Reply to this topicStart new topic
A question of ethics...?
wwi3313
post Mar 6 2012, 07:56 PM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,055

If you hired someone as a penciler, but you ended up having to rebuild the pages panel-by-panel, how would you credit the artist?

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Greg G.
post Mar 6 2012, 08:01 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 19,808

QUOTE (wwi3313 @ Mar 6 2012, 08:56 PM) *
If you hired someone as a penciler, but you ended up having to rebuild the pages panel-by-panel, how would you credit the artist?

I would still credit them as penciller if you're still using their original artwork, and in the future either find a different artist to work with or provide page layouts like Keith Giffen or Erik Larsen. It will save you both time down the road.

--------------------
You know, life is funny.
If you don't repeat the actions of your own success
You won't be successful
You gotta know your own formula, your own ingredients
What made you, YOU.

+Quote Post
wwi3313
post Mar 6 2012, 08:44 PM
Post #3

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Greg G. @ Mar 6 2012, 09:01 PM) *
I would still credit them as penciller if you're still using their original artwork, and in the future either find a different artist to work with or provide page layouts like Keith Giffen or Erik Larsen. It will save you both time down the road.

I actually provided layouts and granted the artist told me upfront that they weren't experienced in sequentials -- his illustration skills though are AMAZING so I was willing to work with him, because we ALL needed someone to get our foot in the door. But I don't think that every person is going to be so patient with him and I wouldn't want him to get a.) a big head for what he didn't do or worse b.) be considered for work he's not yet ready to take on.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Greg G.
post Mar 6 2012, 10:40 PM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Member No.: 19,808

QUOTE (wwi3313 @ Mar 6 2012, 09:44 PM) *
I actually provided layouts and granted the artist told me upfront that they weren't experienced in sequentials -- his illustration skills though are AMAZING so I was willing to work with him, because we ALL needed someone to get our foot in the door. But I don't think that every person is going to be so patient with him and I wouldn't want him to get a.) a big head for what he didn't do or worse b.) be considered for work he's not yet ready to take on.

Have you spoken to him about this?

You can help prevent the creation of a monster if you just address him directly. At the very least you can provide constructive feedback and help the artist improve.

How far from the mark were the finished pencils from the layouts? huh.gif

--------------------
You know, life is funny.
If you don't repeat the actions of your own success
You won't be successful
You gotta know your own formula, your own ingredients
What made you, YOU.

+Quote Post
wwi3313
post Mar 6 2012, 11:20 PM
Post #5

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Greg G. @ Mar 6 2012, 11:40 PM) *
Have you spoken to him about this?

You can help prevent the creation of a monster if you just address him directly. At the very least you can provide constructive feedback and help the artist improve.

How far from the mark were the finished pencils from the layouts? huh.gif

Quite a ways, but that's not necessarily what's bad. Like I said, I knew he had never done sequentials when I hired him, so I didn't mind doing the layouts to begin with and honestly felt that he was attempting to find his own feet by deviating from what I had laid out. Because in all honesty, he's gotta get comfortable with page layout, sequencing/pacing and all that all on his own if he's going to active make comics. But, there was a lack of fundamentals -- panel placement/reading order, sizing issues, drawing on 8.5x11 sheets of paper -- the latter resulted in me getting "pages" that were 22x55" and at 72dpi (not kidding).

Now, the "monster ego" thing is just a statement of possibility -- I'm more concerned with someone seeing what I was able to put together, think that's actually HIS sequential skill level and try to hire him for it. That doesn't seem to bode well for my integrity, his integrity or any real success he might attain if he wants to keep working. So my honest plan is to use a different title than "penciler" to give that heads up that while he definite drew it and did so VERY WELL, sequentially speaking, he's a ways off from being able to handle pages outright.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gonzogoose
post Mar 7 2012, 02:25 AM
Post #6

Advanced Member

Member No.: 589

Credit him as penciler and yourself with breakdowns (or layouts) and assists? That's how I'd probably do it.

And as for the size thing, I've actually received pages from pros that were 72dpi but extremely large. That could just be ignorance on scanner use or something.

--------------------

+Quote Post
wwi3313
post Mar 7 2012, 01:39 PM
Post #7

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Gonzogoose @ Mar 7 2012, 03:25 AM) *
Credit him as penciler and yourself with breakdowns (or layouts) and assists? That's how I'd probably do it.

And as for the size thing, I've actually received pages from pros that were 72dpi but extremely large. That could just be ignorance on scanner use or something.

And that's rather close to what I'll do. I was just curious if that was a general consensus or if it was just my own particular brand of morality at work. Thanks for all the feedback, guys!

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th July 2014 - 09:10 AM