IPB
MORE @ COMIC RELATED: NEWS COLUMNS REVIEWS PODCASTS BLOGS

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Flash Gordon back in comics, Return to Mongo!
Glen Davis
post Feb 14 2008, 06:27 PM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,419

A small press company secured the liscense for Flash Gordon!

http://forum.newsarama.com/showthread.php?t=146745

Hopefully they ignore the Sci Fi Channel TV travesty.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Ron Fortier
post Feb 14 2008, 07:12 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 1,427

If they don't, then it's disaster time. We'll just have to wait and see. At least with a comic book you don't have the excuse of being
a "cheap" production company. Remember, that's was Jack Kirby's approach. He use to draw comics as if they were movies with
unlimited special effects budgets and capabilities.

+Quote Post
ChuckMoore
post Feb 15 2008, 11:59 AM
Post #3

Site Creator

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1

I like the look of the cover though it does borrow more than I would expect from the DC Flash imagery.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Glen Davis
post Feb 18 2008, 03:57 PM
Post #4

Advanced Member

A follow up article.

http://forum.newsarama.com/showthread.php?t=147169

I worry whenever anyone talks about giving a classic concept an "edge." That's what DC tried during the "Super Hero" years of Blackhawk, and we all know how that turned out.

Seriously, it seems they've aged Flash again, putting him at around 30 or so instead of the early to mid twenties age range of the source material. It's not a big deal, but one that we true fans will notice. The polo champion part is something that really has to be dealt with. My own solution would be to have him be a two or three sport guy like Bo Jackson and Herschel Walker, among others.

I'm also somewhat concerned with the CIA angle. How many people actually work for the CIA? Is it really necessary to add to the mix? I just hope we don't have any pages devoted to a debate on waterboarding, or Allende.

Finally, I'm not sure the whole Dale and Flash know each other previously thing is a good idea. I'm sure the creators think that it creates a whole new layer of drama and conflict and makes Dale more of "her own woman," but I like the idea of the two just being on a random airplane together and meeting by chance when the airplane goes down. Most of the attempts to give Dale Arden a modern twist merely succeed in making her obnoxious. I remember the DC miniseries from the 80's and wondered why Ming and Flash were fighting over this selfish, sancitmonious reporter. While it may be fashionable to make Dale more than hostage bait, she also has to be worth all the effort it takes to rescue her.

I'll wait and see. This is going on my pull list the second I see it. I just hope that this succeeds, as well as Moonstone's revival of Mandrake and that we see other comic strip icons come back like Buck Rogers, Jungle Jim, Tarzan, Alley Oop, Red Barry, Dick Tracy, Prince Valiant, et al.

+Quote Post
Ron Fortier
post Feb 18 2008, 07:07 PM
Post #5

I too would love to see lots of these great old characters make a comeback. In your listing, Glen, you forgot Moonstone is also bringing back Captain Midnight in both comics and prose. What with Airboy and now Midnight, they really seem to have a lock on those flying
heroes. Can't wait to see both of these.
Of course I totally agree with you, any version of Flash Gordon should adhere to the traditional formula set up by Alex Raymond right from the start with Dale and Flash meeting for the first time as the adventure kicks off, and not have some goofy soap-opera back history that
serves no dramatic purposes at all.

+Quote Post
Glen Davis
post Feb 18 2008, 11:24 PM
Post #6

Advanced Member

Moonstone is one of my favorite companies. I just wish they got more books out on a timely basis.

+Quote Post
Powerslave214
post Feb 19 2008, 01:16 PM
Post #7

Member No.: 2,548

Ah, if only Al Williamson could draw it. Or Mike Kaluta. Or Mark Schultz. Or Gary Gianni.

+Quote Post
Ron Fortier
post Feb 19 2008, 04:32 PM
Post #8

As much as I love all your choices here, part of me thinks, gee, all these guys got their start somewhere because gutsy editors gave them
a chance. Wouldn't it be just as wonderful to have Flash Gordon mark the start of yet another stellar art career? Come on, let's support the new kids and give them their chance.

+Quote Post
Glen Davis
post Feb 19 2008, 08:34 PM
Post #9

Advanced Member

You are an eternal optimist, Ron.

Good for you.

+Quote Post
Powerslave214
post Feb 20 2008, 01:28 AM
Post #10

Member No.: 2,548

I have nothing at all against a new artist trying their hand at Flash. I was just thinking out loud of various artists I'd like to see tackle it as well. smile.gif

Speaking of Moonstone and pulp series, does anyone know if Dark Horse still holds the comics rights to The Shadow and Tarzan?

+Quote Post
Glen Davis
post Apr 16 2008, 10:57 PM
Post #11

Advanced Member

It looks like issues of #1 will be availabel at the New York Comicon. Wish I could go.

+Quote Post
Glen Davis
post Apr 24 2008, 05:09 PM
Post #12

Advanced Member

Didn't see this in Previews this month. Did I just miss it?

+Quote Post
ChuckMoore
post May 25 2008, 08:12 AM
Post #13

Site Creator

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1

Check out these great covers!

Learn more here!

--------------------

+Quote Post
MikeWilliams
post May 25 2008, 12:48 PM
Post #14

Advanced Member

Member No.: 2,622

The second one looks hot in a J. Scott Campbell kinda way. I love it. cool.gif

+Quote Post
Glen Davis
post May 25 2008, 01:05 PM
Post #15

Advanced Member

Flash's head looks too small.

+Quote Post
Glen Davis
post Sep 27 2008, 04:34 PM
Post #16

Advanced Member

Got the first issue.

It isn't bad, but I feel it misses the mark in important ways.

Mongo isn't even mentioned, and the earth isn't in dire peril.

The whole Dale/CIA thing is really just a distraction, and comes off as just so much cliched padding. The witty patter between the principles is really forced. The section of Flash at Yale is unnecessary, and serves mostly to make Flash seem like a jerk than anything else.

The whole jumping out of the crashing plane scene is deleted.

The worst was Zarkov. The imposing mad scientist is reduced to little more than an absent minded professor. At his best, Zarkov is a reminder of the double edged sword of technology, that it can be incredibly helpful and incredibly dangerous. This subtext is entirely erased.

The art is American Manga, not my favorite style, but I don't hold it against the book.

Overall, I'd give it a B-

+Quote Post
Glen Davis
post Oct 12 2008, 01:57 PM
Post #17

Advanced Member

This issue takes place on Mongo. While the writers have the idea. Flash should be in almost constant danger, but the art is terrible. You can hardly see anything going on. They should open up the panels and lets us see the threat and the action. Where Flash is fighting a man eating plant, you can't see anything but Flash cutting a root. That's not good enough guys.

The meeting between Dale and Ming is similarly underwhelming. Ming is an old school, Oriental Despot style of ruler. Dale doesn't even seem to notice him. Where's the gigantic palace, and the retinue and the court and all of the trappings? Ming doesn't seem to mind being ignored, which isn't the Ming I know.

I don't know what to think of it.

+Quote Post
Ron Fortier
post Oct 12 2008, 05:24 PM
Post #18

Sorry Glen, but your suffering has spared the rest of us who opted not to pick this up. Phew, and I was sorely tempted. ohmy.gif

+Quote Post
Glen Davis
post Oct 13 2008, 10:35 AM
Post #19

Advanced Member

Glad to be of service. Don't let my sacrifice be in vain.

+Quote Post
Conscientious Se...
post Oct 15 2008, 12:10 AM
Post #20

Advanced Member

Member No.: 2,557

These guys were really nice at the CBLDF fundraiser in New York...but I could tell from the ComicCon ashcan that their book was NOT going to be particularly impressive. Sad. But they're Hollywood guys, trying to use this as a means to gain momentum for a feature or an animated series or something (he wouldn't specify beyond "there's more coming"), so they kind of get what they deserve if this book crashes and burns as far as I'm concerned.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 31st July 2014 - 01:22 AM