IPB
MORE @ MARK ELLIS INK: HOME BLOG PROJECTS GALLERY

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Justice Machine "Object of Power" HC in March 2012?
dan2448
post Mar 10 2012, 04:55 AM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 19,996

I noticed just now on the Moonstone blog (link below) that, as of this week, the "Justice Machine: Object of Power" hardcover is apparently at the printer. I can't find out much more about it, though.

Moonstone Blog

Various internet sites have it as a "March release," with a few being more specific and stating March 14. I also see that, on Amazon, it is listed for sale for about $30, a discount from what it says will be the $39.99 list price.

If Mark Ellis happens to see this post, I was wondering if he might be able to provide any more information here about the book, such as its page count and contents, and its official release date.

This post has been edited by dan2448: Mar 10 2012, 04:56 AM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Mark Ellis
post Apr 2 2012, 07:47 AM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 2,619

Sorry, I missed this question.

Due to some production bugaboos, the hardcover has been rescheduled. I honestly don't know a release date.

--------------------

+Quote Post
dan2448
post Apr 10 2012, 07:42 AM
Post #3

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Mark Ellis @ Apr 2 2012, 06:47 AM) *
Due to some production bugaboos, the hardcover has been rescheduled. I honestly don't know a release date.

Thank you very much for your reply, Mark, even if it's disappointing news. But it's consistent with the fact that the HC is no longer listed as being "at the printer" in the most recent post on the Moonstone blog (last week), but neither is it listed as an "upcoming release" on the Moonstone website.

I look forward to reading this "Object of Power" story, whenever it might be published.

On hindsight, I suppose the publication 'challenges' to date are pretty much consistent with the 'complicated' publishing history of The Justice Machine in general over the last 30 years.

This post has been edited by dan2448: Apr 10 2012, 07:47 AM

+Quote Post
Mark Ellis
post Apr 10 2012, 02:01 PM
Post #4

Advanced Member

It will be out in the near future...I can assure you of that much.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Rcarter
post May 1 2012, 10:43 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 20,358

QUOTE (Mark Ellis @ Apr 10 2012, 03:01 PM) *

Glad to hear that! Is it going to include the Preston Asevedo special, as well as the three-issue mini? If not, any chance that we'll ever see that special?

+Quote Post
Mark Ellis
post May 4 2012, 06:29 AM
Post #6

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Rcarter @ May 2 2012, 12:43 AM) *
Glad to hear that! Is it going to include the Preston Asevedo special, as well as the three-issue mini? If not, any chance that we'll ever see that special?

No and no.

Sorry.

--------------------

+Quote Post
dan2448
post Jun 8 2012, 06:32 PM
Post #7

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Mark Ellis @ Apr 10 2012, 01:01 PM) *

Hi Mark: I was just wondering whether you might have any further insight on the upcoming release date? (I just checked and don't see anything new about it on the Moonstone website, or on the Moonstone Blog, or on the Moonstone Facebook page.)

+Quote Post
Mark Ellis
post Jun 11 2012, 07:57 AM
Post #8

Advanced Member

QUOTE (dan2448 @ Jun 8 2012, 08:32 PM) *
Hi Mark: I was just wondering whether you might have any further insight on the upcoming release date? (I just checked and don't see anything new about it on the Moonstone website, or on the Moonstone Blog, or on the Moonstone Facebook page.)

As you've probably deduced, the reason there's nothing new about The Justice Machine: Object of Power, on anything Moonstone-related is because the book is no longer coming out from Moonstone.

I'll most likely make an announcement as to the particulars of what we have planned for it in the next month or so...here and on my Facebook page.

I own The Justice Machine property so it makes sense that I'm the one to determine what happens to it and with it...I do know that relying on the obsolete Diamond/retail store dynamic to render a final decision is essentially suicide at this juncture.

I knew that years ago, so it's not a recent epiphany on my part. I just wish certain other people had come to the same realization over the last couple of years.

Anyway, between my wife Melissa and I, we probably have fifty years worth of experience in publishing. I'll expand on all of that later, if necessary.

For right now, I can state positively that the next Justice Machine project is the High Gear Edition, Volume Two compilation--and unlike Volume One, this one is in full, digitally restored, digitally enhanced color!

It is currently in production and it looks fabulous, if I say so myself. And I do.

Volume Two leads directly to the events of Object of Power.

Although you don't need to read the one to understand the other, it's just kind of a nice lead-in.

After that, we have to plans to compile the earliest or "Classic" Justice Machine stories as TPB volumes...here's a sneak peek at the mock-up of one of the covers.

We're dedicated to The Justice Machine...with The Avengers movie turning out to be the blockbuster of all blockbusters, there's obviously a great market for super-teams...and I happen to consider The Justice Machine one of the most unique, interesting and worthy of revival--in whatever form.

--------------------

+Quote Post
dan2448
post Jun 12 2012, 09:16 AM
Post #9

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Mark Ellis @ Jun 11 2012, 06:57 AM) *
As you've probably deduced, the reason there's nothing new about The Justice Machine: Object of Power, on anything Moonstone-related is because the book is no longer coming out from Moonstone. I'll most likely make an announcement as to the particulars of what we have planned for it in the next month or so...here and on my Facebook page.

I own The Justice Machine property so it makes sense that I'm the one to determine what happens to it and with it...I do know that relying on the obsolete Diamond/retail store dynamic to render a final decision is essentially suicide at this juncture.

For right now, I can state positively that the next Justice Machine project is the High Gear Edition, Volume Two compilation--and unlike Volume One, this one is in full, digitally restored, digitally enhanced color!

Thanks very much for the update, Mark. I'm disappointed that Object of Power won't be released soon. But I think that having the back issues available in TPB form before that new mini-series is published probably makes the most sense, because it gives new readers (or long-lapsed readers) an easy way to get caught up on the prior storylines.

I'm sure that you know 1,000 times more about publishing than I do, but I wonder whether you might've considered using Kickstarter to fund the Object of Power hardcover collection?

+Quote Post
Mark Ellis
post Jun 14 2012, 06:47 AM
Post #10

Advanced Member

QUOTE (dan2448 @ Jun 12 2012, 11:16 AM) *
I'm sure that you know 1,000 times more about publishing than I do, but I wonder whether you might've considered using Kickstarter to fund the Object of Power hardcover collection?

Actually, Dan...we've done a bit more than consider it. Stay tuned. wink.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
SkeleTony
post Jul 13 2012, 04:46 AM
Post #11

Member No.: 2,688

QUOTE (Mark Ellis @ Jun 14 2012, 07:47 AM) *
Actually, Dan...we've done a bit more than consider it. Stay tuned. wink.gif

Man. The Machine just can't catch a break. I just sent yet another email to Moonstone asking about JM before I came here and saw this news.

Edit: BTW let me state, for what this is worth, that I am well against using the Jack Kirby piece as a cover for the TPB books. In fact I am against using most of these well overused JM art pieces (ESPECIALLY the John Byrne cover from the Noble series...my ****ing word it seems that cover has been used on multiple JM books, advertisements, portfolio pieces, etc. for 30 years now!) for a few reasons. 1) We will be getting our fill of the older artwork inside the books anyway and inside the books would be a much better place to re-present old art pieces from Kirby, Byrne, Grell etc. 2) Both to attract new readers and to appease us old timers who are already extremely familiar with the old art pieces, I think new cover art would be a very good thing. You don't need 'name recognition' artists to do such either. A great cover by Del Barras or new art from Jason Pearson or Daryl Banks would be great...or ANY independent artist worth his or her salt, would be much appreciated.

This post has been edited by SkeleTony: Jul 13 2012, 04:58 AM

--------------------
"I am in a very peculiar business; I travel all over the world telling people what they should already know." - James "The Amazing" Randi

+Quote Post
Mark Ellis
post Jul 13 2012, 01:02 PM
Post #12

Advanced Member

As far as I know, the Kirby piece has never been presented in color, but I tacitly agree with your feelings about the Byrne cover.

However, some new attention is suddenly swirling around the Justice Machine.. in the past two weeks I've been contacted by two other publishers about doing something with them.

No solid offers have been made yet--but it's an encouraging sign.

Something tells me though that this renewed interest has more to do with the thundering success of The Avengers movie than another Justice Machine comic series.

This post has been edited by Mark Ellis: Jul 13 2012, 01:03 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
SkeleTony
post Jul 22 2012, 03:37 PM
Post #13

Member No.: 2,688

QUOTE (Mark Ellis @ Jul 13 2012, 02:02 PM) *
As far as I know, the Kirby piece has never been presented in color, but I tacitly agree with your feelings about the Byrne cover.

However, some new attention is suddenly swirling around the Justice Machine.. in the past two weeks I've been contacted by two other publishers about doing something with them.

No solid offers have been made yet--but it's an encouraging sign.

Something tells me though that this renewed interest has more to do with the thundering success of The Avengers movie than another Justice Machine comic series.

Hmmm...that could be the truth. Kind of sad if that is the case but if it allows for us to get more Justice Machine then I won't complain too much.

--------------------
"I am in a very peculiar business; I travel all over the world telling people what they should already know." - James "The Amazing" Randi

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2014 - 07:30 PM