Erics corner
Erics corner

I blog about everything in pop culture

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Marvel and DC heat the fight back up!

Posted by doombug, Jan 15 2010, 09:59 PM

Wow what a week it's been for the comic reading public huh?

DC comes out the gate fighting announcement two new bi weekly series wrote by 3 fan favorites and a man that no one can ever really make up their minds about.

The first being Brightest Day by Geoff Johns and Peter Tomasi which will explore a post Blackest Night DCU and figure into several books. I'm excited for this if only because Tomasi has really become a writer to watch out for at DC. His GLC (which he's staying on) has been amazing and he and Geoff work incredibly well together. (For those that don't know, he was the editor on the Green Lantern relaunch)

Though that also leads into the biggest thing i'm excited for in 2010, the entire Green Lantern landscape with the hint of a new status quo (new leadership in control) and just what it means for Hal and the others.

Keith Giffen will be one very busy man for the next year teaming up with judd Winnick to reunite the JLI in Justice League Innocence lost and then teaming up with his old JLI partner in crime Dematties with Booster Gold. Both announcements make me a very happy fanboy and it seems to be ushering in the return of a very fan favorite beetle. I'm sad that Dan's leaving the book for a little while but happy with the team replacing him. Though I hope this is Exiles and Green Arrow/Black Canary Judd Winnick coming into this team and not Titans Judd.

Of course these weren't the only announcements at DC getting me excited as fan favorite writer Gail Simone has been announced to be returning to the Birds of Prey with a relaunch! I will be curious to see how Gail does handling three monthlies as well as who she adds to the birds. Always great to see Lady BlackHawk, Dinah, Huntress and Bab's back together. I just hope misfit is along for the ride as well.

It seems to me that DC heard the fans, reuniting the JLI for a biweekly series is pretty brilliant. I respect keeping a team that actually knows Booster on his book as well and I know I'm happy that Dan wont be off the book forever.

On the Marvel side of things it seems like a major Shake up has just been announced as all the Avengers books are ending in April. Yes you read that right....all of the Avengers books are ending.

Obviously they wont be gone for long. Rich Johnston reported towards the end of 2009 that Initiative would be replaced by a book called Avengers Academy still wrote by Christos Gage. http://www.bleedingcool.com/2009/10/18/ave...arts-next-year/

My current working theories (Mind you I know none of this as fact, just working theories):

Marvel Boy joins up with Bendis main series when it relaunches with a new #1. That series will also feature a few of the people that were in New Avengers.

Clint Barton will have the long awaited return of his Hawkeye costume but will have multiple weapons in his quiver.

Bobbi Morse will have a new codename.

The Young Avengers will come face to face with the real Wanda Maximoff.

Hank Pym and Iron Man will co exist on the same Avengers team which will be wrote by Dan Slott.

We will have two Avengers titles. One will be the Hank/Tony team. The other will be the Clint/Bucky team.

Janet Van Dyne will be found by the Guardians of the galaxy and stay in space for a while.

Thor, Tony and Steve will all be active in the Avengers.

Steve Rogers will be the new head of Avengers the academy.

Natasha Romanava will officially join up with Clint Barton's Avengers team.

Deadpool will attempt to join one of these teams and fail horrible. (Because Wade likes to be everywhere at once)

During the New Marvel Age we will get the Fault trying to attack the earth.Which will lead to a Guardians/Avengers/SWORD Crossover.

So to end this edition of the column, bring on the new year! I'm ready to have my wallet start crying both companies! Though I swear if any of the above is true I will start thinking I have found myself in the head of Tom brev0ort. tongue.gif

Comments

G-Man, Jan 16 2010, 05:13 PM

Please, please,please......keep that stinky little S.W.O.R.D joke of a book away from the Avengers and the Guardians.

doombug, Jan 16 2010, 05:23 PM

QUOTE (G-Man @ Jan 16 2010, 06:13 PM)
Please, please,please......keep that stinky little S.W.O.R.D joke of a book away from the Avengers and the Guardians.

It would make sense if the fault was coming towards earth which speaking of:

I was right. The real Quasar just showed back up, that was the fault version at the end of the realm of kings one shot. So we have two quasars running around! cool.gif

The only bad thing about SWORD is the way Hank is drawn.

JefPrice, Jan 17 2010, 12:06 AM

The only thing bad about SWORD is that it sucks. Lol

I think it's much more likely we'll see Tony/Clint or Bucky and Hank on the other. They won;t put both the smart guys on the same team when Hank does nothing but try and prove he's smarter then tony.

I doubt we'll see Slott take over bot Avengers books, he may get one, but Bendis has one as well according to everything out there right now.

It's not Toms mind you want to be in, he's not the final say guy, he's the make sure it all makes sense guy lol and you spelled his named wrong.

This post has been edited by JefPrice: Jan 17 2010, 12:08 AM

G-Man, Jan 18 2010, 08:33 PM

S.W.O.R.D. is getting canceled at issue #5......so that just about sums that up.

« Next Oldest · Erics corner · Next Newest »