Reply to this topicStart new topic
How To Find An Artist
Gordon_D
post Apr 15 2012, 08:33 PM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,467

As many of you know, I've begun to do some comic scripting, and have written a 7 page story for the Zone 4 collected webcomic. Since I'm responsible for finding an art team - and quite honestly, have no idea what I'm doing - thought I would ask for some pointers and guidance.

• Are there any forums/online listings of artists seeking work? And if so, how should/would I initiate contact?
  • In terms of time frame, what's a normal expectation for completion (for example, is a page a day too fast? Too slow? Just right?)
  • Any place where I can locate promising new talent? Since I'm not able to pay an artist financially (and don't expect a professional to work for free), thought I would "pay it forward"?
  • Are there any common misconceptions that it's best for me to be aware of now moving forward?

Granted, I know this is a lot, and if you need to message me privately, that's cool - just thought that I would ask.

Gordon

--------------------
Tipping Sacred Cows since 2004 at http://www.blogthispal.com
More stuff can be found at http://www.gordondymowski.com
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Ron Fortier
post Apr 15 2012, 08:50 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 1,427

Gordon, Digital Webbing has a HELP WANTED forum, I'll send you the link. Register on the site than put up an ad. I've found lots of great new artist that way.

+Quote Post
Gonzogoose
post Apr 16 2012, 10:43 AM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 589

DW (as Ron mentioned) and DeviantArt are probably the two most active places to find an artist.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Fred Lang
post Apr 17 2012, 06:01 AM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Member No.: 19,590

I have 200+ watchers on DA. Pitch the idea in text form and I'll cut / paste it as a journal so that the artists who follow me can find you if they're interested!

--------------------
Owner and Creator at PixelFigs

+Quote Post
Gordon_D
post Apr 17 2012, 07:26 AM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Ron and Brant - thanks for the guidance; I've posted a small note on DW, so I should be getting some responses in the next day or so.

Fred - I'll take you up on your offer; will message you privately in the next day or so.

Thanks, all!

--------------------

+Quote Post
andrew-law
post May 14 2012, 12:13 AM
Post #6

Advanced Member

Member No.: 19,806

Just be careful about doing the "hi am a writer... new project... can't pay you anything..." trick.

I have seen a few writers unjustly getting their heads bitten off in forums because they try that tact and honestly they are just new to the ball game and want to hit a few balls just like the rest of us. Its key to look in the right place that has a friendly atmosphere.

A page a day is a high expectation, an A3 page should take a professional 6-8 hours for just pencils so someone learning the craft will be slower and probably have to work it in around a daytime job.

Me who has been working full time and have 3 kids sometimes struggled to find 2-4 hours some weeks to do pencil and inks on essentially one third of an A3 page but found it easier to do it piecemeal like that in a webcomic type format. (This also improves as kids get old enough to go to school... sigh)

And as for pay it forward... becareful about drawing Maserati's!

--------------------
instagram.com/andrewlawart
andrewlawart.deviantart.com
facebook.com/andrewlawart
facebook.com/andrewlawartpage
twitter.com/andrewlawart
plus.google.com/u/0/105920269584075459657

+Quote Post
Gordon_D
post May 14 2012, 04:42 AM
Post #7

Advanced Member

Andrew,

Thanks for your honesty - I have to admit, this is all very new to me, so my expectations may be extremely unrealistic.

First, thanks for sharing about the time it takes to draw a page - I should have realized that not only life stuff, but other work commitments,
might have an impact on an artist's available work time. It's good to have a nice, realistic time frame for me to conceive of a project.
(So if I'm writing a 120 page graphic novel, expecting it done in two weeks....not doable. smile.gif)

Thankfully, I have an artist who've responded to me via Digital Webbing (one I need to follow up with later today) who seems
interested, and I'm being very careful. I had someone scold me privately because I wasn't offering anything "tangible", but that's
why I'm up front about my intentions. Given much of the talk this year about creators' rights, I don't want to end up on the wrong
side of the argument. smile.gif

Ironically, I can understand better know why some projects use platforms like Kickstarter to get off the ground - there's a lot of time
and talent involved, and at the very least, you can develop an initial audience. (Yes, I've been doing research for an upcoming Zone 4
episode - you'll thank me later smile.gif) It's not complaining, just...I understand the process a little better, and it can be disheartening for
both artists and writers.

And your Porsche's in the mail. smile.gif

Thanks,
Gordon

--------------------

+Quote Post
andrew-law
post May 14 2012, 04:52 AM
Post #8

Advanced Member

if you are writing a 120 page graphic novel.... well.... ha .... good luck with that! (i hear the american economy is doing great! should sell heaps!)

...scolded for not offering anything tangible... well how did you know i have always wanted a porsche... i shall pitch my tent by the letterbox in eager anticipation!!

Now seriously, i wish you the best of luck and hope to see more Zone 4 comic goodness soon!

And i here Digital webbing is good, only dabbled in it myself, need to take a deeper plunge into i am told.

This post has been edited by andrew-law: May 14 2012, 04:53 AM

--------------------
twitter.com/andrewlawart

+Quote Post
Gordon_D
post May 19 2012, 09:07 AM
Post #9

Advanced Member

QUOTE (andrew-law @ May 14 2012, 05:52 AM) *
Now seriously, i wish you the best of luck and hope to see more Zone 4 comic goodness soon!

Andrew,

Thanks to you and Fred Lang (and cleared with Brant and Ron), I now have some definite "tangibles" to offer in lieu of payment.

Any artist or colorist who helps out with my seven page Zone 4 story will receive the following goodies:

• obviously, publication and distribution of the Zone 4 collected webcomic (with other stories) via IndyPlanet
  • four weeks' sponsorship of the Zone 4 podcast....gratis. Free. I can e-mail our sponsorship guidelines if you want to know the cost
  • Guest slot on the Zone 4 podcast, meaning that the artist and colorist have an opportunity to join Brant and Ron in discussing how much of a pain I am to work with smile.gif
  • If they reside in the Chicago area, I'll buy them the beverage of their choice

Granted, it's not much, and may even seem slight (after all, this would be in lieu of cash/credit), but quite honestly - I'm looking to get this story done. I don't have much in the way of wealth, but would love to help an artist - especially one seeking exposure - get a leg up. My story's a comedy with sci-fi/Western elements, and I'm looking for someone with a cartoony, almost manga/anime style.

If you need details, send me a personal message.

Thanks!
Gordon

--------------------

+Quote Post
andrew-law
post May 19 2012, 07:51 PM
Post #10

Advanced Member

i will have to back you up with saying all that has really helped with exposure of my art!

It might not seem much to you but the weekly exposure a on site dedicated to comics is heaps more than what some promise.

The free beverage would be nice though...

--------------------
twitter.com/andrewlawart

+Quote Post
Gordon_D
post May 19 2012, 07:57 PM
Post #11

Advanced Member

QUOTE (andrew-law @ May 19 2012, 08:51 PM) *
The free beverage would be nice though...

I'm on the next plane to New Zealand. smile.gif

Free beverage is coming....is Vegemite served in liquid form? Most of what I learned about New Zealand I heard
on Men at Work records.

--------------------

+Quote Post
MasonEasley
post May 21 2012, 03:05 PM
Post #12

Advanced Member

Member No.: 15,679

Yeah, the bad news is that when someone offers no pay, 80% of potential artists run for the hills. With that said, kudos for finding someone for your project Gordon. I look forward to seeing your project when it's complete.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gordon_D
post May 21 2012, 07:19 PM
Post #13

Advanced Member

QUOTE (MasonEasley @ May 21 2012, 04:05 PM) *
Yeah, the bad news is that when someone offers no pay, 80% of potential artists run for the hills. With that said, kudos for finding someone for your project Gordon. I look forward to seeing your project when it's complete.

I'm still looking, but am offering some complimentary sponsorships and promotion as an incentive.

If you can recommend someone, please let me know - thanks!

Gordon

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ron Fortier
post Jun 1 2012, 07:48 AM
Post #14

Member No.: 1,427

Gordon found a great artist to do his strip and didn't have to pay him a penny. Proving there are still amazing artists out there who will work for other things beside cash. You just have to be a little more diligent in hunting them up. Oh, the other thing here, they bartered services. If you've been listening to the Zone 4 Podcast, you'll understand. So the book continues to move forward. Wahooo... biggrin.gif

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th July 2014 - 10:46 AM