IPB
MORE @ COMIC RELATED: NEWS COLUMNS REVIEWS PODCASTS BLOGS

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Sketch Magazine Art Contest Despicable Me Judges Thread, A thread for the judges (and you) to view
Bill Nichols
post Feb 3 2011, 09:17 PM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,860

This thread is for to see all the entries, but mostly so that the judges can view them all in one place and if they are so inclined, post their votes and/or their comments.

The entries are in alphabetical order. The judges will have until Monday February 7th, at midnight to get me their votes and I will post the results on Tuesday Feb. 8th, giving them a few days to look in when they can fit it into their schedules...

colbyz

Fred Lang

M.E. Walker

MAGNUM JM

Phil Rood

--------------------
Inker and writer of comics
Editor of Sketch Magazine

Comics Mentorfor encouragement and advice in your comics creating
Bill NIchols YouTube Channel
Arteest, my webcomic
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Ron Fortier
post Feb 3 2011, 11:28 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 1,427

Wow, these things just keep getting harder and harder to judge. Everyone one of these pieces is imaginative and fun. Were I voting on the theme, it would be near impossible as all five artist captured it wonderfully. So I'm going by drawing level skills.

1 Fred Lang's skillsl get better and better every time he does something new. The scowl on Doom's face, the hesitancy of the children crossing the street,
all create a truly funny and beautiful illustrated picture.

2 M E Walker's layout composition is gorgeous and her renderings of Poison Ivy and the little girl beautiful done. A special piece indeed.

3 Magnum Jib's cartooning flare is delicious. Perhaps the funniest drawing of them all, the smirk on Black Adam's face, the frozen glare of the cat.
This is such an awesome drawing.

4 Phil Rood, the drawing itself seems flat to me, but the effective coloring job makes it pop.

5 Colbz's piece is by far the most ambitious, but the actual renderings of Doom and the little girl need some work.

So way to go Fred. And again, nice job by all.

This post has been edited by Ron Fortier: Feb 3 2011, 11:29 PM

+Quote Post
Bill Nichols
post Feb 4 2011, 11:28 AM
Post #3

Advanced Member

From Lora Innes:

Colbyz: has a fun concept, but the art is really inconsistent. The girl and cat look very stylized and flat, Dr. Doom looks very rendered and they don't sit believably next to each other. Also, there is some awkwardness in the foreshortening.

Fred: Great line work. Nice background. From a professional standpoint, this one is the highest quality. The text is a little hard to read--at first I thought it was saying "Stod." The kids have grownup faces, not cute kid faces. Children are very hard to draw without practice. That shows a bit here.

M.E.Walker: I love the layout here--it almost feels like a stained glass window, which suits Ivy well. I love the story behind it--and they story is easy to follow without any words. There's a sweetness to the story, and it is believable within the realms of Ivy's character. I think there could be more rendering in that last panel--the line work doesn't look as finished as the first four panels. Color would look great on this.

Magnum JM: A similar problem with the children as I said on Fred's piece. Cute kids who genuinely look young are really hard to draw. The cat is great, the linework is great. The perspective is a bit weird--with that flat grassy line across the bottom and no other background. Unless they're in Kansas.... Also, every leaf doesn't need rendered in a tree. It makes the top of the drawing too busy, and the villains' head gets lost in the business. When his face should pop more than anything else.

Phil Rood: Nice concept, love the scared shaggy cat. The colors look nice. Over all the drawing is a little flat. There's no personality to the lines in the buildings--it's very digital and lifeless. Doc Oc's hand looks a little awkward, so does that bent backward foot.

I'll pick Fred for my #1 and M.E. Walker for my #2.

Lora Innes
The Dreamer
Nominated for two Harvey Awards: Best New Series and Best New Talent
Adventure. Romance. War. 1776 is back.
www.thedreamercomic.com

This post has been edited by Bill Nichols: Feb 4 2011, 11:29 AM

--------------------

Arteest, my webcomic

+Quote Post
Bill Nichols
post Feb 4 2011, 11:30 AM
Post #4

Advanced Member

From Robin Ator:

"The Contest: Draw Your Favorite Supervillain Doing Something Heroic"

+++++++

1 Fred Lang
2. M. E. Walker
3. Phil Rood
4. colbyz
5. Magnum 3M

I have to hand this one t o Fred Lang: nicely balanced illustration overall. It stands well on its own as a black-and-white illustration, with well-divided background and foreground. Interesting expressions and amusing details.

Second is M. E.'s sequence: clear information, clean, delicate lines. figures pretty good, but could use some more 'air' around the figures in the panels. That said, there's also something very nice about the tarot-card-like or stained-glass stillness of the composition. This is the only one of the entries in which the villain/hero actually looks concerned about their job.

Phil Rood's actually made me laugh. Who better to snag a cat in a tree than chubby misanthrope Dr. Octopus?

colbyz: funny idea, and good overall, but would like to feel the figures in space a little more. Continue with the perspective work -- you'll get it! In the final panel, Doom is 10 feet tall and seems to float in the air. Would be nice to see the little girl and cat get as much shading love as Doom gets.

magnum: nice clean lines and patterning: good pen work, but the figures have no real volume yet. This will come; keep at it! Separate the figures more for a clearer read.

--------------------

Arteest, my webcomic

+Quote Post
Bill Nichols
post Feb 4 2011, 01:24 PM
Post #5

Advanced Member

From Lovern Kindzierski:

Colbyz: The art is really inconsistent, but the joke does work. Doc Doom is where he put all f his work and everything else isn't taken a lot more past thumbnails. The placement of the girl and doll is very awkward in the last panel. Doom is suddenly a giant with very short legs.

Fred Lang: I find this one the most professional and the only one without a cat up a tree. Lots of story in every figure. The trees ned work and the "STOP" lettering is too fussy. The lettering should be more electronic. Still, all in all, the best.

M.E.Walker: A little too cute for my tastes, but well done. Interesting Art Nouveau layout and good story telling. The last panel needs more background and Ivy's hair looks unfinished.

Magnum JM: The cat and Black Adam's face are the most successful parts of the drawing. The children aren't cute and the leaves look like scales. There are a lot of congruities flattening out the drawing, yet the line work is strong and confident. I think that the artist would benefit a lot from better reference to base his cartooning on.

Phil Rood: In spite of a lot of rendering in the colour this piece has the least life in it. The most professional part of the piece is the nicely executed signature.

#1 - Fred Lang
#2 - M. E. Walker
#3 - Colbyz
#4 - Magnum & Rood

--------------------

Arteest, my webcomic

+Quote Post
Bill Nichols
post Feb 8 2011, 09:04 PM
Post #6

Advanced Member

The winner is: Fred Lang

#2 was ME Walker.

Everyone else tied for third...

Congrats!

This post has been edited by Bill Nichols: Feb 8 2011, 09:15 PM

--------------------

Arteest, my webcomic

+Quote Post
PhilRood
post Feb 9 2011, 03:36 AM
Post #7

Member No.: 19,742

Congrats Fred, and great job everyone else.

Also, thanks to all the judges who gave me good critiques. It's given me a good idea of some things I need to work on. It's much appreciated.

--------------------
Phil Rood
Cartoonist/Graphic Designer
http://philrood.blogspot.com/

+Quote Post
Ron Fortier
post Feb 9 2011, 09:08 AM
Post #8

Member No.: 1,427

Way to go Fred. Really hope we can do something together some day. Also sincere congratulations to all the other entries, for putting yourselves out there and wanting to continue to grow your obvious talents.
And thanks Bill for inviting me aboard again. Magnum JM is now drawing a 5 pg. story for a future issue of RON FORTIER'S TALES OF THE MACABRE because we hooked up here. cool.gif

This post has been edited by Ron Fortier: Feb 9 2011, 09:09 AM

+Quote Post
Fred Lang
post Feb 9 2011, 01:14 PM
Post #9

Advanced Member

Member No.: 19,590

Thank you, judges--as usual, your critiques are spot-on, and I'll work hard to shore up the weaknesses in my artwork.

Comic Related, keep the contests coming--there's no better place to get so many critical opinions of artwork than here. Thanks!

--------------------
Owner and Creator at PixelFigs

+Quote Post
Bill Nichols
post Feb 9 2011, 03:15 PM
Post #10

Advanced Member

Congratulations, Fred. And thanks to everyone who entered!

Ron: Buddy, you are always welcome as a judge!

And the next contest will be an inking contest!

--------------------

Arteest, my webcomic

+Quote Post
mterry713
post Feb 9 2011, 07:18 PM
Post #11

Member No.: 19,620

QUOTE (Fred Lang @ Feb 9 2011, 01:14 PM) *
Thank you, judges--as usual, your critiques are spot-on, and I'll work hard to shore up the weaknesses in my artwork.

Comic Related, keep the contests coming--there's no better place to get so many critical opinions of artwork than here. Thanks!

Congrats Fred!!! Way to go!

-moe

+Quote Post
colbyz
post Feb 9 2011, 09:20 PM
Post #12

Member No.: 19,490

Congrats to Fred, everyone did a great job. I can see all the effort put in these pieces and they turned out super. It's funny how you can be satisfied with artwork, look at it a few days later and try and figure out what you were thinking when you did that. At least in my case. But thats why we persevere, to keep improving upon ourselves.

So everyone go draw! smile.gif

+Quote Post
Bill Nichols
post Feb 10 2011, 02:30 AM
Post #13

Advanced Member

QUOTE (colbyz @ Feb 9 2011, 10:20 PM) *
Congrats to Fred, everyone did a great job. I can see all the effort put in these pieces and they turned out super. It's funny how you can be satisfied with artwork, look at it a few days later and try and figure out what you were thinking when you did that. At least in my case. But thats why we persevere, to keep improving upon ourselves.

So everyone go draw! smile.gif

Great attitude!

--------------------

Arteest, my webcomic

+Quote Post
M.e. Walker
post Feb 12 2011, 02:42 AM
Post #14

Member No.: 19,748

Great job Fred and congratulations. It was a really talented bunch of entries.

Thanks everyone for your great reviews on my work. I found it all really helpful and appreciate the opportunity.

--------------------
------------
-M.e. Walker
------------
Facebook Page
DA Portfolio
Deviantart Account
Malicious Intent Studio (opening soon)

+Quote Post
Tim Tilley
post Feb 13 2011, 08:45 PM
Post #15

Freelance Writer and Colorist!

Member No.: 2,926

I'd offer to color Fred's winning piece but I honestly don't know when I'll have the time to do so. However, it looks like it would be a nice piece to both color and see in color.
Congrats to all who entered, I think they are all great!

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 2nd October 2014 - 04:26 AM