If You Give a Monkey a Computer.../John Wilson's Blog
If You Give a Monkey a Computer.../John Wilson's Blog

Comics, Art, Life and whatever else occurs to me

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Getting Zen about It All

Posted by John Wilson, Nov 25 2010, 09:35 AM

I know it's been a while since I've blogged but it all goes back to the interesting times I talked about so long ago, and in all honesty, I'm really bored with my own life.

This blog was almost called "Get Angry". I had this whole treatise about how anger denotes passion and you need passion to achieve the work you want to achieve and to get anywhere in your career. But that's Bullshit.

The truth you need to get zen about everything. You are going to get screwed over by people. You cannot control the commitment, enthusiasm or output of your collaborators. You can't make an editor like your stuff, you can't make the printer run faster and you can't make the customers buy yor stuff.

People sense desperation and most people don't respond well to the hard sell. But if you express a feeling of calm confidence, if you present yourself in a way that shows pride in your work but not desperation...if you get zen about it all, then everything will just fall into place.

Or at least that's what I keep telling myself.

Comments

There are no comments on this entry

« Next Oldest · If You Give a Monkey a Computer.../John Wilson's Blog · Next Newest »

My Picture

About me

To pay the bills and have my summers off, I am a high school Visual Arts teacher but I see myself primarily as an artist. Pen and ink mostly, but I dabble with the paint. Creativity is a driving force in my life. I get bored fast, so keep the conversation moving and I'm with you all the way. Get quiet on me and you might catch me multi-tasking you right out of my life.

As for comics, I own The Dragonwerx (a comics and graphic design studio). Among the titles in the works are Brushstrokes, My Days as a Dead Man and the Icarus Imperative. I do writing, inking and design work for others, so if you have a need, let me know.

My favorite in comics have been/are Starman, Strangers in Paradise, JSA, Outsiders, Birds of Prey, Heroes for Hire, Agents of Atlas, Secret Six, Astonishing X-men and the Planetary among others. While I'm not a great fan of manga I'm willing to be swayed by a really good story, so feel free to recommend some stuff to me.

In addition to my duties here at Comic Related, I am the moderator of the Art Unleashed/Sketch forum. I also post content every weekday on the Sketch Blog on Comic Related and am part of the Related Recap and Zone 4 podcasts. Check it out and let me know what you think.

« October 2014 »

SMTWTFS