IPB
MORE @ COMIC RELATED: NEWS COLUMNS REVIEWS PODCASTS BLOGS

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Adam Hughes stops convention requests at the con., One Bad Apple.
Guest_cougar18_*
post May 4 2011, 08:47 AM
Post #21

Guests

QUOTE (wwi3313 @ May 4 2011, 06:56 AM) *
But Cougar is 100% CORRECT, which just proves Hughes is being a bit of an @$$hole here. Sign it to the guy in question -- DONE DEAL! But instead, we have to hear about how this other guy is so bad for making his purchase an investment? Can't get behind that one...

Wow, wwi3313, I have never had someone say I was 100% correct, about anything, before...*sniff*

Excuse me, I think I've got something in my eye...*sniff*
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Tim Tilley
post May 4 2011, 09:56 AM
Post #22

Freelance Writer and Colorist!

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,926

It's not just artists who sometimes charge more than they should, writers do it as well. Bendis, and even Neil Gaiman. However, at least Gaiman donates to charities.

"As anyone who’s read the FAQ (which was written in 2002, thus the Clinton reference) or has been reading this blog for a while knows, if you want to hire me to come and talk somewhere, and people do, I’m expensive. Not just a bit pricy. Really expensive." That said, he also does free work as well, and that's why I like the guy so much, he actually treats his fans well. "In fact most of the talks and appearances I do are for free." Source: http://journal.neilgaiman.com/2010/05/poli...-in-teacup.html

Where as with Hughes, from what I can gather from his Mid-Ohio appearance as well as various blogs, youtube videos, etc. is that he comes off as an egotistical jerk. If you're home is paid for, you can afford new clothes, food and other necessities, and you are debt free... there is no need to be charging hundreds of dollars for commission work, let alone sketches.

Between paying rent money for a single mono-chromatic sketch from Hughes, and getting a FREE sketch from Jim Lee, guess which one I'm standing in line for? Heck, I think Jim Lee's work is a billion times better than Hughes, and Jim will not only do it for free, but he'll pose for pictures and videos, and not ask for ANYTHING in return.

I wish Adam the best of luck but I will never buy any of his work for a long as I live... at least not for anything over $50. Our economy is in a bad spot, we're not all millionaires, heck some people aren't even thousandaires, treating your fans with respect goes a very long way. Charging as much as he does is almost disrespectful in some ways, it's just flat out greed. I would understand if the proceeds or a portion thereof went to charities but they don't.

People are losing their homes, and living out on the streets... for what he charges for art, that could feed a family of four for a day. If I ever get to be in a similar situation, you better believe that I'll be more humble and give back to the fans that gave me my success in the first place.

--------------------
View my lastest work.
Spook Central's Fan page.
Spook Central's: Mysapce.
Spook Central's Twitter: account.
My blog on: Tumblr.

spookcentralelementary@gmail.com
TimTilleyWriterGuy@yahoo.com

+Quote Post
SapphireGypsy
post May 4 2011, 09:56 AM
Post #23

Advanced Member

Member No.: 19,556

Since it's turning into an argument about him not getting enough money, I'll kind of prove that it's not about the money for him.

At C2E2 for the first couple of hours of each day he would do actual 5 minute sketches for free! That's right FREE! He kept none of the money all he asked was for a $5 minimum donation to a charity that I can't remember the name of off the top of my head, but I know Spazzy would because that's how she got her Hughes.

It's NOT about the MONEY for him, it's about the fact that he's done low cost commissions at cons so FANS can afford to own one and this guy managed to tug the right heart strings to make sure he got one instead of one of the 50+ other people who were on the list.

It's NOT about the fact that HE didn't get the money, he's upset that instead of that time on that commission going to someone who'd wanted one for YEARS it went to some douche bag who turned around and sold it for a profit. It's NOT about the money, it's about the intent. The guy LIED to him, to Allison to get them to choose him off the list and instead of it going to a fan it went to ebay.

Yes, he could sign it to the person, but not everyone wants a dedication on their ART WORK. If they're putting it on a wall with other art pieces they might not want "TO SPAZZY, LOVE AH!" on the corner.

--------------------

+Quote Post
MasonEasley
post May 4 2011, 10:54 AM
Post #24

Advanced Member

Member No.: 15,679

QUOTE (SapphireGypsy @ May 4 2011, 11:56 AM) *
Since it's turning into an argument about him not getting enough money, I'll kind of prove that it's not about the money for him.

At C2E2 for the first couple of hours of each day he would do actual 5 minute sketches for free! That's right FREE! He kept none of the money all he asked was for a $5 minimum donation to a charity that I can't remember the name of off the top of my head, but I know Spazzy would because that's how she got her Hughes.

It's NOT about the MONEY for him, it's about the fact that he's done low cost commissions at cons so FANS can afford to own one and this guy managed to tug the right heart strings to make sure he got one instead of one of the 50+ other people who were on the list.

It's NOT about the fact that HE didn't get the money, he's upset that instead of that time on that commission going to someone who'd wanted one for YEARS it went to some douche bag who turned around and sold it for a profit. It's NOT about the money, it's about the intent. The guy LIED to him, to Allison to get them to choose him off the list and instead of it going to a fan it went to ebay.

Yes, he could sign it to the person, but not everyone wants a dedication on their ART WORK. If they're putting it on a wall with other art pieces they might not want "TO SPAZZY, LOVE AH!" on the corner.

Agreed. If it were about the money, Hughes would be charging thousands of dollars for his work at shows. Obviously people think the work is worth that much because its being sold on ebay for that much.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Greg G.
post May 4 2011, 11:21 AM
Post #25

Advanced Member

Member No.: 19,808

QUOTE (Tim Tilley @ May 4 2011, 11:56 AM) *
Where as with Hughes, from what I can gather from his Mid-Ohio appearance as well as various blogs, youtube videos, etc. is that he comes off as an egotistical jerk. If you're home is paid for, you can afford new clothes, food and other necessities, and you are debt free... there is no need to be charging hundreds of dollars for commission work, let alone sketches.

Between paying rent money for a single mono-chromatic sketch from Hughes, and getting a FREE sketch from Jim Lee, guess which one I'm standing in line for? Heck, I think Jim Lee's work is a billion times better than Hughes, and Jim will not only do it for free, but he'll pose for pictures and videos, and not ask for ANYTHING in return.

Let's not be silly now. You're judging the man by videos off the Internet and not personal interaction? Not cool.

I was at Mid Ohio Con last year and spoke with him and his wife, and he's a difficult cat to read (I think he just has a very straight delivery without giving you a tell); but he was open to all my questions about technique and he didn't seem to be put upon or bothered by me just buzzing around being a fan asking questions at his table. Dare I say, there was a discussion had.

On the other hand there was also another popular artist there who stopped doing fan sketches years ago, is also popular for drawing pretty ladies, and his table was practically empty. That artist really didn't seem to be interested in chatting with his fans. I witnessed him shushing along fans, until a retailer came up and then there was a conversation struck up about how his books were selling in the guy's shop.

Jim Lee sounds like a real gift to comic fans. The guy is insanely popular and from everything I've read, seen, heard he's also a super nice guy.

Let's not forget how fans can be weenies either. When I was at the Pittsburgh show, I watched two guys get FREE sketches from Phil Jiminez. Just sitting there, watching him draw, and every so often trying to give Phil some direction or advice on how to draw their FREE sketch. They weren't friendly, they weren't talking to Phil about what books he enjoyed working on, they were being socially awkward and somewhat greedy. Both times Phil piped in, "Let me draw. You'll get something cool."

I think the bottom line here is be nice to your heroes and your heroes will be nice to you.

As a cartoonist, I think it would be pretty awesome to sell an illustration for $200+ a pop at a convention. I think it's something we all strive toward, and realistically most cartoonists work without insurance packages or any other sort of employer benefits; so making as much money as possible is key to comfortable living. If you don't believe me, go take a look at how much health and dental insurance would cost you out of pocket.

At the end of the day, we're not entitled to custom art from our heroes. No matter what price they set.

That's my rational stance, my fanboy stance is still "WAHHHH! I want my own Adam Hughes sketch." wink.gif

--------------------
You know, life is funny.
If you don't repeat the actions of your own success
You won't be successful
You gotta know your own formula, your own ingredients
What made you, YOU.

+Quote Post
Tim Tilley
post May 4 2011, 12:54 PM
Post #26

EDIT: Editing this to include quote tags for Alison's comments.

I apologize for passing full judgment based on a handful of videos, but I think I can have the right to pass judgment based on his/their actions, or partially at least.

I'm not sure if it's more of Alison making the complaints, or Adam, but what I can do is comment on what I read, which were supposedly quoted from her comments via the yahoo group.

Here’s how things will work going forward. Adam was only able to get 3 sketches done this past weekend- and was was for the S.O.B. that turned around and eBayed it. So now Adam will eBay one sketch per convention day. If its a 2-day show, there will be 2 auctions. 3-day show, there will be three auctions. No more $200 and $400 sketches. Sorry. But if Adam has to kill himself drawing so that some lying slime ball can go home and make a profit off of his hard work, then forget
it.

No personal offense is meant or directed to Mason, Saph or Greg but ... How can he be upset for someone doing something that is not only commonly known to happen but EXPECTED to happen? That's the thing with doing art for someone and SELLING it, you take the risk of the person re-selling it. It's going to happen at least 30% if not 50% of the time. He/They chose to "sell" a sketch to this guy, it WAS their choice, they had to have known there was a chance of him selling it on eBAY and that goes for ALL of their fans who "wanted" one for years. The fact is he sold the art for money he received in return, he should not be complaining about that. You don't hear the other millions of artists complaining about it happening, at least not to the degree Adam has.

Adam will eBay one sketch per convention day. No more $200 and $400 sketches.

Are you sure it's not about the money?, because it sure sounds like it based on that quote. If he wasn't wanting more money for his art, he'd offer to sale them on his website, for $5 a piece and then donate the money earned to charity. Yet, this isn't what's happening. To me this is the "If I can't have her, no one will!" attitude. One person sales his five to fifteen minutes worth of work for a profit, and that's why he is upset. It's because the person made a profit that upset him. So it really is about the money, otherwise this situation wouldn't have been a problem for him, much less a big deal.

So the compromise is if eBay is where they will end up, then eBay is where they will start.

Alison basically said that ALL of his sketches end up on eBAY, which isn't true at all, just because a handful of them do end up there doesn't mean that they ALL end up there. It's an unfair justification.

I’m sorry for all those people to whom we said "everyone gets one sooner or later", because now that probably won’t be the case.

Yeah, no duh. Which is what I don't understand. If this was all about ONE of the other fans whom really wanted one but, didn't get one because they opted to give this guy one; then why stop doing sketches and thus preventing those caring fans from having a chance to get said art? Basically they are saying that from here on out the fans don't matter, and NO one will get a sketch now. Instead he would rather reap more profit by selling the art himself. ... which brings me back to why I do think it's all about the money. Why is he saying no more than $300-$400 for those sketches? If it wasn't about money or making a profit, he wouldn't and shouldn't even put said art up on eBAY. After all, it's only fair that if con goers can't obtain a sketch, neither should the people who buy art on eBAY.

What bothers me most is how annoyingly persistent the guy was. He lingered, hovered, and made all sorts of stories up about how much he really wanted his sketch. Essentially, he lied and he lied a lot, at the expense of real fans. Adam could have spent that time drawing for someone on the list that really DID want the sketch. I hope this guy chokes.

First off, that's a piss poor attitude to say that you hope the guy chokes. Secondly, I'm going back to what I said before. He SOLD the art, and they CHOSE to give him said art... the choice was theirs to make and they made it. Punishing everyone else for their poor decision making isn't fair to the very fans they claim to care about. He or they could have told the guy no, apologized for it and then offer to put him in the "list," but they didn't. They have no right to be upset for his actions. If they need to blame anyone, it's themselves.

Via Bleeding Cool: "Some art buyers asked about the rights of a commissioner to sell the work they’d gained. Alison clarified further."

Her response:
I have always said selling art is the owner’s perogative. However, to set out to buy one of these pieces with the sole intention of selling it- that’s “flipping” and not “life happening”. A member of the Yahoo group here is selling his Black Queen sketch that he won as an guaranteed ebay Auction last year or the year before- life happens: he is getting married and wants to surprise his bride to be with an amazing honeymoon trip. Heck- I myself have had to sell art in the past to make my rent. But I didn’t say to myself “If I buy this sketch that is severely underpriced, I could take it home and sell it and pay my rent for four months."

BAM! She summed it up and admitted it right there... She admits that she thinks that selling art is the "owner's" prerogative. Again, it's a con sketch, not an Alex Ross hand painted cover that he spent weeks on, it was a five to fifteen minute sketch... SKETCH. It's not even like it was a cover illustration, or interior comic pages, no... it was sketch. I think they are blowing this situation out of proportion. They claim to care about the fans and then shun them flat out, which is childish.
You can't blame the whole world's actions for one person's mistake... when they were the ones who allowed it to happen. If the guy wasn't on the list to get one, then she /Adam should not have allowed him to get one, plain and simple.

I'm sorry but, "... buy this sketch that is severely underpriced," If that is the case then they should be charging what they think they deserve for the art, and not complain when no one buys any, or give them away for FREE because they really do "care" about their fans.

As for sketch cards: when we draw sketch cards, we know we are drawing them so that people can buy cases, break them, re-sell the cards and try and at least make their money back, and at best make a killing. We go into the deal knowing that- even Adam. When Adam does sketch cards, we know that a very small percentage of people actually keep their pulls. And knowing it, he chooses to still do sketch cards. That’s his choice. If people in line said “I’m going to buy this drawing to flip it” then Adam could make an educated decision about doing the drawing. But this is deceitful, where as sketch cards are all about trading and selling, and almost always have been.

So with sketch cards they draw them knowing that they are drawing them so that people can buy cases, break them, re-sell the cards and try and at least make their money back, how is that different than the sketches? It seems to me that if they know people will sell the cards to gain profit--and they still do them, they can't complain when someone does the same thing with sketch. It is after all the same concept. Once more, it is common it happens ALL the time.

Finally, he doesn't own any of the rights to any of the characters he draws and yet charges money for them. Isn't that technically illegal, yeah everyone does it but to me how can he complain about someone selling some art of his that he sold, when he himself doesn't even own the rights to profit off the sales of those characters!

He is no better than any other artist out there, but based on their actions and the things they have been quoted as saying, it sure seems like they have an attitude problem. Please note that I am not saying it's true, just that it appears that they do. Treat your fans with respect and dignity, don't complain about the trouble makers and you will go far. Once you start mistreating them, prepare for a loss of reputation.

Am I being judgmental, perhaps a tiny bit, but I usually base my judgment on people's actions. Actions speak louder than words, and these actions are screaming.

This post has been edited by Tim Tilley: May 4 2011, 01:15 PM

+Quote Post
wwi3313
post May 4 2011, 01:05 PM
Post #27

Advanced Member

Member No.: 3,055

QUOTE (MasonEasley @ May 4 2011, 10:11 AM) *
Well you're not his target audience. His target audience is people who can afford to pay hundreds of dollars for original comic artwork. It just so happens that his work is clearly worth a lot more than that, and he's known that for quite some time. He's selling you something at far below market value, He's making it just for you, and he's working hard to make it look awesome. Sure he can put your name on it, but I've seen those up on ebay as well, and people still pay thousands of dollars for it, even if their name isn't on it.

Hughes isn't griping that he has to draw sketches for people. Hughes is griping because people were taking advantage of him. That's a fair gripe to make. Now you could make the argument that he simply realized that he could make more money selling stuff via ebay than via conventions and is using this incident as an excuse, but you can't fault him for that either. That's simply being a good businessman.

Market forces are driving all of this, and Hughes simply decided to hop in the driver's seat.

There is NO SET market value on artwork. It's based solely on aesthetic consideration and what's set by the artist themselves -- that's why multi-year pieces can be sold at the same amount or even trumped by seemingly random splashes of paint against a canvas. This is CERTAINLY a matter of him being greedy -- what artist doesn't want the value in his work to grow? People flip objects for profit all the time -- doing something to make the work more valuable -- in this case, you get to circumvent having to have been at the show AND hoping to have been one of the few he selected to do work for. Its no different than an art dealer, who instead of holding on to the piece FOR the artist has already invested their own money to buy it outright. Hell -- that's how the comic book market works -- shops buy books at a set price and turn around sell it for what they choose.

--------------------

+Quote Post
ChadStrohl
post May 4 2011, 01:34 PM
Post #28

Advanced Member

Member No.: 3,103

Amazing Fantasy #15 weighs in at around $120,000 or so (give or take the auction action). Cover price was $0.12. Markup of about 1 million %.

Quite a bit overpriced, eh?

I wonder how much of that "overage" goes to Stan Lee or Marvel Comics?

Yes. I am being facetious. wink.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
ChadStrohl
post May 4 2011, 01:35 PM
Post #29

Advanced Member

Member No.: 3,103

But to play my own devil's advocate. Adam Hughes can do whatever he wants. His hands. His art. His call.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Tim Tilley
post May 4 2011, 01:53 PM
Post #30

QUOTE (ChadStrohl @ May 4 2011, 03:34 PM) *
Amazing Fantasy #15 weighs in at around $120,000 or so (give or take the auction action). Cover price was $0.12. Markup of about 1 million %.

Quite a bit overpriced, eh?

I wonder how much of that "overage" goes to Stan Lee or Marvel Comics?

Yes. I am being facetious. ;)

But to play my own devil's advocate. Adam Hughes can do whatever he wants. His hands. His art. His call.

None of the money from the sales of AF #15 go to Stan or Ditko, because they already earned their income from it.
By that I mean, Steve was paid for his time doing the art, and Stan for his time as writer/editor, the comic itself was
purchased, once that happened, the new owner can do what they want with it, even set it on fire if they please.

As for for Adam doing as he pleases, sure... I agree with that. He has the right to do what he wants with the art,
I just don't agree with the fact that he truly cares about the fans, than he does making a "larger" profit off of the art.
I also think he is unfairly "crying" over spilled milk in this situation.

Just to quote him on Twitter: "THAT is why I'm so mad: these sketches should go to people who WANT them, not middle-men making an unearned buck along the way."
My response is that, if that was truly his opinion and that he really cares about the people who want them, that he wouldn't cease doing con sketches. He should just forget about it, move on and continue doing what he has been doing all along.

"It's not brainless, it's malicious. Paying $400 for a sketch WITH THE INTENT make a 300-500% profit drives me insane."

He is angry because someone paid him $400 for a sketch, one that he spent less than an hour on. At this exact time, that's more than I have made all year and for some that $400 is a month's worth of rent or food on their table... how can he be upset? He sold the art for $400 ... I think the guy who bought it (even if he was "flipping" it) had EVERY right to sell it. The guy paid for the art, it should be his to do as he pleases. Yes, it's sad that a single "other" fan missed out on this but Adam profited big time on that single sketch alone, which is no different than what he is accusing that guy of.

That's like a serial killer telling a mass murderer that killing is wrong.

A quick edit to post this: http://www.bleedingcool.com/2011/05/04/j-s...nows-the-risks/

See that's how it's done. JSC knew the guy was a flipping it but opted to do it anyway, and CONTINUES to do sketches for fans at cons.

This post has been edited by Tim Tilley: May 4 2011, 02:15 PM

+Quote Post
MasonEasley
post May 4 2011, 02:41 PM
Post #31

Advanced Member

QUOTE (wwi3313 @ May 4 2011, 03:05 PM) *
There is NO SET market value on artwork. It's based solely on aesthetic consideration and what's set by the artist themselves -- that's why multi-year pieces can be sold at the same amount or even trumped by seemingly random splashes of paint against a canvas. This is CERTAINLY a matter of him being greedy -- what artist doesn't want the value in his work to grow? People flip objects for profit all the time -- doing something to make the work more valuable -- in this case, you get to circumvent having to have been at the show AND hoping to have been one of the few he selected to do work for. Its no different than an art dealer, who instead of holding on to the piece FOR the artist has already invested their own money to buy it outright. Hell -- that's how the comic book market works -- shops buy books at a set price and turn around sell it for what they choose.

If I'm selling you artwork for $300 that I KNOW I can sell on ebay for well over a grand, then yes I'm selling you something below market value.

Again, I don't see how this is him being greedy when he's just putting his artwork through ebay instead of doing convention sketches. The ebay auctions will lighten his work load, make him more money, and probably increase the worth of his product. Keep in mind, this is HIS product to do with as he wishes. Its like saying Steve Jobs doesn't have a right to sell IPads for $400 because we want IPads for $50.

--------------------

+Quote Post
MasonEasley
post May 4 2011, 02:47 PM
Post #32

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Tim Tilley @ May 4 2011, 03:53 PM) *
None of the money from the sales of AF #15 go to Stan or Ditko, because they already earned their income from it.
By that I mean, Steve was paid for his time doing the art, and Stan for his time as writer/editor, the comic itself was
purchased, once that happened, the new owner can do what they want with it, even set it on fire if they please.

As for for Adam doing as he pleases, sure... I agree with that. He has the right to do what he wants with the art,
I just don't agree with the fact that he truly cares about the fans, than he does making a "larger" profit off of the art.
I also think he is unfairly "crying" over spilled milk in this situation.

Just to quote him on Twitter: "THAT is why I'm so mad: these sketches should go to people who WANT them, not middle-men making an unearned buck along the way."
My response is that, if that was truly his opinion and that he really cares about the people who want them, that he wouldn't cease doing con sketches. He should just forget about it, move on and continue doing what he has been doing all along.

"It's not brainless, it's malicious. Paying $400 for a sketch WITH THE INTENT make a 300-500% profit drives me insane."

He is angry because someone paid him $400 for a sketch, one that he spent less than an hour on. At this exact time, that's more than I have made all year and for some that $400 is a month's worth of rent or food on their table... how can he be upset? He sold the art for $400 ... I think the guy who bought it (even if he was "flipping" it) had EVERY right to sell it. The guy paid for the art, it should be his to do as he pleases. Yes, it's sad that a single "other" fan missed out on this but Adam profited big time on that single sketch alone, which is no different than what he is accusing that guy of.

That's like a serial killer telling a mass murderer that killing is wrong.

A quick edit to post this: http://www.bleedingcool.com/2011/05/04/j-s...nows-the-risks/

See that's how it's done. JSC knew the guy was a flipping it but opted to do it anyway, and CONTINUES to do sketches for fans at cons.

I just wanted to add that another JSC sketch is going for a decent sum on ebay;

http://cgi.ebay.com/Storm-X-Men-J-SCOTT-CA...532779757905116

$500 for a head shot sketch is simply obscene.

To play Devil's advocate, JSC's sketches aren't nearly as intricate or involved as Hughes'.

--------------------

+Quote Post
MasonEasley
post May 4 2011, 02:54 PM
Post #33

Advanced Member

Allison's comments;

Adam and I agreed that it was time to stop the sketch list. After attending the Boston Comic Con this past weekend where Adam was only able to get 3 sketches done, we came home to learn that one of those sketches was within hours of it being drawn, put on eBay. The person that got the sketch told us elaborate lies about how much the piece meant to him, how long he’d been trying to get one, and all the usual, in order to make a profit off of Adam. The worst part for us is not that we won’t make the $3000+ that the sketch sells for on eBay (and I wish that was an exaggeration) but that some fan who really DID want a sketch, and there were many that had been on our list for years, was denied the chance to take one home so that this person could instead make a profit at their loss.

Is this the sole reason for our decision? No. I have been saying for a long time that this day was coming, and to be honest, I thought we’d have had to stop the list long before now. As it became harder and harder for Adam to get drawings done, and as the lists grew longer and longer, the stress increased. At every show, people want books signed, they want to have a personal few minutes talking with Adam, they want a photo with him, to shake his hand, to ask him what he thought of the latest comic book movie. On the professional end, editors and fellow artists want a few minutes, and show promoters want him to do panels and signings. All of these things don’t allow for very much time to draw. When Adam does finally sit down to draw, the list of requests is as much as 50 people long. When you look over that list and know that at best you might get 5 accomplished, the idea of disappointing so very many people can be really difficult to deal with.

Now take all of that, and add the possibility of one of those few drawings you do finish being collected and then re-sold by someone that doesn’t care how hard you work or how much other fans really wanted the opportunity to be the one that took it home, and its just enough stress to help you decide that it is really no long worth it.

Going forward: there will still be art. Adam and I are discussing how we can have an eBay sketch winner for each day of the show, and how we can limit it to one per person per event. I’m hoping that with the tremendous strain of trying to draw at each show alleviated, Adam will be able to consider sketching from home. These drawings could then fill a portfolio that we could bring to events that fans could shop from. And maybe we can finally go ahead and start listing auctions for overseas fans; something we’ve always wanted to be able to do, and time and stress have never really allowed for.

I know many of you are disappointed. Please try and understand, Adam has been doing this for more than 20 years, at a rate of 10 – 12 conventions a year. We wanted to make everyone happy, and there comes a point where that pressure is simply too much, and you have to admit to yourself that it is an impossible task. Even knowing that, we still tried our best for as long as we could. I want to thank everyone that has posted, emailed, and tweeted their support. It really means a great deal to us. I look forward to the rest of the convention year, and the opportunities it will now present us. Hopefully with this stress lifted from his shoulders, Adam can do more panels, tutorials, portfolio reviews and generally spend more time with you guys, his fans.

You all have my gratitude for being so cool about this;

After reading this, I completely agree. I've been stuck behind tables at shows drawing commissions for people, and it is very hurtful when you don't get it done. I couldn't imagine that feeling amplified by a factor that Hughes deals with. I'm glad he unloaded this burden upon himself. Maybe I'll actually get to shake his hand and get a picture with him. biggrin.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Tim Tilley
post May 4 2011, 03:49 PM
Post #34

Here's another solution. Take the list of names and charge an extra $6 for Shipping, and he can do them at home, and mail them out flat rate. It's not like he's going to lose out on earning his money, time or investment back. If your name isn't on the list, have it added, and you'll be in queue for another time.

"JSC's sketches aren't nearly as intricate or involved as Hughes." True, but maybe that's because he'd rather do quick ones to make sure everyone gets one, rather than a select special few?

+Quote Post
wwi3313
post May 4 2011, 04:02 PM
Post #35

Advanced Member

Member No.: 3,055

QUOTE (MasonEasley @ May 4 2011, 04:54 PM) *
Allison's comments;

After reading this, I completely agree. I've been stuck behind tables at shows drawing commissions for people, and it is very hurtful when you don't get it done. I couldn't imagine that feeling amplified by a factor that Hughes deals with. I'm glad he unloaded this burden upon himself. Maybe I'll actually get to shake his hand and get a picture with him. biggrin.gif

Are you serious, Mason?! No one forced Hughes to do shows - and since he's not doing pages on a monthly title, he can't take the time to do these commission sketches? If he's getting $400 a pop for them, that's a pretty kick ass living. This is namby-pamby crying, dude! Plain and simple! If he wanted to make sure that fans of his work could have them, then he'd do them -- FOR FREE! Chastising the guy who saw an opportunity and took it is total hypocrisy and BS!

The man is a shark! He gets $3K for his work, regularly -- do you cry foul for the folks who have busted that out when they could've gotten it for $400? Not at all! So how do you complain (or side with him) when someone simply turns the table?

--------------------

+Quote Post
SapphireGypsy
post May 4 2011, 04:22 PM
Post #36

Advanced Member

Member No.: 19,556

They're not Sketches! I wish I had the link to Spazzy's Cover Run sketch he did for her. It is what I consider a sketch. These are the same type of detail that you see on the Dodson's con "sketches". To me a sketch is something that takes you less than 10 minutes. When he says he's worked on it all day, that's WHY he's only doing 1 per day it's not a mere sketch in my eyes any more.

If it were about the money then he'd be charging what Stephane Roux does.... know what a commission from HIM goes for???? $3000!!!! That's not a typo... THREE THOUSAND DOLLARS, and he does mostly covers too.

I think that a lot of Allison's comments are HER feelings on it. I've met Adam, he's a very quite man. I can't see him being this openly angry about it, but Allison, from my talking to her, seems like the protective type. She's seen the effect this has had on him and stood up.

I guess I don't see how, as an artist, you can continually say "Well screw him. If they make more money off him selling it to them then his loss." I can't believe that you've honestly put yourself in their shoes. Someone buys something from you, which you've put a fair price on and then makes $300 off YOUR work and it happens over and over again you're not going to get mad???

I'm sorry, there's no convincing me that he's a jerk. I think the guy that sold the piece is a slime ball and I DO hope he chokes. (not to death) Because of HIM I may never get my affordable Hughes piece.

That said, I'm done wasting my "breath".

--------------------

+Quote Post
MasonEasley
post May 4 2011, 04:31 PM
Post #37

Advanced Member

QUOTE (wwi3313 @ May 4 2011, 06:02 PM) *
Are you serious, Mason?! No one forced Hughes to do shows - and since he's not doing pages on a monthly title, he can't take the time to do these commission sketches? If he's getting $400 a pop for them, that's a pretty kick ass living. This is namby-pamby crying, dude! Plain and simple! If he wanted to make sure that fans of his work could have them, then he'd do them -- FOR FREE! Chastising the guy who saw an opportunity and took it is total hypocrisy and BS!

The man is a shark! He gets $3K for his work, regularly -- do you cry foul for the folks who have busted that out when they could've gotten it for $400? Not at all! So how do you complain (or side with him) when someone simply turns the table?

Let me make sure I'm understanding you here; If I produce a sketch for someone, and get paid $50 for it, and then that guy flips it on ebay and makes $500 for it, how am *I* a shark if I decide to stop doing convention sketches and try to make as much money as possible through ebay?

--------------------

+Quote Post
MasonEasley
post May 4 2011, 04:37 PM
Post #38

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Tim Tilley @ May 4 2011, 05:49 PM) *
Here's another solution. Take the list of names and charge an extra $6 for Shipping, and he can do them at home, and mail them out flat rate. It's not like he's going to lose out on earning his money, time or investment back. If your name isn't on the list, have it added, and you'll be in queue for another time.

"JSC's sketches aren't nearly as intricate or involved as Hughes." True, but maybe that's because he'd rather do quick ones to make sure everyone gets one, rather than a select special few?

Frankly, JSC's sketches don't take nearly as much time as Hughes, so I can understand why he really doesn't care what someone does with it. If I could get someone to pay me $100 for a head shot that took me a few minutes to do, I wouldn't care what they did with it either. tongue.gif

BTW, I'm not knocking JSC at all. Man's a beast, and he's a big influence on my work.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Guest_cougar18_*
post May 4 2011, 05:16 PM
Post #39

Guests

QUOTE (Tim Tilley @ May 4 2011, 08:56 AM) *
It's not just artists who sometimes charge more than they should, writers do it as well. Bendis, and even Neil Gaiman. However, at least Gaiman donates to charities.

"As anyone who’s read the FAQ (which was written in 2002, thus the Clinton reference) or has been reading this blog for a while knows, if you want to hire me to come and talk somewhere, and people do, I’m expensive. Not just a bit pricy. Really expensive." That said, he also does free work as well, and that's why I like the guy so much, he actually treats his fans well. "In fact most of the talks and appearances I do are for free." Source: http://journal.neilgaiman.com/2010/05/poli...-in-teacup.html

I wish Adam the best of luck but I will never buy any of his work for a long as I live... at least not for anything over $50. Our economy is in a bad spot, we're not all millionaires, heck some people aren't even thousandaires, treating your fans with respect goes a very long way. Charging as much as he does is almost disrespectful in some ways, it's just flat out greed. I would understand if the proceeds or a portion thereof went to charities but they don't.

People are losing their homes, and living out on the streets... for what he charges for art, that could feed a family of four for a day. If I ever get to be in a similar situation, you better believe that I'll be more humble and give back to the fans that gave me my success in the first place.

Don't forget to stand in line for a Barry Kitson piece also, he gives art away for free. It is all personalised, and the payment is standing in line to wait. (I know quite few other artists will draw a piece for nothing, but if one is busy or cannot hang around, they will take the clients name, and simply ask the client to cover the shipping costs. Hey, that's not a problem to many fans, who will gladly cover shipping. Still a free sketch.) Kitson will often colour it, or do an inkwash on the sketch. All for nothing, the price is your time. And I have seen those pictures, like some guy uploaded a sketchbook he had, full of different comic book artist sketches that he collects, and while they are really cool as he flicks through them (video on youtube) when he gets to the Kitson piece, a WW2 styled Capt America, it is mindglowing. Pencilled, then inked, then inkwashed, all in a few hours, all in the same day, just so he could give the book back to the guy at the end of the day. Massive respect to the dude.

I've heard stories of Jim Lee being on his way out of a con, and a fan asks if he would give them a sketch. If there is only one person there, he often will. Again, massive respect.

If one disagrees with Hughes method, then don't ask for a sketch. If this keeps happening, and too many people do not wish to buy a sketch for a couple hundred bucks, then he may get the message. He could have gone with the simple answer, personalise it, but instead he took the harder (on the consumer) answer and upped his prices. In this time of a recession, other artists have taken the kinder, more approachable route. They are obviously grateful for the job. Plus they are faster, too.

AH does not understand the business relationship between artist and customer.

+Quote Post
Bill Nichols
post May 4 2011, 05:30 PM
Post #40

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,860

QUOTE (SapphireGypsy @ May 4 2011, 06:22 PM) *
They're not Sketches! I wish I had the link to Spazzy's Cover Run sketch he did for her. It is what I consider a sketch. These are the same type of detail that you see on the Dodson's con "sketches". To me a sketch is something that takes you less than 10 minutes. When he says he's worked on it all day, that's WHY he's only doing 1 per day it's not a mere sketch in my eyes any more.

If it were about the money then he'd be charging what Stephane Roux does.... know what a commission from HIM goes for???? $3000!!!! That's not a typo... THREE THOUSAND DOLLARS, and he does mostly covers too.

I think that a lot of Allison's comments are HER feelings on it. I've met Adam, he's a very quite man. I can't see him being this openly angry about it, but Allison, from my talking to her, seems like the protective type. She's seen the effect this has had on him and stood up.

I guess I don't see how, as an artist, you can continually say "Well screw him. If they make more money off him selling it to them then his loss." I can't believe that you've honestly put yourself in their shoes. Someone buys something from you, which you've put a fair price on and then makes $300 off YOUR work and it happens over and over again you're not going to get mad???

I'm sorry, there's no convincing me that he's a jerk. I think the guy that sold the piece is a slime ball and I DO hope he chokes. (not to death) Because of HIM I may never get my affordable Hughes piece.

That said, I'm done wasting my "breath".

Pretty good call on Adam and Allison. He's quiet and sometimes hard-to-read, but talented and I like him. I like Allison as well, and she is protective (and talented in her own right). And his sketches are usually more than just quick sketches, but more detailed pieces.

A big part of it was the guy weaseled his way into getting a sketch that was supposedly for him, which he then flipped. Is the idea of reselling original art wrong? No (usually). The method of getting the piece is what's suspect.

--------------------
Inker and writer of comics
Editor of Sketch Magazine

Comics Mentorfor encouragement and advice in your comics creating
Bill NIchols YouTube Channel
Arteest, my webcomic

+Quote Post

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 31st October 2014 - 11:18 PM