G-Notes (G-Man's Blog )
G-Notes (G-Man's Blog )

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Losin' Weight

Posted by G-Man, Sep 2 2010, 02:48 PM

Continuing the subject of my last few blog posts and rants on the RaynMan Power Hour podcast....I'm getting rid of a whole crap load of comics.....that's right the G-man will have a vendor table at Champion City (hopefully I can find somebody to man the table by next weekend...I think I am scrapping the bottom of the barrel as far as volunteers go)

I will be getting rid of hundreds....actually THOUSANDS of comics. Everything must go! And go at crazy prices...I'm talking a buck or less on each and every book or a special deal to any vendors at the show.

As you can see...I just don't have the room to collect all these books any more and take into consideration that I recently thinned out 4,000 books for store credit at two different comic shops (the bulk of the D.C. collection and some rather disappointing recent stuff I picked up),and that there's two more long boxes and three short boxes not in this picture, on the other side of the room....I just have too many damn comics!!!!!

Hundreds I haven't even gotten around to reading yet.

After eliminating about 15 long boxes just a few weeks ago...the collection still comes in at almost 7,000 comics. (6,579 to be exact).

The plan is to get rid of everything that doesn't make me **** in my pants and get the collection down to around a "manageable" 2,000 books.

Several reasons for this decision.

1. My lack of interest in collecting current mainstream books......just Captain America and Secret Avengers are left (once a few limited series conclude)

2. No time to read or manage the collection.

3. Need the room in the office to actually work on producing my own comics for Twilight Star, Studio Akumakaze, and Comic Related. and I need the money to keep the production of these books rolling well into next year.

After Champion City is over, hopefully what is left of the collection is books I can read over and over and enjoy for years to come.....just like when I was kid.

Comments

Ron Fortier, Sep 2 2010, 03:44 PM

Hey, I'm transporting over 50 long boxes to Colorado with me. Am I nuts or what? All on the thought that when I'm an old, toothless geezer strapped to a rocking chair, I'll have some eyesight left to re-read them all again. God, but do we fool ourselves or what?

G-Man, Sep 2 2010, 06:36 PM

50 long boxes.....wow! I started at 47....down to 28 and three short boxes.....and still going.....goal = five long boxes...everything else See Ya!

Don't know . Once I start sorting through it it's going to be hard to get rid of a lot of stuff.

One long box will be all my Master of Kung Fu...the entire series! That's not going anywhere...just recently completed every Marvel Comics appearance of the Guardians of the Galaxy and the Invaders...those books are save too.

Chad Lambert, Sep 3 2010, 06:31 AM

In 2005, I took control of my obsession. I went to Bill Cole and bought 10 grey, acid-free 1/2 boxes - the expensive ones. And I bought 1,500 mylites and acid free boards.

The goal: use them to pair down my 15k collection and fit them into those boxes. The other goal: when those 10 boxes are full, don't add to them. Weed them down for the rest of my life and only keep A-list favorites in my collection.

It's been 5 years and so far, so good. I have 9 half boxes full. It's hard, but it's refreshing to remain that objective about such a passionate hobby.

ChuckMoore, Sep 3 2010, 11:44 AM

I'm starting the long liquidation of 83 long boxes of books at Champion City Comic Con this year! My goal is to eventually get down to about 4 long boxes.

G-Man, Sep 4 2010, 05:19 PM

Guys, thanks for the moral support here. It makes me believe I'm doing the right thing, but it is still a had decision for me to make. Stayed all night last night sorting these books out...finally laying down for about two hours around 9:00 and went back at it.

After giving a few books to my daughter.
Giving a few to Chris Metzger.
Donating several to Champion City prizes, and the Charity Auction for Josh Medors....including at least a hundred books signed by everybody from John Bryne, George Perez, Peter David, Marv Wolfman, Keith Pollard, Billy Tan, Chris Claremont and many more.

When the dust finally settled I'm getting rid of sixteen long boxes worth of books, about 4,500 books.

That's a little more than half of the collection...didn't get it down to five boxes , like I wanted...but did get it down to twelve.

I just bring myself yo part with any more than that.

14 long boxes of comics will be on sale at a table at the Champion City show.....best offer for everything....no set prices....let me know what you want to pay for it......over 3,500 singe books and over 70 completed sets....and I'm sure the guy at the table will make the sale.

There areas three dealers already thinking of buying the entire collection and I promised one the very first crack at it...if one of them manages to come close to what I am willing to sell for..I WILL NOT have a table at the show. I hope that happens to be honest.

G-Man, Sep 6 2010, 06:44 PM

Well....worked on this most of the weekend. It's paid off.

I was going to set up a table at Champion City to sell off these extra books....but I don't have to now. Made a deal with a local dealer today. Got a very fair price.

Enough to get that new sofa the wife has been wanting, take my wife and daughter out to a nice dinner, and not have to worry about the production costs of the next four books I have coming out through Twilight Star....they are paid for as of now.

For you guys out there wanting to get a crack at the G-Man's collection at Champion City....the books will be there....but at a different table. That's all I can say.

« Next Oldest · G-Notes (G-Man's Blog ) · Next Newest »