If You Give a Monkey a Computer.../John Wilson's Blog
If You Give a Monkey a Computer.../John Wilson's Blog

Comics, Art, Life and whatever else occurs to me

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Promises, Promises

Posted by John Wilson, Mar 15 2010, 10:54 AM

There is a song from the 80's by Naked Eyes called Promises, Promises. Here is the chorus:

"You made me promises, promises
You knew you'd never keep
Promises, promises
Why do I believe?"

Of course this is a love song (or more appropriately a falling out of love song), but it works for comics too.

It's no different when you are starting out. Sure, you are working for friends or people that are just starting out. But if you become the guy that is know to be constantly late, or worse, the guy that says he will do the work and doesn't deliver...do you honestly think that your buddy is likely to bring you along when he hits it big? Really? Are you in the market for some lovely swampland?

I realize that life intrudes, stuff happens, etc. etc...believe me I get that more than you could know, but that doesn't matter. Part of being a professional in any industry is that you do not let your personal life intrude on your work if at all possible. When you are self-employed, which is essentially what you are unless you are under contract to a company, this is even more true. You can't let people down just because of your "stuff". Unless you are unconscious or dead, you need to make adjustments to get the job done.

I have been both the promiser who failed and the promisee. For those I let down, you have my apologizes (although there is no excuse); for those who let me down, heed my words:

Bottom line...YOU absolutely, positively, without fail, have to fulfill your commitments. If you promise to do the work, you have to do it. Period. Or you don't get more work. If you can't do it, if you think that there is the slightest chance that you won't be able to do it...THEN DON'T SAY THAT YOU WILL! DON'T MAKE THE PROMISE! IF YOU ALREADY HAVE, COME CLEAN AND ADMIT YOUR MISTAKE EARLY!

It's as simple as that.

Comments

G-Man, Mar 17 2010, 09:16 AM

There's a lesson to be learned here John. One I learned the hard way. Be VERY careful who you climb in bed with.

But I want to make a promise to you right here and now...as well as a challenge.

Write a me a brand new, solid 5-7 page story and I WILL DRAW THIS SUCKER FOR YOU! I'm not the best artist in the world and will let you know I'm best with monsters, ghouls, and space creatures....so try to limit the super models, horses, cars, and skyscrapers.

If you're game....this story will see print......90 DAYS AFTER I RECEIVE THE FINISHED SCRIPT with the best art I have ever created in my 43 years of sucking air.

The Crazy Train is pulling into the station.,pal. Wanna go for a ride?

John Wilson, Mar 17 2010, 07:47 PM

Done!

Genre?

G-Man, Mar 17 2010, 08:21 PM

Sci Fi/Horror/Fantasy.....Cosmic Space Opera? You pick. Looking forward to really attempting to do some top notch art....let's see what happens here.

Mark Topolski, Mar 22 2010, 01:35 PM

John

I know I was the one who let you down! For that again, I am sorry... even without the car accident! All I ask is that ya don't hold that against me and that maybe someday ya can call on me and we can try to work on something again? Again, sorry for the let down.

John Wilson, Mar 30 2010, 07:26 AM

QUOTE (G-Man @ Mar 17 2010, 10:21 PM)
Sci Fi/Horror/Fantasy.....Cosmic Space Opera? You pick. Looking forward to really attempting to do some top notch art....let's see what happens here.

OK Buddy...dinosaurs, sabbertooth tigers, teenage girls...coming at you in a day or two.

« Next Oldest · If You Give a Monkey a Computer.../John Wilson's Blog · Next Newest »

My Picture

About me

To pay the bills and have my summers off, I am a high school Visual Arts teacher but I see myself primarily as an artist. Pen and ink mostly, but I dabble with the paint. Creativity is a driving force in my life. I get bored fast, so keep the conversation moving and I'm with you all the way. Get quiet on me and you might catch me multi-tasking you right out of my life.

As for comics, I own The Dragonwerx (a comics and graphic design studio). Among the titles in the works are Brushstrokes, My Days as a Dead Man and the Icarus Imperative. I do writing, inking and design work for others, so if you have a need, let me know.

My favorite in comics have been/are Starman, Strangers in Paradise, JSA, Outsiders, Birds of Prey, Heroes for Hire, Agents of Atlas, Secret Six, Astonishing X-men and the Planetary among others. While I'm not a great fan of manga I'm willing to be swayed by a really good story, so feel free to recommend some stuff to me.

In addition to my duties here at Comic Related, I am the moderator of the Art Unleashed/Sketch forum. I also post content every weekday on the Sketch Blog on Comic Related and am part of the Related Recap and Zone 4 podcasts. Check it out and let me know what you think.

« July 2014 »

SMTWTFS