Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Champion City Weekend Is A Wrap!!!!
G-Man
post Sep 9 2011, 06:42 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,660

The first guests have started to arrive!

Thursday's plans unfortunately did not come together due to a couple of last minute changes of when certain guests were arriving in town...and Main Street Comics and Games was a madhouse for the most part of the day.

Today we're off and running picking final prizes for the costume contest, meeting the disc golf vendor and showing him where to set up, arranging for audio recording of Wade Kiger's live musical performance tonight and waiting for the newest shipment of books for Twilight Star to arrive.

Everything kicks off today at 2:00p.m

CHAMPION CITY 2ND ANNUAL DISC GOLF DOUBLES TOURNAMNET

2:00 p.m-4:00 p.m
Wittenberg Campus (corner of Ward Street and Wittenberg Avenue)

Disc rental will be available if you want to play but do not have discs of your own. Brand new disc golf supplies will be on sale as well including new discs from both Innova and Gateway.

Post 95 (Wittenberg University’s Snack Bar) will be running disc golf themed menu items all day and will offer free drinks or food prizes to any players hitting a hole in one during the tournament.

CHAMPION CITY 2ND ANNUAL PRE-CONVENTION DINNER

6:00-8:00 P.M
Tumbleweed
Room for 40 people-come out and join us!

CHAMPION CITY 2ND ANNUAL POKER TOURNAMENT

8:00-10:00 P.M
Country Inn Dining Room
Hosted by Frank Raynor-FRANK HAS A GREAT PRIZE FOR THE WINNER

CHAMPION CITY PRE-CONVENTION PARTY

10:00-12:00 P.M
Crazy Joe’s Jamaican Bar
Quality Inn
Featuring live music by Wade Kiger
No Cover
Donations will be taken with proceeds going to the Josh Medors Cancer Benefit Fund

SATURDAY SEPTEMBER 10TH

3RD ANNUAL CHAMPION CITY COMIC CONVENTION STARTS

Set up
8:00 am
Doors open at 10:00 am-close at 6:00 p.m

The area’s best comic vendors, creators and all day gaming of every kind including Hero Clix, Magic, and video game tournaments.

Sponsored by Main Street Comics And Games, Wittenberg University, Armstrong Printing, Country Inn, Tumbleweed, Family Video and Quality Inn

GUESTS
TIM SEELEY
DANIEL LEISTER
MARC SUMERAK
DUSTIN CARSON
CHUCK MOORE
JOHN WILSON
BRANT FOWLER
SCOTT D.M. SIMMONS
BRIAN LATIMER
KEVIN ADKINS
ROBIN HUMER
RICHARD KATTERJOHN
GARY CHURCH
DERRON CHURCH
TIM HAGANS
STACY GASTON
CHAD STROHL
RODNEY FYKE
JOE PRUITT
CHRIS CANTRELL
VICTOR DANDRIDGE
MUTANT CACTUS
MIKE ESHELMAN
D20 GIRLS
MIKE WATSON

PANELS

U-CRE-8 COMICS
with Victor Dandridge
11:00-11:45

Comic Book JEOPARDY!
12:00-12:45
Hosted by Matt Smith
Frank Raynor and Bill Gladman judges
Contestants-
Chad Strohl
Andy McGinn
Jesse Noble

2nd Annual Champion City Costume Contest
1:00-2:30
This year hosted by Frank Raynor and Brian Carson
Prizes for best children's
Best male
Best female
Best overall

Third Annual Champion City Charity Auction
3:00-4:30
Benefitting Josh Medors
Hosted by Frank Raynor, Bill Gladman, Raichal Gladman, and Brain Carson
NOW ACCEPTNG AUCTION DONATION ITEMS.
Contact Frank Raynor or Bill Gladman
Auction items at the moment include:
Copies of the first 10 comics printed by Twilight Star Studios
GALACTUS-8bit poster by Victor Dandridge
Original artwork for the Champion City program, fliers, and badges by artist Joe Pruitt
Captain America #1 (July 2011)-sketch variant cover by artist Derron Church
Ghost Rider #1 (August 2011)-sketch variant cover by artist Gary Church
Punisher #1 (August 2011)-sketch variant cover by artist Dan Matthews

RaynMan Power Hour-LIVE
5:00-6:00
Recording the popular podcast show live at Champion City for the first time.
Hosted by Brant Fowler with Frank Raynor and Bill Gladman
Featuring encore musical performance by Wade Kiger
Bill, Frank, and Brant turn the table on the audience----how? Come see for yourself!

3RD ANNUAL CHAMPION CITY AFTER PARTY

8:00-12:00
Founders at the Wittenberg Campus
Featuring the band NINE VOLT!!!!!

This post has been edited by G-Man: Sep 11 2011, 09:15 AM

--------------------
"Reality is only for those who lack imagination" don't know who first said that....but it works for me!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
G-Man
post Sep 9 2011, 11:27 AM
Post #2

Great article in the Springfield News-Sun if anybody wants to look it up on the web....

Books and prints for Twilight Star just came in...they look great!!!! I LOVE Rink Printing!!!!

Off to play some disc golf!!!!!!

--------------------
"Reality is only for those who lack imagination" don't know who first said that....but it works for me!

+Quote Post
G-Man
post Sep 9 2011, 02:54 PM
Post #3

Well the 2nd Annual Champion City Disc Golf Tournament is in the books.....

Weather gave us a break and a really nice afternoon, but turn out was too low to play teams as planned. We played two rounds of single man disc golf. Tim Hagans won the first round with one of his best games ever, and Tim and I tied the second round.

But the person who had the best day was Sam Matthews, the disc golf vendor I brought in this year. He did very well, even better than Tim!

Thanks to everybody that came out for the event....

Raichal Gladman
Levi Medenhall
Tim Hagans
Gary Church
Kevin Adkins

Sam Matthews

And that G-Man guy.

And special thanks to Donna at the Wittenberg campus for working with us with the event.

Off to Tumbleweed for the pre- con dinner, then the poker tournament, and wrap up the night with the pre-con party with music from WADE KIGER!!!

--------------------

+Quote Post
G-Man
post Sep 10 2011, 04:01 AM
Post #4

Champion City Weekend keeps rolling....

Dinner at Tumbleweed was highlighted by Dustin and Brain Carson, Robin Humer (who worked with Dustin and Scott Riley on Butterfly Girl which is available TODAY in Pandemonium Spotlight #3 from Twilight Star Studios) and Darrel Gossett lead guitarist from the band One Eyed Jack.

Dustin Carson wins the 2nd annual Champion City Poker Tournament keeping the title in the Carson family as Brian won it last year.

Wade Kiger put on a Hell of a show with great performances of "Diary of a Madman" and "Tonight" by Ozzy Osbourne, "War Pigs" by Black Sabbath, "Diamonds And Rust" by Judas Priest, "Behind" written by myself which he dedicated to my sister who was killed in 1986, and "Wanted Dead Or Alive" by Bon Jovi which had back up vocals provided by Frank Raynor, Brain Carson, Dustin Carson, and Gary Church!!!!

Unfortunately doing the party we learned that Scott Riley's step-father died in his sleep during our dinner and Scott had to leave early......with the mind set ....check on Mom.....and then make sure that the sure goes on as well as possible the next day.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gonzogoose
post Sep 10 2011, 05:58 AM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Member No.: 589

Man, I wish I could be at the show this year. Sounds like lots of fun.

Everybody buy a copy of Pandemonium Spotlight #3 from Twilight Star, featuring (among others) a short story by yours truly with art by Kevin Adkins!

Really sorry to hear about Scott's step-dad, though.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ron Fortier
post Sep 10 2011, 11:01 AM
Post #6

Member No.: 1,427

Aw, major bummer, our sincere condolences to Scott and his family.

+Quote Post
cougar18
post Sep 10 2011, 12:31 PM
Post #7

Advanced Member

Member No.: 19,981

QUOTE (Ron Fortier @ Sep 10 2011, 12:01 PM) *
Aw, major bummer, our sincere condolences to Scott and his family.

Ditto everything Ron said.

+Quote Post
ChadStrohl
post Sep 10 2011, 09:09 PM
Post #8

Advanced Member

Member No.: 3,103

QUOTE (Gonzogoose @ Sep 10 2011, 07:58 AM) *
Everybody buy a copy of Pandemonium Spotlight #3 from Twilight Star, featuring (among others) a short story by yours truly with art by Kevin Adkins!

Yeah. We need to have a talk about that story. dry.gif lol

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gonzogoose
post Sep 10 2011, 10:15 PM
Post #9

Advanced Member

Member No.: 589

LOL. It's a funny coincidence, my friend, nothing more. biggrin.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
ART BOWSHIER
post Sep 11 2011, 08:00 AM
Post #10

Advanced Member

Member No.: 19,991

I was disapointed at this years turnout. It was slow.... I did go to jeapordy. lots of laughs there. Frank Raynor was the man of the hour with all the panels. Great job Frank. I comped a few of my comicc book on cd. I was tired....at the end of the day. I had fon.

+Quote Post
G-Man
post Sep 11 2011, 08:46 AM
Post #11

Turn out for the show was much less than the year before...but we still had a great day. The people that did show up spent money and lots of it....but very picky about what they bought....several vendors and creators did very well...some even better than the last year show.

Plans are already in the works to make the 2012 show the equal to the 2010 show or better. Many people want to be a part of the "comeback year" already.

The panels were a huge success-

Victor Dandridge's U Can Cre-8 panel was very well received and he was just amazing with those kids.

Comic Book Jeopardy was a HUGE success...thanks to Matt Smith and all he hard work. And despite a slight glitch that involved the She-Hulk....ran like a top! Fantastic contestants for this game with Jesse Noble, Andy McGinn, and Chad Strohl....and Chad won it all BIG TIME!!!!! The game was recorded on U.V.N.

Costume contest went well.....Brian and Frank did a great job with a little help from Victor and Mike Watson....this was recorded by U.V.N as well......check it when "Little Richard" posts it on the U.V.N. site in the near future.

The Charity Auction for Josh Medors raised $385.00 with help from door donations and donations from the Wade Kiger show that night before. Josh actually showed up at the show for a few minutes with good friend Sean Forney and looked and acted pretty good. The guy is a fighter! Half the money raised was due to art donations by Joe Pruitt!!!! Way to go Joe!!! Dan Matthews also blew everybody's mind with his sketch variant cover for Punisher #1 and Gary Church and Stacy Gaston's Ghost Rider #1 sketch variant and the original art for the cover of Price For The Asking #1 by Brain Latimer and the last three pages of the book inked by Tim Hagans rounded out the auction's main attractions.

The panels ended with the recording of the first ever LIVE episode of The RaynMan Power Hour podcast. Unfortunately this will also be the last episode of the show as the current changes here on CR will see the show boxed up and put away. BUT this show is going out with a bang!!!!! Great audience participation.....with Mike Watson, Gary Church, Tony Doug Wright and many more!!! Victor Dandridge at his best and a Comic Celebrity Death Match that people will talkng about FOREVER!!!!. Check it out as Brant puts all the final bells and whistles on the show and it appears for the last time....with episode # 46....here on Comic Related tomorrow night Monday Sept 12th.

SPECIAL NOTE-FANS OF THE RAYNMAN POWER HOUR STAY TUNED AS RAYNMAN MAY VERY BE PICKED UP BY ANOTHER A WEBSITE IN THE NEAR FUTURE-I WILL SHARE DETAILS AS THEY OCCUR.

The Golden Corral dinner was very small this year with only five people keeping up with this tradition including Dustin Carson, Brian Carson, Chad and Lainey, and Frank. I was a "little" low on funds so Ellie and I did sneak out to Taco Bell but it was just great to get some food and get off my feet.

The after party with Nine Volt which was 4 plus hours long.......kicked much ass!!!! They went acoustic this year and the venue was top notch...they even had a sofa and that's where I hung out for most of the show. The band was incredible.....sounding even tighter and more professional than last year.....party started at 8:00 and lasted well past midnight with Scott Riley, Tim Hagans, Kevin Adkins, Frank Raynor, Robin Humer, Joe Pruitt, Marc Sumerak, Tim Seeley, Dan Leister, Ellie and myself and many more. Made even better by a nailbiting Michigan vs. Purdue game on the big screen and some really great dancers!!!!

All in all ....a good fun filled show highlighted by some really great moments for several people.

Watch for photos coming soon from me and Scott Simmons.

This post has been edited by G-Man: Sep 11 2011, 05:06 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
G-Man
post Sep 11 2011, 02:52 PM
Post #12

Wow....unfortunately the audio recorded for the live RaynMan episode was lost. This weekend just was full of moments that left me shaking my head.

BUT-fortunately the show was recorded on video by Richard Katterjohn and U.V.N. and that will be airing soon as the first live and official last episode of the series.

And there will be one more episode that airs for the last time here on the Comic Related site, tomorrow night. A special farewell episode put together by the Gonzogoose himself.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Eric Adams
post Sep 11 2011, 08:25 PM
Post #13

Advanced Member

Group: Admin
Member No.: 2,754

Sorry I couldn't make it out. I intended to, but too many responsibilities piled up on me. I'm sure I would have had a fun time.

--------------------

+Quote Post
G-Man
post Sep 12 2011, 03:06 AM
Post #14

I'm very relieved that I didn't miss you somehow. I kept looking for you. Hope to see you soon elsewhere.

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 30th August 2014 - 06:12 AM