Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Wakefield Retires
Ron Fortier
post Feb 18 2012, 10:02 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,427

After 19 years of playing professional baseball, 17 of those with the Boston Red Sox, knuckle-ball pitcher Tim Wakefield retired yesterday at the new Jet Blue Ball Park in Ft.Myers Florida. He was pretty choked up as he said good-bye to baseball and the team he loved so much. Wakefield was always a class act and example to all the other players. He's a man of character and loyalty, rare traits these days. I'm sure I echo baseball fans everywhere in saying Good Luck, Tim, in whatever endeavors you choose to take on next. I'm sure no matter what they are, you will as ever remain a winner all the way.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
AaronSmith
post Feb 22 2012, 05:06 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 2,836

I hope Wakefield enjoys his retirement. I've always liked knuckleballers. They seem to be a dying breed. He had a very long, good career.

Although I'm a Yankees fans, I have a lot of respect for many of the Red Sox players, partly because I see them so often sinc ethey face the Yankees a lot. Wakefield was always interesting to watch. I remember a few years back a former Yankee, John Flaherty, signed with the Red Sox to become Wakefield's personal catcher. Poor Flaherty soon realized he couldn't catch the knuckleball and chose to retire instead! Now he's a commentator for some of the Yankees TV broadcasts.

+Quote Post
Ron Fortier
post Feb 22 2012, 07:54 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 1,427

Ha, fun story that, Aaron. What I always got a kick out was the fact that up until this year, Wake and catcher Jason Veritek were the two senior players on the team. Whereas Tek hated catching Wake which was why the Red Sox always had to find another catcher for him. Ironically Wake retires and now no word from Tek. He was invited as a non-team member to Spring Training and didn't show. No surprise that. Management has made overtures that they would love for him to retire and take a managers slot at one of the organizations minor league affiliates, but he hasn't made up his mind if he wants to keep playing or not. Hope he goes for the first option. He's not getting nay younger and I can easily see him as a Pitching Coach some day.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd December 2014 - 06:47 AM