Thoughts on ComicsMonkey, Kablam's distribution service
MasonEasley
post Sep 21 2011, 04:43 PM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 15,679

http://www.comicsmonkey.com/store/index.php

I'm considering putting my 3 (soon to be four) comics in the Comicsmonkey distribution catalog. It seems pretty easy to do. You pay a $10 to get your item listed, and Comicsmonkey handles the rest. If a retailer purchases your comic, you get about the same percentage of sale that you would get if you went through Diamond.

Has anyone used this service, and if so, what has been your experience? Positive or Negative.

This post has been edited by MasonEasley: Sep 21 2011, 04:44 PM

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Decapitated_Dan
post Sep 21 2011, 06:24 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 2,983

I tried to get my comic shop to sign up for it to get me some books. After trying for 3 months they were flat out told no by Kablam, so I don't think highly of them not allowing your books to be sold in stores... which is the purpose.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Cary
post Sep 21 2011, 06:51 PM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 2,957

I use both Kablam and Comicsmonkey and have had decent luck with the Kablam side of things. I'm not really sure on the CM side as I've not sold much, but there have been orders for a couple of issues. As I'm not affiliated in any way with a store I can't speak to the ease or not of setting up an account and going that route, but I love their service from a creator's side of things. I haven't made any quit my day job money, but what I have made thus far significantly outweighs what time and effort I've put into setting things up on their system.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ron Fortier
post Sep 21 2011, 07:21 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 1,427

Likewise we've put the first few issues of our Mr. Jigsaw up at Monkey Comics and have seen some store sales from this. Still, most of our sales come from the Indy Planet site itself. Like Dan said, not enough shop owners are willing to buy in and that's the big hurdle.

+Quote Post
Ringtail Cafe
post Sep 22 2011, 06:13 AM
Post #5

CR Technical Admin

Group: Admin
Member No.: 2,740

I'll be honest. I think it's great to have access to another distribution method. However, I am -very- apprehensive about the fact that they are both the printer, AND distributor... after all, you have to take their word for how many were actually printed, and shipped. So always take that kind of thing with a grain of salt.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Decapitated_Dan
post Sep 22 2011, 07:31 AM
Post #6

Advanced Member

Member No.: 2,983

QUOTE (Ron Fortier @ Sep 21 2011, 08:21 PM) *
Likewise we've put the first few issues of our Mr. Jigsaw up at Monkey Comics and have seen some store sales from this. Still, most of our sales come from the Indy Planet site itself. Like Dan said, not enough shop owners are willing to buy in and that's the big hurdle.

Just to clarify it was ComicsMonkey that said no to the shop getting the books, not the shop saying no to me.

--------------------

+Quote Post
MasonEasley
post Sep 22 2011, 08:32 AM
Post #7

Advanced Member

Member No.: 15,679

Thanks for the replies thus far guys!

Comicsmonkey also gives your book an ISBN. Have you guys seen any real issues with them giving out an ISBN over getting one yourself for your book? In other words, if I tried to sell my comics outside of Comicsmonkey, could I have a conflict with the ISBN they gave me?

This post has been edited by MasonEasley: Sep 22 2011, 08:34 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ringtail Cafe
post Sep 24 2011, 09:24 PM
Post #8

CR Technical Admin

QUOTE (Ron Fortier @ Sep 21 2011, 09:21 PM) *

Then the question for us, as small publishers is...how can we change that notion?

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gonzogoose
post Sep 24 2011, 10:14 PM
Post #9

Advanced Member

Member No.: 589

QUOTE (MasonEasley @ Sep 22 2011, 10:32 AM) *
Thanks for the replies thus far guys!

Comicsmonkey also gives your book an ISBN. Have you guys seen any real issues with them giving out an ISBN over getting one yourself for your book? In other words, if I tried to sell my comics outside of Comicsmonkey, could I have a conflict with the ISBN they gave me?

I don't know from personal experience, but I have researched that a bit, and I believe, yes, you would have a problem. The ISBN they provide, at a cost, has restrictions if I read correctly, and you wouldn't be able to sell it independently through other places like Amazon, etc. It's been a while since I researched it, but read their fine print, it's in there somewhere.

Dan, that's crazy that they told the comic shop no. What was their reason? Seems like them shooting themselves in the foot as a "distributor" if they're unwilling to provide them to a retailer.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Cary
post Sep 25 2011, 10:04 AM
Post #10

Advanced Member

The ISBN Comicsmonkey provides belongs to them alone. If your book prints with that number it goes through them and their distribution channel. That being said, there's nothing preventing you from getting your own ISBN and supplying that to them. That's the route I chose and it has worked out great.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ringtail Cafe
post Sep 26 2011, 01:33 PM
Post #11

CR Technical Admin

Blueline sells ISBN and Barcodes, btw.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Cary
post Sep 26 2011, 07:50 PM
Post #12

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Ringtail Cafe @ Sep 26 2011, 01:33 PM) *
Blueline sells ISBN and Barcodes, btw.

You mean RE sells. All ISBN numbers come from one source from what I've read. Bowker or some such.

--------------------

+Quote Post
LurkD
post Oct 2 2011, 02:46 PM
Post #13

Advanced Member

Member No.: 14,148

True. All ISBN numbers and codes come from Bowker. They have their own website, seen here:

www.bowker.com

This post has been edited by LurkD: Oct 2 2011, 02:47 PM

+Quote Post
captain_spectre
post Oct 8 2011, 07:46 AM
Post #14

Member No.: 13,957

I bet KaBlam said no because the shop probably wanted to pay the regular discount they get from Diamond. I am guessing here, but I know my local shop owner won't hedge on paying for something like that unless he had someone special order it. And on that note it would probably be better for the fan to just order it from 'you' the creator or KaBlam as then more support comes your way. Shops just can't have much stock sitting in hopes of someone will buy it.....those days are slowly becoming an ancient legend of the past.

Also, I am a bit shaky on this ISBN stuff.....is that only for uniform pricing?? Does it have anything at all to do with registaring a copyright or anything like that.??? And you say Blueline sells them....cool.

--------------------
Join the Adventure! Sign up for the Lightning Legion! Tune in at www.captainspectre.com
Also all the behind the scene updates and art at Lightning Legion Secret Blog

+Quote Post
Cary
post Oct 8 2011, 12:27 PM
Post #15

Advanced Member

QUOTE (captain_spectre @ Oct 8 2011, 07:46 AM) *
I bet KaBlam said no because the shop probably wanted to pay the regular discount they get from Diamond. I am guessing here, but I know my local shop owner won't hedge on paying for something like that unless he had someone special order it. And on that note it would probably be better for the fan to just order it from 'you' the creator or KaBlam as then more support comes your way. Shops just can't have much stock sitting in hopes of someone will buy it.....those days are slowly becoming an ancient legend of the past.

Also, I am a bit shaky on this ISBN stuff.....is that only for uniform pricing?? Does it have anything at all to do with registaring a copyright or anything like that.??? And you say Blueline sells them....cool.

Well there's a couple of problems with that. First, it's not Kablam it's Comicsmonkey, the are of their house that actually wants to be the distributor like Diamond. They give discounts to retailers, ship the books, the whole thing. So it's in their interest to set up accounts like the one he's talking about. Is it easier for an individual fan to just order it via Kablam? Sure. In fact I get more money that way because I don't have to eat the discount that Comicsmonkey gives out. But that's not really helping me with the walk in sales that I might get from people who have never heard of my book. That's the hope of Comicsmonkey, to get the book into shops and make new fans.

Also, the discounts are actually BETTER than what Diamond offers in most cases, or at least the same. A shop owner saying they can't get the discounts aren't paying attention or simply don't want to order, it has nothing to do with discounts.

Blueline re-sells ISBN numbers much like a lot of other people, but they originate from a company call Bowker. ISBN numbers are used by all books and magazines as a universal stocking, tracking, and price code. If you've ever been to a store and had someone scan a barcode to sell you a book you've used the ISBN number because it's integrated into that UPC. ISBNs are great for ordering and inventory control as well because no two books have the same number. You do not need an ISBN to register a copyright, they have nothing to do with each other.

--------------------

+Quote Post
captain_spectre
post Oct 9 2011, 06:58 AM
Post #16

Member No.: 13,957

Cary,
Thanks for the great info....I try to keep up on distribution of indie books since that is the business we are in, but the comics monkey thing is totally new to me. Sorry about the misfire with KaBlam, I thought it didn't sound like those guys, I have had good dealings with them.

And thanks about the ISBN and copyright stuff.

thanks.

--------------------
Join the Adventure! Sign up for the Lightning Legion! Tune in at www.captainspectre.com
Also all the behind the scene updates and art at Lightning Legion Secret Blog

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd July 2014 - 07:39 PM