Reply to this topicStart new topic
Torchwood
ChuckMoore
post Jan 4 2008, 12:07 PM
Post #1

Site Creator

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1

I just updated our Torchwood media hub adding the BBC America Season 2 Trailer. The audio on the video is a bit faint so be sure to turn up your speakers up on this one. It's worth it as it contains a great lead in and some of the first footage I've seen of James Marsters (Spike from Buffy) in his new role for the show!

Freema Agyeman (Martha Jones) on for three episodes

James Marsters on for at least one episode

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
ChuckMoore
post Jan 4 2008, 01:12 PM
Post #2

Site Creator

Only 24 days left until it's back!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ron Fortier
post Apr 30 2008, 07:47 AM
Post #3

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,427

Well I finally got to sit down yesterday and watch the second season finale of Torchwood. And it left me in tears, numb and saying Bravo!!
The writers on this show have raise the bar in creating characters we believe in and come to think of as personal friends, amigos. That some of them die is always hard to take, but then again it reflects the truth of all our lives. Torchwood and Lost remain my all time favorite TV shows.
Can't wait to see who the team will recruit next season.

+Quote Post
ChuckMoore
post Apr 30 2008, 11:53 AM
Post #4

Site Creator

The entire second half of the season was just mind blowingly good in my opinion. Those last two episodes (telling how they all came to be with Torchwood and the jaw drop finale) just blew me away.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Mark Ellis
post May 1 2008, 02:13 PM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Member No.: 2,619

QUOTE(ChuckMoore @ Apr 30 2008, 01:53 PM) *
The entire second half of the season was just mind blowingly good in my opinion. Those last two episodes (telling how they all came to be with Torchwood and the jaw drop finale) just blew me away.

One of the things I've always been singularly impressed by Torchwood (despite some plotting and story structure issues) is how the writers steadfastly refused to follow a formula.

Things

Actually

HAPPENED.

Their mandate was to tell the damn story.

They didn't drag out the plot for a single episode for three-quarters of a season, like so many US TV series (>koffHeroeskoff<>AH-Lost-Choo!<) have fallen into the habit of doing, so the viewer gets treated to a couple vignettes every episode instead of real story.

Nor did Torchwood retreat into the SF and fantasy elements which is so often is a hallmark of SF on US TV.

They faced them head-on, none of this "could be a fish-headed alien taking that woman hostage or it could be part of an elaborate yet pointless government misinformation program."

Nope, in Torchwood it really was a fish-headed alien taking a woman hostage.

A truly remarkable series in my opinion. Smart, original, witty, downright funny, with a wonderfully quirky cast of characters who possessed all of the usual human flaws (petty, sometimes venal and selfish), but when the chips were down always showed their true heroic natures.

Torchwood set a new standard in SF drama, in my opinon.

--------------------

+Quote Post
TheGeekfather
post May 2 2008, 09:52 AM
Post #6

Advanced Member

Member No.: 2,614

If it wasn't for my wife's addiction to reality TV I would probably watch more BBC America than network TV... and Hell's Kitchen is one of her favorites, though I don't think she realizes that Gordon Ramsey has a couple of BBC shows too.

Torchwood is my favorite on the channel, but Life on Mars, Wire in the Blood, and Robin Hood are all pretty darn good too. I think that they all do a pretty good job of staying away from the soap opera-like pacing of current US network dramas (you know what I mean, you can skip a couple of episodes and nothing has REALLY changed when you pick back up). I love LOST and Heroes, but get very frustrated when and episode's promised big revalation turns out to be that character A and character B are related in some way we didn't know before... yes that's interesting... but does it really take AN ENTIRE EPISODE to get it out.

OK... I'm ranting now... let me bring it all back together for you.

The pacing of most of the BBC dramas seems to be a little more user-friendly. I always compare dramas with over-arching plot mysteries to The X-Files (which, for me anyway, struck an amazing balance of keeping me guessing while at the same time never letting me walk away from a single episode unsatisfied). In that regard, Torchwood (and most of the BBC programs I've watched) have more in common with the X-files than Days of Our Lives.

--------------------
DIGGIT?

The Geekfather

"If you want to know what lies down the road... talk to the person with the bloodiest feet."

+Quote Post
Lisa Moore
post Jul 21 2009, 04:39 PM
Post #7

Advanced Member

Member No.: 3,037

So anyone watching the new Torchwood series on BBC America this week? My satellite TV is down at the moment, yipee for direc tv. So they should be coming to fix it tomorrow. So I'm hoping for a replay of the first 3 episodes so I can catch up.

Anyway basically wondering how it is so far. Just really want to make sure the TV is back up and running for the Doctor Who special on Sunday that I still haven't watched.

--------------------
-- Lisa
www.hueville.net

E-mail: lisa@just-flats.net

+Quote Post
doombug
post Jul 21 2009, 09:02 PM
Post #8

Eric Ratcliffe

Member No.: 2,668

QUOTE (Lisa Moore @ Jul 21 2009, 06:39 PM) *
So anyone watching the new Torchwood series on BBC America this week? My satellite TV is down at the moment, yipee for direc tv. So they should be coming to fix it tomorrow. So I'm hoping for a replay of the first 3 episodes so I can catch up.

Anyway basically wondering how it is so far. Just really want to make sure the TV is back up and running for the Doctor Who special on Sunday that I still haven't watched.

watched it the other week as it leaked online, great great stuff.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Lisa Moore
post Jul 23 2009, 01:08 AM
Post #9

Advanced Member

Member No.: 3,037

QUOTE (doombug @ Jul 21 2009, 10:02 PM) *
watched it the other week as it leaked online, great great stuff.

Oh you cheater, lol

Finally got the directv fixed today. It's been out for almost a week. Some part on the dish went out, not sure what it was exactly but we have TV again. So luckily found that they are indeed going to be rerunning the entire 5 episode series on Sunday before the Doctor Who premiere. So got the DVR tuned up to record all of that. It's been annoying all week ads have been popping up for torchwood on hulu and other such places while I've been watching stuff while I work. Just taunting me, ha ha

Anyway, glad to hear it was a good series. I'm really looking forward to it.

--------------------
-- Lisa
www.hueville.net

E-mail: lisa@just-flats.net

+Quote Post
Larry N Young
post Jul 23 2009, 09:46 AM
Post #10

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,580

I also watched it when it leaked online. It was a great story from start to finish.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd November 2014 - 01:11 AM