Small talk with BFR.
Small talk with BFR.

Tidbits about comics with an old fan.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Where do comic movies go from here?

Posted by BFR, Mar 10 2009, 07:09 PM

[font="Arial Black"][/font]"Oooohhh, Shiny!" The words kept repeating themselves over and over in my head. I had just got through seeing the Watchmen with some friends. I did enjoy the movie(we will discuss it more later on in the blog) and anybody else who has seen it will remember the Wolverine movie trailer that I led this article with it's final line by Sabertooth. That final line from that trailer seemed to have left a bad taste in my mouth and I really couldn't understand why. I mulled over my feelings over the following weekend. Then it hit me! The Wolverine trailer reminded me of a hokie COMIC MOVIE!!!!! I sat there stunned at my revelation thinking "Have I become the comic movie snob I used to jeer at?" Or is it that I am approaching 40 and you are suppose to become the adult you poked fun of as a kid. I was on the verge of committing Hare Kare when a momentary lapse of reason graced my feeble and aging brain biggrin.gif "Could it be possible that comic movies are evolving beyond the paper boundaries that got them started in the first place?" We have had 2 comic movies over the last year that crossed huge into our pop culture mainstream, that would be "Iron Man" and "Dark Knight". These 2 movies both grossed 320 and 540 million respectfully, more important they are considered very respectful movies with "Dark Knight" getting a lot of Oscar consideration. This was unheard of 5-10 years ago. These movies are from opposite sides of the spectrum with Iron Man being very hip, pleasant, yet serious and not clownish. "Dark Knight" was the dark side of comic movies with it being one of the few that could have disturbing themes, thus showing that comics were not just for kids. What is even more remarkable is that these movies stand alone as great entertainment for people who do not read comics. These 2 movies, along with "Spider-Man 2 and Xmen 2" are movies not for kids. They deal with real life situations and consequences. My apologies for anybody wants to rate other comic movies with these 4(Spider-Man, X-men-both 1st movies, etc...) These 4 movies have set the bar very high for future movies and they have the box office to prove it(with X-men 2 being the low man on that totem pole).

This leads me back to "Watchmen". We can debate until we are all blue in the face if it is a great movie or how well it will do at the box office. Personally I liked it, but that is for another debate. Everybody has to agree that the the movie is unprecedented in terms of sex, violence, grim existence, and moral dilemmas. We can thank Mr. Alan Moore and Mr. Dave Gibbons for that. Yet Watchmen made it work for me and I realized that the comic movies have grown up just like me. Don't get me wrong I still love to read my comics, although most is now in tradeback form. Yet I find myself having trouble going back to the fluffy, hero vs bad guy, cutesy lines speaking, comic movies that I used to adore. Maybe this is a temporary thing. Maybe its that Wolverine might just be a bad movie, I don't know. Lord knows I have made excuses for some bad comic movies in the past(Punisher with Dolph Lundgren or that god awful 70's Captain America movie come to mind) but that was at at time when comic movies were a rarity. Now they are the norm and in mass production because they make money. The bar has been set higher and I fear the majority of releases that have yet to come are doomed to disappoint. Not because of the character but d/t if the director makes the mistake of making a good COMIC MOVIE as opposed to just making a good movie. I hope that the future directors of these movies do not make that mistake.

The other question is "What is the next big thing for comic movies?" Well for Marvel, you have Iron Man 2 and Spider-Man 4. Very rarely does a sequel, let alone the 4 installment, do better then the 1st(my apologies for Spider-Man 2 which did). The Next big thing for Marvel will be the build up to the Avengers. Marvel seems to be pretty smart building up to the Mega Team event by having a movie for each member. Most notable would be the Captain America movie which will take place in WW II. There is also Ant Man/Wasp movie and one for Thor. Thor seems to be the hardest to predict since it involves Norse mythology. Also it would be hard to script a god on earth who wears a costume that could transcend horribly on the big screen. For DC it gets a little tricky. How do you top "Dark Knight"? Even if the 3rd Batman movie does well, odds are it will not touch the 2nd movie. Superman is in limbo, so who do you go to? For all the talk, Green Lantern, Wonder Woman, Flash, and Green Arrow do not hold a candle to the 2 heavyweights. Even if a descent movie is made, turnout might be smaller then expected. Oh well, just thought I would put a few ideas out there. Let me know what you think. Until the 1st week of May, just remember these 2 sobering words; "Oooohh Shiny!" Thanks for taking the time until the next topic. Take care. tongue.gif

Comments

G-Man, Mar 13 2009, 10:39 PM

That's better, Frankie!

« Next Oldest · Small talk with BFR. · Next Newest »

« October 2014 »

SMTWTFS