Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
uphillbrian
post Dec 17 2012, 02:58 AM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 19,728

I generally try to imagine the impact and fallout of each attack and find the most effective way to convey that all while leading the viewer through to the next panel. Jeff Johnson's "Draw Fight Scenes Like a Pro" was really helpful.

Watching films with great fight scenes is helpful too. Regardless, I think you're on the right track smile.gif

This post has been edited by uphillbrian: Dec 17 2012, 02:58 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post
denzalan
post Dec 17 2012, 12:35 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 20,620

QUOTE (uphillbrian @ Dec 17 2012, 03:58 AM) *
I generally try to imagine the impact and fallout of each attack and find the most effective way to convey that all while leading the viewer through to the next panel. Jeff Johnson's "Draw Fight Scenes Like a Pro" was really helpful.

Watching films with great fight scenes is helpful too. Regardless, I think you're on the right track smile.gif

thats good thinking. thanks for the suggestion. also, i'm a bit dissapointed that this forum is quite dormant =(

--------------------

+Quote Post
cougar18
post Dec 17 2012, 01:38 PM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Member No.: 19,981

QUOTE (denzalan @ Dec 17 2012, 01:35 PM) *
thats good thinking. thanks for the suggestion. also, i'm a bit dissapointed that this forum is quite dormant =(

Also, try to pick up fighting magazines, like MMA fighting, Martial arts...Those are really helpful, and a great tip I picked up from Kevin McGuire's article in Wizard How to Draw.

+Quote Post
Greg G.
post Dec 18 2012, 06:56 PM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Member No.: 19,808

I'd watch action film from around the world and see how fight choreographers and directors frame the action to make it more exciting. Really not much more to it than that. You may also want to check out some of the popular boy's fight comics out of Japan like Naruto and Bleach to see how artists from around the world portray action in fights, but I wouldn't bother reading the stories unless you have some sort of deep seated personal resentment. tongue.gif

For reference I'd stick with striking combat, like Boxing or traditional martial arts, MMA is one of the most boring spectator sports I've bore witness to. Especially when you have a striker versus a grappler and it's just a couple of guys running down the fight clock with little to no action taking place. With traditional martial arts and boxing there's more going on in the matches.

At least if you want to sell the weight, impact, and dynamism of a good fight scene.

Even Bollywood produces some wildly imaginative action sequences in between musical numbers.

--------------------
You know, life is funny.
If you don't repeat the actions of your own success
You won't be successful
You gotta know your own formula, your own ingredients
What made you, YOU.

+Quote Post
denzalan
post Dec 18 2012, 11:55 PM
Post #6

QUOTE (Greg G. @ Dec 18 2012, 08:56 PM) *
I'd watch action film from around the world and see how fight choreographers and directors frame the action to make it more exciting. Really not much more to it than that. You may also want to check out some of the popular boy's fight comics out of Japan like Naruto and Bleach to see how artists from around the world portray action in fights, but I wouldn't bother reading the stories unless you have some sort of deep seated personal resentment. tongue.gif

For reference I'd stick with striking combat, like Boxing or traditional martial arts, MMA is one of the most boring spectator sports I've bore witness to. Especially when you have a striker versus a grappler and it's just a couple of guys running down the fight clock with little to no action taking place. With traditional martial arts and boxing there's more going on in the matches.

At least if you want to sell the weight, impact, and dynamism of a good fight scene.

Even Bollywood produces some wildly imaginative action sequences in between musical numbers.

thanks, this is some nice ideas. i know naruto does have some good combat, ive checked it out. and as for MMA, occasionally you can find really creative fighters who do unique moves, so id say check it out form time to time, even if you dont enjoy it. thanks though

--------------------

+Quote Post
Greg G.
post Dec 19 2012, 04:41 AM
Post #7

Advanced Member

QUOTE (denzalan @ Dec 19 2012, 12:55 AM) *
thanks, this is some nice ideas. i know naruto does have some good combat, ive checked it out. and as for MMA, occasionally you can find really creative fighters who do unique moves, so id say check it out form time to time, even if you dont enjoy it. thanks though

MMA is another case of "what youtube was invented for".

Just go there and catch the highlights.

I've always been massively disappointed by what has become MMA. I recall back in high school when the first Ultimate Fighter event was promoted and we were all expecting something like Bloodsport.

Instead we got gypped as Royce Gracie proceeded to defeat opponents with the most boring fighting style known to man. I'm sure it hurts, and is very effective, but it was super boring to watch. tongue.gif

We expected this.

We got this:

I find some Western and Hong Kong fight choreographers are incorporating some of the more popular MMA stuff into their fight choreography, but since it's fiction they spruce it up. Like so. And Flashpoint isn't even Donnie Yen's best movie.

--------------------
You know, life is funny.
You won't be successful
What made you, YOU.

+Quote Post
Greg G.
post Dec 23 2012, 04:13 PM
Post #8

Advanced Member

Speaking of style and flourish - playing and watching fighting games is also a great way to see how to infuse a character with a personality and physical language to fisticuffs.

You have stoic fighters like Ryu in Street Fighter, to arrogant jerks like Ryuji Yamazaki from Fatal Fury and everything you need to know about these characters is right there in front of you.

It's very close to the old animation principle of designing characters with unique silhouettes.

--------------------
You know, life is funny.
You won't be successful
What made you, YOU.

+Quote Post
denzalan
post Dec 23 2012, 05:20 PM
Post #9

QUOTE (Greg G. @ Dec 23 2012, 06:13 PM) *
Speaking of style and flourish - playing and watching fighting games is also a great way to see how to infuse a character with a personality and physical language to fisticuffs.

You have stoic fighters like Ryu in Street Fighter, to arrogant jerks like Ryuji Yamazaki from Fatal Fury and everything you need to know about these characters is right there in front of you.

It's very close to the old animation principle of designing characters with unique silhouettes.

definitely, i use to always play fightnig games, back in the day, my faves were Bloody Roar and Super Smash Bros. i loved the animal connection in bloody roar, and the fast paced intensity of super smash. i'd say both really stuck with me well as an influence

--------------------

+Quote Post
denzalan
post Jan 3 2013, 03:15 AM
Post #10

coming soon

--------------------

+Quote Post
denzalan
post Jan 21 2013, 07:36 PM
Post #11

The Meaning of Darvaak
by Denzel A Jackson

Will be available to be read this February

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th October 2014 - 09:24 AM