Reply to this topicStart new topic
Fred Lang's Marvel Comics Pencil Test
ChadStrohl
post May 16 2011, 01:26 PM
Post #61

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,103

Well Fred, good luck on your mission. But I agree with Bill... don't get too hard on yourself or that "flow" will never come.

At least you didn't use the same Wolverine pose you've used in at least a dozen other works of "art". (Really, I'm not trying to make this a Greg Land bash, but after looking at that page again I had one of those wait a minute moments.)

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Ron Fortier
post May 16 2011, 07:13 PM
Post #62

Member No.: 1,427

Hi Fred, sorry I wasn't on board to jump into this one earlier, but just got back from Arkansas and the very, very cool debut of Pulp Ark. Had so much fun.
More on that later.
While there I was talking to a young writer worried about how to attain professional status. I gave him a reply that my artist pal, Rob Davis. totally agreed with. Remember, Rob's a pro who worked both at DC and Marvel.
Here's what I told the young creator. Just like in those old Warner Bros. cartoons, imagine two little versions of yourself standing on your shoulders, one the Demon/You and the other the Angel/You. Now the Demon/You has only one goal, to completely discourage you and make you stop utilizing your God given talents, whatever they are. He is forever going to tell you it is not good enough, that you are a fraud and sooner or later the whole world is going to find out and you really should quit while you're ahead. Again, every single pro I know is all to familiar with this Demon/You. I've yet to meet a creator who doesn't know him.
Whereas the Angel/You says you do have awesome talent worthy of attention and respect and you should put your stuff out there for the whole world to see.
The trick in being a pro is learning how to tune out Demon/You and keep at it. It's never easy...but just keep one thing in mind, HE LIES!!!

This post has been edited by Ron Fortier: May 16 2011, 07:14 PM

+Quote Post
Tim Tilley
post May 16 2011, 09:09 PM
Post #63

Freelance Writer and Colorist!

Member No.: 2,926

Technically you have less than 96 days, because you still will need to find a digital inker, and allow me or another color artist a week to add some color to your sample pages. Okay, technically that's not true, it's only if you'd want them in color. Either way, I wish you the best of luck when the times comes.

+Quote Post
Guest_cougar18_*
post May 17 2011, 10:08 AM
Post #64

Guests

QUOTE (ChadStrohl @ May 16 2011, 11:26 AM) *
Well Fred, good luck on your mission. But I agree with Bill... don't get too hard on yourself or that "flow" will never come.

At least you didn't use the same Wolverine pose you've used in at least a dozen other works of "art". (Really, I'm not trying to make this a Greg Land bash, but after looking at that page again I had one of those wait a minute moments.)

Yeah, it comes across as a lack of respect for the medium and his fans, since he is so blatant about it. I mean, he recycles so often one would think he was part of green peace.

+Quote Post

4 Pages V  « < 2 3 4
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th September 2014 - 09:58 AM