3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Thursday Night Comic Review
G-Man
post Sep 11 2008, 07:40 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,660

Just finished reading my some what downsized comic stash for the week...and for the most part ....a rather less than excitable night.

Secret Invasion: Runaways/Young Avengers # 3 which concluded the three part limited series... was down right disappointing....a shame because it had potential in the beginning.

Green Arrow/Black Canary #12.....was okay.....a lot of things get resolved...and things start to look a little better for Connor....the shot of next month's cover "sneak peek" looks ridicolous....but I still can't find it in me drop this book...yet. I wish D.C would just let kids age...naturally...how many times do we have to see a child mysteriously age nine years. Been there, done that....it was called Flash: The Fastest Cancellation Alive.

Secret Invasion #6.....in my opinion the weakest issue since the story started. A few one liners that were cool here and there....nice to see Captain America, Thor , and Iron Man leading the Avengers into overwhelming odds...(although this Cap..isn't Steve Rogers....still feels good)...and that was the highlights. Not a bad read...just less entertaining than the five issues that came before.

One of the two "best" books I read tonight was Secret Invasion: Inhumans#2

I thought the first issue of this series was pretty dang gone impressive...this one turns it up a notch. BLAM!
Everything from Black Bolt's dire straits at the hands of really nasty Skrull .....I guess you can call him a medical doctor....or sicko. Both terms work well.

Medusa is off the hook in this book....as is the rest of the Royal Family....Crystal was awesome...I haven't liked the Inhumans this much since............forever. The best I have seen these characters used since they were created...no disrespect intended for any of their past creative teams....including Lee and Kirby.

Loved the "telepathic" powered Skrull holding Black Bolt and Medusa's son captive.

You can definitely see where the events in this book are going to lead to the next "big event" ....War of Kings.

The second book I really liked and left me with the warm fuzzies...is a book that has been out for a couple of weeks now and I just got around to buying tonight.

D.C Universe: Last Will And Testament.

I've put this comic back four times already..partially because of my current feelings towards D.C comics...but tonight I bit the bullet and bought the thing...and didn't regret it. Russell really hyped this book up and I was afraid it couldn't live up to that hype...but felt it not only lived up to the hype, but exceeded my expectations.

This was the last book I read tonight (mine is actually a second printing with a different cover than the one shown here)...and I loved the fact that you didn't have to know anything about the Final Crisis storyline to enjoy this book.

After all it centered on most of my favorite chacters of the D.C.U....that being certain members of the Justice League, Teen Titans, and Outsiders....as well as Rocky from the Challengers of the Unknown.

Good stuff....well worth the investment. Check it out if you haven't already.

An extra bonus for the night...the comic shop had a poster on the counter of Marvel Zombies # 3 which comes out late October....which features Machine Man and Jocassta defending the planet from Zombies attempting to invade Earth by means of the Nexus of Realities in the Man-Thing's swamp in the Florida Everglades.

I've never read any of the previous Marvel Zombie stuff...but this actually looks good. Eric hyped the coming of this book over in the Machine Man topic elswhere on the Comic Related forum and I've been liking the concept of this story since he mentioned it.

Who knows...maybe Man-Thing will pop up as well......Swamp Monster...Living Robot...Zombies...what more could you ask for...especially in October.

--------------------
"Reality is only for those who lack imagination" don't know who first said that....but it works for me!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
G-Man
post Sep 18 2008, 08:25 PM
Post #2

Due to a whole lot of current crazy activity in G-Man-Land.....I actually got my weekly comics a day earlier than usual and I kept it on the somewhat small side this week. I already mentioned the Gene Colan Tribute book in another post...

...which includes some of Gene's best work on Daredevil, Tomb of Dracula, Tales of Suspense (featuring Iron Man), Doctor Strange...and yes...even Howard the Duck. About ten Colan classics in one book for ten dollars...hand picked by some of the top name creators of today's comics. I have to admit I haven't gotten a chance to read this one yet, but looking forward to doing so tomorrow evening once I get a chance to settle in for the night.

What I did read.....Mighty Avengers #18.

This book felt like a "filler issue" from the very beginning....Brian Michael Bendis can throw one of these at you from time to time. A lot of talk....nothing really happens. A whole issue spent with Nick fury and his "Secret Warriors"...which I could have done without. Both the Mighty Avengers and the New Avengers have been pretty good during the whole Secret Invasion campaign...but this book was a let down from recent issues.

The only other "new" comic I bought and read was Guardians of the Galaxy #5.

While much better than Mighty Avengers #18.....issue # 5 of the new Guardians book was my least favorite of the series thus far. The Guardians try to come to grips with a Skrull "infestation" on Knowhere...and character development does continue to move forward.....Gamora and Quasar (Phyla-Vell) have an interesting heart to heart...Warlock discovers a "secret" about Cosmos the talking dog. Star-Hawk's back...(my favorite part of the book)..that is other than Drax and his solution to discovering who really is a Skrull...and who isn't. Guess we get to see how that ends up next issue and Mantis may just get to see her less than cheerful foreshadowing in issue # 1 of the series come true.

I picked up one other thing while at the Bookery this week. Magik #1-4.

I used to own this limited series a long time ago....and as I recall....never really fond of it. With the upcoming X-Infernus event which features the return of Magik I thought I would see if I could find the series in the dollar bins...had no problem doing so. The series takes a look at what happened during the missing years of Illyana Rasputin's life (which literally went by in a flash of an eye between panels in issue #160 of the Uncanny X-Men).

Glad I was able to find the complete four issue series, glad to have them in the collection...again...but after reading through them a second time I can easily see why I got rid of them the first time around.

Not Claremont's best work...of John Buscema's....Ron Frenz's...or Tom Palmer's. Just did a pretty good job of reminding me...I never was really a Magik fan.

Belasco seems to be a "quirky" villain to have such a major role in the history of Illyana. He was very good as a B-list level bad guy that appeared in Ka-Zar the Savage # 10-12...(now that was good stuff...written by Bruce Jones and illustrated by Brent Anderson). As a matter of fact....Brent Anderson was the guest penciler on Uncanny X-Men # 160 and I'm willling to bet he talked Claremont into using the Belasco character....and Claremont (after doing so intially for that one book)....tried his best to make the guy a beleivable bad guy......but falls short of his goal.

Belasco was and will always will be nothing more than a glorified errand boy for the " Elder Gods". I know Magik does have a lot of fans....and I'm sure that X-Infernus event later this year will be a successful storyline....but the whole thing (other than Uncanny X-Men # 160, which is actually a good book/story)... had a rather less than magical start.

--------------------
"Reality is only for those who lack imagination" don't know who first said that....but it works for me!

+Quote Post
G-Man
post Sep 26 2008, 07:27 PM
Post #3

This week I actually managed to buy my books on the usual Thursday night, BUT with the exception of one book (Captain America #42....which I'll talk about just a little later)...I didn't get a chance to read anything until Friday night.

Well now I've knocked back yet another week's of comics...and just in case anybody is really interested...here's what I thought....starting with Nova #17.

This issue saw the the Nova/Super-Skrull cliffhanger from the previous issue resolved pretty much the way I thought it would go. But now it seems I'm going to have to pick up She-Hulk issues #32 and #33 to see what else good old Kl'rt is up to. No problem...She-Hulk...Peter David....I think I can pick up a couple of issues. (but the problem may be finding a copy of issue #32 which I hear is selling out at local comic shops like crazy.)

We also got to see the return Darkhawk.....a character we haven't seen since the conclusion of the Loners limited series. Seems Mr.Darkhawk decided California didn't really know how to party...went back east....and got a job at Project Pegasus...where Nova's brother is now working.

Project Pegasus.....ring a bell? It should. Deliberate foreshadowing of what was waiting on the last page. A second nicely placed clue....the new director of Project Pegaus was named Doctor Gruenwald. A character that not only shares the last name of Marvel Comics writer/editor...made famous for his run on Captain America and the Squadron Supreme....but also looked a lot like him as well (a great homage to a great guy who was taken from us much too early).

Gruenwald also wrote another series for Marvel about a character that used to be the head of sercurity at ...Project Pegasus....a position now held by Darkhawk....any idea who's waiting on the last page yet?

One final clue? This one time Avenger "apparently" was killed in the Nova Annihilation limited series.
Of course that could be a Skrull on the last page. But I don't think so....not with the trail of bread crumbs left by writers Dan Abnett and Andy Lanning...guess we find out next issue.

Next up.....The New Avengers # 45.

MUCH BETTER than it's Mighty Avengers counterpart which came out last week. Looks at the House of M "event" through the eyes of the two Skrull agents that has infritrated the Avengers. Pretty interesting story. My one true complaint....no Billy Tan....but we do get Jim Cheung...who is a damn good artist in his own rite. I think Tan and Cheung are actually working in tandem....doing every other issue of the series...and that's cool I guess. Love Cheung's work...here this issue....and the stuff he did on the young avngers title a few years ago.

Now a MAJOR comic event.....Captain America #42.

This one is going to be talked about for a while as it wraps up Act Three of the Death of Captain America storyline. Russell already covered this issue in an earlier post....and he's pretty dead on....but I think I liked the issue a little more than he did. I think what happened to the Skull was unexpected....at least I didn't see it coming. And I think the way the Falcon handled Sharon was alright...."The good guys" did win.....in their eyes.

Without giving anything away....Bucky...the new Cap...succeded in what he wanted to do....Natasha and Sam succeded in what they wanted to do. And they don't have the advantage that we the reader does...things look a little more "final" to them.

Russell is 100% correct in saying this book is considered by many to be the best comic being published by Marvel (on a monthly basis)...and recent results in Chuck's "You Can Only Get 10" forum post seems to soundly back that up....many of those who responded have Captain America on their list.

Besides wrapping up the latest arc on the book...once again as Russell comments...this story drops some serious hints at where it may be headed in the very near future....including the fact issue # 50 is just a few short issues away. What does that mean for Mr.Barnes?

And speaking of hints....wow....Mr.Brubaker is pulling out all the stops this week when it comes to romantic hook ups in his books.....Bucky...and....(edited for those who have not yet read the book).

And is Sam Wilson thinking what I think he's thinking.....that would prove VERY interesting if....or ..when ...that Steve guy pops up again.

Now on to the last book.....what a shocker...if you told me thirty days ago that there would be another book out the same week that Captain America # 42 came out...that I would like BETTER....I'd still be laughing.

Not laughing anymore.

Daredevil #111. WOW.

Part one in a new story arc. The first appearance of Lady Bulleye...a character I aleady like. Very Much. Love what she did to those three thugs...great move.

A KILLER flashback of Bullseye himself at his best doing what he does best. "When it mattered."

A guess appearance by Danny Rand....looks like he will be playing a major role in this storyline as does the Black Tarantula.

And remember what I said about Brubaker hooking the guys and girls up.....he does that BIG TIME in this book. Two characters that I've been wanting to get together....really get together in this story. Love the morning after reaction.

I can't believe Brubaker went there...but if it didn't happen...it just wouldn't have seemed...realistic. (like IF Brad Pitt didn't shoot Kevin Spacey in the head in the movie Seven) Right or wrong....I think this would have happened. Now it has...and everything from here on out changes.

Forever.

Plus.....I think I see a new super-powered cast member in the future for this book. Danny may have done his job a little to well...Matt too.

I like where this book is going.

Who is Lady Bullseye? The spark this book needed to push itover the top....besting Captain America!!!! At least if somebody was going to out do Brubaker on Cap...it was Brubaker on Daredevil

I already looked at what's being released next week...and looks like I get a week off. So I'll save that little wad of cash and take it to Mid-Ohio Con next weekend. Maybe I can find She-Hulk # 32 and # 33.

See you in two weeks.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Conscientious Se...
post Sep 27 2008, 05:22 AM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Member No.: 2,557

Brubaker is remarkable. He and Johns consistently impress me by taking concepts I think are awful and turning them into gold. "The Sinestro Corps?" What, like we need another 3,000 copies of the same bad guy we've been using for fifty years? Please. And bringing Bucky back? What the hell was HE thinking?

Well, both of those things worked out very nicely, thank you very much, and so when something like "Lady Bullseye" came up, I wasn't quite as hesitant to give it a shot as I would ordinarily have been.

I think that my tempered enthusiasm was read as negativity. It's not so much that I didn't like Cap #42 (although I too think it was the second-best Marvel book to come out this week--but behind Deadpool, not Daredevil), it's just that I had some issues with it as a "final" installment in this major story, because a ton of things were left unresolved. Remember the end of the Reign of the Supermen? When that massive, impressive beast of a story ended, it was OVER and we were ready for essentially a reboot of Superman. We don't quite get that in this issue of Cap, which is probably more fitting for the type of book it is (more real-world), but it's less karmically satisfying.

+Quote Post
G-Man
post Sep 27 2008, 06:33 AM
Post #5

There was actually a point in Cap # 42 early on (about the first four pages or so) that I had this dread feeling of..."Oh My God....Brubaker's going to drop the ball on this thing. It's all going to cave in."

Fortunately I was as wrong about that as I was about my intial feelings about Lady Bullseye.

In Brubaker we trust.

--------------------

+Quote Post
G-Man
post Oct 2 2008, 09:13 PM
Post #6

Well....are you surprised to see me here? I mean I said I wouldn't be back for two weeks, and yet here I am. I guess old habits die hard.

It is Thursday night, Smallville's done....I've packed and I'm ready to head to Mid-Ohio Con...but I wasn't ready to call it a night.

I needed to read something. I had to REVIEW something.

I kept my promise...and made sure the very next comic I read was the Buzzboy/Roboy Red 2007 Free Comic Book Day promo issue from Skydog Comics.

This was a comic I had forgotten I picked up until Wendy Love mentioned these two characters and John Gallagher (creator of Buzzboy) in the most recent Related Recap: Podcast. Episode #37 which Chuck posted a day or so ago.

I've got to admit...I liked the book and the characters....both Roboy Red (who has that classic Saturday morning cartoon, almost Jetson like feel about him) and Buzzboy....who has a very interesting origin.

Then I was treated to a team up tale of the two characters which actually featured Gilligan, Skipper, Mary Ann, Ginger, Richie Cunnigham, Fonzie, and Barney Fife....on the moon!

Plus Frisch's Big Boy!!!! Oh Yeah.

But.....the best part of the book for me....a four page story written and drawn by John Gallagher. A cute little autobiographical tale of a very young John...called "My Favorite Super-Hero."

John scans in images of several silver age classic books he read as a kid and the story itself focuses on John driving his family nuts, dressing up as all these different heroes.

One afternoon John looks up at his mother with a comic he had read and re-read several times and asks..."I've read them all , Mom. A zillion times...What can I do next?"

She hands the young boy a pad and pencil....."Show me what happens next."

Good stuff.

--------------------

+Quote Post
G-Man
post Oct 9 2008, 05:36 PM
Post #7

It's Thursday night and you know what that means...time to read some comics. This week I picked up just four books....and here's what I thought of what I got.

Green Arrow/Black Canary #13. Another "okay" issue. Truthfully the book just doesn't "wow" me anymore but I still haven't come to grips with letting it go. Unfortunately I think time is running out for this series as far as I am concerned....issue #15 could well be the curtain call.

Secret Invasion: Inhumans #3. This has been a pretty good series so far....but this issue seems to run out of steam. Just a little. Like the involvement of Ronan the Accusser....and the book seems to be set up for a pretty good conclusion next issue. The strength of the first two issues allows this one to slide by...as long as the ending delivers.

Avengers/Invaders #5. Another good series that seemed to back peddle a little bit. I think there was some last minute art changes that hurt the book slightly. (different inker?) This book delivered a little more than the Inhumans book. Good interaction between (Steve Rogers) Captain America and Iron Man ....Captain America (Bucky Barnes)and....Bucky Barnes.

The story seems to be on the verge of splitting into three subplots...but once again in better fashion than the Inhumans book. Really like how this book is really a Invaders/Avengers story....with the Avengers actually coming across as back ground characters. Iron Man being the only Avenger that gets a fair share of attention. But I'm not complaining about that....I love the Invaders....so much unused potenial with those characters.

Found a very interesting piece of art on the internet by series artist Steve Sadowski.

Wouldn't that make a cool story!!!!

The last book to be reviewed tonight...the best of the four.....Marvel Zombies 3 issue #1.

This is how I like my comics.....great story, great art, great action. I owe a big thank you to Eric Ratcliffe for mentioning this book a month or two ago.....or else I may have missed this one.

From the Army of Darkness homage on the cover....to the shocking reveal on the last page. Very good stuff. I don't read much "zombie " stuff....but with Halloween arond the corner...this book feels right. Forget feeling right..this feels AWESOME....love the fact the book is full of characters I love....Machine Man (who has obviously went through some changes since the last time I saw him...personailty and appearance wise...both which I'm in favor of). Jocasta, Wundarr, Jennifer Kale, Moribus...and even a cameo from the Man-Thing!!!

Oh yeah.....the charcter Siege...who I don't really care for...but he was cool in this book.....yeah very cool.

Best Book of the Night!!!!! BUY IT.

I did pick up She-Hulk #33....but I haven't read it yet...because I haven't read issue #31 and #32 since I picked them up last weekend.

Same with Perhapanauts #3 and #4 .......thanx Chuck!

--------------------

+Quote Post
G-Man
post Oct 16 2008, 09:23 PM
Post #8

It's Thhhhhuuuuurrrssssdaaaayyy!!!!! That means I'm kicking back after a new episode of Smallville and knocking back a few new comics.

Here's what I bought.
Here's what I thought.

Mighty Avengers # 19. Another Brain Michael Bendis masterpiece!!!! That is..if by masterpiece you mean doing what Bendis is best known for....managing to fill an entire book with nothing....laced with a little hint of things we already know.

We get the message. Bendis is busy with Secret Invasion and cooking up five or six new limited series that will launch from the pages of the series once it concludes. But does that really mean we have to sit through this re-hashed stuff...not only in this book but in New Avengers as well? When these "fill in the gap" issues of Mighty Avengers and New Avengers started to run in the books a few months back...they were okay. Now they have worn out their welcome and run out of steam.

I can't wait when the Invasion is over and these books go back to being team books....that actually feature stories about characters that are actually members of.....the Mighty Avengers and New Avengers. Hey that's an interesting concept. After all....why waste the Logo text on the cover...let's write about Avengers!

Bendis is set to vacate the writer chair to the Mighty Avengers very soon to writer Dan Slott. I've got mixed feelings about that...but I'm sure Dan will make the book a true team book once more....and I'm hoping his upcoming writing stint is a lot like his terminated before it's time Thing series.

Guardians of the Galaxy # 6. This book makes up for the disappointing start to the night and continues to prove why it's my second favorite comic second only to Captain America.

I want to start with the cover for this book. Despite the fact it's a misleading cover...which shows a scene that never happens in the book...Vance Astro/Major Victory doesn't appear in the story at all and Starhawk appears in his/her Aleta form in the story....(he/she may have reverted back to his/her male form on the last page...hard to tell with the containment shackles confining most of his/her's body).

I like the cover for two reasons....

One. Hey...it's a cover that actually shows some kind of scene from the story....even if it wasn't exactly accurate. It beats Marvel's usual stand and pose covers.

Two. Something about the pose Starhawk is in reminds me of Carmine Infatino...and that's cool.

The story itself....pretty good. Drax's plan comes together and the Skrull's are revealed. But with a twist. The team later learns the truth about their recruitment by Starlord and Mantis....and it doesn't go over too good.

But look at the bright side...with a possible shake up in the line up....that makes room for ....BUG!!!! I saw a preview to the cover of issue #7 and yes.....Bug's back. And there ain't nothing wrong with that!

Monster Size Hulk #1 was a book a picked up at the last minute. Mainly because of the list of creators on the cover that boasted of Steve Niles and Peter David. Add the fact it featured stories of the Hulk...( the green Hulk...not that red poser Hulk) meeting some of my favorite Marvel horror characters including The Frankenstein's Monster, Dracula, and Werewolf by Night seemed like a good investment.

The first two stories in the book.....the Frankenstein and Werewolf stories... are actually pretty good. The Werewolf story is beautifully drawn in black in white panels by artist Lucio Parrillo...this is also the story written by Niles and ends up being the best in the book.

There's a two page story that features a baby version of the classic Marvel Monster Goom which was kind of cool....but the Peter David story which featured Dracula was disappointing...and that's one of the reasons I bought the book.....for this story.

It's written in prose form much like a certain Batman issue by Grant Morrison that was mentioned in another forum post here on the site recently. For me it works just as good as Morrison's Batman piece..which isn't really very good at all.

I don't mind stories written in this format....but don't care for them mixed in with stories done in panels. It's distracting...and usually fails to live up to the talent of the writer when he tries this approach.

But all in all....seventy-five percent of the book was good.....which is a lot more than we get in the Hulk's regular monthly title.

Last book of the night...

X-Men:World's Apart #1

I don't usually buy X-books but a preview of this book posted a few weeks ago here on the site by Chuck looked pretty interesting so I took a chance and picked it up.

I'm glad I did. A well writeen and beautifully illustrated book that focuses on Storm....her place in the world as Queen of one of the mightiest countires on the face of the planet...her ties to the X-Men...past confrontations with Cyclops...her role as the leader of the Morlocks and how she's dealing with Kitty's fate.

Also features the return of a classic X-Men foe with ties to Storm's youthful days as a street wise thief growing up alone in Cairo.

If you're an X-Men fan... a Storm fan...or just a fan of good comics....do yourself a favor and grab a copy of this book.

You won't be disappointed.

--------------------

+Quote Post
G-Man
post Oct 24 2008, 04:16 AM
Post #9

Another Thursday evening, and another handful of new comics. This Thursday was one of those nights....weeks...that nothing I read disappointed. Of course there were some books I liked better than others...and a few of the books that I thought were the best of the night just a few weeks ago trading places with a few that I thought were a little disappointing the last time out....but a very good comic reading night all the way around for me.

Here we go....

Daredevil #112

The second part of the Lady Bullseye story and in my opinion not quite as good as the first part of this tale. Lady Bullseye stays pretty much in the shadows in the book....allowing Brubaker to focus on the false murder allegations against Daredevil as well as the "morning after" ....with both Matt and Dakota handling that sittuation a little differently.

It's interesting to see how different cops in the N.Y.P.D. handle the whole Matt Murdock/Daredevil thing and even more interesting to see how Dakota manages to free Murdock from a holding cell, by providing a pretty solid, air tight alibi.

Black Tarantula and Iron Fist make rather cool guest appearances (Iron Fist especially) and Matt get's a visit from an renegade member of the Hand looking for something with great taste ,but less filling.

Captain America #43

Another solid book written by the very talented Ed Brubaker, but once again not as strong as the previous issue. At the same time never disappointing. We are treated to a flashback of Bucky's Invaders days in WWII, always a treat, and perhaps the best written and drawn version of Batroc the Leaper. Ever. Bucky's past as the Winter Soldier seems to be on the verge of coming back to haunt him and this hints it may affect his role as the new Captain America.

Just in time for Captain America #50.

And we learn just how much willpower Bucky has as he actually walks out on a very naked Black Widow....who was definitely in the mood for some more training from her trainer...but I think Natasha is probably doing more of the training nowadays....and Bucky goes on patrol instead. Incredible amount of willpower. Or just plain dumb.

New Avengers # 46

I've been really disappointed in this book for the last few issues...but issue #46 makes up for that. Great story featuring one of my favorite villains, Whitney Frost...Madame Masque....as well as the Hood and his re-assmbled croonies who learn about the Skrull plans for an attack on Earth. The Hood also learns the source of his mysterious powers on the last page. I was worried it was Mephisto for a minute. Luckily it wasn't.

It was someone much more cooler....and he actually appears on the cover. Awesome.

Secret Invasion #7

Been liking this series so far, but the last issue was my least favorite of the run . This issue....much better. Best book of the night without a doubt. Bendis hits paydirt two books in a row.

It's too difficult to point out any of the cool things that happen and occur in this action packed book without giving anything away..so I won't even try. Just pick it up.....you won't regret it. Trust me.

Finally....as I mentioned over in my blog the amount of books I'll be buying and reading in the near future is going to decrease in size very soon. That means this weekly review will more than likely cease to be weekly. It may become.....monthly...or I might still pick up enough books to make it bi-weekly. And the reviews will be centered on just a few of the titles I cover now....so you will be seeing a lot of Captain America, Daredevil, and Guardians of the Galaxy.....and hopefully the Perhapanauts whenever my local store starts putting the book in my pull file.

Hope you stick around for the ride.

Peace.

--------------------

+Quote Post
G-Man
post Nov 1 2008, 09:17 PM
Post #10

We interupt our regularly scheduled Thursday Night Comic Review for something completely new, completely different.....and completely late.

Welcome to the Saturday Night Comic Review!!!!!!

At least that's what I'm calling it this week. Things really snowballed these last few days and the Thursday night ritual of reading the comics I bought got all twisted out of shape. Bought the comics a whole night earlier than usual..but didn't find the time to read any Wedsnesday night. Thursday night...I didn't get the time to read any...Friday night...I read three of the five books I picked up......Saturday.....right around three in the afternoon this week's comic stash was finally read.

Saturday night...10:00 p.m .....review time finally.

Here's what I bought and here's what I thought.

Nova # 18

This issue was full of various types of ressurrections. A certain Cosmic Avenger we all thought had bought the farm back in the Nova:Annihilation limited series was back....in a way. At least he wasn't a Skrull and it looks as though we have not seen the last of him. The Worldmind was also back...in a way. The living computer which has the collective memory of planet Xandar was up (almost) walking around on it's own...and completely seperate from Nova. Something tells me he's not going to be too crazy about going back to his previous "living" arrangement with Richard Rider. And....as the last page sems to reveal....Nova may not be the last Nova Centurian after all.

An extra feather in the cap for this issue is that Darkhawk (never really a favorite character of mine) never looked or acted so good since the character was created.

Overall a good read...but not as exciting as the issues that lead up to this one.

Demon's Regret #2 and #3. This came as a very pleasant surprise because I thought I was only getting issue #2. I had no idea #3 was out. I loved issue #1 of this limited series.

(Issue #1 review.)

http://www.comicrelated.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=2351

And I thought isssue #2 was just as good. The fallen angel, Asmodeus continues to play evil against evil...this time using a sadastic, psychotic, serial killer as a pawn against an organized crime ring that deals in sex slaves among other things. Just like the first issue...both sides get played against each other and in the end Satan is the one who loses. Good stuff.

Issue #3 starts out just as good.....we learn in a series of flashbacks about some of Asmodeus' past triumphs as far as stopping or interfering with the grand plans of his lord Lucifer the Morning Star. We see the final fate of both Jack the Ripper and Attila the Hun....we had seen a similiar scene involving the Zodiac killer in issue #1....all this works well and is a very interesting story.....then something happens.

The story stops flowing in a reasonable fashion. Asmodeus' new plans involving a fake attempt on the life of the Pope becomes confusing and hard to follow. The story seems to come off the track...almost feels like writer Mitch Brown just loses his sense of direction.

Ron and I conversed not long ago while discussing the Adventures of Captain America, Sentinel of Liberty limited series with artist Kevin Maguire how if a story has a bad ending..the whole story is literally ruined.

Demon's Regret has a very bad ending. Ruined a very good three issue series in just three very poorly thought out pages. I'm sorry...there's just no way to say this in a nice manner. I wish there was.

Vincent Price Presents #1

This is the first ongoing series from Bluewater Comics. I liked the book...it was probably my favorite of the ones I bought this week. But I had some issues with it as well. The framing of the main story was incredible...being a fan of Joel Robinson's artwork I loved seeing him work panels...I've only seen his work on covers up to this point. Vincent Price's dialouge was well thought out and dead on. It actually felt as though this was Price ...narrating a classic horror story. All that was great.

The story featured in the book was also very good...a country ruled by the vampire nation. A young boy who has been groomed to be nothing more than a meal for his new adpotive parents...rescued by an adroid manufactured to destroy vampires. Pretty interesting story.

The problems I had with the book though....the art for the main story was a let down compared to the framing art down by Joel. Joel's style and the style of interior artist Rey Armenteroes just didn't blend well. The story could have been much more dynamic with a stronger artist as well. And although I liked the story..it didn't seem to be a type of story that Vincent Price would have enjoyed or been involved with. Too much of a science fiction edge to it and not enough Gothic Horror that you automatically think of when you hear the name Vincent Price mentioned.

This may occur again next issue...judging by the title of the story to be featured..."Orok the Neanderthal" sounds more Robert E.Howard or Edgar Rice Burroughs than Vincent Price.

I picked up one more book Wedsnesday....but this one was much older and had been on my Holy Grail list for a number of years.

Giant Size Spider-Man #1

I remember seeing this book advertised in the comics I read as a kid and I always wanted to get a copy. But I never even seen a copy of the book..let alone got an opportunity to pick it up until this past week.

That classic cover drawn by John Romita Sr. was forever engraved in my mind...and now I FINALLY had a copy of the book itself.

Never judge a book by it's cover...that is what they say isn't it. It took me literally hours to read this book....I put it down twice and eventually forced myself to finish it. The story was written by Len Wein and drawn by Ross Andru...the same team that was doing Amazing Spider-Man at the time this book was released....and doing a good job over on that book....but this thing was just dreadful. The story was chaotic....too much happened by just sheer dumb luck. Dracula was so out of character....this story almost seemed to be a spoof at times.

It gets a couple of "cool points" due to the fact that I was reading it Hallowen night and the story had a costume party at the center of it....I tried to convince myself that wasn't really Dracula but just some guy dressed up like Dracula, but that didn't really help. There was also a female character named Elvira....which was ironic I guess.

A story featuring Dracula and Spider-Man just has so much potential...and instead we got this silly tale.

There was an added bonus of a reprint of Strange Tales Annual #3 which teamed the Human Torch and Spider-Man on the trail of an art thief who had framed Spider-Man. This story isn't much better than the first one, but more acceptable considering the time period it was written in. It also featured the collective creative talent of Stan Lee, Jack Kirby, and Steve Ditko. These three guys rarely got together on the same story (Steve inks Jack's pencils in this story)...I think this only happened once before in the Hulk #2...in which Jack inked Steve's pencils.

--------------------

+Quote Post
G-Man
post Nov 7 2008, 01:06 AM
Post #11

Let's do the Time Warp again!!!!

It's Thursday night (early Friday morning) and I'm almost on time this week. Speaking of time....I picked up six books this week and all them either took place in the past...the future...in another dimension..or had several flashbacks in them.

Wow!

Well...here's what I bought and what I thought.

X-Men Legacy #217. I believe my short term love affair with this book is over. It was still pretty decent, but it was my least favorite book of the night. My finances are going to shrink after this week (next Thursday night I might be reviewing books from my must read pile!) and this book is already slated as one of the one's I'll no longer be picking up.

This book hasn't really been on pull file but I got hooked on it on issue #211 and have been reading it since. Even went back in bought issues #207-#210 so I could have the whole Legacy run. So I've been just picking it up off the shelf each month...and for the most part it's been a good read.

Didn't care for this one as much as the others though. It's a crossover with Wolverine Origins...which I don't read...and featured Wolverine's son...who I don't like...and also features Miss Sinister...whom I'm trying to figure out if I like or not. Had some interesting flashback secenes...a stable for this series since being re-titled X-Men Legacy....which hints that Profeesor X tinkered with Wolverine's mind a lot more than anyone knew back when Wolvie first joined the X-Men. Best part of the story.

This story concludes in Wolverine Origins #29. I'm not planning on seing how it ends.

X-Men and Spider-Man #1

This story takes place in the days of the original X-Men and the "Gwen Stacy" era of Spider-Man history. (has a great scene of Gwen sitting on a pier with the bridge she would later fall from her death from in the background...unfortunately the highlight of the book.)

Kraven accuses Spider-Man of being a mutant and enlists the aid of the Blob (two of the most unlikely partners I've ever seen) to attack Spider-Man and the X-Men at the Coffee Bean.

Turns out the whole fight was a ploy for Kraven to get blood samples of the X-Men for...Mister Sinister. (another unlikely pairing).

This is the first issue of a four issue limited series and it looks like the only issue of the series that I will be picking up.

Iron Man: The End

Anytime David Micheline and Bob Layton have anything to do with any Iron Man project...I'm buying it. Even if I have to sell blood. This story sees Tony Stark...now an older man and happily married to Bethany McCabe....Tony's love interest during the classic Micheline/Romita Jr./Bob Layton run on the book. Tony is also facing health issues that forces him to give up his role of Iron Man....and forces him to look a familiar demon in the eye one last time.

Good read...not quite as good as I expected...but the additon of Bethany and the showdown with a bottle of Canadain whiskey made for an interesting enough story. Glad I bought it.

Marvel Zombies 3 #2

This was a pretty good book. Another take on another classic horror film on the cover...which was really cool. The story which sees Machine Man and Jocasta invading Zombie World progresses quite nicely. Liked the art...and the characterization. Still getting used to Machine Man's new snarky personality which is something I think he picked up in the Next Wave series...I'll have to check that out.

A nice little surprise in the book about the last "real" human on Zombie World. Liked this book a lot , but not as well as the first issue. Definitely something I look forward to keep reading though.

Captain America: Theater of War Operation Zero Point.

We're off to the days of World War II and a war torn Polland as the original Cap is sent on a mission to liberate a German scientist who wants to defect. It's shield slinging fury at it's best as Cap encounters German produced secret weapons in the form of Flying Saucers....equipped with disentergartion rays.

This story gives merit to the reports of U.F.O's during WWII by Allied Forces in a very clever way.

Great Story...good art and a couple of great one liners from Cap that just makes you want to cheer out loud. Well worth the $4.50 cover price.

Daredevil and Captain America: Dead on Arrival

Best book of the night. Hands down. This story takes place long before the Secret and Civil Wars in the Marvel Universe...and Steve Rogers is still Cap, Daredevil's identity is still a secret, and Nick Fury still runs S.H.I.E.L.D.

This is the American version of a story produced in Europe a few years ago and seen here in it's translated form for the first time.

Incredible story...seems the death of the villain Death-Stalker (who died back in Daredevil #158....Frank Miller's first issue as artist on the title) may not have been as permenant as everybody would like to have believed. Daredevil and Cap investigate a series of ghastly murders that lead them back to the cemetary that Death-Stalker was supposed to have died at.

The art in this book is just plain gorgeous.....the entire book a high quality product from cover to cover. Once again...well worth the extra cover price. Highly recommended.

There you go.

See you next week.

--------------------

+Quote Post
G-Man
post Nov 7 2008, 08:39 AM
Post #12

Welcome to the NEW and IMPROVED Thursday Night Comic Review.....with more Amazing Cover-rama Action!

--------------------

+Quote Post
G-Man
post Nov 14 2008, 12:36 AM
Post #13

It's Thursday night. It's time to rock.

Here's what I bought. And here's what I thought.

The Wondeful Wizard of Oz Sketchbook....a preview of the upcoming Marvel Illustrated take on the familiar story written by L.Frank Baum. Okay...I didn't buy this one. It was a freebie that got stuck in my bag. But after looking through it I was really impressed. I haven't bought any of the Marvel Illustrated books yet...I thought about buying both Last of the Mochicans and the Potrait Of Dorian Gray (that's written by Roy Thomas so that's got to be good, right?) and I might end up putting those two books on my Christmas list in their collected trade paperback form.

Marvel's latest spin on the Wizard of Oz looks very promising. Writer Eric Shanower has been assoicated with the Land of Oz for years with his critically acclaimed work...and I just love the artwork by artist Skottie Young...Dorothy Gale....The Tin Woodsman, The Scarecrow, and the Cowardly King of the Jungle just look amazing. Even the winged monkeys...and Toto.....Young's art brings the characters of this American classic to full, vibrant, and imagintive life.

I think I'm going to try and pick this up when it comes out.

From sweet little Dorothy and her friends...to Vincent Price. Variety is the spice of life. Picked up the second issue of Vincent Price Presents....great Joel Robinson cover and his work on the Vincent Price intro and closing sequence...remarkable. Just when you think this guy couldn't get any better...he does.

Actually everything about this issue is better than the previous issue.

When I saw the title for this book at the end of last issue I actually cringed. ..."Orok the Neanderthal"...and I had no real intention of picking this issue up. But...it was Laney's pick of the week. That was enough for me to pick it up and thumb through it. The interior art was much better this time around. That was enough for me to decide to buy it.

The story was really pretty good. A tale of the very first werewolf story...mixed with a pre-historic ghost story...with a great shock ending. Surprise of the night.

And staying with things somewhat wicked....I picked up a copy of Mercy Sparx #1 while stopping in at Super Fly Comics in Yellow Springs....I had to talk to the guys about the development of another project in the works and the cover of the book caught my eye (unfortunately Mercy must not like her picture taken because I couldn't find a picture of the cover anywhere...sorry.)

I've heard a lot of good things about this book...it looked interesting in a Scarlett Huntress sort of way.

http://www.smcomics.com/

So I thought I would give it a chance.

A very creative and unique story with artwok that reminds me of Phil Hester. Mercy is actually a bar-hopping, motorcycle cruising female demon .....who hunts down angels who no longer want to "serve" as part of a mutual agreement between Heaven and Hell......I'm liking this so far.

The easiest way to capture a rogue angel is to steal the angel's halo. That's pretty cool. And ...the Muses...lower level angels who inspire man kind and are usually found hanging out with artists and musicans seem to really hate Heavy Metal music. Which Mercy uses as a weapon against them.

Next issue, Mercy goes after a Guardian Angel.

Looking for something totally all it's own, ground breaking, and entertaining. Give this book a try.

Pistolfist #4.....one of the highlights of the night. Couldn't wait to get this one home and read it. The second book of the night that featured a cover by the talented Joel Robinson...and the book concludes the four part story. It took the book a long time to reach it's conclusion and if you have read any of the stuff I've posted elsewhere about this book you already know about the twists and turns creator and writer J.S.Earls had to go through to see this thing completed.

Was it worth the wait?

Very much so.

J. ties the story up nicely. Ben Franklin is just wonderful in this story....one which I'm going to immediately read through in one sitting. Issues #1-4...just to take it all in. I know J. has plans for other versions of the Pistolfist character and it seems the Revolutionary War version of Pistolfist hangs up his mask at the end of this story...I'm going to miss him. And I wish I saw more of him in this final issue. Ben Frankilin actually brings down the lightning and steals the thunder in this book....but a great conclusion to a great four issue series none the less.

Batman Cacophony#1 came close to being my favorite book of the night. Kevin Smith returns to comics (however briefly) to write this three issue limited series with the help of old buddy Walter Flanigan.

The story is a little wordy...typical Kevin Smith stuff..but I'm not complaining. When I shell out four bucks I don't mind getting a book that takes me more than seven minutes to read.

Smith crams a lot into this one book....Batman,Joker, Max Zeus, Zsasz,Deadshot (who gets shot dead...that was funny) and Onomatopoeia

Smith's take on Zsasz is just down right chilling and his Joker is very entertaining. Smith writes Batman very grim but finds places to sneak in his own unique brand of humor.....like the Joker's interaction with Onomatopoeia (no I'm not spelling that over and over...there's a lot of cut and paste action going on here.)..and Max Zeus gets a great line at the end of the book.

Onomatopoeia gave Green Arrow one heck of a fight and almost killed Connor Hawke (back when killing off Connor Hawke was a shocking idea....now it's like someone almost kills Connor every two to three hours).

Can't wait until Batman tracks down.....sound effects guy... and the two of them go at it next issue.

Wouldn't it be cool if Bats unmasked him and he turned out to be Motormouth from the Police Academy movies.
Just kidding. I actually like the character...glad to see him and Kevin back. Kevin's take on Batman during Smith's run on Green Arrow was the main reason I stuck around on that title, and I'm glad I did.

Glad I picked this up as well.

Retro Bonus Book.

Conan the Barbarian #115. A double sized celebration of ten years of Conan at Marvel. Now 28 years ago....wow.

Roy Thomas, John Buscema, and Ernie Chan...the Conan team supreme at their sword swinging best in a story that sees Conan used as a pwn in a deadly feud between two wizards. Guest stars Red Sonja...another selling point for me...and Conan is tempted to sell Sonja's soul for the return of his slain lover...Belit.

Sonja almost pays the price of letting a man beat her in combat....but Conan ( the man that does beat her) leaves her with her virtue in tact and her chain mail in place as visions and thoughts of Belit prevent him from laying claim his victory....and he instead drinks his guts out.

It wasn't a new book......and it was up against some pretty good stuff...but this was my favorite book of the night.

See you next week.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ron Fortier
post Nov 14 2008, 10:45 AM
Post #14

Member No.: 1,427

Got to admit, I'm very interested in the new Wizard of OZ book as well, G-Man. When I saw the preview art a few weeks ago, I knew it was going to be something I'd get a kick out of. Am glad you hear you like this sketch book so much. Can't wait for mine to arrive.

+Quote Post
G-Man
post Nov 20 2008, 11:47 PM
Post #15

And it comes to this.

Thursday Night Comic Review....the downsized version.....the axe is falling on the comic buying budget big time starting this week....and half of what I buy just didn't make it.

So.

I only have one book to talk about tonight.

This is what I bought.
This is what I thought.

Avengers/Invaders #6.

I didn't get this cover,but I really liked it.

I got this cover..which I also like and was able to afford without putting it in layaway.

The story starts to solidify more...but runs in various directions. Doctor Strange starts to figure out how and why the Invaders have fallen through time some 67 years and it's a pretty original and very interesting revelation.

Toro discovers that he died fighting the Mad Thinker in the timeline that followed the conclusion of the war. He also discoveres that Bucky didn't make it out of the war alive...and the Human Torch wasn't around for whatever reason (we of course know why) when Toro died.

All of this is pretty good as well.

My least favorite part is the plotline involving the original Human Torch and the L.M.D.'s. It almost seems "manufactured" just to give the characters not involved with the story elsewhere something to keep them occupied. It did get a little better towards the end of this issue.

I'm not a big Sentry fan, but thought the Human Torch/Sentry battle favored the Torch a little too much.

The book is at it's halfway point now....and I am enjoying the involvement of The Torch,Toro and Bucky being in the spotlight a little more than past Invaders tales...but would like to see more Namor and Cap.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ron Fortier
post Nov 21 2008, 09:42 AM
Post #16

Member No.: 1,427

Thanks for the write up, G-Man. This is one of the few titles I do collect, and am sorry about your current budget woes. Sadly when it comes to a decision between paying the bills and eating etc., comics don't stand a chance. Here's hoping your situation turns around real
soon.

+Quote Post
G-Man
post Nov 28 2008, 02:19 AM
Post #17

What a day!!!! Full of family fun...football, great food...and which ended with watching American Gangster with the old man. Seems almost all the comics I still collect came out this week....one came out last week and the other three come out next week...so I have a pretty good sized review this week.

Due to the comic shops being closed Thursday because of the holiday I picked the books up a night early and stayed up late into the early morning hours to read them all in hopes of getting to this review much earlier.....didn't happen...couldn't seem to escape the unexplained increased gravitational pull of my sofa and ended up watching the Cowboys crush the Seahawks....and then Click...and THEN America Gangster.

Tomorrow my brother and I will continue our Black Friday tradition of playing a round or two of disc golf...I'm hoping one round will be at the Buck Creek Disc Golf Course...which just turned a year old and which I lobbied for, designed, and basically put into the ground last year with the help of the Dayton Disc Golf Association and good friend (and ex-guitartist) Doug Huff.

But...enough of that gibberish. Let's talk comics.

This is what I bought.
And this is what I thought.

Nova #19

Nova has been a very solid and consistent book....but unfortunately another book I will be dropping next month (along with New Avengers). It's not that the books are bad because they're not....Nova is actually the stronger of the two in my personal opinion, but six is the magic number of books I will be able to collect for a while......Daredevil, Captain America, Guardians of the Galaxy, Perhapanauts, and Mighty Avengers...leaving one spot open for one limited series.....Avengers/Invaders...then Dark Avengers...X-Men: Kingbreaker...and War of Kings.)

Once again....Nova this issue... was a good book. By process ogf elimnation perhaps my least favorite...but everything I read last night was good....a very good comic night. I like the new Nova Corps that the Worldmind has assembled and who appears at the beginning of the story...it seems a lot of thought went into creating these five characters and I get the feeling they will be around for a while. Especially seeing how one is Shi'ar and the Shi'ar will be playing a major role in the War of Kings series.

The rift between Richard Rider/Nova Prime and the Worldmind doesn't improve much as the Worldmind goes against Rider's wishes and does something that Nova...and I ...didn't really care for at the end of the story.

We also see more of Dark Hawk and the original Quasar is mentioned again. I also suspect both of these characters will be playing large roles in the before mentioned War of Kings.

Next issue....issue #20 seems like a good place to jump off the series for a little while until things stabilize on the home front..at which time I look forward to catching back up with this book.

Captain America #44

This book was good....but a little disappointing. I thought it just didn't live up to the high standards this series has established for itself. The past storyline was really good...and this one which features elements of the new Cap's past as the Winter Soldier seems to be taking a little while to pick up speed. The story was slow and had a "fill in" issue, or a transitional issue feel to it. This was compounded by the fact the regualr artist, Steve Epting was again Missing In Action...two issues in a row now. A little concerned about that....I'm hoping Epting returns in issue #46 which should start a new storyline that will more than likely conclude with issue #50.

Luke Ross is a good artist...don't get me wrong....but I've grown very fond of Epting's work on the book and miss it a great deal when it's not there.

Bucky and Natasha seem a little shallow...as Brubaker seemed to be putting them through the paces just enough to progress the storyline to next issue and the conclusion of this story arc. Also no Falcon, Sharon, or the 1950's Cap....all whom I suspect will be back for the next story.

Secret Invasion: Inhumans #4

This limited series concludes with this issue....and finishes off strong. I still think that this story is the best Inhumans story I ever read. Great conclusion. Detailed story and very remarkable art by a very talented Tom Raney. Trust me the Inhumans never looked this good!

I loved the character development of the entire cast in this book...Medusa and Crystal and their encounter with Thundra, Triton....Black Bolt's escape....and the story ends with serious tie ins with the upcoming War of Kings event. You're gooing to want to pick up this series if you plan to collect War of Kings.

The arranged marriage between Ronan the Accuser and Crystal is something I hope to see more of in the future...one thing that bugged me just a little is how much Black Bolt and Medusa's son has aged....compared to the ever youthful Franklin Richards. Chalk it up to the Terrigen Mist I guess.

Daredevil # 113

Writer Ed Brubaker is back for another round this week with the third part of the Lady Bullseye storyline. I'm still liking this story...a lot. And unlike Brubaker's current story in Captain America...this story is getting better with each well paced issue.

Black Tarantula and Iron Fist guest star.....the murder case against Daredevil gets even more intense. The characterization of Dakota and Matt is moving along nicely...Dardevil actually meets Lady Bullseye.....fist to fist and sweep kick to sweep kick this issue.

The new White Tiger also meets Lady Bullseye for the very first time this issue...and possibly the last. That doesn't look good for the rookie vigilante....I like this character and collected her limited series. I hope this isn't the end.

And...Mila's parents? Got a funny feeling about that.

I'm also liking the blind "alcoholic" ninja.

Guardians of the Galaxy # 7

Although I liked everything I read last night.....this book was light years better than the rest!!!!

Great art.....Paul Pelletier is on fire...I heard he will be leaving the book soon. I hope that's not true. The story...as is the case with this book 99.9% of the time was amazing. Cosmic story telling at it's best...by the best cosmic story tellers in the universe...Dan Abnett and Andy Lanning. (It's so hard to believe that these guys wrote Force Works).

Although I wouldn't mind seeing Century pop up in this series or possibly the War of Kings...he was one of the best things about that book.

Good things about this book...let's see....there's a killer flashback of the classic Guardians in action (minus Nikki)...the Badoon...Starhawk and Cosmo...Pelletier's awesome modern version of a giant Badoon Monster, the Zoms, the Guardians Reseve Team (consisting of Rocket Racoon,Groot, Major Victory...an awesome tie in to the second Guardians line up..with Cap's shield...Mantis....and BUG!!!!!!!!!!!!).

Loved seeing Adam Warlock and Gamora working together again and still hope the two of them rekindle their relationship in the future. Warlock's statement about the Universal Church of Truth had a very ominus vibe to it.

I like that Drax and Quasar (Phyla-Vell) are trying to find Cammi...and run across more hints about War of Kings....and Heather?

Plus...Starlord a captive of Blastarr in the Negative Zone.

This book is rock-n-rolling!!!!!

Do yourself a favor and pick it up.

Well that's gonna do it for this week. See you next Thursday with the conclusion of Secret Invasion!!

--------------------

+Quote Post
G-Man
post Dec 5 2008, 12:02 AM
Post #18

Quickly ...check the hands on the clock. It's Thursday night. It's time to rock!

Here's what I bought.
Here's what I thought.

Secret Invasion# 8.

I have been eagerly anticipating this book for days and hoping it doesn't fall flat like House of M, Civil War, and World War Hulk.

Unfortunately it does.

This story does nothing more than set up the next big event. I should have known it would end like this...it's par for the course nowadays. The last issue is nothing more than a resolution issue for Marvel's big event books (with th exception of the Annihilation series....those books still build up every issue of the series...including the last issue.)

With those "Big Events" stories I mentioned earlier...especially the ones written by Bendis...the next to the last issue is the big issue and the last issue is when everybody talks...walks the dog...waters the plants...that sort of stuff.

A founding member of the Avengers dies....for no real reason. As does my faith in Marvel. If I wanted this...I'd be reading Final Crisis...which I'm not.

Even the best part of the book....which everbody pretty much expected about Hawkeye and Mockingbird was tainted by the rest of the book.

Norman Osborn is made out to be a hero....becuase he killed a Skrull on live t.v...which Wolverine was about to kill anyway. Iron Man an outlaw. Doom an Avenger.Bullseye, the Wrecking Crew and the Hood upset because an Avenger was killed.

WTF??????????????????

I almost threw the book across the room after reading this line "Norman Osborn. All that fell under the S.H.I.E.L.D. banner, including the Avengers and the fifty state initiative now falls under the Thunderbolts intitative."

Instead I waited until all three of my dogs had to take a crap, let them do their thing in different pages of the book, closed the book, jumped up and down on it for a full fifteen minutes, burned it, mixed the ashes with dirty dishwater and microwaved them for thirty seconds.

And then threw it across the room.

I'm not reading this stuff anymore. I'm done. No more Bendis books.

This was the last issue of New Avengers I was going to buy even before Bendis ****** down my back and tried to tell me it was raining....and it wasn't bad. A pretty good story about Jessica Jones, Luke Cage, and Luke's father...wrapped up in a package about Luke's feelings that he may not be cut out to be a good dad.

This book survived the night.....but I stand by this statement.

"No more Bendis books." If he writes it. I'm not buying it.

Moving on... rage filled tantrum slowly fading

Marvel Zombies 3 #3.

Now this....was a good book. I loved everything about this book....my favorite part being Machine Man riding the Ghost Rider's motorcycle. Nice. "Handles like a shopping cart!"

This whole zombies/android thing is really working out. Machine Man is awesome in this book. The story by Fred Van Lente and art by Kev Walker is amazing. If there is any kind of justice in the world of mainstream comics left at all....these two guys need to be doing a book together after this one concludes.

I vote Machine Man and Jocasta be in that book as well.

Also liked the Zombie Wasp and her convesation with Jocasta.

Another great cover....easily the best book of the night.

--------------------

+Quote Post
doombug
post Dec 6 2008, 09:02 PM
Post #19

Eric Ratcliffe

Member No.: 2,668

Actually that was normal wasp, Jocasta was dealing with her fears internally while waiting for aaron to show up. Really makes the scene more chilling.

--------------------

+Quote Post
G-Man
post Dec 6 2008, 09:11 PM
Post #20

Now that you point that out I'd have to agree 100%. much more chilling. Man this good stuff...going to really miss this book when it ends.

--------------------

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th April 2014 - 01:32 AM