2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Goodbye Harry Potter
Ron Fortier
post Jul 14 2011, 07:07 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,427

Sat down and re-watched HARRY POTTER & THE DEATHLY HALLOWS part one yesterday in preparation for this weekend's release of the final chapter in the saga of the boy wizard. As much as I'm anxious to go and see it, knowing it is going to be a wall-to-wall wizard battle royal. it is still going to be bitter sweet to have to say goodbye to Harry, Ron & Hermoine. We did see these three amigos grow up before our eyes and the cinematic journey they took all of us on was just awesome.
So thanks J.K.Rowling, cast and crew of this remarkable achievement. Thank God for DVDs, as we will be re-watching them over and over again.

This post has been edited by Ron Fortier: Jul 14 2011, 07:38 AM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
SapphireGypsy
post Jul 15 2011, 09:15 AM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 19,556

I just rewatched them all over the past week or so while I've been moving.... it's going to be hard to let it sink in that this is it. No more books, so she's said. No more movies.

If it weren't for DVD I'm not sure I'd survive it.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gonzogoose
post Jul 16 2011, 02:34 PM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 589

Record setting 92.1 million first day.

I have never seen a Harry Potter movie in the theaters, ever. I have all the DVDs, have watched them countless times, but never seen one on the big screen. I hope to see this one that way though.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ron Fortier
post Jul 16 2011, 03:40 PM
Post #4

Wowser, that number is amazing. As usually, I'll be seeing a Monday morning showing, with hopefully a half empty theater. Ha. Can't wait.

+Quote Post
Carl Shinyama
post Jul 17 2011, 05:12 PM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Member No.: 19,685

Went and saw it this morning. Hit every single sweet spot of mine. I don't usually go back and see a movie in the theaters twice, but I'm willing to make an exception for it, like I did for the first part of HP7.

+Quote Post
Ron Fortier
post Jul 17 2011, 07:09 PM
Post #6

Thanks for that, Carl. I'm seeing it with my wife at a morning showing tomorrow. Can't wait.

+Quote Post
Lisa Moore
post Jul 17 2011, 08:47 PM
Post #7

Advanced Member

Member No.: 3,037

Saw it today as well. Really enjoyed it. A few tear jerker moments even though I knew what was going to happen. Very well done and a great way to cap off the series.

--------------------
-- Lisa
www.hueville.net

E-mail: lisa@just-flats.net

+Quote Post
Ron Fortier
post Jul 18 2011, 02:23 PM
Post #8

Saw it this morning and I loved it. Easily the best book-to-screen honest adaption of the entire series. Every nuance, scene, etc. was all there and the action was non-stop as I knew it would be. To include that truly awesome ending. Thanks to Warner Bros, all the great cast, production people and of course J.K. Rowling for this classic adventure journey we've all been on.
Take my word for it, Harry Potter will be read by future generations forever.

+Quote Post
Carl Shinyama
post Jul 18 2011, 10:27 PM
Post #9

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Lisa Moore @ Jul 17 2011, 04:47 PM) *
A few tear jerker moments even though I knew what was going to happen.

I know, right? I cried at certain parts even though I knew it was gonna happen

+Quote Post
Carl Shinyama
post Jul 18 2011, 10:28 PM
Post #10

Advanced Member

Glad you enjoyed it, Ron! And I agree, future generations will be reading Harry Potter.

+Quote Post
Ron Fortier
post Jul 19 2011, 09:12 AM
Post #11

No spoilers here, I loved how they kept practically all the scenes from the book, to include that awesome finale...intact. I was applauding loudly when the that final image faded to black.

+Quote Post
Dianthrax
post Jul 19 2011, 09:14 AM
Post #12

Member No.: 19,828

I'm going to lose so much of the street cred that goes along with my nickname but I'm sure people were bound to find out how hugely dorky I am at some point anyway, so:

I've been in mourning since Thursday night/Friday morning at midnight when they started showing the last part of the last movie adaptation of the last book in the Harry Potter series.

I sent my friend a text that was kinda along the lines of "It's over!! It's over!! Everything is over!! Oh my God- this is the end of an era!!" and so on. She sent me back something that basically said all good things must come to an end.
I was like ...f$%k you!

F&%k you and your need for good things to end!!
Why do good things have to end when shitty things seem to go on and on and on and never go away?!? mad.gif

I sent that, just without the "f&%k you" part.

I've been watching all the dvds and thinking about all the random HP stuff that I have (action figure pair of Snape dueling Voldemort, collectible "Through The Trapdoor" statue, my Gryffindor scarf, the sterling silver/24k gold set of the 4 Hogwarts Houses bookmarks... yeah, um once my family finds something I'm "into" they really run with it come X-mas and b-days, whether I want them to or not, which is why I now collect unusual socks against my will.)

I haven't seen pt. 2 yet but when I do it'll be with my dad.
It's been a tradition since Prisoner of Azkaban that we always see the HP movies together and we don't get to see each other very often so it's sort of a big deal to me- something only we do, just the two of us.
And now that'll be over too. sad.gif

I've read the books so many times ( ugh, the hardbacks are such a pain in the ass to read in the bathtub; they're so damn heavy!)

And I've said several times that the one good thing that came out of losing my memory was forgetting HP book 7 and being able to read it again for the (2nd) first time! biggrin.gif

So there. I've come out of the cabinet under the stairs as a huge Harry Potter geek & shared some of my grief:
I'm really glad this thread went up & grateful to everyone who contributed- it made me feel better, so thank you smile.gif

+Quote Post
SapphireGypsy
post Jul 19 2011, 02:25 PM
Post #13

Advanced Member

I'm just really excited to have my sewing room back now. I'm doing a wall in all Harry Potter. biggrin.gif

I've seen it twice already. I had to see it Friday because I couldn't restrain myself and then Andy wanted to see it again Saturday so he really had to twist my arm *sarcasm*

Andy won't read the books but he'll go with me to he movies. He's gonna HATE it when I turn our children into Potterheads. biggrin.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ron Fortier
post Jul 19 2011, 03:30 PM
Post #14

Folks, you have NO idea how many people from all walks of life were Harry Potter fanatics. This morning, over on FB, I got a message from a retired Air Force Colonel, a man who devoted nearly 30 years as a pilot, leader, squad commander, etc.etc., traveled around the globe many times, married, raised a family, has a son and daughter both in college...and he writes to tell me at the end of this movie he was applauding loudly while at the same time brushing the tears away from his eyes. Oh yeah,
God bless you, J.K. Rowling from turning all us muggles into magic beings forever.

+Quote Post
LurkD
post Jul 19 2011, 05:30 PM
Post #15

Advanced Member

Member No.: 14,148

I don't think 'were' is the correct term, at least not so long as there is Pottermania to be had. If the books are out, if the films are available, we ARE Potterheads, and that won't end until we're dead.

+Quote Post
SapphireGypsy
post Jul 19 2011, 07:02 PM
Post #16

Advanced Member

I still find it funny that Andy wont read them but his dad, a nearing 60 year old man, who spent his life in the theater and later in life surrounded himself with some of the greatest novels ever written. He was working his way through the Harvard Classics, supposedly if you read them you'll have the equivalent knowledge of a Harvard degree in literature. Andy's dad called him before the last book came out and asked him if he was going to bring him the next book tomorrow.

I loved Harry Potter as much as I did... maybe not as openly but he loved the books as much as anyone I've ever met.

The vast range of people that were crying at the end, with the Snape memory, you could hear the audience sniffing. It's an amazing thing she's created. I'm sad there are no more books, I would love to hear some stories of James, Lupin, Sirius, and Snape when they were younger.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Carl Shinyama
post Jul 19 2011, 08:27 PM
Post #17

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Dianthrax @ Jul 19 2011, 05:14 AM) *
( ugh, the hardbacks are such a pain in the ass to read in the bathtub; they're so damn heavy!)

You too, huh? Heh, sometimes when I get on a roll when I'm reading the books, and I need to shower, but I don't want to stop reading, I'll start a bath and just keep on trucking.

+Quote Post
doombug
post Jul 19 2011, 09:50 PM
Post #18

Eric Ratcliffe

Member No.: 2,668

Relating to the actual character of Snape, I really didn't grow to love him until those last 3 books when JK really gave us all the insights of the characters past.

Movie wish it's Alan Rickman...it's impossible not to love that man so the Snape stuff carries 10 times more weight. And I would love to see a "hogwarts: first class" book. tongue.gif

Me and Saph already had that discussion though via facebook about a month back. lol

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ron Fortier
post Jul 20 2011, 08:15 AM
Post #19

I can fondly remember the discussions with my daughter and granddaughter over Snape's true colors and as the series wound to the end, I was so vindicated to see I'd been right all along. His ever loyal love for Lily is what shines throughout this last cinematic installment and don't forget the genius of how Harry is once again saved a SECOND time by as yet another mother, Malfoy's. Rowling's is a master storyteller.

+Quote Post
Gordon_D
post Jul 20 2011, 08:36 AM
Post #20

Advanced Member

Member No.: 2,467

I'm definitely going to have to carve out a day next week for movie viewing - between HARRY POTTER and CAPTAIN AMERICA, I want to catch both.

(I'm not a fan of the Potter books, but I think the movies spoiled me. smile.gif

--------------------
Tipping Sacred Cows since 2004 at http://www.blogthispal.com
More stuff can be found at http://www.gordondymowski.com

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th November 2014 - 02:36 PM