2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Need feedback on my artwork
mark_barnett
post May 1 2012, 05:59 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 20,356

To the (left) is my pencil sketch, and to the (right) is my ink drawing. Can I please get some feedback on this artwork?
Do you think it's just OK, good, bad, real bad, etc.? Would you say that I have a future in comic book art or not?

This post has been edited by mark_barnett: May 2 2012, 11:48 AM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Lexia
post May 1 2012, 07:14 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 19,691

Reminds me of old school art from earlier years. Over all I like it but a pin up says pretty much nothing about comic art, you would need to do panel pages to judge by. Pin ups are ok and all, but they only good for pose practice, comic companies tend to like to see how you do panel to panel.

But as just from this one picture I think you can do well. Can't wait to see more

--------------------

+Quote Post
Greg G.
post May 1 2012, 08:31 PM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 19,808

You have a solid foundation.

The illustration itself has some anatomical weaknesses in the upper arm - bicep too large, tricep too small. The tricep accounts for 2/3rd the mass of the upper arm, so even on the Hulk his triceps should be that much larger than his bicep.

The torso has some wonky anatomy in the rib cage. The serratus magnus is wrong. Extending too far down to the abdomen.

The legs have some screwy anatomy as well. The vastus lateralis seems to be overlapping the rest of the leg muscles.

It's always best to not over render anatomy if you're not certain. For reference you should pick up Figure Drawing For All It's Worth and possibly get a copy of Gray's Anatomy at a used book store for anatomy that isn't covered in illustration books.

The inks are solid, but you need to vary your line weight. Varying line weight can add to the illusion of depth, weight, and lighting. It also helps prevent your artwork from looking like a coloring book illustration.

As for a career in comics - you'll need to put in your 10,000 hours. Any jackass can draw a pin-up (trust me, it's pretty much all I do and why I have a day job). You need to be able to draw everything - buildings, cars, baby strollers, old people, trains, bottles, kitchens, etc. etc.

Look at the artist working today that you think is the worst and try to draw better than that guy. It helps to start low and work your way up. If you set your sights too high, then you may set an unrealistic goal and become discouraged.

I look forward to seeing more of your illustrations.

--------------------
You know, life is funny.
If you don't repeat the actions of your own success
You won't be successful
You gotta know your own formula, your own ingredients
What made you, YOU.

+Quote Post
mark_barnett
post May 2 2012, 03:52 AM
Post #4

Here's some more of my artwork. I did this one working from a Google photo. Green Goblin vs. Spiderman.

Here is my Joker, based on Jack Nicholson and Cesar Romero's character.

+Quote Post
Lexia
post May 3 2012, 10:09 PM
Post #5

Advanced Member

It reminds me so much of the style from the 60's it is simple and clean. Now for your question, even with what Greg said their is still artist out their that get work all the time and their stuff is less then perfect. But that is a style issue and so on. Your art is more retro and that becomes popular ever so often, over all it just depends what you want to do. Saying you will never be one or never become one is not true just a matter of work and chance

--------------------

+Quote Post
mark_barnett
post May 4 2012, 04:29 AM
Post #6

Yes, my work has been called retro and old school. That's just my style and I like being that way. Have you ever heard of a company that does "old school" type artwork? I'd like to send them samples of my work. Thanks !!!

+Quote Post
Greg G.
post May 4 2012, 10:04 AM
Post #7

Advanced Member

QUOTE (mark_barnett @ May 4 2012, 06:29 AM) *
Yes, my work has been called retro and old school. That's just my style and I like being that way. Have you ever heard of a company that does "old school" type artwork? I'd like to send them samples of my work. Thanks !!!

Moonstone may be a start.

Go to a comic shop and look through an issue of Previews. You'll get a feel for the publishers that are out there.

--------------------
You know, life is funny.
You won't be successful
What made you, YOU.

+Quote Post
uphillbrian
post May 4 2012, 01:49 PM
Post #8

Advanced Member

Member No.: 19,728

Moonstone was the first to pop onto my head as well!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Lexia
post May 4 2012, 04:24 PM
Post #9

Advanced Member

You actually be surprised send to all you may find some that way to retouch older works for new trades and so on.. there is lots of stuff out there just go and look =3

Preview is a good start, get one every month for 3 months that be a good things some companies only publish bi-monthly so yea.

--------------------

+Quote Post
mark_barnett
post May 5 2012, 04:07 PM
Post #10

I went to my local comic book store today and bought an issue of "Thunderbolts". They didn't have any "Moonstone" in stock.
Yes, it's a nice comic by Marvel. I could not locate any other old school comic books that fit my style; but I'll keep on looking. Thanks!

Here's a Darth Maul painting that I did two years ago. I'd like to do a comic book cover for someone who likes my style.

This post has been edited by mark_barnett: May 5 2012, 04:15 PM

+Quote Post
Greg G.
post May 6 2012, 12:58 AM
Post #11

Advanced Member

If you want to do covers you're going to have to start building your portfolio, getting your own reference, and creating original work.

Read Fred Lang's thread on busting his hump to get his artistic career off the ground. The opportunity isn't going to fall into your lap.

Build your portfolio. Research the market. Network online with Deviantart, Twitter, message boards, etc.

--------------------
You know, life is funny.
You won't be successful
What made you, YOU.

+Quote Post
mark_barnett
post May 6 2012, 12:31 PM
Post #12

Yes, that's an inspiring story by Fred; thanks for sharing. Yes, I can see that it will be a lot of hard work with building a strong portfolio with lots of original work, etc. That is good advise. Thank you !!!

Here's a painting I did a few months ago. It's acrylic paint on a 16" X 20" hard canvas board.

This post has been edited by mark_barnett: May 6 2012, 05:57 PM

+Quote Post
Carl Shinyama
post May 7 2012, 08:44 PM
Post #13

Advanced Member

Member No.: 19,685

QUOTE (mark_barnett @ May 1 2012, 01:59 PM) *

To the (left) is my pencil sketch, and to the (right) is my ink drawing. Can I please get some feedback on this artwork?
Do you think it's just OK, good, bad, real bad, etc.? Would you say that I have a future in comic book art or not?

Do you have a Hi-res version? I can give a critique, but I'd prefer a higher resolution.

+Quote Post
Greg G.
post May 7 2012, 10:56 PM
Post #14

Advanced Member

QUOTE (mark_barnett @ May 6 2012, 02:31 PM) *

Here's a painting I did a few months ago. It's acrylic paint on a 16" X 20" hard canvas board.

Awesome!

--------------------
You know, life is funny.
You won't be successful
What made you, YOU.

+Quote Post
mark_barnett
post May 8 2012, 05:05 AM
Post #15

QUOTE (Carl Shinyama @ May 7 2012, 09:44 PM) *
Do you have a Hi-res version? I can give a critique, but I'd prefer a higher resolution.

Sorry, I do not have a higher resolution, but I am re-drawing this image, and I hope to make it look better. Please check back later. Thank you.

+Quote Post
mark_barnett
post May 15 2012, 01:18 PM
Post #16

Here is my second attempt to draw the Hulk -- this one is done in pencil. I do freelance work. Thanks !!!

+Quote Post
Lexia
post May 15 2012, 05:31 PM
Post #17

Advanced Member

QUOTE (mark_barnett @ May 15 2012, 03:18 PM) *
Here is my second attempt to draw the Hulk -- this one is done in pencil. I do freelance work. Thanks !!!

I do like the way it looks simple and detailed all at once looks clean and unclutter

--------------------

+Quote Post
mark_barnett
post May 16 2012, 08:06 AM
Post #18

QUOTE (Lexia @ May 15 2012, 06:31 PM) *
I do like the way it looks simple and detailed all at once looks clean and unclutter

Thanks, Lexia! Yeah, that's pretty much what I was going for, just a simple, clean, pin up poster look.

+Quote Post
Lexia
post May 16 2012, 04:02 PM
Post #19

Advanced Member

QUOTE (mark_barnett @ May 16 2012, 10:06 AM) *
Thanks, Lexia! Yeah, that's pretty much what I was going for, just a simple, clean, pin up poster look.

NP NP Really in comics their is no wrong style only if you are to match someone else styles or working on book with others, but over all you can use your own style and get work if you can anyway. Or at least get a book you can draw alone or with others with same style.

Really if you look at comics specially Other companies they tend to not have one strict style.

--------------------

+Quote Post
mark_barnett
post May 17 2012, 10:31 AM
Post #20

Here is a website link that has 4 pages of my artwork. http://fineartamerica.com/profiles/mark-barnett.html You can see that I've covered a lot of different subject matter over the years. I'd like to find a freelance job doing book covers or mini pin up posters or something like that. I'm not really sure where my style fits in or who would want to hire me. You know what I mean? I think I should do a lot more comic book artwork and mail out samples after I've done more work.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd November 2014 - 12:36 PM