Reply to this topicStart new topic
Arrow, CW TV Show Based on Green Arrow
cougar18
post Mar 19 2012, 01:47 PM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 19,981

What I find interesting is that this guy has a goatee, similar to Neal Adams original re-design of the character.

Costume looks cool too, not too much changes to the Smallville one.

Image is from here.

EW online
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Ron Fortier
post Mar 19 2012, 02:43 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 1,427

So we're getting a Green Arrow TV series and Hawkeye in Avengers movie. Looks like the archers are doing good these days. tongue.gif

+Quote Post
Greg G.
post Mar 19 2012, 08:56 PM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 19,808

Can't see squat. Too dark. Too small.

I'll give the show a watch when it comes to Netflix.

I'm also refusing to acknowledge the terrible Ultimized Hawkeye in the Avengers movie and Marvel's 616 continuity. I demand my pointy purple mask and loin cloth! tongue.gif

--------------------
You know, life is funny.
If you don't repeat the actions of your own success
You won't be successful
You gotta know your own formula, your own ingredients
What made you, YOU.

+Quote Post
doombug
post Mar 19 2012, 09:31 PM
Post #4

Eric Ratcliffe

Member No.: 2,668

QUOTE (Greg G. @ Mar 19 2012, 10:56 PM) *
Can't see squat. Too dark. Too small.

I'll give the show a watch when it comes to Netflix.

I'm also refusing to acknowledge the terrible Ultimized Hawkeye in the Avengers movie and Marvel's 616 continuity. I demand my pointy purple mask and loin cloth! tongue.gif

I am asking this seriously because everyone knows how huge of a Hawkeye fan I am:

You really think that could worked at all on the big screen? Really?! blink.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Greg G.
post Mar 20 2012, 10:28 PM
Post #5

Advanced Member

QUOTE (doombug @ Mar 19 2012, 11:31 PM) *
I am asking this seriously because everyone knows how huge of a Hawkeye fan I am:

You really think that could worked at all on the big screen? Really?! blink.gif

My position will always be: Spend money on it and make it work.

Obviously if it's phoned in it would look terrible. However I'm sick of comic fans who just roll over and accept the Hollywood party line for no good reason.

Show me it will not work, then come up with an alternative.

Doesn't really matter. The movies are a crazy amalgam of 616/Ultimate lines so. . .

I'm just annoyed that now Hawkeye also looks lame in the 616 comics. Keep that garbage in the Ultimates.

--------------------
You know, life is funny.
You won't be successful
What made you, YOU.

+Quote Post
doombug
post Mar 20 2012, 11:47 PM
Post #6

Eric Ratcliffe

Member No.: 2,668

QUOTE (Greg G. @ Mar 21 2012, 12:28 AM) *
My position will always be: Spend money on it and make it work.

Obviously if it's phoned in it would look terrible. However I'm sick of comic fans who just roll over and accept the Hollywood party line for no good reason.

Doesn't really matter. The movies are a crazy amalgam of 616/Ultimate lines so. . .

I'm just annoyed that now Hawkeye also looks lame in the 616 comics. Keep that garbage in the Ultimates.

Because Hawkeye is totally known to stick with just 1 single costume for more than a few years, even Ultimate wise right? tongue.gif

And once again, being a huge Hawkeye fan even spending money to try and made that Cowl look good, there was no chance it would look good on the big screen. I swear I've seen him in a pair of ballistic glasses and that makes sense for the movieverse.

I swear Cap is only going to have that helmet of his for like 10 minutes of the movie.

Sometimes things just don't translate well to live action. Hawkeye's wearing his comic gear in Earth's mightiest heroes gear.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Greg G.
post Mar 21 2012, 07:00 AM
Post #7

Advanced Member

QUOTE (doombug @ Mar 21 2012, 01:47 AM) *
I swear Cap is only going to have that helmet of his for like 10 minutes of the movie.

As long as it's not insufferable / grating like Tobey Maguire-Man or Michael Keatonman.

You know those movies where the celebrities refuse to keep their mask on. Even in situations where it potentially compromises the whole point of a secret identity, because they're a big time celebrity and they need more face time.

Or how about Robert Downey Jr.Man? Do you recall the whole end scene that contradicts the logic of how the armor is assembled on him? Mainly the helmet that is constructed by a frame work below the jawline, but later in the film the helmet is easily removed to reveal ROBERT DOWNEY JR.! Because I had forgotten it was Robert Downey Jr. in there and needed to be reminded. However the most problematic part of this is when the helmet is ripped off and Roberty Downey Jr.'s head is still attached to his body. Funny thing that was, seeing as how the helmet was assembled over him at the jaw line.

Establishing firm rules and then tossing them out of the window for convenience absolutely destroys my suspension of disbelief.

More important to me, this is a reason Hollywood may want to seek out unknown talent rather than big names. Give me an actor that will inhabit the character, and not a character that's just another resume builder for the leading man / woman machine. By the middle of Spider-Man 2 the entire city had seemingly seen Peter Parker's face.

What's the point of a secret identity?

Don't get me started on the atrocious CGI which was the other atrocity of the Tobey Maguire-Man movies.

Sometimes things just don't translate well to live action.

Oh ye of little faith.

Until they do that, you're just towing the party line.

This post has been edited by Greg G.: Mar 21 2012, 07:01 AM

--------------------
You know, life is funny.
You won't be successful
What made you, YOU.

+Quote Post
cougar18
post Mar 22 2012, 07:43 AM
Post #8

Advanced Member

I agree with you on the Spider-man movies, Greg. I felt alot of the plot holes were too gaping for me to ignore, and I think it says alot that a book that can cost 3-4 dollars, to quote Keith Giffen, can be far more interesting and develloped than a multi million dollar movie.

Walking Dead proved that one can make a great, character driven show, without spending hundreds of millions of dollars. Instead, focus on the writing and everything else will follow.

+Quote Post
Gonzogoose
post Oct 10 2012, 05:55 PM
Post #9

Advanced Member

Member No.: 589

CW's ARROW debuts tonight in just minutes. Who's going to be watching?

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ron Fortier
post Oct 10 2012, 07:26 PM
Post #10

Me too!!!

+Quote Post
Gonzogoose
post Oct 10 2012, 08:22 PM
Post #11

Advanced Member

Well let me jump in here and say that I enjoyed it. Was it the best thing I've ever seen? No. Did it have some missteps? Yes. But it had great actors, a cool plot and some mystery and subterfuge throughout. I loved the opening with him on the island and I actually like the fact that he is not Batman here, he's much more willing to go that extra step. That adds a different dimension to this character that I really like. And there were some nice teases for some villains that might pop up throughout that I really appreciated as well. And the twist at the end? Very cool.

--------------------

+Quote Post
cougar18
post Oct 10 2012, 09:23 PM
Post #12

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Gonzogoose @ Oct 10 2012, 08:22 PM) *
Well let me jump in here and say that I enjoyed it. Was it the best thing I've ever seen? No. Did it have some missteps? Yes. But it had great actors, a cool plot and some mystery and subterfuge throughout. I loved the opening with him on the island and I actually like the fact that he is not Batman here, he's much more willing to go that extra step. That adds a different dimension to this character that I really like. And there were some nice teases for some villains that might pop up throughout that I really appreciated as well. And the twist at the end? Very cool.

Please, No spoilers. 'Thankfully Gonzo has avoided them, but it won't be on until the 22nd over here, so any spoilers are, well, gonna spoil it.

PLEASE, for the love of all that's holy, please don't spoil the show for us.
Cos this is one of the few shows I have been looking forward to besides the return of The Walking Dead.

+Quote Post
Ron Fortier
post Oct 11 2012, 08:24 AM
Post #13

No spoilers Cougar, my friend....but....I LOVED IT!!! Wow, fastest hour on TV so far this year. This thing moved in hyper-drive!! Expect lots of discussion on Zone 4 about this one. wink.gif

+Quote Post
cougar18
post Oct 11 2012, 12:37 PM
Post #14

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Ron Fortier @ Oct 11 2012, 08:24 AM) *
No spoilers Cougar, my friend....but....I LOVED IT!!! Wow, fastest hour on TV so far this year. This thing moved in hyper-drive!! Expect lots of discussion on Zone 4 about this one. wink.gif

Thanks Ron. I am looking forward to this show, because I love dedication to a role, and Stephen Ammell seems as dedicated as one can imagine to the role, and that is something I always admire.
Actually I have to say that Comicrelated, in general, nearly always avoid spoiling anything, which is why I enjoy these forums. Not like other boards....

Really looking forward to this. And I've never followed a Green Arrow book outside of Justice League. Gonna have to start getting some trades or comics or something.

+Quote Post
cougar18
post Oct 24 2012, 06:12 PM
Post #15

Advanced Member

QUOTE (cougar18 @ Oct 11 2012, 12:37 PM) *
Thanks Ron. I am looking forward to this show, because I love dedication to a role, and Stephen Ammell seems as dedicated as one can imagine to the role, and that is something I always admire.
Actually I have to say that Comicrelated, in general, nearly always avoid spoiling anything, which is why I enjoy these forums. Not like other boards....

Really looking forward to this. And I've never followed a Green Arrow book outside of Justice League. Gonna have to start getting some trades or comics or something.

*************WARNING*****************

SPOILERS ALERT**********SPOILERS ALERT******************

Okay, first of all, I was very pleasantly surprised by the show, and I found that yes, it did go by rather quickly, not too quickly, but enough to leave me wanting more. Which is good.
The costume was well thought out, I was kinda missing the mask element of it, but I like that they went with a practical solution, the green face paint across the eyes. Very clever, and it worked very well. What I hope we will see more of is the growth of Oliver from party boy who is selfish for his own needs, to the hero who cares about others. We are seeing his old life with his old friend, and his family, and in alot of ways, we see he has become a similar person to the guy Laurel wanted him to be. Bar the extreme line on violence.

I noted how the limo scene was similar to Batman Begins, but I think the show wears its influences on its sleeves. Even mocking itsself before anyone else gets a chance to. I mean, the joke about Lost and the obvious references to how both shows employ the element of an Island (It's when his friend starts talking about the ending of Lost, as in 'They were all dead.')

Some things I noticed, and possible future storylines: Detective Lance, when meeting Tommy Merlyn, said 'Don't you have a date to roofie?' After he said this line, Merlyn admiring Ollie's sister, seemed alot more creepy. The skills Ollie developed, as well as his aforementioned heroics are already going to form the background of the series, and I am looking forward to all this.
There is a bit of 'Revenge' thrown into the show, but it works on a different element. Instead of seeking revenge on people who wronged him, he is going after people who made him his former self.
It's a really nice change, and rather clever.

OVerall, very impressed. And I think Ammell is a very strong lead. He plays the before/ after Oliver and Arrow roles very well.

+Quote Post
Gonzogoose
post Feb 27 2013, 06:28 PM
Post #16

Advanced Member

Tonight on ARROW, Deadshot returns!

From DC:

AIM FOR JUSTICE!

ARROW “DEAD TO RIGHTS” EPISODE ON 2/27

Tune in tonight at 8pm on The CW to catch the newest episode of ARROW, written by DC Entertainment’s Chief Creative Officer, Geoff Johns. The show promises to be action-packed, complete with the return of Deadshot and fan-favorite China White. The lethal duo join together to target one of the show’s most mysterious characters and their actions cause serious repercussions throughout Starling City.

Tune in Tonight at 8/7c on The CW

If you want to read more about the episode and watch a preview head over here:

http://www.dccomics.com/videos/arrow-dead-...w?click=TVclick

Also...

ARROW DIGITAL COMIC — AVAILABLE TODAY

Discover new mysteries, plotlines, and dive deeper into the world of ARROW. Written by the show’s creators, Marc Guggenheim and Andrew Kriesberg.

http://www.readdcentertainment.com/Arrow-2...lick=DCDIGclick

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th July 2014 - 02:17 AM