IPB
MORE @ COMIC RELATED: NEWS COLUMNS REVIEWS PODCASTS BLOGS

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Adam Hughes stops convention requests at the con., One Bad Apple.
Greg G.
post May 3 2011, 05:50 PM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 19,808

Just found this article on Bleeding Cool.

I'm really kind of bummed out, because fixed pricing would have made obtaining a sketch affordable; and I missed my opportunity to get a sketch at Mid Ohio Con last year.

It's nice that he'll still offer it on ebay for folks that can afford it, and that's the problem for me. As a collector I can't afford the high prices Mr. Hughes work will inevitably command on the site where there's more money than sense.

When I went to the Pittsburgh show I spotted an Ethan Van Sciver sketch there at a booth that I saw him drawing at Mid Ohio Con, marked up to $400.

Flippers continue to ruin it for the rest of us. That's the way the cookie crumbles.

--------------------
You know, life is funny.
If you don't repeat the actions of your own success
You won't be successful
You gotta know your own formula, your own ingredients
What made you, YOU.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Tim Tilley
post May 3 2011, 06:34 PM
Post #2

Freelance Writer and Colorist!

Member No.: 2,926

I think anything more than $25 per sketch is too pricey... but that's just me.

+Quote Post
Spaced4SimonPegg
post May 3 2011, 07:54 PM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 19,582

I bet Spazzy is glad she got her sketch from him at C2E2.

--------------------

+Quote Post
MasonEasley
post May 3 2011, 07:59 PM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Member No.: 15,679

Holy crap! I posted about this in my thread. I figured eventually Hughes would get pissed and just stop doing con sketches altogether. I mean why bother? If he can sell his own sketches for thousands of dollars instead of a couple of hundred bucks, why wouldn't he?

--------------------

+Quote Post
SapphireGypsy
post May 3 2011, 09:21 PM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Member No.: 19,556

Makes me really mad that I've been out of work so I couldn't even afford to get one of his cheaper con sketches. Now that they'll be going for WAY more than his usual fee I'll probably never own an Adam Hughes.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Greg G.
post May 3 2011, 09:22 PM
Post #6

Advanced Member

It's unfortunate.

It would be nice if artists could just view this as another form of work for hire. Sure there's still going to be jerks that buy and resell your work, but ignoring those bad apples; you're penalizing the fans who would be willing to pay you for a custom illustration by cutting them off.

This is why I enjoy Ethan Van Sciver. He acknowledges there are jerks out there, but he still makes an effort to service his fans with custom sketches.

This is also me being selfish. I would love to get a sketch from Mr. Hughes, but given how much his work goes for on eBay versus what I make annually it's just not possible.

On the other hand, it does open a window of opportunity for Rob Granito. tongue.gif

--------------------
You know, life is funny.
You won't be successful
What made you, YOU.

+Quote Post
SapphireGypsy
post May 3 2011, 09:40 PM
Post #7

Advanced Member

I can only hope that he'll change his mind after a period of time. Honestly giving this guy the ability to say that he got the LAST commission Con -sketch he did is just another feather in his cap.

I can understand his frustration as well though. To have put all that work into something that the buyer didn't even enjoy... well except for the money that he made on it. It could get depressing.

I hope, that with time and good buyers and an out pouring from the fans, that he'll start doing them again.

I like that they said that they understand when people have to sell them after a time, when life gets in the way. What this guy did was pretty crappy and disrespectful to Adam. He's a really great guy, I got a chance to talk to him for a second and for much longer to Allison at C2E2. I didn't want to bug him because he was drawing for someone and to me someone was paying him for his time, I just wanted to say I loved his stuff.

--------------------

+Quote Post
MasonEasley
post May 3 2011, 09:47 PM
Post #8

Advanced Member

Yeah, it sucks that you can't ask Hughes to draw your favorite character anymore.

Thanks a lot jerks. mad.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
wwi3313
post May 3 2011, 09:55 PM
Post #9

Advanced Member

Member No.: 3,055

I think Hughes is the jerk in this case -- I refer back to my stance on swiping and plagiarism -- if someone else finds a way to profit off of my work, good for them! There's no sense in whining about what someone did with the work once they bought it -- they paid the price you charged and now it belongs to them, fair and square! If they choose to wipe their behinds with it in effigy, its THEIR business and NOT the artist's.

--------------------

+Quote Post
SapphireGypsy
post May 3 2011, 10:15 PM
Post #10

Advanced Member

I try to put myself in his shoes. I work for 2 weeks on a scarf and sell it for a competitive and fair price, then turn around and see the person that I've just told it to sell it for twice what I charged them. It happening once in a while, not so horrible. It happening more and more frequently, it would make you want to stop doing it.

He's seeing a problem and attempting to correct it. It's an extreme reaction but I don't think he's being such an jerk about it. He offers those sketches at a lower price because they're at the con. I can understand him getting mad at this guy pulling the heart strings of Allison to get his sketch and then selling it right away. sad.gif

I wonder how the auctions will work. Will he put the auction up before the con then draw them AT the con so you could still request a specific character or if he'll just draw what he wants and sell them after the con?

--------------------

+Quote Post
Greg G.
post May 3 2011, 11:30 PM
Post #11

Advanced Member

QUOTE (MasonEasley @ May 3 2011, 11:47 PM) *
Yeah, it sucks that you can't ask Hughes to draw your favorite character anymore.

Thanks a lot jerks. mad.gif

I completely get this as well, but you know what? I'm not joking around here, a lot of the neat unique non-Wonder Woman, Catwoman, and soon to be Zatanna work I see out of Hughes is from fan convention sketches.

It's not like he has a large current body of work outside of covers. I'm not complaining, but I don't buy comics for the covers. If he's on a book I'm reading doing covers, great - if not I'll wait for Cover Run Vol.2.

As a fan it rubs me the wrong way. It would be nice if artists that object would just try to feel out the fans a bit more. If someone comes up to you with a sketchbook filled with gorgeous artwork from various industry icons, there's a pretty good chance that if you add an illustration to that book you won't be seeing it on eBay any time soon.

As someone that can make some marks on a page, I can see why it would be frustrating. You want to make the most money off your art that you can. Though to be fair you have to temper making the most money versus having a satisfied fan base.

Maybe now he'll have the time to finish All-Star Wonder Woman? tongue.gif

--------------------
You know, life is funny.
You won't be successful
What made you, YOU.

+Quote Post
Tim Tilley
post May 4 2011, 04:52 AM
Post #12

Freelance Writer and Colorist!

Member No.: 2,926

I'd rather get a FR3D-L4NG sketch than a Adam Hughes sketch anyway. The more fame an artist gets, the more it goes to their head, and at a certain point they go back to their amateur roots and think that their art is worth thousands of dollars per page. I don't care how famous you are, I don't think sketches are or should be worth that much. It's a sketch, not a large "original" oil painting.

There are some really good pin-up artists that charge far less for sketches, and they continue to charge less knowing that there is a chance someone would profit off of it, but it doesn't make them charge more or stop, they do it for the fans. You'll always have jerks on the internet who'll do things like this, but you won't always have fans if you don't treat them right.

+Quote Post
MasonEasley
post May 4 2011, 06:15 AM
Post #13

Advanced Member

QUOTE (wwi3313 @ May 3 2011, 11:55 PM) *
I think Hughes is the jerk in this case -- I refer back to my stance on swiping and plagiarism -- if someone else finds a way to profit off of my work, good for them! There's no sense in whining about what someone did with the work once they bought it -- they paid the price you charged and now it belongs to them, fair and square! If they choose to wipe their behinds with it in effigy, its THEIR business and NOT the artist's.

Yeah, but Hughes is taking the flipper's method and taking his artwork to ebay himself and cutting out the middleman altogether. He figures (probably correctly) that he can make 5x as much money putting up 2 sketches on Ebay than doing 5 sketches at shows. Heck, the sketches for ebay are probably going to look a lot better to boot.

Its shrewd business sense, and I honestly can't be angry about it.

--------------------

+Quote Post
wwi3313
post May 4 2011, 06:15 AM
Post #14

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Tim Tilley @ May 4 2011, 06:52 AM) *
I'd rather get a FR3D-L4NG sketch than a Adam Hughes sketch anyway. The more fame an artist gets, the more it goes to their head, and at a certain point they go back to their amateur roots and think that their art is worth thousands of dollars per page. I don't care how famous you are, I don't think sketches are or should be worth that much. It's a sketch, not a large "original" oil painting.

There are some really good pin-up artists that charge far less for sketches, and they continue to charge less knowing that there is a chance someone would profit off of it, but it doesn't make them charge more or stop, they do it for the fans. You'll always have jerks on the internet who'll do things like this, but you won't always have fans if you don't treat them right.

EXACTLY! Being miffed that you didn't get "top dollar" for your work is just being GREEDY! Hughes charges what he does because he knows he's at the cap mark that a "general fan" could afford -- (I would NEVER pay that much for a convention sketch! Cover...maybe? Convention sketch -- hecks no!) and on top of that, I believe more often than not he's not in a position where he needs to make back his table for the weekend at these shows, so where is he actually losing? If its a matter of the time spent -- DRAW FASTER! But don't complain about this business you've CHOSEN to be in because you don't feel you're getting your due! Either charge the big dollars you think you deserve or SHUT UP!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Guest_cougar18_*
post May 4 2011, 06:51 AM
Post #15

Guests

QUOTE (wwi3313 @ May 4 2011, 05:15 AM) *
EXACTLY! Being miffed that you didn't get "top dollar" for your work is just being GREEDY! Hughes charges what he does because he knows he's at the cap mark that a "general fan" could afford -- (I would NEVER pay that much for a convention sketch! Cover...maybe? Convention sketch -- hecks no!) and on top of that, I believe more often than not he's not in a position where he needs to make back his table for the weekend at these shows, so where is he actually losing? If its a matter of the time spent -- DRAW FASTER! But don't complain about this business you've CHOSEN to be in because you don't feel you're getting your due! Either charge the big dollars you think you deserve or SHUT UP!

There is a very, very easy solution to this that Adam needs to employ. MAke each sketch individual, such as 'To wwi3313, all the best, AH!' and that solves the problem. (Btw, I just used wwi3313's name here, because it was the name of the last post, not out of any grievance or implying they are a scalper. I know they are not).

Guys like Barry Kitson, to name a few, do it all the time, and by doing so, it makes the resale value for the sketch considerably lower and harder for scalpers to pass on, yet allows the sketch to remain at it's regular price. Kitson, in a sign of his infinite coolness, will provide a sketch for free, because someone has cued up to get an original piece of artwork.
Request a commission though, and one has to pay for it ie No dedication, and it will cost ya. He could teach Adam Hughes a thing or two on how to handle fans.

Put the sketch requester's name on the actual drawing, and there you go. Problem solved.
Adam Hughes should rethink his strategy.

And I would also pay for a Fred Lang original, with my name on it, rather than paying an enormous amount for a page that I have no plans on selling sans name.

If that last line sounds like I am dissing Fred Lang's art, I assure you all, I am not, but I am saying that I would not sell something by an artist after either paying for it or being lucky enough to get a free drawing.

This post has been edited by cougar18: May 4 2011, 07:04 AM

+Quote Post
MasonEasley
post May 4 2011, 06:52 AM
Post #16

Advanced Member

QUOTE (wwi3313 @ May 4 2011, 08:15 AM) *

Have you seen what his work goes for on ebay? He put up a rejected cover pic of Green Lantern and it went for over a grand. The entire piece looked less finished than his convention sketches. Also his sketch cards routinely go for 400-500 bucks a pop. Again, this is Hughes himself putting the work on ebay, no one else. He even started the bids at $0.99.

Hughes was being NICE by charging people what he charged at shows. That's why he's a bit ticked off about the whole thing. He was providing a service and someone was taking advantage of it.

In the end, the people who are paying those huge ebay rates are going to still be there, and are probably going to be paying more since they know when and where to find Hughes' original works. The ones who lose in this are the fans who don't have fat wallets, and won't be able to afford those original Adam Hughes pieces.

This post has been edited by MasonEasley: May 4 2011, 06:54 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Moemoxy
post May 4 2011, 07:05 AM
Post #17

Member No.: 19,863

Why would anyone pay thousands of dollars for a sketch anyway? There are fools who will charge less than fifty bucks.

+Quote Post
wwi3313
post May 4 2011, 07:56 AM
Post #18

Advanced Member

QUOTE (MasonEasley @ May 4 2011, 08:52 AM) *
Have you seen what his work goes for on ebay? He put up a rejected cover pic of Green Lantern and it went for over a grand. The entire piece looked less finished than his convention sketches. Also his sketch cards routinely go for 400-500 bucks a pop. Again, this is Hughes himself putting the work on ebay, no one else. He even started the bids at $0.99.

Hughes was being NICE by charging people what he charged at shows. That's why he's a bit ticked off about the whole thing. He was providing a service and someone was taking advantage of it.

In the end, the people who are paying those huge ebay rates are going to still be there, and are probably going to be paying more since they know when and where to find Hughes' original works. The ones who lose in this are the fans who don't have fat wallets, and won't be able to afford those original Adam Hughes pieces.

Excuse my French, but $@!# being NICE! Being nice is dumping a bunch of unsold/rejected stuff for free for fans to pillage thru. That's NICE! Charging me, essentially RENT isn't. And if I do drop that, I don't wanna hear ANY COMPLAINTS if after I've shelled out my dough, that I turn around and sell it for more than I bought it. Call me a solider of fortune, but when I've bought it, its mine -- NOT HIS! That's the beast of WFH -- but Hughes already rubbed me wrong with his gripe about that ICONIC Jean Grey/Emma Frost piece he did a few years back -- he ACTUALLY complained that Marvel let Wizard use it (or rather his lack of getting paid for Wizard's use of it) -- he wanted to double-dip! He sold the piece to Marvel and then he wants in on what they did with it -- that's all kinds of SHEISTY!!!

But Cougar is 100% CORRECT, which just proves Hughes is being a bit of an @$$hole here. Sign it to the guy in question -- DONE DEAL! But instead, we have to hear about how this other guy is so bad for making his purchase an investment? Can't get behind that one...

--------------------

+Quote Post
MasonEasley
post May 4 2011, 07:57 AM
Post #19

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Moemoxy @ May 4 2011, 09:05 AM) *
Why would anyone pay thousands of dollars for a sketch anyway? There are fools who will charge less than fifty bucks.

Its not really a sketch. Its a commission.

--------------------

+Quote Post
MasonEasley
post May 4 2011, 08:11 AM
Post #20

Advanced Member

QUOTE (wwi3313 @ May 4 2011, 09:56 AM) *
Excuse my French, but $@!# being NICE! Being nice is dumping a bunch of unsold/rejected stuff for free for fans to pillage thru. That's NICE! Charging me, essentially RENT isn't. And if I do drop that, I don't wanna hear ANY COMPLAINTS if after I've shelled out my dough, that I turn around and sell it for more than I bought it. Call me a solider of fortune, but when I've bought it, its mine -- NOT HIS! That's the beast of WFH -- but Hughes already rubbed me wrong with his gripe about that ICONIC Jean Grey/Emma Frost piece he did a few years back -- he ACTUALLY complained that Marvel let Wizard use it (or rather his lack of getting paid for Wizard's use of it) -- he wanted to double-dip! He sold the piece to Marvel and then he wants in on what they did with it -- that's all kinds of SHEISTY!!!

Well you're not his target audience. His target audience is people who can afford to pay hundreds of dollars for original comic artwork. It just so happens that his work is clearly worth a lot more than that, and he's known that for quite some time. He's selling you something at far below market value, He's making it just for you, and he's working hard to make it look awesome. Sure he can put your name on it, but I've seen those up on ebay as well, and people still pay thousands of dollars for it, even if their name isn't on it.

Hughes isn't griping that he has to draw sketches for people. Hughes is griping because people were taking advantage of him. That's a fair gripe to make. Now you could make the argument that he simply realized that he could make more money selling stuff via ebay than via conventions and is using this incident as an excuse, but you can't fault him for that either. That's simply being a good businessman.

Market forces are driving all of this, and Hughes simply decided to hop in the driver's seat.

This post has been edited by MasonEasley: May 4 2011, 08:12 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th October 2014 - 03:13 PM