New Ultimate Spider-man revealed, Miles Morales is the new Spidey
cougar18
post Aug 3 2011, 04:37 PM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 19,981

http://www.ontheredcarpet.com/New-Spider-M...c-Photo/8287317

Apparently he shares the same origins as Peter.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
doombug
post Aug 3 2011, 08:48 PM
Post #2

Eric Ratcliffe

Member No.: 2,668

How? I man obviously they must share the spider bite thing but not much else?

--------------------

+Quote Post
Russ Burlingame
post Aug 3 2011, 10:24 PM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 19,775

...Kyle Rayner is Hispanic?

+Quote Post
Gonzogoose
post Aug 4 2011, 04:20 AM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Member No.: 589

QUOTE (Russ Burlingame @ Aug 4 2011, 12:24 AM) *
...Kyle Rayner is Hispanic?

His father is Mexican-American, so yeah. Father's real name is Gabriel Vasquez, at least if you believe Wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kyle_Rayner

Kyle Rayner's father is a Mexican-American CIA agent named Gabriel Vasquez (Green Lantern vol. 2, #150), who worked under various codenames including Aaron Rayner, and currently the identity of Raymond Hauser. When Gabriel's deep-cover work threatened his wife and infant son, he was forced to sever all traceable ties with them, and even conspired with Maura Rayner in fabricating a domestic violence incident to explain their abrupt separation. To Gabriel's regret, the resulting absence from his family's life and lack of his financial support forced Kyle and his mother into a rather modest lifestyle.

--------------------

+Quote Post
ChadStrohl
post Aug 4 2011, 11:53 AM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Member No.: 3,103

The politically correct part of my brain is at war with the traditionalist side right about now. So much so that I can't form much of an opinion on this one that won't come off as... well... all wrong.

I just have one question that maybe someone can answer for me, since I can't seem to answer it for myself?

Is it really "diversity" when they shoe horn that diversity into an established character rather than building a new and interesting character from the roots and allowing the culture to grow with that character... or is it just pandering?

Now, that being asked, I'll keep an open mind with this, but I'll wager Marvel's "open mind" will last as long as the only color they're really interested shines through, and that's GREEN.

But mark this as my crux point with Marvel comics. Now that they have cast this die, they need to stick with it no matter what, if they're really as socially conscious as they make themselves out to be, and not just playing some little game with our hearts and minds. If Peter Parker ever becomes Ultimate Spider-Man again, then they've showed their hand and I'll show them mine as I walk away forever.

--------------------

+Quote Post
tbrotomo
post Aug 4 2011, 01:18 PM
Post #6

Advanced Member

Member No.: 19,397

So...I read Ultimate Fallout #4.

By itself, I think I wouldn't think anything of it.

With the fact that this spidey thing is so hyped it's killed any other hype machine from comics I've seen thus far (no idea why the media picked up an alternate universe spider-man story to run with so hard), it was a let down. The story with the new Spider-Man was only 6 or 8 pages, I forget. The rest after that felt like filler and were by different creative teams. If the goal was to create hype, get new readers interested in a new, diverse, Spider-Man... a new reader would pick this book up, go "What the hell?" and never read comics again. The short term thinking of Marvel/DC has gone to way too much of an extreme now.

--------------------

+Quote Post
cougar18
post Aug 4 2011, 01:22 PM
Post #7

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Gonzogoose @ Aug 4 2011, 04:20 AM) *
His father is Mexican-American, so yeah. Father's real name is Gabriel Vasquez, at least if you believe Wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kyle_Rayner

Kyle Rayner's father is a Mexican-American CIA agent named Gabriel Vasquez (Green Lantern vol. 2, #150), who worked under various codenames including Aaron Rayner, and currently the identity of Raymond Hauser. When Gabriel's deep-cover work threatened his wife and infant son, he was forced to sever all traceable ties with them, and even conspired with Maura Rayner in fabricating a domestic violence incident to explain their abrupt separation. To Gabriel's regret, the resulting absence from his family's life and lack of his financial support forced Kyle and his mother into a rather modest lifestyle.

Kyle is Mexican/ Irish American. His mum is Irish, and encouraged him to use Gaelige or the Irish language for those who don't know.

+Quote Post
cougar18
post Aug 4 2011, 01:24 PM
Post #8

Advanced Member

QUOTE (doombug @ Aug 3 2011, 08:48 PM) *
How? I man obviously they must share the spider bite thing but not much else?

Both are geeks, both, somehow, came up with a webspinning device.
Both choose to fight for good.

A similar origin would be the better way of saying it, rather than the same origin.

+Quote Post
cougar18
post Aug 4 2011, 01:31 PM
Post #9

Advanced Member

QUOTE (ChadStrohl @ Aug 4 2011, 11:53 AM) *
The politically correct part of my brain is at war with the traditionalist side right about now. So much so that I can't form much of an opinion on this one that won't come off as... well... all wrong.

I just have one question that maybe someone can answer for me, since I can't seem to answer it for myself?

Is it really "diversity" when they shoe horn that diversity into an established character rather than building a new and interesting character from the roots and allowing the culture to grow with that character... or is it just pandering?

Now, that being asked, I'll keep an open mind with this, but I'll wager Marvel's "open mind" will last as long as the only color they're really interested shines through, and that's GREEN.

But mark this as my crux point with Marvel comics. Now that they have cast this die, they need to stick with it no matter what, if they're really as socially conscious as they make themselves out to be, and not just playing some little game with our hearts and minds. If Peter Parker ever becomes Ultimate Spider-Man again, then they've showed their hand and I'll show them mine as I walk away forever.

Apparently the move to have a black/hispanic Spidey was due to Donald Glover's campaign to play Peter in the current Spidey reboot. So Bendis decided to make the new Spider-man like Donald. I imagine that if Peter comes back from the dead, this new kid will become the Scarlet Spider, similar to the whole Clone saga from the 90's. I agree, they have made a change, and they should stick to it. But whether they did this as a legitimate character, rather than just hype, is something we cannot know until the future. I hope it is the former, and that they go on to create a legitimate use for the character. Because to pull such a stunt, especially with the sensitive area as race, could create a terrible backlash among fans who may legitimately like this new character, and who may also share the same background as Miles Morales.

+Quote Post
ChadStrohl
post Aug 4 2011, 05:01 PM
Post #10

Advanced Member

QUOTE (cougar18 @ Aug 4 2011, 03:31 PM) *
Apparently the move to have a black/hispanic Spidey was due to Donald Glover's campaign to play Peter in the current Spidey reboot. So Bendis decided to make the new Spider-man like Donald. I imagine that if Peter comes back from the dead, this new kid will become the Scarlet Spider, similar to the whole Clone saga from the 90's. I agree, they have made a change, and they should stick to it. But whether they did this as a legitimate character, rather than just hype, is something we cannot know until the future. I hope it is the former, and that they go on to create a legitimate use for the character. Because to pull such a stunt, especially with the sensitive area as race, could create a terrible backlash among fans who may legitimately like this new character, and who may also share the same background as Miles Morales.

I agree about the unknown factor of hype versus legitimacy and I hope Marvel takes a huge hit if this is a publicity stunt, because flying this up the "oh, look how socially relevant and cutting edge we are" flagpole is a mockery toward everything they claim they are standing for with this change in the first place.

They are selling this new character as Spider-Man... not the Scarlet Spider. You don't get people to like Sprite by sticking it in a Coke can and yelling "Gotcha! Now you like Sprite, huh!" Okay... maybe that might work rolleyes.gif but I think you get what I'm trying to say - it's disingenious and it's manipulative.

Even the possibility that this could be "similar to the whole Clone Saga" is another can of tired worms that haven't just been opened... they've been spilled and trampled on in both Marvel Universes. New stories instead of the old ones with a sometimesclever/oftentimesnot twist would be an awesome thing for Marvel to hype, but the problem there is, to be "new", they go sticking Aunt May in Iron Man's armor or turn Venom into a Deadpool wannabe, who is in turn barely anything more than a second rate mush-up of late 80's Spider-Man and Wolverine with a hint of Madcap and not quite the same Deadpool I remember back in the debut of X-Force. Now I'm usually in defense of the writers who have to come up with one story after another and the endless stream of tales spanning fifty years now. That has got to be hard to not accidentally walk down the same path every now and then. But the key word there is accidentally. Similar themes, I'm fine with. Outright canabalism and regurgitation is a bit lazy, and it's kind of an insult to lifelong fans.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gonzogoose
post Aug 4 2011, 06:12 PM
Post #11

Advanced Member

Member No.: 589

I think they already did the clone saga in Ultimate Spider-Man, so I don't see this as that.

--------------------

+Quote Post
ChadStrohl
post Aug 4 2011, 08:09 PM
Post #12

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Gonzogoose @ Aug 4 2011, 08:12 PM) *
I think they already did the clone saga in Ultimate Spider-Man, so I don't see this as that.

That's right. They did, didn't they?

--------------------

+Quote Post
cougar18
post Aug 5 2011, 05:20 PM
Post #13

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Gonzogoose @ Aug 4 2011, 06:12 PM) *

Yes, they did, and they made that universe's Spider-woman a Peter Clone. I dunno if she chose the moniker Jennifer Carpenter or not, never read it.

But I do not believe they used The Scarlet Spider costume, so what I am saying is that with this, they could always use the Scarlet Spider identity. On the other hand, they could use the other identities Spidey used for a time when Spider-man could no longer use the costume as a hit had been taken out on him. Ricochet, Prodigy, the Hornet, or even Cardiac. Or the Prowler.

The character may be new, but I have a feeling he will be recycled as something else.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th December 2014 - 02:42 AM