Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
John Carter of Mars!!
Ron Fortier
post Mar 14 2012, 10:53 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,427

In 1912 perhaps the greatest pulp writer of all times, Edgar Rice Burroughs wrote "A Princess of Mars." It is the story of an ex-Confederate solder, who after the war is magically transported to the dying planet of Mars and there lives the most incredible adventure ever penned in the science fiction genre. He meets the four limbed green men of Mars, which they call Barsoom and becomes their ally, uniting the tribes. Then he meets the beautiful Deja Thoris, of the red humans of Barsoom, a princess of the city of Helium. By the end of the book, John Carter battles an entire world to win her hand in one of the grandest, most amazing and original stories ever penned.

"A Princess of Mars" was such a success, it launched many sequels and they were just as popular and Burroughs other series, about some Ape Guy named Tarzan. It was also the inspiration from which new generations continued to develop the field of sci-fi and hits like Star Wars & Avatar all owe their very existence to this book and its sequel.

Now, a hundred years after its publication, Pixar and Disney Studios have a produced a fantastic, wonderful, beautiful movie that is so true to the original, it made this life-long fan cry by the time he left the theater. This was a book I first read at 13 and have waited 52 yrs to see on the silver screen. And now that it is there, starring Taylor Kitsch as John Carter and the beautiful Lynn Collins as Deja Thoris, the film seems to be under attack by all the cynics of the world who simply do not want it to succeed. The people who hate heroes would prefer you did not see this movie, that you listened to the bogus claims that is is a box office failure. IT IS NOT!!! Fans across the world have embraced John Carter and are seeing it multiple times. We need you to join that crusade, to help make this movie such a fantastic hit, Disney will have no choice but to demand a sequel.

Do you still believe in heroes? If you do, go see John Carter and have a blast. Then go see it again.
Thanks, from that 13 year old.

This post has been edited by Ron Fortier: Mar 14 2012, 02:18 PM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Glen Davis
post Mar 14 2012, 11:51 AM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 2,419

QFT

+Quote Post
Cary
post Mar 14 2012, 01:48 PM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 2,957

Like you Ron I was SO stoked just hearing they were finally making this movie, and now I can't wait to see the final result. I get off the boat in a mere 24 hours sir, and it's on my list of things to do upon arrival at the casa!

--------------------

+Quote Post
cougar18
post Mar 14 2012, 02:36 PM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Member No.: 19,981

QUOTE (Cary @ Mar 14 2012, 01:48 PM) *
Like you Ron I was SO stoked just hearing they were finally making this movie, and now I can't wait to see the final result. I get off the boat in a mere 24 hours sir, and it's on my list of things to do upon arrival at the casa!

Definitely go see it guys. The more who see it, the greater the demand for a sequel.

I think the movie looks really cool, but I fear it may suffer the same fate as The Rocketeer, a movie that also had the Disney label, and despite being a rollicking movie (IMO, I even have the soundtrack on my mp3player) was seen as a 'Disney' movie, and, in addition to competing against T-2, suffered for having the WD label. Funnily enough, the movie is garnering a heck load of box office outside of the states, which either A) means people not from the US are cultured and do not look at labels ;P, or cool.gif means that the movie was marketed all wrong in the US and the trailers outside of the US are much more better at selling the film. I'm inclined to think it is B (I would not stand by such a broad statement as A, cause that would be 'ignant.)
Twould be a massive pity if the movie did not do well, because it reminds me of alot of the movies I loved as a kid.
The kind that used SFX when it mattered, not because they could.

+Quote Post
Ron Fortier
post Mar 14 2012, 05:58 PM
Post #5

Honestly, my friends who have seen it twice say they enjoyed it even MORE the second viewing. And I can totally buy that, as having seen it this past week, I'm going nuts recalling the action sequences that had me applauding and so wound up. Knowing I'm going back Monday to see it again, has be re-excited all over again.
People....do not pass up seeing John Carter in theaters. Yeah, DVD's and big screen TVs are cool, but this is a classic in the making. Don't be the only ones here at CR who didn't get that big silver screen experience.

+Quote Post
AaronSmith
post Mar 14 2012, 07:23 PM
Post #6

Advanced Member

Member No.: 2,836

As of now, I'm planning on seeing it tomorrow afternoon.

+Quote Post
Ron Fortier
post Mar 15 2012, 02:08 PM
Post #7

Way to go Aaron, and be sure to read Gordon Dymowski's excellent blog posted here today for his dead review of just how wonderful this movie is. His only misstep is repeating the fallacy of the film's overall failure. That's part of a truly cynical conspiracy by owners of certain media groups who have vested money interest in Star Wars & Avatar and clearly are fudging the true numbers so you won't go see it. Bottom line is, JOHN CARTER is a whopping hit and more and more fans are going to see it multiple times. A group has started a fan revolution on Facbebook called, Take Me Back To Barsoom, with the single intent to convince Disney to green light sequels.

Finally, if you think Captain Ron is just ranting, the National Enquirer wrote a scathing article today exposing the conspiracy to crush this great movie today. You can find it on-line. Time for all of us who love good, wholesome action adventure movies to stand our ground and support JOHN CARTER.

+Quote Post
AaronSmith
post Mar 15 2012, 03:10 PM
Post #8

Advanced Member

Member No.: 2,836

Just got home from the theatre. Loved it and can't think of anything to complain about, which is rare for me! The actors were well cast, the action sequences were fun, the effects were fine, and I'm hoping for a sequel. Also, it was great to see Ciaran Hinds and James Purefoy together again (ROME was one of my favorite TV series).

Driving home, I was thinking about how many things in the last 100 years of fiction have been inspired by Carter and it got me wondering how many people with no knowledge of the history of science-fiction and fantasy watch the movie and then proclaim how much of the story was taken from Star Wars and/or Superman without realizing that it's actually the reverse!

+Quote Post
cougar18
post Mar 15 2012, 08:00 PM
Post #9

Advanced Member

Member No.: 19,981

Same thing happened when Lord of the Rings came out. Folks were like 'They stole their ideas from Star Wars!!!' not noting the fact that Star Wars came out 30 years after the original series of books.

+Quote Post
Ron Fortier
post Mar 23 2012, 03:27 PM
Post #10

Just came home from seeing it a second time....and LOVED IT TWICE AS MUCH!!! This movie is making its way up my all-time favorite list fast.

+Quote Post
Ron Fortier
post Mar 30 2012, 07:07 PM
Post #11

Just got the music score disc in the mail today. Yahoo. Music is great. And please, be sure to listen to Zone 4 Podcast episdoe 159 as Gordon and yours truly go the extra mile for this awesome movie.

+Quote Post
Ron Fortier
post Apr 2 2012, 08:09 AM
Post #12

And now Amazon is starting to take advance orders for the Blu-Ray DVD disc set. Ha. I am so there. But remember, it IS still playing in theaters, so GO SEE IT!!

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th December 2014 - 12:16 PM