2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Twilight Star Productions, Springfield Ohio's Newest Art Studio
G-Man
post Oct 6 2009, 07:06 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,660

It's official. The first fully functional art studio in Springfield Ohio in nine years, since the death of Darrell Buffington forced Dragonsound Studios to close its doors, is in business.

Twilight Star Studios named after various projects Gary and Derron Church have had in the works for years will open its doors tomorrow evening as studio founders Gary Church, Derron Church, and myself have our first meeting and discuss future projects that will be produced by the studio. Gary just purchased a very nice house and has set up a very nice room that has at the moment three different art tables and he's working on a place to put a fourth. Writers will have access to a computer station as well, equipped with a copier and a scanner.

Tomorrow we will be discussing how often we should meet at the studio and I'm sure a few names will be brought up to add to the group....I'm hoping Scott Riley is one of those names. Possibly Chris Metzger and Frank Raynor as well.

Gary and I met breifly last night as I got the nickel tour. House is very nice and the studio itself is awesome.

The two of us have already discussed a possible semi-annual anthology series called Twilight Star Presents (or something like that). This book will feature small 6 to 7 page stories will various themes from different writers and artists involved with Twilight Star. The very first of these books could end up including a few re-prints from Wicked Tales. (A Matter of Life and Death with art by the Brothers Church), N.I.B. (with Chris Metzger), Tales From the Longbox (with Scott Riley) and a couple of new stories including a story written and illustrated by Derron and a sequel to A Matter of Life and Death (by Gary and myself).

That's just an idea...it is subject to change.

Other titles that will be kicked around will be my ongoing Prodigy series, a book Gary has in the works called G-Code, and Derron and I are discussing the possibilty of ressuracting the Un-Naturals.

If you are a writer, artist, inker, letterer in the Springfield Ohio area we want to hear from you....

contact me at billgladman@yahoo.com

This post has been edited by G-Man: Oct 9 2009, 11:09 AM

--------------------
"Reality is only for those who lack imagination" don't know who first said that....but it works for me!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
G-Man
post Oct 8 2009, 07:08 AM
Post #2

First meeting at the studio last night went very well. In attendance was myself, Gary Church, Derron Church and Frank Raynor. Looks like this will be the core group and the first stuff going out the door from this same group will be...

Prodigy-full length comic written and illustrated by me (still looking for a letterer)
The Un-Naturals-full length comic written and inked by me. Penciled by Derron Church.

And an yet un-named anthology series that will feature in the first issue.

A re-print of A Matter of Life and Death written by me, drawn by Gary and inked by Derron.
A still un-named story written and illustrated by Derron.
G-Code written and illustrated by Gary Church with possible writing help from Frank.
An un-named story written by Frank and illustrated by Derron.
A brand new story (still to go into production that will run in every issue as the lead story) Written by Frank and I and illustrated by the Brothers Church.

The second issue of this series will feature a sequel to A Matter of Life and Death by Gary and myself.

--------------------
"Reality is only for those who lack imagination" don't know who first said that....but it works for me!

+Quote Post
flapjac
post Oct 8 2009, 01:16 PM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 3,032

Love the name. Im really glad to hear that things are starting off well. Sounds like you guys have got alot in store for the future. I'd love to make a trip up there sometime. again, congrats on getting the ball rollin.

--------------------

+Quote Post
G-Man
post Oct 8 2009, 11:08 PM
Post #4

Sounds cool Chris! Sorry to hear I will be missing you Saturday when some of the boys from "The Field" head down to Akumakaze Central...but you are always a welcome to drop in.

On another note...very happy to announce two new additions to Twilight Star. Flatland written and drawn by Jef Price (who knew this guy could draw? I knew he could write...but I'm loving his artwork and his story concepts for this)...anyway Flatland will be appearing in the anathology book and Scott Riley will be inking a story by Frank Raynor and Gary Church.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Lisa Moore
post Oct 8 2009, 11:22 PM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Member No.: 3,037

Just wanted to pop in really quickly and say this all sounds amazing. I also love the name! Looking forward to seeing what you guys can do!

--------------------
-- Lisa
www.hueville.net

E-mail: lisa@just-flats.net

+Quote Post
G-Man
post Oct 8 2009, 11:25 PM
Post #6

Lisa....your name has come up a lot lately. I will be talking to you in the very near future.

(Magic Eight Ball says...G-Man bugging you some more.)

This post has been edited by G-Man: Oct 9 2009, 11:33 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Lisa Moore
post Oct 8 2009, 11:30 PM
Post #7

Advanced Member

Member No.: 3,037

lol, well cool, feel free to bug me any time you want smile.gif

--------------------
-- Lisa
www.hueville.net

E-mail: lisa@just-flats.net

+Quote Post
G-Man
post Oct 9 2009, 11:33 AM
Post #8

Good things continue to happen at Twilight Star.

Here's some of the latest info.

Anthology book (still untitled)

The name of the story written and illustrated by Derron"Dirt" Church is called Temper Tantrum. It's four pages long and it was something he wanted to submit to Wicked Tales but he just couldn't get the loose ends wrapped up before the deadline. From what I understand it's near compliation now. I haven't seen it yet but I'm sure it will impress. Got a chance to actually look through Dirt's portfollio for the first time at Wednesday night's first group meeting....man he's good. A lot better than I expected and I can't wait to see what he does with the Un-Naturals book and his other projects for that matter. He credits me for bringing him out of "retirement". Don't know about all that noise. but however it happened I'm glad the dust has been knocked off of Dirt and the sleeping giant has been awakened.

As mentioned earlier Derron's also very talented younger brother Gary is attached to three stories in the book. A Matter of Life and Death which will run first in Wicked Tales and then be re-printed in the first issue of this book. Gary will be writing and illustrating G-Code which Frank may be helping with as far as writing goes and a new story written by Frank and I. Between Gary and Derron ...got to tell you it's a great time to be a comic book writer in Springfield Ohio.

Jef Price has re-named his story. It is now called Flatworld instead of Flatland. I read a rough draft of the first story last night and this story combined with Jef's very stylistic art should be a huge hit. Jef makes the fifth person out of the six people associated with the studio that can switch up writing to doing art. This is going to make for some very interesting projects down the road.

Speaking of Jef, talked to him yesterday while he was hanging out at Main Street... and Necessary Cool is going to develop a Twlight Star hub on their website. A place anybody can go to find out everything about the studio. There will be complete bio's of every member, progress reports for the stories being develpoed, and sneak peaks of various projects as they near completion.

I have made progress in the effort to secure letterers for the stuff being developed at Twilight Star. I have mentioned it to some degree with two different letterers I have worked with in the past and both seem very open to the suggestion. Both of this people are top notch when it comes to the quality of their work and their all around professinalism. This is a good thing for everyone involved. More on that when it solidifies later.

That's it for now.

--------------------

+Quote Post
ChadStrohl
post Oct 10 2009, 08:08 AM
Post #9

Advanced Member

Member No.: 3,103

Sounds like the plan is moving along. I'm curious to see Jef's work. Of all the times I talked to him, I don't think he ever mentioned writing or drawing.

--------------------

+Quote Post
G-Man
post Oct 10 2009, 09:04 AM
Post #10

Ask and thy shall recieve. Meet Felix the main character in Jef's Flatworld series. Jef will be writing,penciling, inking, and lettering Flatworld.

I love everything about this series so far but I have to admit Jef has an even bigger story on the horizon. One which he will only more than likely be writing. It's called Fallen Earth. Truly epic.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Dave Arhar
post Oct 11 2009, 06:34 PM
Post #11

Advanced Member

Member No.: 2,478

Hey Bill! Best of luck to you and everyone at Twilight Star!

--------------------

+Quote Post
G-Man
post Oct 12 2009, 05:46 PM
Post #12

Thanks Dave!

--------------------

+Quote Post
JefPrice
post Oct 12 2009, 08:02 PM
Post #13

Advanced Member

Member No.: 19,116

Dude, I know that guy who's doing Flatworld. More like flat-stupid hahaha. Wait....

Man. Now that I see that concept for felix here..... I never should have given it to you Bill. LOL

--------------------
Hi. When You're done checking out our very good friends at Comic Related, come hang out with us at NC! And come be my Twitter friend! ...I'm an addict. I go to meetings and everything

+Quote Post
G-Man
post Oct 12 2009, 08:12 PM
Post #14

My Stan Lee/ Gene Simmons persona took over....MUST.....Promote....Something!!!!!

--------------------

+Quote Post
JefPrice
post Oct 12 2009, 08:16 PM
Post #15

Advanced Member

QUOTE (G-Man @ Oct 12 2009, 09:12 PM) *
My Stan Lee/ Gene Simmons persona took over....MUST.....Promote....Something!!!!!

Oh I see... So it's not that you liked it.... You just were getting your promo fix? Lol

--------------------
Hi. When You're done checking out our very good friends at Comic Related, come hang out with us at NC! And come be my Twitter friend! ...I'm an addict. I go to meetings and everything

+Quote Post
G-Man
post Oct 12 2009, 08:24 PM
Post #16

I have my scupples. I don't promote anything I don't like.

Unles I'm getting paid.

--------------------

+Quote Post
JefPrice
post Oct 12 2009, 08:29 PM
Post #17

Advanced Member

Haha Well I'm def not doing that.

Should I post some of the updated work?

--------------------

+Quote Post
G-Man
post Oct 12 2009, 08:31 PM
Post #18

By all means...welcome to the magic of Comic Related.

--------------------

+Quote Post
JefPrice
post Oct 12 2009, 08:37 PM
Post #19

Advanced Member

Thank you sir. I've been meaning to join, just got around to it the other day though.

I'll find some here....

--------------------

+Quote Post
JefPrice
post Oct 12 2009, 09:21 PM
Post #20

Advanced Member

The one that my good friend Bill shared is my first attempt at inking Felix.

Here's the updated look and style.

Attached File  felix_web_.jpg ( 235.49K ) Number of downloads: 9

And this was the very first draft that Bill shared the inked version of.

Attached File  1st_draft__web_.jpg ( 181.12K ) Number of downloads: 7

--------------------

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2014 - 10:13 AM