Reply to this topicStart new topic
Assailant Comics is officially open for business!, AssailantComics.com
charltonsect
post Apr 3 2012, 09:07 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 20,294

Just wanted to announce the opening of the site - http://AssailantComics.com

This is kinda my baby. Over the last year it went from idea to script to pencils/inks/colors/letters and now I have something to share. The site is what it is. I'm not a web designer and did the best I could. haha. It wasn't easy. It actually kinda sucked. BUT.. it's up and it works, and that counts for something I suppose. You probably know most of this if you read my thread about my blog.

The first two issues of my ongoing series, "Binary Gray" are available in digital format, with print coming in about two weeks. Not to mention, miscellaneous Assailant merchandise.

In addition, there's a 12-page preview of Binary Gray #1 that I hope you guys will check out.

Here's the pitch for the book (I suck at pitches)..

Alex Gray is down on his luck until the day an accident at his job as an IT Technician grants him the extraordinary ability to communicate with any electronic device! But will Alex use his new powers for good or to exact vengeance upon his enemies?

Elements of both Classic and Modern era comics collide in this super hero action-drama with a biting sense of humor.

Anyway.. that's it. Hopefully you guys like it. I appreciate any feedback!

Binary Gray #3 and Sleepless #1 (my short story book) are currently in the works! Binary Gray #1 is also available on Graphicly. #2 will be there shortly!

Don't forget! CR's own Brant Fowler did an AMAZING job on the lettering! Thanks again Brant! If you think the book sucks, it has nothing to do with Brant. tongue.gif

Thanks!

Chris

--------------------
Check out my books at AssailantComics.com !!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
charltonsect
post Apr 15 2012, 11:25 AM
Post #2

first review for Binary Gray #1 and #2 are up! 4 out of 5 stars!

http://investcomics.com/reviews/comic-book...binary-gray-1-2

If anyone is in the Columbus area, I'll be at SPACE next weekend! April 21st-22nd!

--------------------

+Quote Post
uphillbrian
post Apr 21 2012, 11:40 PM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 19,728

i'm in your neighborhood. What part of the city are you in?

--------------------

+Quote Post
Cary
post Apr 22 2012, 01:22 AM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Member No.: 2,957

Congrats! pretty nice looking website from what I can see here, very clean and it loads easy which is nice for those of us with slower connections. smile.gif

I will say you probably want to optimize your PDF download a bit. The 12 page preview you're giving away is an insane 13.4 mb. You shouldn't have that big a file size even at 24 pages, more like 3-4 megs for the full length. Acrobat has all manner of optimization features so play with that a bit, it'll save you server space. When I get it down I'll check out the book and let you know some feedback on that as well.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Cary
post Apr 22 2012, 02:51 AM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Member No.: 2,957

Ok I'm back! I got the PDF down and checked it, and really enjoyed it! The art style is awesome! It reminds me of a bit of Neil Adams from way back in the day with some Brent Anderson thrown in there for good measure. I could see an inconsistency here and there but nothing I'd get all up in arms about by any means. Definitely nothing distracting or glaring. I love how the artist breaks the panel angles and zoom up throughout the story. So few people bother with that these days and I really enjoy that. Not sure if that was all the artist or if the script called for it, but either way, well done all around on that.

Story wise I think you're moving things along nicely, at least in the preview section thus far. I saw in the review where the guy mentioned your main character shouldn't be reaching into a server like that, but having a ton of friends who work IT I can tell you they do in fact do that all the time, so I wouldn't sweat that comment at all.

As an overall package I'd say it looks pretty good. The cover would probably be the roughest part of the book if I had to point at one thing that might be improved. Not that it's a bad concept, but it looks like it got stuck half way between being fully painted and traditional comic art. Like you took pencils straight to colors in other words. I get the symbolism and all, but still it just didn't jump out at me, you know? A cover should punch me in the face and force me to pick a comic up.

Anyway, that's what I got man. Great looking stuff thus far! Can't wait to see what comes next!

--------------------

+Quote Post
charltonsect
post Apr 27 2012, 06:33 AM
Post #6

Thank you for the feedback! Sorry it took me so long to reply. I was at SPACE this weekend and came back with pneumonia. Pretty fun stuff. I really appreciate your comments and I'm glad you liked the book. The print copies are gorgeous and the book did very well at SPACE. I'm pretty excited to see how it will do at the bigger conventions I'm going to this year.

As an IT guy myself, I hear you on reaching into a server cabinet. It's part of the job. haha.

Regarding the cover, the first issue is actually a play on a famous Harry Houdini poster. I actually have it hanging in my office, but the cover artist came up with that all on his own and I was pretty impressed with it. So yeah.. I know it doesn't pop like a traditional cover, but it has a special meaning for me. The variant covers for issue #1 are already half gone, which is pretty cool. smile.gif

And also - there are two more reviews for the book up and some more on the way. Thanks!

http://www.omnicomic.com/2012/04/review-bi...ray-1.html#more

http://www.comicbooked.com/review-binary-gray/

--------------------

+Quote Post
charltonsect
post Apr 27 2012, 07:04 AM
Post #7

QUOTE (uphillbrian @ Apr 22 2012, 01:40 AM) *
i'm in your neighborhood. What part of the city are you in?

cincinnati?

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gonzogoose
post Apr 27 2012, 08:07 AM
Post #8

Advanced Member

Member No.: 589

I got my copies in the mail yesterday and they turned out great! I'm going to make not of that printer.

--------------------

+Quote Post
charltonsect
post Apr 27 2012, 09:11 AM
Post #9

QUOTE (Gonzogoose @ Apr 27 2012, 10:07 AM) *
I got my copies in the mail yesterday and they turned out great! I'm going to make not of that printer.

awesome! yeah, i was really happy with the final product and sales have been good so far, which is really great news. hopefully the more cons I get out to and the more press that keeps coming, the better the books will do. Binary Gray Issue 3 is in the works and Sleepless #1 is close to wrapping. Looking to print both in July. I'm very pleasantly surprised at the reaction so far. This is my first publishing experience, but so far so good.

--------------------

+Quote Post
charltonsect
post Apr 30 2012, 08:49 AM
Post #10

more news today.. sorry if this seems like spam. just a lot going on!

my first interview is up! I think it went really well!

http://www.comicbookandmoviereviews.com/20...l#axzz1tWTMZYYh

--------------------

+Quote Post
uphillbrian
post Apr 30 2012, 09:27 PM
Post #11

Advanced Member

Member No.: 19,728

QUOTE (charltonsect @ Apr 27 2012, 09:04 AM) *
cincinnati?

well, northern Kentucky. Florence area

--------------------

+Quote Post
charltonsect
post May 1 2012, 07:14 AM
Post #12

QUOTE (uphillbrian @ Apr 30 2012, 11:27 PM) *
well, northern Kentucky. Florence area

ah nice! well i'll be at plenty of shows in that area and hopefully have the books in more stores around there as well. I'll be at Cincinnati in Sept, and Lexington (Forge) this month and Derby City in June! Also just signed up for the Lexington Con in March of 2013. come out and say hi!

--------------------

+Quote Post
charltonsect
post Jun 11 2012, 08:06 AM
Post #13

Hey guys - it's been a while since I updated everyone on what's going on with Assailant.

Only a couple more shows before my summer hiatus. Heroes Con and Derby City. So far Binary Gray has been doing very well. Much better than expected. We've had lots of great reviews and press for the book and Issue 3 is looking great!

Be sure and stop by the site for the latest news! (we just got print and digital distribution!)

One last thing - if you don't mind, please click on the links below for Twitter and Facebook and gives those a little love - a Follow or a Like goes a long way.

Thanks!

http://assailantcomics.com

Facebook!

Twitter!

--------------------

+Quote Post
charltonsect
post Jun 20 2012, 07:36 AM
Post #14

Hey everyone! More good news today!

Assailant Comics has partnered with Cloud9Comix to make Binary Gray available on iPad and Android devices!! Only 99 cents for Binary Gray #1!

Download the FREE Cloud9Comix app on your phone or tablet and check it out!

Thanks!

This post has been edited by charltonsect: Jun 20 2012, 07:37 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st November 2014 - 05:59 AM