Reply to this topicStart new topic
DC Announcement?
Gonzogoose
post Feb 1 2012, 04:03 AM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 589

Bleeding Cool is stating that DC will make a big announcement today. I haven't found any other info about this yet, but we'll post any big breaking news on the main site and I'll link it here.

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2012/01/31/dc-...g-big-tomorrow/

Let the speculation begin. What do you think the news will be? Anyone?

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Fred Lang
post Feb 1 2012, 05:08 AM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 19,590

The entire DC catalog will be available digitally by the end of the year. Every book, ever.

--------------------
Owner and Creator at PixelFigs

+Quote Post
Gonzogoose
post Feb 1 2012, 07:41 AM
Post #3

Advanced Member

http://comicrelated.com/news/14967/before-watchmen

--------------------

+Quote Post
Greg G.
post Feb 1 2012, 09:17 AM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Member No.: 19,808

They have some notoriously bullish / vocal about how unprofitable page rates for interiors. I wonder just how much money Warner Brothers threw at some of these folks?

Nobody is going into this with the intention of making bad comics and I'm definitely interested due to talent involved, but I'll be passing. There is Darwyn Cooke work out there that I don't own and some of these other creators really need to be working on projects they promised years ago (this is four issues of All Star Wonder Woman Hughes could have gotten done), etc.

In the end I look forward to the interviews with the creators involved and discussion of their big fat paydays.

--------------------
You know, life is funny.
If you don't repeat the actions of your own success
You won't be successful
You gotta know your own formula, your own ingredients
What made you, YOU.

+Quote Post
Gonzogoose
post Feb 1 2012, 09:56 AM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Apparently, certain sites, like CBR, USA Today, etc. were each given exclusive interviews with the various creators. There's a blog post with links on DC's blog, and those pieces do have additional art.

We've been pretty vocal on Zone 4 about how opposed we are to these, but from the company's standpoint why they make sense financially. I'll wait and see what others have to say about them.

We'll be discussing this on next week's Zone 4 as well.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Fred Lang
post Feb 1 2012, 03:58 PM
Post #6

Advanced Member

Member No.: 19,590

Adam Hughes is doing the art for the Dr. Manhattan one, so I'm a shoe-in for it.

I'll likely pick up every one of them just to have some echo of my wonderful Watchmen experience.

--------------------
Owner and Creator at PixelFigs

+Quote Post
Ron Fortier
post Feb 1 2012, 04:36 PM
Post #7

Member No.: 1,427

Like Brant said earlier, a few weeks back the Zone 4 team pretty much dissed this whole concept. We do plan on revisiting the subject now that books and teams have been assembled. We'll see if anyone has changed their opinion or had it modified. Stay tuned.

+Quote Post
Zodar
post Feb 2 2012, 12:12 PM
Post #8

Advanced Member

Member No.: 2,781

I've long said it's a bad idea from the standpoint that Watchmen works on it's own quite perfectly, why mess with that?

Then I saw the list of creators, and while I don't read everything they have all done, every single one of them is someone that I watch and notice what they are working on. This is a high calibre list of creators and you have to respect that. I wanted to blow them off and ignore it, but with who's working on it I simply can't.

And the argument for it that my local comic shop owner makes is that it raises interest in comics. If it rasied interet and sucked, yes, that would be bad (thanks Ang Lee Hulk film!), but with those creators you know it will be pretty darn good. Measure up to the original? Unlikely. But good? Certainly.

--------------------
Not the droid you are looking for.

+Quote Post
Ron Fortier
post Feb 2 2012, 03:14 PM
Post #9

Can't ever agree with that. I'd never buy anything by Brian Azzerilo...his stuff sucks to high heaven. Now Darwyn Cooke, there's a class act for sure.

+Quote Post
G-Man
post Feb 2 2012, 04:52 PM
Post #10

Member No.: 2,660

What I can agree with...is your thoughts about Brian Azzerilo.

How does this guy even have a job? Besides working at the local Quick Stop.

--------------------
"Reality is only for those who lack imagination" don't know who first said that....but it works for me!

+Quote Post
doombug
post Feb 2 2012, 10:34 PM
Post #11

Eric Ratcliffe

Member No.: 2,668

Wow, where's the hate on Azzerello coming from?

That Dr. 13 mini alone as well as the Elseworlds Joker OGN show that the man has an understanding of the medium story telling wise.

Not to mention the fact that he's writing a Rorschach mini is probably the perfect fit in all these announcements. unsure.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ron Fortier
post Feb 2 2012, 11:16 PM
Post #12

Eric, give me a break. The guy purposely writes eccentric stories that are difficult to follow, has absolutely no respect for any of the fans and is a publicity hound. Whatever he does is never about the story, its about promoting Brian and the more controversial he can be, the better. I've tried to read his stories and they were totally undecipherable. Easily one of the worst hacks in the business. No wonder DC paired him with the nut job Rorschach and the despicable Comedian. Both are ideally suited to this jerk. rolleyes.gif

PS= Eric, if you ever write that bad, I'll kick you in the butt.

This post has been edited by Ron Fortier: Feb 2 2012, 11:18 PM

+Quote Post
Mat Nastos
post Feb 2 2012, 11:25 PM
Post #13

Advanced Member

Member No.: 19,653

Was anyone else creeped out by that Doctor Manhattan cover?

--------------------

+Quote Post
G-Man
post Feb 3 2012, 03:19 AM
Post #14

Member No.: 2,660

QUOTE (Ron Fortier @ Feb 3 2012, 12:16 AM) *
Eric, give me a break. The guy purposely writes eccentric stories that are difficult to follow, has absolutely no respect for any of the fans and is a publicity hound. Whatever he does is never about the story, its about promoting Brian and the more controversial he can be, the better. I've tried to read his stories and they were totally undecipherable. Easily one of the worst hacks in the business. No wonder DC paired him with the nut job Rorschach and the despicable Comedian. Both are ideally suited to this jerk. rolleyes.gif

That Joker OGN has TERRIBLE!

Easily making my top ten list of things I wish I never wasted any time reading and I want that time back list.

--------------------
"Reality is only for those who lack imagination" don't know who first said that....but it works for me!

+Quote Post
doombug
post Feb 3 2012, 04:31 AM
Post #15

Eric Ratcliffe

Member No.: 2,668

QUOTE (Ron Fortier @ Feb 3 2012, 12:16 AM) *

I mean my personal favorite thing from him was that Dr. 13 mini that he did with Cliff Chang where he got to make fun of the big guys a little and play with some truly obscure characters.

I don't think he's a terrible writer, I've heard good things about his Wonder Woman run so far. I'm confused as to the publicity hound thing as well, as he kind of strikes me as the guy who does the least amount of press as possible.

I'm not completely defending the guy either as I don't know a huge portion of his work but I think there may be some confusion with Warren Ellis (who for the record I've only ever enjoyed Fell/Nextwave and Thunderbolts from)

Though I do understand why you prefer to not enjoy his work with the failed relaunch of the pulp universe that they tried last year. (The Spirit book was on the only one I was reading though)

And nope, not planning on writing like anyone. I'm inspired by a select group of writers but certainly never intending to write like any of them. tongue.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gonzogoose
post Feb 3 2012, 07:16 AM
Post #16

Advanced Member

I have never read one thing by Azzarello that I've liked. I'm not saying there's not good stuff by him out there, but in my opinion he needs to steer far and clear from superheroes. His runs on both Superman and Batman were abysmal, and I don't like the current Wonder Woman run either. His short in the Batman: Gotham Knight animated feature was terrible too.

Though I will say, having actually met him and sat in on an interview with him for the Gotham Knight release, I'd have to disagree with the publicity hound statement as well. He struck me as a bit reclusive.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Greg G.
post Feb 3 2012, 10:36 AM
Post #17

Advanced Member

Member No.: 19,808

So nobody here has read 100 Bullets?

It's pretty obvious to me Azarello would rather work on his creator owned stuff and the DCU/Superhero stuff is just a paycheck.

--------------------
You know, life is funny.
If you don't repeat the actions of your own success
You won't be successful
You gotta know your own formula, your own ingredients
What made you, YOU.

+Quote Post
Gordon_D
post Feb 3 2012, 10:58 AM
Post #18

Advanced Member

Member No.: 2,467

QUOTE (G-Man @ Feb 3 2012, 03:19 AM) *
That Joker OGN has TERRIBLE!

Easily making my top ten list of things I wish I never wasted any time reading and I want that time back list.

I have to admit - I liked 100 BULLETS, because the stories were a weird amalgam of crime comic and conspiracy novel.

However - and I hate to say this because it sounds a little dismissive - he's a writer that strikes me as being a one-trick pony. Put him in any other situation, and his flaws shine brightly.

(And that Joker OGN - definitely agree. I checked that book out of the library, and I still want my money and time back smile.gif)

--------------------
Tipping Sacred Cows since 2004 at http://www.blogthispal.com
More stuff can be found at http://www.gordondymowski.com

+Quote Post
Zodar
post Feb 3 2012, 11:31 AM
Post #19

Advanced Member

Member No.: 2,781

I'm not a fan of Azzarello myself and have been left cold by most of what I've read by him, though I will disagree on the Joker graphic novel. Sorry, I liked it guys. That said, I don't have interest in the books that he is doing.

But despite what you personally think about his skills (or personality) the fact remains that he does have a good sized fanbase and books by him sell. And are enjoyed by a good many people.

Do I personally like his work? No. Do I respect the power he has in the market? Yes. And both DC, and the comic book stores, want to sell books.

--------------------
Not the droid you are looking for.

+Quote Post
Gonzogoose
post Feb 3 2012, 11:41 AM
Post #20

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Greg G. @ Feb 3 2012, 11:36 AM) *
So nobody here has read 100 Bullets?

It's pretty obvious to me Azarello would rather work on his creator owned stuff and the DCU/Superhero stuff is just a paycheck.

No, I haven't at least. I know that series is his claim to fame, but I've never tried it. I only know him from his DC stuff.

And no one's denying his marketing power. He does have a fanbase, sure. So does Grant Morrison and I hate almost everything I've read by Morrison with a passion.

To each their own.

--------------------

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th July 2014 - 12:14 AM