Reply to this topicStart new topic
What's your goal?
MasonEasley
post May 10 2011, 08:51 AM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 15,679

I always believe that you should always have a goal, or a finish line whenever you start something. I started this topic to see what everyone's eventual goal is in this industry. Are you trying to make it into a major publisher? Are you planning to stay independent and continue to self publish? Is your goal to be a freelancer and sell your art and/or writing to the highest bidder? Do you plan to be an eternal resident of artist alley and sell your stuff to your customers around the country?

Or is it a combination?

I'll go first;

My goals are a combination of all of that. My goal is to complete and self publish Psychic Soldier Kai, and maybe eventually do some spin-offs. When I was younger, I always wanted to draw X-Men, but given the current nature of the books, I just don't have that desire anymore. Obviously if Marvel wants me to do an X-title, I wouldn't turn it down. tongue.gif I also want to continue to do freelance artwork, since it has been very lucrative for me.

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Fred Lang
post May 10 2011, 09:12 AM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 19,590

Definitely studio work. It doesn't have to be with the Big Four, but I would like a good, long run with a company that just sends scripts for me to draw. I suppose it's because I'm older, but I have a real sense of comics = business, so I don't mind milking the most fun possible out of the monthly smash-ups that the studios put out.

Obviously, a great title with some unique approach would be fantastic, but for now, the prospect of drawing the characters I've loved since the early '80s overrides any misgivings about not working on some Eisner-Award Winning indy book. I have no problem drawing whatever's in the script for that day as dynamically as I can.

Sure, I have a few ideas for stuff to self-publish--but that'll be a lot easier (and better) after a few years with a studio! For now--just send me a script and keep paying me to have fun drawing. ;-)

--------------------
Owner and Creator at PixelFigs

+Quote Post
Carl Shinyama
post May 10 2011, 09:30 AM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 19,685

Creator-owned titles. I'd want them to be published under the Image label.

+Quote Post
Guest_cougar18_*
post May 10 2011, 09:51 AM
Post #4

Guests

QUOTE (Carl Shinyama @ May 10 2011, 08:30 AM) *
Creator-owned titles. I'd want them to be published under the Image label.

Penciller or concept artist. I have a dream of imagining a world that does not exist, and taking the reader there. As for working for the top four, well, I am not really bothered, as long I get paid and enjoy the work. I mean, they say if you enjoy your job, you'll never work a day in your life, and I wanna be like Dick Giordano, the guy who skips to his drawing board. (Not literally in my case, but I cannot speak for Giordano. Guy loved comics, so he could very well have skipped to the table.)

+Quote Post
novaburst
post May 10 2011, 10:18 AM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Member No.: 19,875

I just want to stay independent with our own small company. My goal is to keep churning out my own titles and characters because I enjoy that. If I can continue writing my own books, I'll be extremely happy.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ron Fortier
post May 10 2011, 04:03 PM
Post #6

Member No.: 1,427

Having achieved most of them in my 35 yr writing career, what remains is simple enough. To continue to write comics and adventure fiction that entertains people and always take every opportunity I can find to help young creators (both writers and artists) start their journeys any way I can.

+Quote Post
Cary
post May 10 2011, 07:45 PM
Post #7

Advanced Member

Member No.: 2,957

My goal is to keep it fun. When it stops being fun, it'll be work, and I'll be done with it. I have enough work as it is, I don't need any more.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Carl Shinyama
post May 11 2011, 12:26 AM
Post #8

Advanced Member

QUOTE (cougar18 @ May 10 2011, 05:51 AM) *
I have a dream of imagining a world that does not exist, and taking the reader there.

Me too, me too.

This post has been edited by Carl Shinyama: May 11 2011, 12:37 AM

+Quote Post
Johanne Light
post May 11 2011, 02:01 AM
Post #9

Advanced Member

Member No.: 19,749

I would very much like to continue to be published under an independent comic book publishers' banner. I like to write and create my own stories, and That's part of what I enjoy in the comic book format, being a one man movie production. If I can get my Comic Book Franchises into a Hollywood deal that would be swell.

--------------------
XD: Exit Demigods A world of words, warring races, ruled by Demi-gods.

Liek my Facebook Page, you know you want it!

+Quote Post
Liam Bradley
post May 11 2011, 04:52 AM
Post #10

Advanced Member

Member No.: 3,033

I quite like the idea of being a struggling freelance writer. Seriously it has an unpredictable charm to it that kind of excites me. Already achieved one of my goals by getting a publisher to run with one of my script submissions, so for me it's onward and upward. Get some more work for some different publishers then begin self publishing if the funds allow it. Working for the likes of Marvel, DC, Image etc is something that none of us would turn down. It would literally be a dream come true, however I don't see it being viable in terms of steady employment.

--------------------
http://liambradley.wordpress.com

+Quote Post
Guest_cougar18_*
post May 11 2011, 08:42 AM
Post #11

Guests

QUOTE (Liam Bradley @ May 11 2011, 02:52 AM) *
I quite like the idea of being a struggling freelance writer. Seriously it has an unpredictable charm to it that kind of excites me. Already achieved one of my goals by getting a publisher to run with one of my script submissions, so for me it's onward and upward. Get some more work for some different publishers then begin self publishing if the funds allow it. Working for the likes of Marvel, DC, Image etc is something that none of us would turn down. It would literally be a dream come true, however I don't see it being viable in terms of steady employment.

I quite like he control that Image allows the creator, but then, sadly, the sales are not as strong as the big two. Dark Horse is still a company I would like to work with also, especially their superheroes. But then again, would one have as much freedom.

I just do not know.

+Quote Post
Carl Shinyama
post May 11 2011, 09:40 AM
Post #12

Advanced Member

QUOTE (cougar18 @ May 11 2011, 04:42 AM) *
I quite like he control that Image allows the creator, but then, sadly, the sales are not as strong as the big two. Dark Horse is still a company I would like to work with also, especially their superheroes. But then again, would one have as much freedom.

I just do not know.

You wanna know what I believe? Image is going to surpass one of them, if not both of the big two. I don't think it will happen in the next decade, but all it takes is that ONE book over a period of time that can catapult them into a period of success where they can surpass one or both of the big two.

I have nothing to base this on except a hunch, though, so take that for what it's worth.

+Quote Post
Tyler James
post May 11 2011, 09:46 AM
Post #13

Advanced Member

Member No.: 3,029

QUOTE (Carl Shinyama @ May 11 2011, 11:40 AM) *
You wanna know what I believe? Image is going to surpass one of them, if not both of the big two. I don't think it will happen in the next decade, but all it takes is that ONE book over a period of time that can catapult them into a period of success where they can surpass one or both of the big two.

I have nothing to base this on except a hunch, though, so take that for what it's worth.

Carl, the reason Marvel and DC top the charts has to do with the sheer volume of work they produce. The number of titles. Image, as it's currently formulated, lacks the bandwidth or the desire to put out that much product.

Also, Image already has it's ONE book (The Walking Dead)...hard to imagine a property getting more coverage/mainstream attention than TWD.

Unless we see another mass exodus from the Big Two as we did in the initial Image boom, it's hard to see them ever really challenging either Marvel or DC in terms of total sales.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Guest_cougar18_*
post May 11 2011, 12:37 PM
Post #14

Guests

QUOTE (Tyler James @ May 11 2011, 07:46 AM) *
Carl, the reason Marvel and DC top the charts has to do with the sheer volume of work they produce. The number of titles. Image, as it's currently formulated, lacks the bandwidth or the desire to put out that much product.

Also, Image already has it's ONE book (The Walking Dead)...hard to imagine a property getting more coverage/mainstream attention than TWD.

Unless we see another mass exodus from the Big Two as we did in the initial Image boom, it's hard to see them ever really challenging either Marvel or DC in terms of total sales.

TWD only sells 30,000 copies a month. That's cancellation territory in DC and Marvel (Except Reginald Hudlin's Black Panther series, which languishes well below that. Maybe cause the fan base is so vocal, and racist too). Savage Dragon is lucky to crack the 10, 000 mark.
The industry is in a sad state, but I would love to be one of those people who sees it grow and grow.

+Quote Post
ChadStrohl
post May 11 2011, 01:58 PM
Post #15

Advanced Member

Member No.: 3,103

QUOTE (cougar18 @ May 11 2011, 02:37 PM) *
The industry is in a sad state, but I would love to be one of those people who sees it grow and grow.

This should be a universal secondary goal.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Carl Shinyama
post May 11 2011, 11:02 PM
Post #16

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Tyler James @ May 11 2011, 05:46 AM) *

You're an Image representative? You know what they desire for their company for the long-term, if it were to ever come to putting out that much product, at least compared to the Marvel and/or DC?

I'm not talking about the status quo as it stands right now; I'm talking about decades into the future.

Of course, right now, it's easy to say that it's hard to imagine Image challenging either one of the big two in terms of total sales, but from where I stand, when Image is generally maintaining sales with what I'd to think of as quality products (Invincible, Chew, Morning Glories, etc.), and in some cases, continue to see an increase in sales during an economic downslide, while Marvel's and DC's quality and sales have generally declined the last year or two, I can see how with one creative book that turns heads (and wallets), that it can catapult Image to a level over the long-term where they not only compete, but at one point or another, surpass the big two. Of course, the disclaimer that it is only my opinion has to be said.

+Quote Post
Fred Lang
post May 11 2011, 11:19 PM
Post #17

Advanced Member

Member No.: 19,590

This thread is about goals. If you want to talk sales, go make your own thread.

I want to hear what other people want. I think it's a GREAT topic, and it's getting muddied by a completely different discussion.

Shoo!

And the rest of you who haven't posted on the original topic--let's hear it!

--------------------
Owner and Creator at PixelFigs

+Quote Post
Greg G.
post May 11 2011, 11:37 PM
Post #18

Advanced Member

Member No.: 19,808

I'd like to tell the stories trapped in my head. Using words and pictures of course.

Spinning it into a career would be great, and as much as I'd want my ideas to be in the lime light; I'd gladly do work for hire once I'm at that skill level.

--------------------
You know, life is funny.
If you don't repeat the actions of your own success
You won't be successful
You gotta know your own formula, your own ingredients
What made you, YOU.

+Quote Post
Tyler James
post May 12 2011, 08:52 AM
Post #19

Advanced Member

Member No.: 3,029

Good point, Fred. Sorry to derail.

Near term, these were the goals I set for myself for this year:

• Write 220 pages of comic script.
  • Net $1,532 in profit from my comic business.
  • Triple my network of contacts in comics (creators, editors, publishers, columnists, readers.)

I'm a little off the pace on each of them, but they're still attainable with some work.

I'm a big fan of setting very focused, specific goals.

So, in the next three years, here are a few more.

• Create a book that sells 1000 copies.
  • Attend San Diego Comic Con.
  • Get invited to pitch story ideas to an editor for the Big Two.

Given where I'm at in this stage of my comics career, these goals all seem attainable. When I hit them, it'll be on to the next goals. I don't believe in "Ultimate Goals" necessarily. It's the journey, not the destination.

--------------------

+Quote Post
ChadStrohl
post May 12 2011, 03:02 PM
Post #20

Advanced Member

Member No.: 3,103

I guess I never did post my goal for this year.

Finish the novel I'm working on (edit it until my head explodes) and start looking for an agent.

I don't have any specific comic oriented goal other than keep drawing NCD and finish Hero.

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th November 2014 - 01:25 PM