2 Pages V  < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Person Of Interest
G-Man
post Nov 4 2011, 06:37 PM
Post #21

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,660

Well....another week and another episode of Person of Interest. And again this episode seemed very forced at first. A lot of the lines , especially the ones delivered by the actress playing Detective Carter just seemed to me like they were being read right of a cue monitor....almost on par with soap opera acting.

But this show is one that seems to come alive for me in the second half, and it did so again tonight. Without disappoint...after the first 28 minutes were out of the way. As soon as "Charlie" mentioned his foster parent I thought I know who he really was, but at the same time I couldn't help but feel I was jumping to some very far fectched conclusions without a lot of evidence to back up my my crazy thoughts.

But as the show progressed it just start to solidify more and more....and I was right! (Holy Usual Suspects!!!!)

Nicely done!!!!! And to make matters even more enjoyable, Finch and Reese got played with the end result Reese questioning the mission the two men are working together on.

Another favorite part of tonight's show was the whole "Count Of Monte Cristo" angle. Of course Jim Caviezel played the lead role of the latest big screen adaption of the novel by Alexandre Dumas. Loved this book, thank God it was required reading in Lit. class!!!! Led me to the classic 1934 film..... a true motion picture gem.

In 2002 Caviezel starred as Edmond Dantes along with other favorite actors of mine (Guy Pierce-The Time Machine and Michael Wincott-The Crow). I loved this version of the the tale as well and if you haven't seen it yet....you should!!!!

Another cool comic book factoid about the Count Of Monte Cristo....V (played by Hugo Weaving) watched the 1934 version of film over and over again in the 2006 film V For Vendetta....and actually watches it a couple of time with Evy Hammond (played by Natalie Portman)

And .....while I'm here i'd like to wish fellow Person Of Interest fan Captain Ron Fortier a very sneaky and very happy birthday!!!!!!

Yes ...believe it or not Hugo Weaving, V, The Red Skull and Captain Ron are all related in a crazy Comic Related way....how?

Well...naw that would be telling. I'll let you do the detective work on that one.

This post has been edited by G-Man: Nov 4 2011, 06:38 PM

--------------------
"Reality is only for those who lack imagination" don't know who first said that....but it works for me!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Ron Fortier
post Nov 4 2011, 06:46 PM
Post #22

Member No.: 1,427

Hahahaha, Bill, my good friend, you beat me to this. All day long I wanted to post about last night's episode but kept getting caught up in other things and forgetting.

Like you I'm getting really annoyed with the lady cop, she totally isn't getting the part and needs to either get lots better direction or canned. Whereas I am liking Det. Fusco, the crooked copy pretty much coerced into being a good one.

And I like how Finch is getting more and more active.

But I have to tell you Bill, the "reveal" of Elias totally blindsided me. I truly thought he was the "other" suspect they whipped up on us, the one in uniform. I thought sure he was the one...and then when that whole scene rolls along on the ferry, I was stunned. I so love this show. Kicker is, Reese was right at the end, he and Finch are responsible for Elias' war now....and I fully expect its going to eat away at Reese until he takes it upon himself to take him out.

This show is just GREAT. End of story. Oh, and thanks for the Birthday wishes. Got lots of cool things planned.

+Quote Post
G-Man
post Nov 4 2011, 06:50 PM
Post #23

Man....I hope I make it through Fringe....I think I was half asleep when I typed that last post. What a typo train wreck.....oh well. That's life.

Enjoy your special plans....

--------------------
"Reality is only for those who lack imagination" don't know who first said that....but it works for me!

+Quote Post
cougar18
post Nov 4 2011, 09:22 PM
Post #24

Advanced Member

Member No.: 19,981

QUOTE (G-Man @ Nov 4 2011, 07:50 PM) *
Man....I hope I make it through Fringe....I think I was half asleep when I typed that last post. What a typo train wreck.....oh well. That's life.

Enjoy your special plans....

Oh please, please do not remind me of that really bad film adaptation. I knew there were problems straight away when the Wachowskis had no dea what the word 'Anarchy' means.

So much gold in the pages of the book, and they ended up with glod.

+Quote Post
G-Man
post Nov 5 2011, 02:14 AM
Post #25

Sorry you didn't care for it....personally a favorite of mine. BUT.....gotta admit I have yet to read the original source material here....making this three of Alan Moore's books I had not read before the movie release. The other two being LXG and From Hell and yes I liked both of those films as well....and have since read the original source material for LXG....like both the books and the movie....they're very different and as Brant and I recently discussed on the RaynMan Halloween Special I can understand why Alan Moore fans were upset with LXG...and I guess...V For Vendetta.

The interesting thing I wanted to focus on here was the connections between The Count Of Monte Cristo, V For Vendetta, and the latest episode of Person Of Interest which is of course the great lengths that the characters Dante, V, and Elias went through to achieve their personal revenge.

And....I think I'm going to have to watch both the 2002 version of The Count Of Monte Cristo and V For Vendetta within the next few days.....

--------------------

+Quote Post
cougar18
post Nov 5 2011, 04:06 PM
Post #26

Advanced Member

QUOTE (G-Man @ Nov 5 2011, 02:14 AM) *
Sorry you didn't care for it....personally a favorite of mine. BUT.....gotta admit I have yet to read the original source material here....making this three of Alan Moore's books I had not read before the movie release. The other two being LXG and From Hell and yes I liked both of those films as well....and have since read the original source material for LXG....like both the books and the movie....they're very different and as Brant and I recently discussed on the RaynMan Halloween Special I can understand why Alan Moore fans were upset with LXG...and I guess...V For Vendetta.

The interesting thing I wanted to focus on here was the connections between The Count Of Monte Cristo, V For Vendetta, and the latest episode of Person Of Interest which is of course the great lengths that the characters Dante, V, and Elias went through to achieve their personal revenge.

And....I think I'm going to have to watch both the 2002 version of The Count Of Monte Cristo and V For Vendetta within the next few days.....

The biggest problem with League of Extraordinary Gentlemen is that the source material, whither the graphic novels or the original books from which the characters are drawn, are ripe in material and potential. But the film never gets that. Not at all. In many ways, where the novel is progressive in the roles and characters, the film is regressive. Mina Harker is the leader of the group in the books, a role that would have been unimaginable back in the day for any woman, yet in these modern times, the leader role instead went to an old man. I know this was down to Sean Connery's ego, but someone should have put their foot down. The addition of Tom Sawyer just did not fit, was a bad idea, and the character was a pointless addition. Not to mention that all of the characters were aged according to the year of their books publication. Sawyer should have been the same age as Connery, not a lame teen heart throb added in by some producer, who wanted an American fictional character in the film because the rest are from Eurpean fiction. Yet this problem could easily have been solved by saying he is the son/ grandson of the original Tom Sawyer.
Dorian Gray-main problem is that the character is under develloped and the actor, Stuart Townsend, is rather poor in the role. Mina Harker-not a vampire in the graphic novels, instead she survived a vamp attack, and wears a scarf to hide the bite marks. No powers, other than she may/ may not be able to tame Mr Hyde. One has to wonder if that is because he lets her think that or not.
Dr Jekyll/ Mr Hyde- again, completely underutilised, and without the danger element from the books, he comes across as pityful more than anything else.
The danger element of Hyde, the cannibalism and the sadomasochist element of him was completely removed, and without that, he just comes across as lacking.
Nemo-not really anything memorable about him. Another character completely underused and underdeveloped.
Quatermain-Reduced to a father figure, instead of the butt kicking action hero with his own demons and opium addiction from the books. The only guy where age is not a barrier, and who can out action his younger comrades. If he is meant to be the leader, then show it by making him the tough guy he is meant to be. The way they were setting it up so that the bland kid would assume his role was just terribly short sighted.

But worst thing of all was they took a book aimed at 18 years and older, and made it into a kids movie. That eliminated so much potential with the characters, that the film just lost momentum and promise.
Flipping heck. Like making Goodfellas for kids.

What is really annoying about the film also, is that in the same year that film came out, the first Pirates of the Carribbean film also came out. POTC is an amusement ride with no premise whatsoever, and yet they got a very entertaining, fun film out of it. LOEG was both a series of classic books, and great graphic novels, yet they turned the rich material into crud.
So it seems like if you give Hollywood a rich vein of good material, they will waste the potential. If you give them the flimsiest premise, they can give a great result.

That's not counting the lame sequels, however.

+Quote Post
Ron Fortier
post Nov 18 2011, 09:24 AM
Post #27

Sorry you didn't like LEAGUE, Cougar. As a graphic novel, I liked it fine. As a movie, I'm with Bill, the version they gave us entertained me a great deal.
Different strokes amigo.
But as this topic is about the TV show PERSON OF INTEREST, can we get back on track? wink.gif Last night's episode was another winner, with Reece dealing with a former East German assassin and seeing a lot of himself in the man's ultimate fate. The glimpses into his own past during the flashbacks were also intriguing leading up to how he came by the name he uses.
Still my favorite show after FRINGE. Hopefully we'll hear it's been renewed soon.

+Quote Post
Gonzogoose
post Nov 18 2011, 09:36 AM
Post #28

Advanced Member

Member No.: 589

Not a renewal, but they did confirm it was picked up for an entire 22 episode season:

http://www.tv.com/news/cbs-orders-full-sea...gettable-27004/

It was a good episode last night, and I like the actor that portrayed the German spy a lot. He was on Lost and The O.C. and was really good on both of those shows.

I too liked the snippets of Reese's past, and I think it's interesting how Finch keeps getting more and more involved as the weeks go on.

--------------------

+Quote Post
cougar18
post Nov 18 2011, 06:30 PM
Post #29

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Ron Fortier @ Nov 18 2011, 10:24 AM) *
Sorry you didn't like LEAGUE, Cougar. As a graphic novel, I liked it fine. As a movie, I'm with Bill, the version they gave us entertained me a great deal.
Different strokes amigo.
But as this topic is about the TV show PERSON OF INTEREST, can we get back on track? wink.gif Last night's episode was another winner, with Reece dealing with a former East German assassin and seeing a lot of himself in the man's ultimate fate. The glimpses into his own past during the flashbacks were also intriguing leading up to how he came by the name he uses.
Still my favorite show after FRINGE. Hopefully we'll hear it's been renewed soon.

Oh don't me started on people going off topic, I mean, there is nothing worse than someone wishing to talk about something, like, say the original series of Human Target starring Rick Springfield, and then...speaking of Rick Springfield, wasn't 'Jessie's Girl' a brilliant song...wink.gif

Okay, honestly, now I am just joking.

But getting back on topic, in all seriousness, I am following people's reactions on this board because I want to gauge people's opinions of the show, so if I do chime in with something non-essential to the topic, forgive me, but it is my inner-irriational-act without thinking-nerd.
I genuinely want to watch shows I think or hear are good, rather than waste my time on a series that is terrible. Life is too short.

Most shows that get a thumbs up from folks here are generally my cup of tea.

+Quote Post
G-Man
post Nov 18 2011, 07:52 PM
Post #30

Just watched last night's episode....and as with all these shows it started off slow. Choppy and shaky. But I have watched enough of these now to know that each episode eventually tightens up and pulls me into the action.

The latest episode actually grabbed me quicker than normal....from the scene where Reece mentions "shots fired" while on the phone with Lionel.

The cast had weak members. This episode's "How the Hell did they get a part in this show?" award goes to the German agent who Reece knocked out at the scene of the first revenge driven assassination. Detective Carter was ...okay tonight. She didn't get on my nerves as much thanks to the the other guy screwing up so much.

Figured out the wife was still alive right before Kole was told the information...but the daughter angle caught me by surprise. The guy playing Kole was a great actor and I enjoyed every moment of both his conversations with Reece.

Also loved that flashback scene....liked how it tied in with the main story.

Enjoyed seeing how the name "Reece" came into being and hearing the line "Your country needs you" mentioned in that same flashback.

Very good show over all ...but no previews again this week....does this mean a season hiatus....haven't read Gonzo's news from the earlier post yet...gonna go back and do that now.

Yep-second best show on the air ...behind Fringe of course. Too bad there's not anything else out there that can hold my attention for more than nine minutes.

--------------------

+Quote Post
G-Man
post Nov 18 2011, 07:54 PM
Post #31

QUOTE (Gonzogoose @ Nov 18 2011, 10:36 AM) *
Not a renewal, but they did confirm it was picked up for an entire 22 episode season:

http://www.tv.com/news/cbs-orders-full-sea...gettable-27004/

It was a good episode last night, and I like the actor that portrayed the German spy a lot. He was on Lost and The O.C. and was really good on both of those shows.

I too liked the snippets of Reese's past, and I think it's interesting how Finch keeps getting more and more involved as the weeks go on.

Hey !!!

I'll take that!!!!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gonzogoose
post Sep 29 2012, 04:01 AM
Post #32

Advanced Member

As Ron mentioned in his forum, this show came back this week with a bang. Reece is on the search for Finch as we learn more and more about the mysterious machine Finch created. Very strong season opener in my opinion.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Tim Tilley
post Sep 30 2012, 09:53 AM
Post #33

Freelance Writer and Colorist!

Member No.: 2,926

I'm very pleased to see the direction that this show is going in, more so that they decided to cast Amy Acker as 'Root.' I'm looking forward to seeing how the story develops from here on out.

+Quote Post
Gonzogoose
post Sep 30 2012, 11:03 AM
Post #34

Advanced Member

She was fantastic. She was born for roles like this honestly.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ron Fortier
post Sep 30 2012, 05:18 PM
Post #35

Oh yeah, she has that sweet look about here ...then suddenly there's this blatant I'M NUTS in her eyes. A real horror villain.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 30th September 2014 - 03:55 PM