Reply to this topicStart new topic
Alphas
Gonzogoose
post Jul 11 2011, 06:51 PM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 589

Anyone gonna check this one out? It's a new superhero show on SyFy debuting tonight following Eureka and Warehouse 13.

Alphas is an action-packed thriller from writers Zak Penn (The Avengers, X-Men: The Last Stand) and Michael Karnow. In the series, five ordinary people are brought together to form one extraordinary team of Alphas -- people with the unique power to stretch the capabilities of the human mind giving them superhuman physical and mental abilities.

Operating within the Defense Criminal Investigation Service of the U.S. Department of Defense and led by preeminent neurologist and psychiatrist Dr. Lee Rosen (Emmy Award-winner and Academy Award-nominee David Strathairn), an expert in Alpha phenomena, the team investigates cases that point to others with Alpha abilities. As they work against the clock to solve this new brand of crime, they must prevent their own personality differences and disparate backgrounds from interfering with their ultimate mission to catch the enemy.

In addition to Academy Award nominee David Strathairn (Temple Grandin, Good Night, and Good Luck), the ensemble cast stars Malik Yoba (New York Undercover, Why Did I Get Married?), Warren Christie (October Road), Laura Mennell (Watchmen), Ryan Cartwright (Mad Men, Bones) and Azita Ghanizada (Castle).

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1183865/

http://www.syfy.com/alphas

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Ron Fortier
post Jul 11 2011, 08:20 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 1,427

Sy Fy is running twice tonight. I plan on catching the second showing. Just watch season premier of Warehouse 13 and it was...as usual great.

+Quote Post
Gordon_D
post Jul 12 2011, 06:50 AM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 2,467

I'm actually thinking of checking it out, although I'm not too thrilled with Zak Penn.

This comes after re-watching X3: The Last Stand for a previous column. There were way too many "really?" moments that were rather implausible and, well, awkward, so I'm hoping that Alphas will be a little better.

Of course, anything would be better than X3: The Last Stand. smile.gif

--------------------
Tipping Sacred Cows since 2004 at http://www.blogthispal.com
More stuff can be found at http://www.gordondymowski.com

+Quote Post
Ron Fortier
post Jul 12 2011, 09:40 AM
Post #4

The first show was fun. They gave us a really eclectic oddball collection of characters....and seeing how they bicker amongst themselves made me think of the early Avengers. Going to stay tuned for a couple weeks for sure and see where this goes.

+Quote Post
Gonzogoose
post Jul 12 2011, 04:56 PM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Watched it this afternoon and really enjoyed it. Unlike any other super powered show I can recall. Really unique ways the abilities are used in this show. They really did a good job at developing the characters and their relationships and the underlying plot. I'm in for a few weeks to see how it progresses, but all signs at this point are good in my opinion.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ron Fortier
post Jul 12 2011, 07:36 PM
Post #6

Its the quirky-ness I like here. These are interesting characters.

+Quote Post
Gonzogoose
post Jul 12 2011, 08:22 PM
Post #7

Advanced Member

I really like Gary, the electromagnetic character, and the actor that plays him is awesome at the portrayal. And I like the girl with the senses, that's a different way to play heightened senses, with all the others diminishing when the lead one is used.

--------------------

+Quote Post
LurkD
post Jul 19 2011, 05:32 PM
Post #8

Advanced Member

Member No.: 14,148

Watched the second episode. Man, this looks like the X-Men without the costumes/uniforms. The government plot, the paranoid bad guy, the kindly elder mentor, the rebel. It will be interesting to see if they can pull it off.

+Quote Post
Ron Fortier
post Jul 24 2011, 10:45 AM
Post #9

After just two episodes of SyFy's Alphas, I'm hooked. This is a realistic X-Men story told with some great characters and action throughout. It's what Heroes should have been.

This post has been edited by Gonzogoose: Jul 24 2011, 10:57 AM

+Quote Post
cougar18
post Jul 24 2011, 12:36 PM
Post #10

Advanced Member

Member No.: 19,981

QUOTE (Ron Fortier @ Jul 24 2011, 11:45 AM) *
After just two episodes of SyFy's Alphas, I'm hooked. This is a realistic X-Men story told with some great characters and action throughout. It's what Heroes should have been.

Here's hoping they do not burn out in the second season, or a producer decides to throw in the flavour of the month actor or actress just because they can, caring little for how they screw up the show. I am referring to Heroes second season, and the second season of Lost, when both shows just completely lost the plot as to what made their shows good, and lost their viewership from then onwards.
Takes some real talent on the part of the Heroes creators to get fired from the show they created.

+Quote Post
Gordon_D
post Jul 24 2011, 12:41 PM
Post #11

Advanced Member

Member No.: 2,467

I actually don't think that will happen in the immediate future - thankfully, looking at the production credits, there are a couple of people (most notably Ira Steven Behr) who have a pedigree in strong science-fiction television, and who I think will avoid the obvious traps and pitfalls.

Looking forward to episode three.....

--------------------
Tipping Sacred Cows since 2004 at http://www.blogthispal.com
More stuff can be found at http://www.gordondymowski.com

+Quote Post
Gonzogoose
post Jul 24 2011, 01:01 PM
Post #12

Advanced Member

Summer Glau will make a guest appearance: http://comicrelated.com/films.php#glau-on-alphas

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ron Fortier
post Jul 24 2011, 01:08 PM
Post #13

Right, but only an appearance. I think Gordon addressed Cougar's concern perfectly, and elaborated more on that on our ZONE 4 recording show last night.
The folks helming this show have a strong sci-fi pedigree. Let's hope they just keep going down this particular track...as it is a winner.

+Quote Post
Gonzogoose
post Jul 24 2011, 01:12 PM
Post #14

Advanced Member

Oh, I was just posting a link to the story, I wasn't confirming Cougar's fears in the least bit. I welcome Summer Glau on ANY show... just don't make her a regular cast member because then it will get canceled. lol

--------------------

+Quote Post
cougar18
post Jul 24 2011, 01:30 PM
Post #15

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Gonzogoose @ Jul 24 2011, 02:12 PM) *
Oh, I was just posting a link to the story, I wasn't confirming Cougar's fears in the least bit. I welcome Summer Glau on ANY show... just don't make her a regular cast member because then it will get canceled. lol

Yeah, poor Summer Glau. She must have crossed paths with a black cat, broken a mirror, stepped in a fairy ring, etc etc because she is curse with cancelled shows at the moment. The only actor who seems to do worse than her is Taylor Labine. Guy has 5 or 6 cancelled shows, the most recent being Mad Love.

When Summer makes a cameo, the show seems to survive (Big Bang Theory). When she gets a role, it gets axed. I put it down to her playing the same character, again, and again, and again. She only has one facial expression when acting, but her personality comes across as more animated, especially that esquire video she did recently.

Where she frolicks in a bikini.

Summer Glau

You guys can thank me later. smile.gif

+Quote Post
LurkD
post Jul 28 2011, 11:28 PM
Post #16

Advanced Member

Member No.: 14,148

Thread Drift Alert!

I saw Summer Glau at the 2010 Denver Star Trek Convention. She was there to talk about her roles on the various shows she had been on up to that point. During her talk some idiot thought it would be cute to pull the fire alarm. We heard it, and this voice comes from the control booth in the back saying, "Yes that is the fire alarm."

Summer does the deer-in-the-headlights look very well, and is to-die-for cute when she does.

+Quote Post
cougar18
post Jul 29 2011, 12:56 PM
Post #17

Advanced Member

QUOTE (LurkD @ Jul 29 2011, 12:28 AM) *
Thread Drift Alert!

I saw Summer Glau at the 2010 Denver Star Trek Convention. She was there to talk about her roles on the various shows she had been on up to that point. During her talk some idiot thought it would be cute to pull the fire alarm. We heard it, and this voice comes from the control booth in the back saying, "Yes that is the fire alarm."

Summer does the deer-in-the-headlights look very well, and is to-die-for cute when she does.

Seems that is all she does. I mean, she may be a very nice person, no doubting that, but she should really start learning to act.

+Quote Post
doombug
post Jul 29 2011, 11:18 PM
Post #18

Eric Ratcliffe

Member No.: 2,668

QUOTE (cougar18 @ Jul 29 2011, 02:56 PM) *
Seems that is all she does. I mean, she may be a very nice person, no doubting that, but she should really start learning to act.

So umm you obviously didn't watch firefly or serenity? wink.gif Because that girl can act when given a lot to play with. Especially on that show and movie.

Since then, she hasn't really been given a role to 100 percent sink her teeth into as an actress again. I mean playing a robot killing machine doesn't exactly have to show range, nor does playing yourself.

Its one reason I really can't wait to see knights of badassdome, she seems to be one of the more fun members of that cast from the trailer.

--------------------

+Quote Post
cougar18
post Jul 30 2011, 11:24 AM
Post #19

Advanced Member

QUOTE (doombug @ Jul 29 2011, 11:18 PM) *
So umm you obviously didn't watch firefly or serenity? wink.gif Because that girl can act when given a lot to play with. Especially on that show and movie.

Since then, she hasn't really been given a role to 100 percent sink her teeth into as an actress again. I mean playing a robot killing machine doesn't exactly have to show range, nor does playing yourself.

Its one reason I really can't wait to see knights of badassdome, she seems to be one of the more fun members of that cast from the trailer.

I saw Serenity, and it was Deer in headlights the entire time.

+Quote Post
doombug
post Jul 30 2011, 01:19 PM
Post #20

Eric Ratcliffe

Member No.: 2,668

QUOTE (cougar18 @ Jul 30 2011, 01:24 PM) *
I saw Serenity, and it was Deer in headlights the entire time.

I disagree, by a lot.

--------------------

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2014 - 11:40 AM