Reply to this topicStart new topic
Thor!!!!
doombug
post May 5 2011, 08:13 PM
Post #1

Eric Ratcliffe

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,668

I use lots of exclamation points because well it's a really good movie. My review will hopefully go live tomorrow at somepoint. I'll discuss it in the thread and hopefully we get everyone's opinions. cool.gif

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
SapphireGypsy
post May 5 2011, 09:07 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 19,556

I get to see it in a couple of hours... SOOOO excited. They'd better not let me down. biggrin.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
doombug
post May 5 2011, 09:49 PM
Post #3

Eric Ratcliffe

QUOTE (SapphireGypsy @ May 5 2011, 11:07 PM) *
I get to see it in a couple of hours... SOOOO excited. They'd better not let me down. biggrin.gif

Trust me, it wont. cool.gif

(Though you just like me, might want to punch Kat Denning's character in the face) tongue.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Eric Adams
post May 5 2011, 10:16 PM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Group: Admin
Member No.: 2,754

You've got the SPACE. VIKING. MADNESS.

--------------------

+Quote Post
SapphireGypsy
post May 6 2011, 03:50 PM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Member No.: 19,556

After a few minutes of her talking I wanted her to shut up. Of course she was really only in it for like 5 seconds so forget her.

That movie was the best. I want Sif's armor so much it hurts.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Guest_cougar18_*
post May 6 2011, 04:19 PM
Post #6

Guests

QUOTE (SapphireGypsy @ May 6 2011, 01:50 PM) *
After a few minutes of her talking I wanted her to shut up. Of course she was really only in it for like 5 seconds so forget her.

I keep hearing the same thing regarding Kat Dennings. She has big breasts, which seems to be her only saving grace, but she cannot act to save her life.

+Quote Post
G-Man
post May 6 2011, 08:03 PM
Post #7

Member No.: 2,660

Haven't seen the film yet...plan to see it tomorrow evening. But everything I'm hearing from the people who has seen it is GOOD!

Comic book movies are back!!!

--------------------
"Reality is only for those who lack imagination" don't know who first said that....but it works for me!

+Quote Post
doombug
post May 6 2011, 10:24 PM
Post #8

Eric Ratcliffe

QUOTE (SapphireGypsy @ May 6 2011, 05:50 PM) *

I'm not one to usually hit women and I can probably blame the script writer for this one but....meow meow? Really?!

REALLY?!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Spaced4SimonPegg
post May 7 2011, 06:47 AM
Post #9

Advanced Member

Member No.: 19,582

I saw it last night and really liked and I never read a Thor comic ohmy.gif I did like Loki!

--------------------

+Quote Post
G-Man
post May 7 2011, 10:47 PM
Post #10

I loved the film....think it ranks right up there if the first Iron Man film...maybe better.

I didn't mind Kat Dennings stuff...I thought the meow meow line was very funny...as did everybody else in the theatre...

My only complaint is no Balder the Brave.

Hopkins as Odin was dead on....great casting and acting on this film throughout....loved the fact they kept Loki's origin true.

Hope you stayed for the extra ending after the credits...only one thing to say about that...........

Red Skull.

--------------------
"Reality is only for those who lack imagination" don't know who first said that....but it works for me!

+Quote Post
G-Man
post May 8 2011, 06:39 AM
Post #11

It's a shame that Jack Kirby never got to see Asgard on the big screen.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Kenn Minter
post May 9 2011, 07:28 AM
Post #12

Advanced Member

Member No.: 2,334

QUOTE (G-Man @ May 8 2011, 08:39 AM) *
It's a shame that Jack Kirby never got to see Asgard on the big screen.

Ah, he would've just gotten cranky about it.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Greg G.
post May 9 2011, 01:16 PM
Post #13

Advanced Member

Member No.: 19,808

I guess the movie just wasn't for me. Everything looked really nice, except for the blue people that were allegedly frost giants, but seemed to neither live in a cold climate nor were they all that giant.

Anthony Hopkins didn't do it for me as Odin. He's a fine actor, but he's just not Odin who I always view as a physically intimidating old man with a booming voice.

Some of the plot inconsistencies that stuck out like a sore thumb for me:

How does S.H.I.E.L.D. not notice Thor having a discussion with someone who isn't in the room?

Why does Loki lose his mind when Thor detaches the Bifrost bridge? After all he knew the secret ways in and out of Asgard as previously noted in his exchange with Heimdall.

Things seem to just happen in Marvel movies these days because they have to. Not because of a well crafted story. I really hope Cap feels more fulfilling and not just getting the origin / explanation of who this guy is out of the way for the Avengers movie.

Again, it's not at all a *bad* movie by any stretch of the imagination. It just didn't do anything for me one way or the other.

It was nice to see Hawkeye in the flick, but it was a completely throw away cameo. Nobody in the theater was in on the Easter egg, and I'm sure when Avengers comes out audiences will just go "Oh hey it's that guy from Thor."

This post has been edited by Greg G.: May 9 2011, 01:18 PM

--------------------
You know, life is funny.
If you don't repeat the actions of your own success
You won't be successful
You gotta know your own formula, your own ingredients
What made you, YOU.

+Quote Post
Ron Fortier
post May 9 2011, 07:01 PM
Post #14

Member No.: 1,427

I really liked THOR a great deal for lots of reasons, in particular seeing the comic Asgard finally brought to the big screen. And I think it was a great idea to contrast its magnificent with the barren American southwest of New Mexico. Had they done the story in some giant metropolis, it would have somehow been a clash of might cities. Ergo we had that total separation from the fantasy realm to the grounded Earth reality. Worked like a charm.
I'm totally in love with Sif. Sorry, Black Widow. And the actors playing Thor & Loki were top-notch, both charismatic in their own way.
The film had enough bombastic action and great, quieter character moments all extremely well balanced with just right pinch of humor thrown in along the way.
This is easily one of the better comic book adaptations ever put on screen and I really hope to see it again.

+Quote Post
andrew-law
post May 10 2011, 05:24 AM
Post #15

Advanced Member

Member No.: 19,806

just got home from seeing it and..... WOW!

i just sat back and enjoyed the ride and now i have a 12 year old walking around the house imitating bellowing commands!!!

One of the main things i enjoyed about this film was where the story was set and that humans where part of it not the whole of it. i really love movies where earth isn't the centre of attention and a story is told elsewhere in the universe where imagination and creation can run a story so different than one set on earth that is usually grounded in some sort of reality.

and yeah... again... WOW! Bring on Captain America!

--------------------
instagram.com/andrewlawart
andrewlawart.deviantart.com
facebook.com/andrewlawart
facebook.com/andrewlawartpage
twitter.com/andrewlawart
plus.google.com/u/0/105920269584075459657

+Quote Post
tbrotomo
post May 15 2011, 11:18 AM
Post #16

Advanced Member

Member No.: 19,397

QUOTE (Ron Fortier @ May 9 2011, 06:01 PM) *
I really liked THOR a great deal for lots of reasons, in particular seeing the comic Asgard finally brought to the big screen. And I think it was a great idea to contrast its magnificent with the barren American southwest of New Mexico. Had they done the story in some giant metropolis, it would have somehow been a clash of might cities. Ergo we had that total separation from the fantasy realm to the grounded Earth reality. Worked like a charm.
I'm totally in love with Sif. Sorry, Black Widow. And the actors playing Thor & Loki were top-notch, both charismatic in their own way.
The film had enough bombastic action and great, quieter character moments all extremely well balanced with just right pinch of humor thrown in along the way.
This is easily one of the better comic book adaptations ever put on screen and I really hope to see it again.

I'm in agreement with you, Ron. I thought this movie was fabulous. They crammed a lot of story, and a lot of meaning into these 2 hours, and there was more than enough thrilling action and great visuals on top of it. The Cain and Abel dynamic between Thor and Loki was brilliant. Anthony Hopkins did great as Odin, I really couldn't have asked for more.

Thor 2 needs a Sif / Natalie Portman mud wrestling for Thor's love competition. It'd be an important story point. Oscar material there.

Really looking forward to Avengers now, beyond just captain america. Though I hope Cap is good too smile.gif

I loved the cameos. I didn't think Hawkeye was a throwaway at all. For any comic reader, we knew who he was. Just like the cosmic cube at the end. My wife was saying "huh? I don't get it." And I said "it's the frickin' cosmic cuuuuube!" That didn't do anything for her, but it was in there for me, and for all of us here.

What I'm surprised I haven't seen anyone mentioning anywhere - is JMS' cameo biggrin.gif He was brilliant.

--------------------

+Quote Post
doombug
post May 15 2011, 11:28 AM
Post #17

Eric Ratcliffe

QUOTE (tbrotomo @ May 15 2011, 01:18 PM) *
I'm in agreement with you, Ron. I thought this movie was fabulous. They crammed a lot of story, and a lot of meaning into these 2 hours, and there was more than enough thrilling action and great visuals on top of it. The Cain and Abel dynamic between Thor and Loki was brilliant. Anthony Hopkins did great as Odin, I really couldn't have asked for more.

Thor 2 needs a Sif / Natalie Portman mud wrestling for Thor's love competition. It'd be an important story point. Oscar material there.

Really looking forward to Avengers now, beyond just captain america. Though I hope Cap is good too smile.gif

I loved the cameos. I didn't think Hawkeye was a throwaway at all. For any comic reader, we knew who he was. Just like the cosmic cube at the end. My wife was saying "huh? I don't get it." And I said "it's the frickin' cosmic cuuuuube!" That didn't do anything for her, but it was in there for me, and for all of us here.

What I'm surprised I haven't seen anyone mentioning anywhere - is JMS' cameo biggrin.gif He was brilliant.

The Walt Simonson cameo at the end in the dining hall is much better.

--------------------

+Quote Post
tbrotomo
post May 16 2011, 09:03 AM
Post #18

Advanced Member

Member No.: 19,397

QUOTE (doombug @ May 15 2011, 10:28 AM) *
The Walt Simonson cameo at the end in the dining hall is much better.

That's really cool they paid homage to everyone they could from the comic world.

--------------------

+Quote Post
novaburst
post May 16 2011, 09:26 AM
Post #19

Advanced Member

Member No.: 19,875

I saw it yesterday and thought it was really good. I enjoyed it.
I really thought Sif might do something or say something to Portman's character when she kissed him, but nothing. I always thought Sif was the jealous type in the comics. Hmmm.....

--------------------

+Quote Post
doombug
post May 16 2011, 01:05 PM
Post #20

Eric Ratcliffe

QUOTE (novaburst @ May 16 2011, 11:26 AM) *
I saw it yesterday and thought it was really good. I enjoyed it.
I really thought Sif might do something or say something to Portman's character when she kissed him, but nothing. I always thought Sif was the jealous type in the comics. Hmmm.....

they were very subtle about it in the movie but sif definitely has feelings for thor.

--------------------

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd October 2014 - 06:14 AM