Reply to this topicStart new topic
Comic Book Men
Gonzogoose
post Feb 13 2012, 10:30 AM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 589

Anyone catch the premiere last night? I enjoyed it. I doubt I could watch it long term, but since it's only like a 6 episode series, I think it'll be pretty fun to watch.

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Ron Fortier
post Feb 13 2012, 11:38 AM
Post #2

Member No.: 1,427

As expected, watched ONCE UPON A TIME, then my wife opted to watch a movie on cable. I'll most likely catch this On Demand later this week. Glad you liked it Brant.

+Quote Post
Gordon_D
post Feb 13 2012, 04:00 PM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 2,467

I watched this, and like you, Brant, I kind of liked it....the Antique Roadshow genre isn't quite my cup of tea, but at the very least, this isn't boring.

At the very least, it will make halfway decent filler on AMC until Mad Men....

--------------------
Tipping Sacred Cows since 2004 at http://www.blogthispal.com
More stuff can be found at http://www.gordondymowski.com

+Quote Post
G-Man
post Feb 13 2012, 04:53 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 2,660

I did record this last night and plan to watch it before recording RaynMan # 54 later tonight where I'm sure Brant and I will voice more comments.

--------------------
"Reality is only for those who lack imagination" don't know who first said that....but it works for me!

+Quote Post
Lisa Moore
post Feb 13 2012, 06:16 PM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Member No.: 3,037

I checked this out online today. Not bad, seems a lot like pawn stars for comics. I enjoyed it enough to put it on my list of shows to watch online while I work.

--------------------
-- Lisa
www.hueville.net

E-mail: lisa@just-flats.net

+Quote Post
G-Man
post Feb 13 2012, 07:18 PM
Post #6

I liked it. Reminded me a lot of my days behind the counter at Main Street Comics and Games...The Secret Stash was not the Comic Book Nirvana type store I thought it would be though....

--------------------
"Reality is only for those who lack imagination" don't know who first said that....but it works for me!

+Quote Post
PR-Scholtz
post Feb 16 2012, 01:16 AM
Post #7

Member No.: 19,839

kinda dug it, wish it was more about Kevin's friends talking comics and pop culture than Pawn Stars, geek edition.

the patrons that came in seemed kinda fake, but thats to be expected I guess, hope they add some regulars and discuss things more. the companion podcast was much more entertaining than the show, IMO.

+Quote Post
Ron Fortier
post Feb 16 2012, 08:51 AM
Post #8

Was hugely disappointed. Expected lots more fun and activity in a comic shop. Honestly, most of the shops I frequented back in New Hampshire were ten times more fun than this. And what's with that group bit where they all sit around the table talking about what we already saw. Sorry, amigos, I could be spending that hour reading a damn good book or listening to any Comic Related podcast. Comic Book Men is boring with a capital B.

This post has been edited by Ron Fortier: Feb 16 2012, 08:52 AM

+Quote Post
Gonzogoose
post Feb 16 2012, 09:11 AM
Post #9

Advanced Member

Ron, that's their podcast, which they show us clips of as the employees are relaying those events to Kevin Smith.

Like I said, I enjoyed it for what it was. Not something I could watch long term, but I didn't find it boring either.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ron Fortier
post Feb 16 2012, 12:03 PM
Post #10

Brant, I honestly thought I was in the minority when I posted that this morning. But you need to check out my FB page and see what kind of response I got from lots ...and lots..and lots of other comic colleagues. Seems like I was in the majority after all. cool.gif Hey, it does happen some times.

This post has been edited by Ron Fortier: Feb 16 2012, 12:03 PM

+Quote Post
ART BOWSHIER
post Feb 16 2012, 12:44 PM
Post #11

Advanced Member

Member No.: 19,991

Comic book Pawn Stars is right Lisa. I wasn't impressed! I was lead in by Walking Dead!!!!

+Quote Post
Gonzogoose
post Feb 16 2012, 01:13 PM
Post #12

Advanced Member

Ron, you're in the majority of people you know on Facebook. smile.gif

That said, it's not everyone's cup of tea, fine. I liked it okay. I didn't love it, didn't hate it.

It was ALWAYS supposed to be Pawn Stars/Auction Hunters/Insert other reality show, for comics. That's what it was marketed as.

I personally enjoyed their recounting the tales of the shop on the podcast interspersed throughout the episode.

Again, to each their own. smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ron Fortier
post Feb 16 2012, 03:00 PM
Post #13

Brant, many of those FB colleagues are also Comic Related members. tongue.gif Back atcha!

+Quote Post
G-Man
post Feb 16 2012, 03:20 PM
Post #14

I'm sorry that anybody watched Walking Dead before this.......me I liked it and I'm in as long as the show runs.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gonzogoose
post Feb 16 2012, 03:33 PM
Post #15

Advanced Member

QUOTE (G-Man @ Feb 16 2012, 04:20 PM) *
I'm sorry that anybody watched Walking Dead before this.......me I liked it and I'm in as long as the show runs.

Ron, even so, that's still a small portion of the viewing audience.

Most of the feedback I've seen has been like me or you. Either it was okay or people hated it. Very few loved it. Regardless, you're still sampling a very small percentage of viewers there, with respect, my friend. tongue.gif

But to fuel your take on it, I saw this today: http://www.newsarama.com/tv/hey-thats-my-c...ted-120216.html

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gordon_D
post Feb 16 2012, 03:43 PM
Post #16

Advanced Member

Member No.: 2,467

QUOTE (Gonzogoose @ Feb 16 2012, 03:33 PM) *
Most of the feedback I've seen has been like me or you. Either it was okay or people hated it. Very few loved it.

Ron/Brant,

You know, you're in big trouble when I jump in to serve as the voice of reason....

I was one of those people who was rather "blah" about the show - it wasn't horrible (I don't watch much reality TV, and found the Antique Roadshow-style format slightly interesting), but I really didn't care for the "cast".

To me, this show seems like some other shows - it's what a marketing/network exec thinks is going to appeal to the "geek" crowd, rather than actually creating something of value that appeals to everyone. It just hangs there, and is a good way to kill time....but other than that, quite honestly, there's better.

Is this a show I'm going to watch religiously? Nope.

Is this a show I can recommend? Nope.

Is this something I might watch at 3 am in a hotel room in a distant city when I can't sleep? Maybe, if there isn't a rerun of Biography happening....

And that's damning with faint praise.

If it's meant to appeal to a mass audience, well....it failed. Nothing there that you couldn't get elsewhere. Quite honestly, you're better off watching Masterpiece on PBS Sunday nights. (Especially since season two of Sherlock is coming....how's that for a plug?)

--------------------
Tipping Sacred Cows since 2004 at http://www.blogthispal.com
More stuff can be found at http://www.gordondymowski.com

+Quote Post
Gonzogoose
post Feb 16 2012, 03:47 PM
Post #17

Advanced Member

I will say one thing, Ron, in response to your email, I do wholeheartedly agree that the CR podcasts are MUCH more entertaining, I'll give you that. smile.gif

What I don't get is why everyone seems to think I loved it. I said I liked it. It was fun. If it was a full 24 episode season I could not see myself watching it every week. It's only 6 episodes, so I can commit to that. I'm not usually watching or doing anything else when it airs anyway, and it's something I could have on while I'm working. I just think calling it boring with a capital B is a bit much, but that's me.

Gordon, you and I simply don't have the same viewing tastes by and large, so that's fine. smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
G-Man
post Feb 16 2012, 05:31 PM
Post #18

Ahem-

I'm pretty sure I asked Brant what he thought of this show while we recorded the last episode of RaynMan (episode # 54 the All Frank episode airing Monday the 20th-shameless G-Man plug)

He said he LOVED it! Even said he thought it was better than the Green Lantern movie!!!!

(that's what you get for making me wear a bracelet!)

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gonzogoose
post Feb 16 2012, 06:03 PM
Post #19

Advanced Member

lol, Bill, you wouldn't be so down about the bracelet if you had insider info on that. wink.gif

And no, I most certainly did not say I loved it, as everyone will hear next Monday on RaynMan. wink.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
doombug
post Feb 16 2012, 09:02 PM
Post #20

Eric Ratcliffe

Member No.: 2,668

I think i'll stick to The Variants personally.

Just not sure I dig the Kevin Smith and friends hour. tongue.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th July 2014 - 03:41 PM