Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Look! Up In The Sky!
G-Man
post Feb 25 2009, 12:11 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,660

John that was an excellent column from beginning to end. The quote you used at the start was fabulous. I have that song on a Smallville soundtrack and that line sticks out everytime I hear it.

I used to love to fly....but I have been paranoid about it since my recent return from New York. There seems to have been a lot of "accidents" in the airways of late. The one where the plane crashed into Hudson Bay (and thankfully everyone aboard survived) scared the beejeebies out of me, considering I had recently flown that same flight path twice and the last few weeks and landed and took off from the same airport.

I almost feel like I dodged a bullet. I'm in no hurry to fly again any time soon.

Back to the column....you know the Alan Scott Green Lantern was a magical based flyer. Hal got the science fiction make over in the Silver Age.

I was a little surprised you didn't mention another of your favorite characters, Thor. Maybe because he doesn't really fly but actually gets "pulled through the air".

When it comes to flying characters I always "looked up" to the Angel, but if I could pick a super-power....I'd rather teleport.

--------------------
"Reality is only for those who lack imagination" don't know who first said that....but it works for me!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
John Wilson
post Feb 28 2009, 01:00 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,659

Thanks for the kudos Bill.

I knew Alan's light comes from the Starheart , which is all the "random magic in the galaxy" (as if magic was a tangible and finite thing) gathered by the Guardians in the early days. So even this magic has a touch of sci fi.

In terms of wish fulfillment or as an allegory for human emotions, I'm not sure where Thor would fit, short of the human desire to lay a smack down on people with a big honkin' hammer smile.gif

I thought of Angel to represent the "angelic" paradigm, but my mind almost always hits on DC first when making comics assumptions.

Yeah, I'd be all over "bamfing" around town
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th November 2014 - 08:08 PM