IPB
MORE @ COMIC RELATED: NEWS COLUMNS REVIEWS PODCASTS BLOGS

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Rachel Rising, Terry Moore's newest venture - a HORROR comic!
Darkglobe
post May 16 2011, 09:35 AM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 19,892

So what say ye about the newest Terry Moore series that is supposed to start in July? I dig his art and horro comics generally, so I'm looking forward to this one!

http://www.terrymooreart.com/?p=1434

Rachel Beck wakes on damp, soft dirt. Sitting up, she sees a foot sticking up from the ground in front of her. She is sitting on somebody. She is sitting on a shallow grave. Rolling onto her knees she claws the dirt away. It is the body of a woman much like her. The clothes are like hers. The face… it’s her. Dead.

The cover is here:
http://www.terrymooreart.com/?p=1465

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Cary
post May 16 2011, 01:50 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 2,957

I'm pretty stoked about this book actually, and I generally hate horror comics. Terry has never let me down before, so I expect an excellent comic series, and it'll be ongoing this time too! woo!

--------------------

+Quote Post
tbrotomo
post May 16 2011, 03:02 PM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 19,397

QUOTE (Cary @ May 16 2011, 12:50 PM) *
I'm pretty stoked about this book actually, and I generally hate horror comics. Terry has never let me down before, so I expect an excellent comic series, and it'll be ongoing this time too! woo!

Likewise, likewise, likewise and finally likewise!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Russ Burlingame
post Jun 13 2011, 08:55 PM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Member No.: 19,775

When Terry appeared on Panel Discussions last month, we talked about this project and decided that we would launch a Gold Exchange-like column where he does interviews and commentary every month. Should be fun!

+Quote Post
tbrotomo
post Jun 14 2011, 03:18 PM
Post #5

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Russ Burlingame @ Jun 13 2011, 07:55 PM) *
When Terry appeared on Panel Discussions last month, we talked about this project and decided that we would launch a Gold Exchange-like column where he does interviews and commentary every month. Should be fun!

Hot damn that's good Comic Related content right there!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Russ Burlingame
post Jun 14 2011, 03:24 PM
Post #6

Advanced Member

QUOTE (tbrotomo @ Jun 14 2011, 05:18 PM) *
Hot damn that's good Comic Related content right there!

Yeah--we started to do one for ECHO but frankly my LCS was not equipped and I was unable to get copies in a reasonable timeframe. Problem has been fixed in time for RR #1, and after a long conversation about the challenges of promoting creator-owned work I asked Terry if he would be interested in one of these and he said yeah.

+Quote Post
Russ Burlingame
post Jul 13 2011, 09:12 PM
Post #7

Advanced Member

Anyone who's getting to SDCC, shoot me an e-mail. I'd be willing to pay for shipping to get an early copy of Rachel Rising out to me so that I can read, review and interview ASAP.

+Quote Post
tbrotomo
post Jul 14 2011, 09:33 AM
Post #8

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Russ Burlingame @ Jul 13 2011, 08:12 PM) *
Anyone who's getting to SDCC, shoot me an e-mail. I'd be willing to pay for shipping to get an early copy of Rachel Rising out to me so that I can read, review and interview ASAP.

I can snag you one, Russ.

--------------------

+Quote Post
CZKWorld
post Jul 14 2011, 04:00 PM
Post #9

Advanced Member

Member No.: 19,755

big fan of Terry Moore, SIP was never matched. looking forward to this new title.

This post has been edited by CZKWorld: Jul 14 2011, 04:00 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
tbrotomo
post Jul 23 2011, 06:03 PM
Post #10

Advanced Member

Terry gave me a signed copy of SiP, how cool is that? I've actually never read it before, but really enjoy Echo.

Russ, I picked up a second copy of Rachel Rising, which he sold out of at the con (fantastic news). PM me your address and I'll send it along.

Having read the first issue of Rachel Rising, I have to say his storytelling is as good as his art which is rare in dual-chore types. This issue can blow by really fast, but there's a TON of subtlety to it, so take your time with it when you get it. Won't spoil it since there's such a limited release at current.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gonzogoose
post Aug 9 2011, 06:15 AM
Post #11

Advanced Member

Member No.: 589

I really enjoyed the issue as well and am looking forward to the column, Russ.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Crazz
post Aug 23 2011, 09:27 AM
Post #12

Advanced Member

Member No.: 2,835

I just got to read th last night, and I am sure I'll get blasted here for this, but the first issue was completely disappointing.

Don't get me wrong, the art was as beautiful as ever, but that's it's only area of strength. While the story might be good and intriguing, there was far too little given, even for an initial offering. A dead girl, named Rachel, has risen from a shallow grave. Although she apparently has retained her mind and facilities enough to find her way home and visit some friends, she doesn't recall that she dug herself out of the shallow grave? Yeah, I know I'm nit picking here, but why did that have to take an entire issue when we're given many excessive panels of another "Katchoo" looking women standing over a drive creek bed, or of Rachel stumbling away from the grave?

On top of it all, it's a black and white comic. That's not an issue by itself, but when you combine that with a strung out story AND a $3.99 price tag, I'm a bit disappointed from the reading experience. Maybe I'm presuming too much, but for someone like Terry Moore, isn't he going to be able to have a large enough print run, especially at B&W, to bring the comic down to a more affordable price? There just wasn't enough there, in my opinion, to justify a $3.99 cover price. It needs more story for me to think of this as anything less than something to read as anything less than a trade, or borrowed from a friend or library.

--------------------
You can Email me or visit my blog, Desultory Views, which I do update when I get the chance.

+Quote Post
tbrotomo
post Aug 23 2011, 02:11 PM
Post #13

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Crazz @ Aug 23 2011, 08:27 AM) *
I just got to read th last night, and I am sure I'll get blasted here for this, but the first issue was completely disappointing.

Don't get me wrong, the art was as beautiful as ever, but that's it's only area of strength. While the story might be good and intriguing, there was far too little given, even for an initial offering. A dead girl, named Rachel, has risen from a shallow grave. Although she apparently has retained her mind and facilities enough to find her way home and visit some friends, she doesn't recall that she dug herself out of the shallow grave? Yeah, I know I'm nit picking here, but why did that have to take an entire issue when we're given many excessive panels of another "Katchoo" looking women standing over a drive creek bed, or of Rachel stumbling away from the grave?

On top of it all, it's a black and white comic. That's not an issue by itself, but when you combine that with a strung out story AND a $3.99 price tag, I'm a bit disappointed from the reading experience. Maybe I'm presuming too much, but for someone like Terry Moore, isn't he going to be able to have a large enough print run, especially at B&W, to bring the comic down to a more affordable price? There just wasn't enough there, in my opinion, to justify a $3.99 cover price. It needs more story for me to think of this as anything less than something to read as anything less than a trade, or borrowed from a friend or library.

It was definitely decompressed. The art was really pretty to look at and there was a lot of subtle points in those first few pages that I'm sure will come up later (if he writes it well) but the issue did feel very incomplete. Just as the character started to get interesting, it cut off at a weird spot. Unfortunately, I think it's too early to tell storywise, but that's not a great way to start off a #1 to hook people, I agree.

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 30th July 2014 - 11:11 AM