If You Give a Monkey a Computer.../John Wilson's Blog
If You Give a Monkey a Computer.../John Wilson's Blog

Comics, Art, Life and whatever else occurs to me

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

It's A Funny Old World, innit?

Posted by John Wilson, Dec 28 2010, 06:15 PM

To paraphrase the Doctor...it's a funny old world, innit?

Although it is still a few days to the new year, I've been feeling introspective lately and I've been thinking of what I have, where I came from and where I am.

*Between myself and my wife and counting work devices, phones and game systems, I have 12 devices in my home right now that can access the Internet...and I am old enough to remember a world without an Internet.
*I have five TVs in my house and they get somewhere around 500 channels. And can't find anything I want to watch most days...and I can remember a time of having one TV with no remote and, on a clear day, five channels and that includes Educational Television. Couldn't find anything then either.
*I was a drug addict and alcoholic for five years...and I take more drugs now just to function and get through my day then I took recreationally in a day.
*There was a time in my life I was pretty sure I would not live past my 30s and I would die alone...and I am now 42 and have been married for 20 years now thank you very much.
*I've aspired to be in comics for most of my life...and now I am, but not in the way that I expected...and I'm much happier that it is playing out this way. I'm forging my own path. I'm working with some really good people but no one is handing me anything...and I like it better this way.

So what is the moral of this story? Probably isn't one. And I am definitely no comics mentor but I figure the best way to look at it is to believe in yourself, trust in yourself and don't let the adversities of life rule your days. It may seem dark right now, hell, it may seem completely black, but things turn out, the road changes and it all works out eventually.

It has to...or what are all the struggles for?

Comments

There are no comments on this entry

« Next Oldest · If You Give a Monkey a Computer.../John Wilson's Blog · Next Newest »

My Picture

About me

To pay the bills and have my summers off, I am a high school Visual Arts teacher but I see myself primarily as an artist. Pen and ink mostly, but I dabble with the paint. Creativity is a driving force in my life. I get bored fast, so keep the conversation moving and I'm with you all the way. Get quiet on me and you might catch me multi-tasking you right out of my life.

As for comics, I own The Dragonwerx (a comics and graphic design studio). Among the titles in the works are Brushstrokes, My Days as a Dead Man and the Icarus Imperative. I do writing, inking and design work for others, so if you have a need, let me know.

My favorite in comics have been/are Starman, Strangers in Paradise, JSA, Outsiders, Birds of Prey, Heroes for Hire, Agents of Atlas, Secret Six, Astonishing X-men and the Planetary among others. While I'm not a great fan of manga I'm willing to be swayed by a really good story, so feel free to recommend some stuff to me.

In addition to my duties here at Comic Related, I am the moderator of the Art Unleashed/Sketch forum. I also post content every weekday on the Sketch Blog on Comic Related and am part of the Related Recap and Zone 4 podcasts. Check it out and let me know what you think.

« September 2014 »

SMTWTFS