Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Champion City 2011 Updates
G-Man
post Jun 5 2011, 06:42 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,660

During the course of the next few days....and weeks to follow I will be posting updates about this year's Champion City Comic Con.

The first bit of news is....

There will be no Champion City Awards this year. This decision was made several weeks ago and a great deal of people were brought in on the discussion of a pretty good sized list of all the various reasons...about 12 reasons when all is said and done.

Some more people were informed...almost by accident as I haven't been very good at spreading the news up until now. Some creators just found out a few days ago....and there are a few just now learning of it as they read this.

And what it really comes down to is this.

The Champion City Awards was an experiment. One I convinced Scott to allow me to try after I was pissed off after watching last years Spike Awards.

The Champion City Awards was very successful in some regards and missed the mark on other levels and together Scott, Frank, and I thought it best to not have them this year.

Will they ever return? I can't answer that question at the moment. I'm not really sure what the answer is to be quite honest.

But in the mean time.....don't worry.....more news about the convention very soon and we will be replacing the Champion City Awards with some really cool ideas.

--------------------
"Reality is only for those who lack imagination" don't know who first said that....but it works for me!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Crazz
post Jun 5 2011, 11:07 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 2,835

QUOTE (G-Man @ Jun 5 2011, 07:42 PM) *
During the course of the next few days....and weeks to follow I will be posting updates about this year's Champion City Comic Con.

The first bit of news is....

There will be no Champion City Awards this year. This decision was made several weeks ago and a great deal of people were brought in on the discussion of a pretty good sized list of all the various reasons...about 12 reasons when all is said and done.

Some more people were informed...almost by accident as I haven't been very good at spreading the news up until now. Some creators just found out a few days ago....and there are a few just now learning of it as they read this.

And what it really comes down to is this.

The Champion City Awards was an experiment. One I convinced Scott to allow me to try after I was pissed off after watching last years Spike Awards.

The Champion City Awards was very successful in some regards and missed the mark on other levels and together Scott, Frank, and I thought it best to not have them this year.

Will they ever return? I can't answer that question at the moment. I'm not really sure what the answer is to be quite honest.

But in the mean time.....don't worry.....more news about the convention very soon and we will be replacing the Champion City Awards with some really cool ideas.

Maybe they will return and you just won't be a part of it? Did you ever think of that G-Man? You're not Invincible you know, we have that on tape! tongue.gif

--------------------
You can Email me or visit my blog, Desultory Views, which I do update when I get the chance.

+Quote Post
G-Man
post Jun 6 2011, 05:44 PM
Post #3

QUOTE (Crazz @ Jun 6 2011, 01:07 AM) *
Maybe they will return and you just won't be a part of it? Did you ever think of that G-Man? You're not Invincible you know, we have that on tape! tongue.gif

If the Champion City Awards do return in the future I already know I will not be a part of it.

You are quite right, I am not Invincible....I'm not even Mr. Fantastic.

--------------------
"Reality is only for those who lack imagination" don't know who first said that....but it works for me!

+Quote Post
ScottDMSimmons
post Jun 6 2011, 09:23 PM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Member No.: 2,810

Last I heard the tentative date was September 10th. Is this still the case or has it been moved?

Anyways, I'm hoping to have a table again.

Thanks,
Scott

--------------------

+Quote Post
G-Man
post Jun 7 2011, 03:12 AM
Post #5

Sept 10th is the date.

Sept. 9th-pre show activities-
Disc Golf
Dinner at Tumbleweed
Poker tournament

Sept 10th
Day of show
After show dinner at Golden Corral ?
After show party with live music from 9 Volt

Sept 11th
"Family" get together and cook out at Main Street Comics And Games (still in the planning stages)

Invitations to creators about tables will be going out this weekend.
Tables this year will be $30.00

This post has been edited by G-Man: Jun 7 2011, 03:13 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post
G-Man
post Jun 12 2011, 03:43 PM
Post #6

Hotel info for the show.

We have blocks of rooms reserved at two hotels.

The Country Inn...right behind Tumbleweed. The same hotel we used last year.

Rates:

10 suites. All non-smoking. $89.00
1 king-smoking-$79.00
2 queen smoking-$79.00

Check in after 3:00 p.m Friday Sept 9th
Check out 12:00 noon Sunday Sept 11th.

Please book rooms as soon as possible because these reservation opportunities are void after August 9th.

And let them know you will be attending the show when making reservations.

937-322-2200
www.countryinns.com/springfieldoh

There are also rooms available at Quality Inn....right off of I-70 and just ten minutes from Wittenberg Campus where the show is held.

20 rooms
non-smoking
$74.00

Check in 4:00 p.m Friday Sept 9th
Check out 12:00 noon Sunday Sept. 11th.

Reservations opportunities void after August 20th
937-323-8631
www.qualityinnsspoh.com

Make sure you mention you are attending the convention when making reservations.

More info to follow.

--------------------

+Quote Post
G-Man
post Jun 14 2011, 06:29 PM
Post #7

As of yesterday evening we have confirmed that writer (and editor) Marc Sumerak will be one of the featured guests at this year's Champion City Con in Springfield Ohio!!!!

We're very excited to share this news.....and here's some info about Marc....

Eisner and Harvey Award nominated writer Marc Sumerak has worked professionally in the comic book industry for over a decade as both a writer and an editor. During that time, Sumerak has helped chart the course for a number of today's most popular characters, including Iron Man, Thor, Captain America, The Avengers, The Hulk, Spider-Man, The Fantastic Four, The X-Men, and many more.

In 2005, Sumerak helmed the relaunch of Marvel's POWER PACK franchise. His work as co-writer on FRANKLIN RICHARDS: SON OF A GENIUS earned an Eisner Award nomination (2006) and two Harvey Award nominations (2006 & 2008). Some of Sumerak's other writing work includes runs on MARVEL ADVENTURES: SPIDER-MAN, MARVEL ADVENTURES: AVENGERS, WEAPON X: FIRST CLASS and SPIDER-MAN FAMILY.

Sumerak's newest project, ALL-GHOULS SCHOOL, will be released as an original graphic novel from IDW Publishing in August 2011.

For more information, visit www.sumerak.com.

This news comes on the heels that writer and artist Tim Seeley will be returning to Champion City this year as well.

Tim may well best known as the creator and writer of Hack/Slash....but has also penned the incredible "Loaded Bible" books (my personal favorite stuff from Tim) and he has recently written the Ant-Man and Wasp limited series for Marvel (now available in trade paperback)

Tim is also an incredible artist.....recently doing some really remarkable work in Inhumans: Realm Of Kings and Heroes For Hire....where he drew the best looking Spider-Man I have seen in years!

Tim had a great time at last year's show and he has a huge fan base in Springfield Ohio...Scott and I are very glad to have him back as a guest again this year.

Also confirmed.........

LISA MOORE
DUSTIN CARSON
TWILIGHT STAR STUDIOS

Nine Volt will once again be perfroming at the after party....anybody that caught their show last year know how good these guys are.

More news as always as it develops!!!

Oh yeah!!!!! We're looking for cover art for the program. Got any ides send them to Scott Riley ...I can get you the contact info. We do have free reign to use Cassie Hack on the cover if you like.

Plus....as mentioned in the recording of last night's recording of the soon to be re-launched RaynMan Power Hour The Champion City Awards will be replaced by a COMIC RELATED version of Jeopardy!

Trial run last night went great!!!!

You want to be considered for one of the three contestants that will play the game...just contact me! TEST YOUR COMIC TRIVIA KNOWLEDGE

The questions were created by the G-Man himself....the game will be hosted by Matt Smith and the judges will be me and that Frank Raynor guy!!!!

And speaking of Frank Raynor ....he will be hosting this year's Champion City Costume Contest!

Champion City
The Event Like No Other Returns!!!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ron Fortier
post Jun 14 2011, 07:34 PM
Post #8

Member No.: 1,427

I'm going to do my best to make this one as well. But right now too soon to call. We'll need to see what happens in next few months.

+Quote Post
doombug
post Jun 14 2011, 08:45 PM
Post #9

Eric Ratcliffe

Member No.: 2,668

Okay, I'm really going to attempt to make it. but no plane travel for me this year. well it's not looking likely.

--------------------

+Quote Post
G-Man
post Jul 11 2011, 07:07 PM
Post #10

CHAMPION CITY REMINDERS!!!!!!-

#1-if you are a creator who would like to be considered as a guest at this year's show....I need a definite YES put me on the list response from you by August 1st. Even if you have already mentioned that you were interested in a table....take the time to e-mail me to let me know...without out doubt that you want to be at the show if possible. Again creator tables this year are $30....six foot table. Creators are expected to stay the entire length of the show.

#2-If you will be sitting up a vendor table please contact Scott Riley, again by August 1st for the details involved with that. If you need his contact info just let me know.

#3-If you intend to donate items for the charity auction...please contact me....no later than August 15th , but we will still accept items day of show as well. Proceeds from the auction will once again be going to Josh Medors.

#4-If you will covering the convention in some type of media coverage, please contact Scott Riley...once again I can give you the contact info if you do not have it.

#5-Hotel reservation options at the Country Inn expire August 9th....no rooms will be available after that date. Hotel reservations expire for The Quality Inn August 20th.....make sure you book rooms well in advance. Other events will be occurring in Springfield that weekend...same as last year.....and rooms at both of these hotels will not be available after these dates.

ALSO-if you would like to be considered as a contestant option for Comic Book Jeopardy hosted by Matt Smith...now is the time to let me know!!!

Thank You.

--------------------

+Quote Post
G-Man
post Jul 24 2011, 11:27 AM
Post #11

Scott and I will be finalizing the guest list for this show within the next 24 hours but while we work on who will be attending the show this year I'll go ahead and let you know who unfortunately will not. These were people we were hoping to have back but things just did not work out.

Due to recent and unexpected events on the home front Lisa Moore will not be attending Champion City. She will be extremely missed. But she intends to return next year when she's REALLY FAMOUS. Brant Folwer was going to be spending time at Lisa's table as a guest and you will still be able to see Brant at both the Comic Related table and the Twilight Star table.

Likewise circumstances beyond his control will also keep "Captain" Ron Fortier from attending this year's show as well. I'm really going to miss having Ron there....but this does mean I should be able to win the disc golf tournament this year.

Scheduling conflicts will prevent Chad Lambert from attending this year....Chad was the first ever guest to appear at Main Street Comics And Games and our first featured guest at Champion City. We all hope to have Chad back next year as well.

Eric Adams will be at the show, but not as a creative artist. He's attending the show, "just to enjoy it from a fan point of view" and "to take some time off after doing so many shows this year already"

Another creator just enjoying the show from a fan point of view this year will be local writer Andy McGinn.... but Andy will be a featured guest contestant for Comic Book Jeopardy which will be hosted by Matt Smith....more on that later.

Finally artist Josh Medors will not be able to attend this year either. Josh's medical condition will more than likely not allow him to participate in any future convention appearances. Once again the charity auction this year at Champion City will donate all proceeds to Josh. Also proceeds from the Champion City Pre-Party at Crazy Joe's Jamacian Lounge featuring musical guest Wade Kiger Friday the 9th...as well as proceeds from the Champion City after party Saturday the 10th will be donated to Josh as well.

Musical guest for the after party to be announced soon.

--------------------

+Quote Post
G-Man
post Jul 26 2011, 07:24 PM
Post #12

After reviewing several great creators Scott and I have narrowed down the list to 18 guests.....trying our best to mix past favorites with new and upcoming talent....or a t least talent we have not had at the show before.

All guests have been notified via-e-mail and if there are a few who are no longer interested we have several back up options lined up.

I will post a complete guest list as soon as we get final confirmations from these creators.

IN THE MEANTIME..if you are planning to stay over night in Springfield Friday Sept 9th or Saturday Sept 10th to take advantage of all the activities this show has two offer...including disc golf tournaments, poker tournaments, dinners and two nights of live music...this is indeed Champion City....THE EVENT LIKE NO OTHER.....and you want to stay at the Country Inn....the hotel closest to all of these events YOU HAVE TO RESERVE YOUR ROOM BEFORE AUGUST 9th!!!!

http://www.countryinns.com/springfield-hot...-45504/ohspring

This post has been edited by G-Man: Jul 26 2011, 07:29 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
M_Neno
post Aug 1 2011, 07:47 AM
Post #13

Member No.: 19,899

QUOTE (G-Man @ Jul 11 2011, 07:07 PM) *
CHAMPION CITY REMINDERS!!!!!!-

#1-if you are a creator who would like to be considered as a guest at this year's show....I need a definite YES put me on the list response from you by August 1st. Even if you have already mentioned that you were interested in a table....take the time to e-mail me to let me know...without out doubt that you want to be at the show if possible. Again creator tables this year are $30....six foot table. Creators are expected to stay the entire length of the show.

#2-If you will be sitting up a vendor table please contact Scott Riley, again by August 1st for the details involved with that. If you need his contact info just let me know.

I'd like to purchase a table, which I may be sharing with Dayton artist Verl Bond. I just finished my third story for central Ohio rock'n'roll horror anthology comic Nix Comics Quarterly, published a new sick coloring book, designed a book cover on Amazon's top ten best-seller list and am sending the second issue of my own comic book series, The Signifiers, to print.

Let me know how to contact Scott Riley. Thanks!

+Quote Post
G-Man
post Aug 1 2011, 02:47 PM
Post #14

Sent you a personal message , Mike with what we might be able to do if there is a cancellation, but currently all creator tables have been sold out for a while.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ringtail Cafe
post Aug 2 2011, 06:33 PM
Post #15

CR Technical Admin

Group: Admin
Member No.: 2,740

Hope you guys have a good show smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
G-Man
post Aug 3 2011, 03:45 PM
Post #16

Thanks ! I hope we have a good show too.....been keeping us busy these last few days.

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd October 2014 - 10:28 AM