Reply to this topicStart new topic
Russette's Reviews, book reviews of things I've read
C. William Russe...
post Apr 21 2012, 07:57 PM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 19,925

I am finally diving into my catch up readin of things NEW PULP. This is the second of such reviews. Expect more to follow.

http://dungeonwall.blogspot.com/

This post has been edited by C. William Russette: Apr 24 2012, 08:27 PM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Mark Ellis
post Apr 22 2012, 08:07 AM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 2,619

I really hate blogger sites that force you to go through a whole tedious registration process just to R-E-A-D something.

How about just posting your review here?

--------------------

+Quote Post
Derrick
post Apr 22 2012, 10:18 AM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 2,804

QUOTE (Mark Ellis @ Apr 22 2012, 10:07 AM) *
I really hate blogger sites that force you to go through a whole tedious registration process just to R-E-A-D something.

How about just posting your review here?

Agreed.

+Quote Post
C. William Russe...
post Apr 22 2012, 06:11 PM
Post #4

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Derrick @ Apr 22 2012, 10:18 AM) *
Agreed.

My apologies, gentlemen. I used a bad link. The site is not at fault. User error. I have inserted the correct link.

Thanks for your patience.

CWR

+Quote Post
C. William Russe...
post Apr 24 2012, 08:29 PM
Post #5

Advanced Member

In the third installment of RUSSETTE's REVIEWS I tackle THE ADVENTURES OF LAZARUS GRAY by Barry Reese.

http://dungeonwall.blogspot.com/2012/04/ru...-reviews-3.html

+Quote Post
C. William Russe...
post Mar 4 2013, 09:50 PM
Post #6

Advanced Member

SINBAD THE NEW VOYAGES (Airship27 Productions)

Lets start by quoting a press release from New Pulp:

“Writers Nancy Hansen, I.A. Watson and Derrick Ferguson offer up three classic Sinbad tales to rival those of legend while adding a familiar sensibility from the cult favorite Sinbad movies of FX master, Ray Harryhausen.”

There is an important distinction there. Master Harryhausen's films are a big source of the tomes inspiration. I freakin' loved those films as a lad. To my pleasant surprise they still hold up today. I've never read Arabian Nights (1001 Nights) so this distinction was all I needed to know. I wanted to check out this book.

Admittedly I was reluctant to accept the idea of a supporting cast that had been cooked up to travel along with Sinbad: a female samurai, a viking berserker and an archer from Gaul. I think it must be the purist that bubbles up out of me periodically. I thought it was a horrible idea. I also thought Teenage Ninja Turtles was ridiculous and wouldn't go anywhere when it first broke. Even I can be wrong once or twice.

There are three tales woven in this book from names that are far from unknown to New Pulp audiences: Nancy Hansen, I.A. Watson and Derrick Ferguson. Each bring their 'A' game. I greatly enjoyed each and every story. I certainly wanted more after finishing the book. It was devoured, this collection! There is action a plenty, drama, the expected fantasy element with monsters to fight and magic deal with including a particularly wretched witch. I thought it was interesting that each writer told a different tale, but each had a voice that was unique and all were definitively Sinbad tales worthy to stand next to the Harryhausen films. Those three characters that joined Sinbad in all the tales were deftly handled and to me at least seemed to belong there. (I'd like a crack at writing solo tales for all three, frankly) It all worked quite well together and made for a wondrous read for this fantasy-adventure lover.

Not to be outdone by the tales is the impressive interior artwork handled by Ralf van der Hoeven with Bryan Fowler throwing down some cool cover art.

Props must go out to Ron Fortier for coming up with and organizing this idea into the finely polished treasure that pleased me to no end. I really can't wait for future volumes.

This is a Must-Have New Pulp Read!

C. William Russette

Pa.

+Quote Post
Ron Fortier
post Mar 5 2013, 04:40 PM
Post #7

Member No.: 1,427

Wahoo, thanks for the great review, William. We at Airship 27 Productions truly appreciate that.

+Quote Post
C. William Russe...
post Mar 5 2013, 06:08 PM
Post #8

Advanced Member

The pleasure is all mine. Just like reading the book was. May the series keep a comin'!

+Quote Post
C. William Russe...
post Mar 6 2014, 09:00 PM
Post #9

Advanced Member

http://www.amazon.com/review/R1VJM1L4Z6D3I5

Samurai Blade (Kindle Edition)

This wasn't my first exposure to Whalen writing his monster hunter Slate but the subject matter jumped out at me. I knew the quality would be there regardless but throw in the samurai element and I had to jump on it. The crux of the story makes a its bloody presence known very quickly. Our man Slate is hired to seek out just what made a soldier go mad and get to hacking with a very rare to the region weapon of Japanese origin. There are monsters involved but not all of them come from the other side of the grave. Whalen is a capable writer that is not scared of researching a new topic so it smacks of authenticity. The prose is crisp and the dialogue resonates with the old west where we find ourselves settling in comfortably.

A solid read. I will seek out Slate and Mr. Whalen in the future.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st December 2014 - 12:14 AM