Reply to this topicStart new topic
New Title CONTRACT, Preview pages
Jessie Garrett
post Apr 4 2008, 02:23 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,618

Hi Guys and Gals,

I found this forum by accident but it seems to be a great place.

I know that I'm new here but I hope it is ok to post a little shameless self promotion.

My name is Garan Madeiros. I'm a Comic Shop owner, Graduate of the Joe Kubert School of Cartooning and Graphic Arts and partner with A FIRST SALVO. A comic studio based out of Bermuda. I am the creator and co-writer for CONTRACT, a new series by A FIRST SALVO which will be out June 2008 with a $0.25 cent preview issue and then July the SUPER SIZED #1 will hit the shelves. It features the artwork of Dave Ross (Star Wars: Dark Times) Ariel Padilla (Tomo) Kevin Sharpe (X-Treme X-men) Sal Velluto (Black Panther) Mark McKenna (Countdown) and more. Lettering by Thad Branco and colors by myself.

I look forward to getting to know everyone on here. I am always short on time BUT I will try and visit and post as often as I can. I usually am reduced to being a lurker unfortunately.

Here is a quick 6 page preview.
Let me know what you think!

Imagine a world without taxes. Nice huh?
Now picture a world without the things taxes provide: No police, no fire service, no military, no Government. Still liking it?
Wait, it gets better.
Now envision everything that was provided by the Government farmed out to the private sector.

Welcome to a dark future of capitalism, where Mercenary is no longer just a soldier for hire, but a way of life. Cyber-powered Mercs lay down the law in this world where life and death is decided by the lowest bidder. Concepts of right and wrong have become a novelty. Jessie Garrett, however, is everything most Mercs are not - honest, selfless and determined to bring order to a greed-hardened world driven mad by money. She and her crew of misfits take the contracts most won't, but with their damaged pasts can they get the job done at all? The 25-cent Contract #0 is the perfect introduction to the new, full-color comic series! Cover by Franchesco!

Diamond Item Code APR083502

Myspace: http://www.myspace.com/stellarrangers
Email: fansalvo@gmail.com

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
ChuckMoore
post Apr 4 2008, 02:39 PM
Post #2

Site Creator

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1

Outstanding! Must link this into the front page immediately...

--------------------

+Quote Post
Jessie Garrett
post Apr 4 2008, 02:49 PM
Post #3

Thanks Chuck!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Jessie Garrett
post Apr 30 2008, 08:37 AM
Post #4

Contract #1 MAY083541 is now listed in the May previews on page 205. It ships with 2 covers 50/50 ratio by Al Rio and Kevin Sharpe respectively. This SUPER-SIZE first issue is only $3.99

Diamond recently did an interview with us which can be found here:
DIAMOND INTERVIEW
http://64.233.169.104/search?q=cache:E1npW...lient=firefox-a

--------------------

+Quote Post
Jessie Garrett
post May 23 2008, 12:01 PM
Post #5

Diamond just put this up on their Diamond Daily Retailer website:

A First Salvo Travels to Capitalist Future with Contract #1
Product News, Diamond Daily, 5/23/2008

A First Salvo brings readers a look at a bleak capitalist future where soldiers-for-hire are the order of the day in Contract #1 (MAY08 3541F), the start of a three-issue limited series available for order now from Diamond!

From creators Garan Maderios and Charles Shell comes this new series that paints a picture of life in a world where being a mercenary isnít just a job but a way of life. In this future, laws are enforced by cyber-powered mercs, while life and death is decided by the lowest bidder. Jessie Garrett is a rarity among mercs: honest, selfless and determined to bring order to worlds driven mad by money. But when a corporate kidnapping goes wrong, Jessie and fellow Mercs Panzer and Tsumi get in over their heads as strip clubs, black-market organ dealers, cyber-enhanced soldiers and the life of one young girl collide.

Easily marketed to fans of science fiction tales packed with ideas and action, the 48-page, full-color Contract #1 is available for order now, so confirm your quantities today!

Item Code Description Price
MAY08 3541F CONTRACT #1 (OF 3) $3.99
JUN08 3608F CONTRACT #2 (OF 3) $2.99

biggrin.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Justin3000
post May 23 2008, 12:55 PM
Post #6

Advanced Member

Member No.: 2,612

Right on! This looks great. Very kinetic.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Jessie Garrett
post May 24 2008, 11:34 AM
Post #7

QUOTE(Justin3000 @ May 23 2008, 01:55 PM) *
Right on! This looks great. Very kinetic.

Hey thanks much Justin,
Be sure to go and request/ promote it at your local comic shop. Its you guys the fans that make a new series successful. AND after the issues come out be sure to write us at fansalvo@gmail.com and tell us what you think. Really thats the best thing is hearing from fans. And if its ok to print the letter in the issues just say OK to print in the email.

smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Richv1
post May 24 2008, 06:52 PM
Post #8

Advanced Member

Member No.: 2,662

Here are my reviews of the first two issues. (SPOILERS)

Title: Contract # 1
Publisher: A First Salvo
Writers: Garan Madeiros & Charles Shell
Artists: Dave Ross, Sal Vellutto, Kevin Sharpe, Mark McKenna & Ariel Padilla
Price: $ 2.99 US
Rating: 5 out of 5 stars
Comments: The team of Jessie, Panzer and Tsumi work well together. Panzer is the brawn, Tsumi the skill and Jessie is one deadly beauty. She dresses like a cowboy but in skin tight black leather and she knows how to get people to do as she wants. Her team Stellar Rangers Inc. when they go into action it is all out action Panzer's strength and Tsumi's skill compliment each other. You'll enjoy watching this team in action. The art showing them is dynamic.
These mercenaries for hire are standard in this futuristic world of corporations. Just this one team stands out since Jessie has a heart. Thats what makes her stand out, that and her cute old western style dress.
The second story has Stellar Rangers Inc. picking up a big bruiser called Adrian "Brute" Bartawski. He is loaded with cybernetic parts. This little self contained story is fantasticly written. It will have you bursting out loud laughing. And you get a cute butt shot at the end.
Next story has the team battling a cybernetic knight. Exactly why is not explained and doesn't need to be. They are merc soldiers for hire. Jessie is shown as the leader and she has that role down pat.
Wait till you see the pin-up of Jessie. She is one merc with a big gun and sexier than any gun totting babe your likely to ever come across.

Title: Contract # 2
Publisher: A First Salvo
Writers: Garan Madeiros & Charles Shell
Artists: Ariel Padilla
Price: $ 2.99 US
Rating: 5 out of 5 stars
The Stellar Rangers Inc. are out to rescue a little girl from the Neuroclaws. What they will do to her you don't want to know. Jessie is looking gorgeous in her imaginative wild west outfit that really does look beautiful in this futuristic setting.
When the action starts its so fast and furious you'll need to wear a seat belt. Hold on tight for this wild ride.
Some good laughs as Tsumi hacks into one of the VR receivers and we see some very different atire for our main stars. Jessies in particular seems to be minimal. It is very revealing.
The Crechebabies cybernetic mercanaries for hire are fun to watch as they live in their own little world.
Jessie and her team of Panzar and Tsumi are wonderful characters. They are diverse but stll mix well. Its a good story with good art delivering a great comic.

Richard Vasseur
www.jazmaonline.com

--------------------
Richard Vasseur
www.jazmaonline.com

+Quote Post
Jessie Garrett
post Jun 3 2008, 01:02 PM
Post #9

In an effort to help promote CONTRACT I'm sending out a call to all the readers and retailers out there.
Here are some downloadable promo posters and an order form that can be printed and taken into your local comic shop.
If you know of retailers, or are a retailer, who is supporting CONTRACT please email me at fansalvo@gmail.com with name and address of the store so that I may personally thank them with a listing in the issues.

Thanks for your time
Garan Madeiros

]

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ron Fortier
post Jun 4 2008, 04:46 PM
Post #10

Member No.: 1,427

Man, I'm so sorry I haven't check this out earlier. The art looks fantastic, color is gorgeous and story much fun. This is a winner I have to pick up.

+Quote Post
Jessie Garrett
post Jun 5 2008, 10:21 PM
Post #11

QUOTE(Ron Fortier @ Jun 4 2008, 05:46 PM) *
Man, I'm so sorry I haven't check this out earlier. The art looks fantastic, color is gorgeous and story much fun. This is a winner I have to pick up.

WOW! Thanks so much Ron, I really appreciate hearing stuff like that.

Here is a review from (super)Heroine Addict! about the first couple issues

http://www.uberwillowtara.com/heroin...ues080521.html

When you check out more of CONTRACT be sure to write to fansalvo@gmail with any comments and so forth, and if its ok to print the letter just say OK TO PRINT.

And THANKS AGAIN!!!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Jessie Garrett
post Jun 9 2008, 10:58 AM
Post #12

QUOTE(Jessie Garrett @ Jun 5 2008, 11:21 PM) *
WOW! Thanks so much Ron, I really appreciate hearing stuff like that.

Here is a review from (super)Heroine Addict! about the first couple issues

http://www.uberwillowtara.com/heroin...ues080521.html
When you check out more of CONTRACT be sure to write to fansalvo@gmail with any comments and so forth, and if its ok to print the letter just say OK TO PRINT.

And THANKS AGAIN!!!

Hummm... For some reason the link above is having some problems so here is the review cut and pasted from the site:

This review is from: http://www.uberwillowtara.com/heroineaddic...sues080521.html
Contract #1 & #2 ~ Okay, bottom line: buy this book. Iím not just saying that because I got to read it for free (hey, Iím still paying for my copies when they ship), but seriously, I have rarely had as much fun per page as I have with Contract. I donít want to suggest that itís Ďcomedyí, because that pigeon-holes books into a played-for-laughs category Ė rather, itís funny the way The Fifth Element or Indiana Jones is funny (Crystal Skull didnít disappoint in that regard). The plot and characters are real and serious, but they often wind up in amusing places, and the dialogue sparkles with witty banter between Jessie, Tsumi, and Panzer, the latterís heavily-accented lines often being laugh-out-loud entertaining. The art is energetic and action-oriented, but with a playful edge that works well in the lighter moments. As sci-fi the story has a kind of pulp flair to it Ė itís intelligent and consistent, but it has a larger-than-life quality that makes anything possible around the next corner (Fifth Element comes to mind again, with its novel designs and concepts). Itís like The Princess Bride meets Blade Runner Ė a grim, tough future, seen through the lens of vivacious, entertaining characters with lashings of finely-crafted dialogue. And I bet you never thought youíd see those two movies cited at the same time. Iíll be reviewing Contract in more detail, plotwise, when it ships, but for now: if you like exciting action/comedy, head down to your local comic shop and tell them to get this in for you.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Jessie Garrett
post Jun 9 2008, 03:28 PM
Post #13

Heres another Review, this time on Newsarama:
http://www.newsarama.com/comics/080609-BestShots080609.html

CONTRACT #0
Story by Garan Madeiros and Charlie Shell
Art by Dave Ross, Sal Velluto, Kevin Sharpe, Ariel Padilla, and Mark McKenna
Published by First Salvo

When I first even heard about this book, it was on my comic shop's list of titles for the upcoming week. I feel it's important, nay, almost an OBLIGATION to at least check out some independent titles on occasion. You don't want to be that sucker that's missing out on a great read just because it doesn't have the press machine that Marvel or DC has.

To quote the Diamond's May Previews: "In a capitalist world's dark future, Mercenary is no longer just a soldier for hire. It's a way of life. Law is enforced by cyber-powered Mercs and life or death is decided by the lowest bidder. There is no right or wrong beyond the price in hard currency. Jessie Garrett, however, is everything most Mercs are not: honest, selfless and determined to bring order to greed-hardened worlds, driven mad by money. But when a corporate kidnapping goes wrong, Jessie, and fellow Mercs, Panzer and Tsumi, get in over their heads."

Now, just reading that I had a flashback to 9th grade games of Rifts after school. Also, the main character, Jessie, looks like an amalgamation between Marshall Bravestarr and Judge J.B. McBride, but I think that's just me. The story is pretty solid. Madeiros and Shell don't just have a script, they have a world. It's not as bizarre as the Marvel 2099 future, but outlandish and entertaining enough to have kept me interested to where I wonder what will happen next. It's seriously a fun read, sort of what "Battle Chasers" was, only in a cyber-western environment. One complaint though, similar to what Robert Jordan did with his epic Wheel of Time series, I would include a glossary in the front or back to explain some of the terminology. Just like how I wish Peter David had included one on his "Dark Tower" series.

A plethora of artists worked together, though the one that stood out for me was Kevin Sharpe. His style is almost J. Scott Campbell meets Adam Hughes. I would love to see this guy become just as popular as the forementioned artists. Any fan of such shows like "Firefly" or the mutually short-lived "Bionic Woman" would love to get a hold of these issues when they hit shelves. Though that itself can be problematic. A lot of big chain stores don't order independent books like this unless it has huge press behind it. Or possibly is about to made into a movie...or some ordeal like that. So more than likely you are going to have to ask for this (I had to at my girlfriend's shop) so it CAN fill the shelves. Okay, so maybe not fill the shelves...that would mean nobody is buying it. You get the gist though. Now, the company knows you are taking a risk on an unknown, independent comic so Contract #0 will only cost you a mere $0.25! So, if you've got the time, and the spare quarter, check this title out. What do you have to lose?

--And so you know the first issue will have a glossary similar to the one in this threads preview pages.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Jessie Garrett
post Jul 24 2008, 06:44 AM
Post #14

I just wanted to thank everyone out there who has show an interest in CONTRACT. It will be available at Comic shops on July 30th. If you have a local comic shop that you go to just ask them for it . If they didn't order any copies, after you chastise them (LOL) they can special order it for you. The Diamond order codes for the first 3 issues of the miniseries are:
MAY083541 CONTRACT #1
JUN083608 CONTRACT #2
JUL083607 CONTRACT #3

Or you can always check out some of the many online comic shops out there, any should be able to get you the issues.
Thanks again all
Garan Madeiros

--------------------

+Quote Post
Jessie Garrett
post Aug 2 2008, 10:50 PM
Post #15

CONTRACT #1 is now on the shelves so if your Local Comic shop didnt get any please be sure to get them to put in a reorder for you.
Thanks for all the support of readers out there.

Garan Madeiros

--------------------

+Quote Post
Jessie Garrett
post Aug 28 2008, 11:07 AM
Post #16

CONTRACT #2 is now on comic shelves. Be sure to stop by your local comic shop and if they don't have issues 1 and 2, (after you chastise them laugh.gif ) be sure to have them place a reorder for you.

MAY083541 CONTRACT #1
JUN083608 CONTRACT #2
JUL083607 CONTRACT #3

And if you managed to snag some CONTRACT issues please shoot us an email at fansalvo@gmail.com and tell us what you thought.

And if its OK to print the letter please state OK TO PRINT!

Its the fans and retailers out there that make a successful book so I sincerely thank guys and gals for taking the time.

--------------------

+Quote Post
ChuckMoore
post Aug 28 2008, 03:16 PM
Post #17

Site Creator

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1

Nice covers!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Jessie Garrett
post Sep 2 2008, 01:25 PM
Post #18

Thanks for the compliment, Ariel Padilla, Al Rio, Kevin Sharpe and Danimation all did some great work for these covers. Im really pleased how they came out.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Jessie Garrett
post Sep 21 2008, 09:01 AM
Post #19

CONTRACT #3 hits shelves this Wednesday (Sept 24th)

--------------------

+Quote Post
Jessie Garrett
post Nov 2 2008, 10:05 AM
Post #20

The new CONTRACT Solo Missions: Tsumi just hit the stands. Make sure you check it out.
The next Solo mission issue feature Jessie in November and Panzer in December.

--------------------

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 31st October 2014 - 02:28 PM