Gonzogoose Roost
Gonzogoose Roost

Thoughts and Updates of Brant W. Fowler

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

SPACE - The Trip Up

Posted by Gonzogoose, Apr 24 2010, 06:04 AM

So, while I am without a regular blog as my website is getting updated (eventually moving to Wordpress I think), I figured I'd take advantage of the blog system in the CR forums, at least for this con. We'll see after that.

So, I headed out from Winchester, KY to Columbus, OH last night, getting a much later start than I intended. I was having some pain issues and was trying to get a hold of a doctor to no avail. So I finally just had to leave, right during work traffic at 5pm. Luckily, I seem to have missed all of it as I wasn't ever stuck in traffic and barely had to slow down all the way here.

My poor bladder made me stop twice during a 3 hour trip, making the trip more like 3.5 (waiting in line to get a soda took up about 15) thanks to a lifetime of drinking ice tea every day I'm sure.

About an hour or so into the trip I got very tired, so I tried one of those five hour energy drinks for the first time. Let me tell you, they work. As a friend told me, they don't hype you up or anything, they just level you off and help you maintain your energy level. It kept me awake without making me jittery like some energy drinks or sugar or coffee does. It did give me a slight headache though, but I hadn't had any caffeine all day at that point, so that probably factored in as well.

Oh, during one of my stops at a rest area I was accosted by a young college-age man and his fiance who supposedly were low on gas and only had three bucks and had to go to Toledo, another 246 miles away. Yeah, it had scam written all over it, and his spiel did sound a little too practiced. But at the risk of sounding like a sucker, I thought to myself that if I was truly in that position I would hope someone would have mercy on me. Had I more money on me I would have had them follow me to a gas station and filled them up, and if they refused that would reveal their scam of course. But since I didn't, I gave him five bucks. I figure God knows my heart, and if the guy scammed me then shame on him. It's five bucks.

So once I got back on the road it was smooth sailing. I think I missed one minor turn, but thanks to the GPS it quickly corrected me only losing a minute off my time, which I gained back when I hit a non-congested stretch of highway.

I finally got to my hotel around 8:40ish and got checked in. I actually passed the hotel the first time because it's literally right off the interstate, but I quickly turned around and found it. I'll tell you, though, it's very difficult getting into places in this area. There's a median down the entire road, and if you're not on the right side of the road you have to go down and double back. The Wendy's is the absolute hardest place to get into I've ever seen. There's absolutely no access from the road. You have to drive up into the shopping center, go around a median, and the entrance and exit are the same, so that after you go through the drive thru, you have to circle the entire building again just to exit the parking lot. It's insane.

So after checking in, obviously I ran out to get food, and I stopped by the grocery store (The Great Eagle - No Kroger, Meijer or Wal-Mart around here that I could find) to pick up some granola bars (for dessert and for the con) and some cough medicine as I had been coughing all day. And get this, as I was checking out a squeaky little 16-18 year old kid (man, I feel old typing that) came running over to me giving me this look like I was some kind of criminal and told me he had to check my ID... for the cough syrup! It was Robotussin, and after being dumbfounded enough to look it up once I got back to the hotel, I understood. Apparently, kids drink whole bottles of the stuff to get a buzz. They actually call it Robo-tripping. Who knew?

But seriously, I know I look young for my age, blame it on good living or good genes, or whatever, but young enough to get carded? Come on.

But all that aside, I got back to my hotel, ate my food and watched Walking Tall, the newer version with Duane "The Rock" Johnson. Such a good movie. And after that I chatted online with Chuck, John and Lisa a bit, then turned in for the night.

I had a lot of trouble sleeping through the night. I tossed and turned, woke up several times coughing, and finally just said skip it and got up at 5:30. I took my time getting dressed, watched a little TV, checked my email and hit the breakfast bar. Then I came back here to type this.

In the meantime, I saw Jason Berek-Lewis on Facebook and started chatting with him, and still am in fact as I type this. It's been too long, and it's nice to be in touch with an old friend. If only we could get him to Champion City the entire original Zone 4 cast would all be in one place at one time together, which would be whole new levels of awesomeness.

It's 8:30 now, and the I believe we can get into the convention hall at 9. Though it's only 5 minutes from where I'm at, so I'm in no rush. If I left now I'd have to sit there and wait, so I'm just taking my time and chilling. I might try to find a donut place and take them for all my friends at the con, especially Lora whom I still feel bad for eating her donut, unwittingly though it may have been. If I get there about 9:20ish that'll work. The Carsons are helping me out with CR today, and Brian is supposed to show up around 9:30ish, so I need to be there before that.

And with that, Jason's baby is awake and he has to go, and I have nothing more to say until later. I'll try to give an update each night after the con as I doubt there will be internet access in the convention hall.

Lata

Comments

G-Man, Apr 25 2010, 06:54 AM

That is the craziest place to put a Wendy's that I have ever seen.

Having somebody come to Champion City all the way from Australia would indeed be all kind of awesomeness!

« Next Oldest · Gonzogoose Roost · Next Newest »