Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Mark Waid speaking truths and we should all listen., www.markwaid.com
Greg G.
post Apr 4 2012, 02:16 PM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 19,808

It seems Mark Waid is being very open about his digital and creator owned initiative. He has re-tooled his site to post editorials and reports from the field.

This is Mark Waid.

Kingdom Come, Daredevil, Incorruptable/Irredeemable, and countless other popular mainstream comics Mark Waid.

You should be reading his site, and taking notes:

Print Math
Posted on: April 4th, 2012 by Mark Waid 27 Comments

Some very harsh truths about comicsí current existence and its future burrowed their way into my thick head about three years ago, back when I was Editor-In-Chief of a comics publisher called BOOM! Studios. I learned a lot at that job about the current state of comics publishing--not just from BOOM! but also from comparing notes with friends-turned-bigwigs like Nick Barrucci at Dynamite Comics or Filip Sablik over at Top Cow. Here are two especially big and scary bits of math.

One: American comics are distributed almost exclusively by one company, Diamond, which--whether you like Diamond or not--is, in a free market system, madness. Diamond has no serious competition (nor--given various distributor-publisher exclusives and the thin margins in the industry on the whole--will it likely ever). Therefore, it can pretty much set whatever terms it likes with publishers, particularly the smaller ones. The ďPremier PublishersĒ --DC, Marvel, Dark Horse, Image, IDW--can get more favorable terms because they account for so much market share, but the smaller ones have no negotiating leverage. Moreover, Diamond can decline to distribute any new comic it feels wonít make a significant profit or doesnít show enough ďpromise,Ē as is their right. Now, none of this is a condemnation--Diamondís built its business from the ground up and seems to be very good at what it does, and Iím not suggesting they havenít earned their status--but because theyíre a monopoly, this makes Diamond a very powerful gatekeeper in the industry, and thatís not changing. You want to sell comics to anyone, you sell through Diamond. (Newsstand publishing is a whole blogpost in and of itself, which Iíll do soon, but hereís the short version: itís a dying racket deliberately designed to pay out less often than a slot machine. No matter how crooked you suspect it is, Iíve seen spreadsheets and can promise you that youíre underestimating by half.)

So...Diamond. Typically, a non-Premier publisher sells its wares to Diamond at 40-45% of cover price. Letís say 40%. Youíre one of those publishers. That means that if your comic is cover-priced at $3.99 (which, at the moment, seems to be the average bottom threshold), youíre making roughly $1.60 per copy. Which actually doesnít sound too awful, right? Letís say youíre not a Bendis- or Millar-level sales superstar but neither are you a total unknown, so youíre selling 5000-6000 copies of each issue, very respectable in this day and age. Less if youíre a brand-new creator with no track record among retailers, but for argumentís sake, letís say 5-6K. Thatís, what, eight or nine grand gross?

But hereís the big bite: at those print-run levels, that comic is costing you around a dollar a copy just to print. Maybe a little more, maybe a little less. Whatís that? Youíve decided to forego expensive color for cheaper black and white? Youíd be surprised how little that lowers the cost. Printing, shipping, and various related charges--thatís where youíre spending more than half your income. More than half. Not on creative, not on marketing, not on advertising, not on all of that put together. On printing the damn thing.

And...and...as the printing industry continues to contract, the per-unit costs will--basic law of supply and demand--continue to escalate.

Big And Scary Bit Of Math #2: How many retail outlets nationwide does Diamond serve? If youíre a small publisher, how many stores can you hope to get your comic into? If you guessed more than two thousand, youíre dreaming. Maybe two thousand, and that includes every tiny sports-card shop or private individual who maintains an account with the distributor by ordering the bare minimum amount of merchandise monthly for their own collections, not for resale. Itís pretty sobering to realize that four regions--California, New York, Texas and the Chicago area--account for a jaw-dropping majority of comics stores across America. Last time I looked, for instance, if you live anywhere between Memphis, Tennessee and Jackson, Mississippi, there are no comics stores to be found. And thatís just one example of their scarcity. Those of us who live in major metropolitan areas lose sight of how hard it is just to find a damn comic book at all in, say, Prattville, Alabama or Tupelo, Mississippi. Distribution is awful, and itís only getting worse as stores struggle.

More bad news: of those letís-charitably-say-two-thousand, a high percentage of those wonít even order your book. They use Diamondís monthly Top 100 listing as a menu and wonít even order most of the bottom 50. That doesnít make them evil, just necessarily thrifty--theyíre buying wholesale from Diamond at maybe a 45% discount if they're a small store, 53% at best if they have multiple storefronts, and what they ordered canít be returned to Diamond, so they donít have a whole lot of leeway to take risks on ďunprovenĒ material. I donít have concrete numbers before me, but I would make an educated guess that INCORRUPTIBLE, the lowest-selling of my monthly comics, gets shelved in maybe 500 stores across the world. And, as with most all print comics, fewer stores every month.

Thatís the cold, hard math of print comics. I know that math. What I donít know nearly as well--what none of us yet knows reliably--is the math of digital comics. Iím going to learn it the hard way over the next few months: face-first. Iíll report back with my findings.

Source

Seriously, bookmark it.

Read it.

Learn from it.

--------------------
You know, life is funny.
If you don't repeat the actions of your own success
You won't be successful
You gotta know your own formula, your own ingredients
What made you, YOU.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies
Cary
post Apr 5 2012, 11:27 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,957

Well if it helps any at all then it was totally worth it I suppose.

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th November 2014 - 06:11 PM