Reply to this topicStart new topic
Kickstarter... Has it worked for you?
ChuckMoore
post Apr 23 2012, 06:14 AM
Post #1

Site Creator

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1

I'm considering a kickstarter campaign to fund a book I'm helping with. For those of you who have run campaigns, how many were successful and do you have any advice for someone trying it for the first time?

Thanks!
Chuck

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Gonzogoose
post Apr 23 2012, 06:38 AM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 589

I can't offer any advice yet, but I will say that this will be a future Zone 4 topic. As I am hoping to FINALLY get the Wannabez one up soon, I'd love to hear thoughts on this as well though.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Decapitated_Dan
post Apr 23 2012, 08:39 AM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 2,983

I will weigh in on this, but I am going to be brutally honest.

1. Make sure your video is a masterpiece. Entertaining and to the point. This is your selling point to new people. Friends will not care and just pitch in, but to new people you have to get them.

2. Make your "prizes" realistic. I will not, WILL NOT, pay $5 without getting a physical copy (when talking about a single issue comic book). Digital copies cost $1 in most places, so don't expect me to pay $5 to get a digital copy. IF you are talking about a trade or OGN, make sure that your "Prize" Price is enough over to cover shipping. I know enough places to get books printed in color, where you aren't spending over $3 per book, so I think for $5 you can send me a copy.

3. Figure out a way to advertise before you get started. I get bombarded with Kickstarter emails asking me to share them. I DO NOT. Even if you are a good friend of mine I will not show favoritism, because in turn that just gets me people complaining and other wanting me to share. So make sure you know where you can get the word out ahead of time.

I know I am an ass about it, and you can all send hate mail to me, but it's how I feel. With the number of people I know doing Kickstarters you have to make sure you stand out from the crowd for it to work.

PS... I still love you all.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Greg G.
post Apr 23 2012, 12:21 PM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Member No.: 19,808

You're absolutely correct about point #1 Dan.

The ADD Internet generation will eviscerate a Kickstarter if it doesn't have a solid video pitch. Make sure you script your pitch, and edit it to flow smoothly. If you're going to add music to it, please make sure the soundtrack does not drown out your sales pitch.

--------------------
You know, life is funny.
If you don't repeat the actions of your own success
You won't be successful
You gotta know your own formula, your own ingredients
What made you, YOU.

+Quote Post
Gonzogoose
post Apr 23 2012, 01:14 PM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Member No.: 589

There's actually a thread on Digital Webbing about this also. They go a little off topic, but there's some advice there too, some of which agrees with what Dan and Greg have said.

http://www.digitalwebbing.com/forums/showthread.php?t=160494

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ron Fortier
post Apr 23 2012, 03:38 PM
Post #6

Member No.: 1,427

Dan, I dislike Kickstarter altogether. So I take some of those "angry" letters gladly. wink.gif

+Quote Post
Decapitated_Dan
post Apr 23 2012, 03:53 PM
Post #7

Advanced Member

Member No.: 2,983

QUOTE (Ron Fortier @ Apr 23 2012, 04:38 PM) *
Dan, I dislike Kickstarter altogether. So I take some of those "angry" letters gladly. wink.gif

Personally I don't like the concept of having people pay for certain things, like I said though, if I can get a copy for paying for what a copy costs, then it makes sense, same thing as paying you in person for it because I am then funding your printing costs and you are making your profit. But asking me to pay $10 for a $5 product doesn't compute in this head of mine. Where is that other $5 going?

--------------------

+Quote Post
doombug
post Apr 23 2012, 08:45 PM
Post #8

Eric Ratcliffe

Member No.: 2,668

Kickstarter for the most part is quite possibly one of the best ways for creators to actively crowd source and just spread your work out to a new and growing fanbase.

Some of the most successful are of course done by people who it's taken years to really make their names know. (Look at you Tim Schaefer!)

but at the same time it's open to anyone and such a brilliant system to really have your say in something to be made. Whether it be comics, video games, web series or even products in my mind Kickstarter is almost an iTunes or Comixology...changing the way things are done and giving the people who would be purchasing the product the chance to help get it made.

Hell I mentioned Tim Schaefer because I believe they are now the most successful kickstarter project ever. They wanted to raise 100,000 for a new point and click adventure game and the making of Doc....they raised over 3 million. (Womanthology did pretty well too now that I'm thinking about it)

Guys like Jimmy Palmiotti and Paul Jenkins are now actively producing projects through it.

And as we speak both the Variants and Nuka Break season 2 are actively raising their new seasons production costs through the site.

I really don't see Kickstarter as anyone begging for money or scamming people (there's only been 1 case of that) and I honestly see it as another example of the digital age changing the way things can be produced in the 2000's.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Greg G.
post Apr 23 2012, 11:17 PM
Post #9

Advanced Member

Member No.: 19,808

Agreed.

I view Kickstarter as something of a "charity", which is bad wording, for creators who may not otherwise get a project out there. Be it a video game, comic book, film, music - whatever.

I don't donate to my local college radio because I want a tax write off. I donate to them because they turn me on to new music that I wouldn't hear otherwise.

It would be nice to get something out of the Kickstarter donation, but it's more so me feeling good about helping someone with a cool idea birth it. Unless Kickstarter begins to meddle with the creator's rights, copyright, etc. then I'll have a problem with it.

--------------------
You know, life is funny.
If you don't repeat the actions of your own success
You won't be successful
You gotta know your own formula, your own ingredients
What made you, YOU.

+Quote Post
Cary
post Apr 24 2012, 12:52 AM
Post #10

Advanced Member

Member No.: 2,957

I'd say go for it Chuck. I mean you already have the infrastructure in place to make the video and such that you need in more than enough high quality to satify the groundlings, so why not? Worst case scenario you don't get funded and you're out what, the time it took you to set it all up and promote. Better than a 3K print run that sits in your closet collecting dust, you know?

As the relative evils or boons Kickstarter provides to creatives...I think it's a push. Like anything else out there, it's a platform for connecting with your fans old, new, and as yet undiscovered. Can you do evil with it? Sure, but you can also do evil with a Big Mac and some fries if you're motivated enough. Like any other tool in your promotional arsenal it's all about how you use it.

--------------------

+Quote Post
ChuckMoore
post Apr 24 2012, 07:00 AM
Post #11

Site Creator

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1

Thanks for all the fine, fine info!

While talking kickstarter, I should plug the very successful campaign underway for our friends over at Ringtail Cafe (http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/160804...il-cafe-issue-6) who are almost at their goal with 18 days to go!

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st October 2014 - 07:34 AM