Reply to this topicStart new topic
DCM, the Digital Comic Museum
ART BOWSHIER
post Aug 9 2011, 09:19 PM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 19,991

Does anyone visit there? The Fiction House section has very good artists. All the Comics there have had their copyrights expire. I was surprised by the styles and storytelling techniques. The westerms from the lesser known publishers often used their best artists. While some had lesser artists on superheroes. Almost everyone had a hero dressed in a flag during WW2. I know the stories were shopped out to Iger and others that supplied stories. Check DCM out if you haven't before.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
ART BOWSHIER
post Aug 15 2011, 02:27 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

There are tons of detective, crime, and horror titles too. This is a great referemce library. The Phantom lady is there and a ton of Ditko stuff.Red Seal, Red circle,blue circle, Thrilling, Jumbo, Jingle Jangle, and much more than I can list. It runs the gamut of every genre in comics and every bit is in public domain. The copyright was never renewed on time. I've seen the Serial Squadron reprint some of these as well as other publishers. Didn't someone recently do a golden-age Silver-Streak comic? Chime in. I would love to take the artwork from Fazzetta's Thunda #1 and make it into a Tijuana Bible. Ala "What's up Tiger Lily?". (Where Woody Allen took a Japanesse spy movie andf dubbed it with comedic dialog.) Does anyone dropp by the site?

+Quote Post
ART BOWSHIER
post Aug 21 2011, 04:13 PM
Post #3

Advanced Member

I Came across a couple of book by Jsck Kirbu and maybe Joe Simon for Harvey in the 50's called Alarming Tales, the first two or three books are mainly Kirby. One time travel tale is proto- Kamandi-ish. Another has a flying chair. different inkers, ONE iI THINK IS DITKO....

This post has been edited by ART BOWSHIER: Aug 21 2011, 04:14 PM

+Quote Post
ART BOWSHIER
post Aug 24 2011, 01:27 PM
Post #4

Advanced Member

If anyone goes to DCm cccheckout thew Quality section. It has Hit Comic,The Spirit and Spirit Sections, Kid Eternity,
Blackhawk, Plastic Man, Dollman , Uncle Sam, National Comics, and Smash Comics. by Eisner, Crandall, Nordling and other greats. Eisner's eight pge Spirit section stories are better reads than some modern stuff.

+Quote Post
ART BOWSHIER
post Aug 27 2011, 06:38 AM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Does anyone read these?

This post has been edited by ART BOWSHIER: Aug 27 2011, 06:38 AM

+Quote Post
ART BOWSHIER
post Aug 30 2011, 08:52 AM
Post #6

Advanced Member

I have a theory about Stanley Kubrick. He was a comic book kid... I've been looking over old Quality comics and they used and changed and reused covers that sold especially well. Uncle Sam rides Bombs and airplanes in a dive, Other heroes do the same. Just like Slim Pickens did it years later in Dr. Strangelove. I know the Batman Tv show gave Batgirl a motorcycle to mimic the Black Cat........I think Lucas used his knowledge of aviation comics as an inspiration to galactic dogfights.........life imitates art and sometimes different media imitates other media.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th December 2014 - 01:54 PM