22 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Fringe
G-Man
post Sep 10 2008, 08:12 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,660

Did anybody catch the series premeire of the new series "Fringe" last night? A power outage at my house lead to me missing it. Is it something I should try to check into?

--------------------
"Reality is only for those who lack imagination" don't know who first said that....but it works for me!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Ron Fortier
post Sep 10 2008, 08:29 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 1,427

Oh yeah. I was going to mention viewing this earlier today but didn't have time. Once again J.J.Abrams is firing on all cylinders in this
X-Files like series with lots of very nifty sci-fi ideas and occult underpinnings. A really good cast delivers, as each of these characters is
flawed but united in their understanding that there something foul in the world and needs exposing. All in all this 90 minute opener hooked me solid. If the regular episodes are this good, they've got a big hit on their hands.

+Quote Post
Midnight Fiction
post Sep 10 2008, 09:05 PM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 2,468

Excellent debut! The opening airs again on Sunday night, in case you missed it.

Also, it had limited commercial interruptions which helped keep viewers "in the show". Very well done!

I concur with Ron's X-Files comparison. Lots of intrigue and pushing the boundaries of science and technology ala Eureka, but without the humor.

--------------------

+Quote Post
G-Man
post Sep 11 2008, 03:01 AM
Post #4

With a thumbs up from you two guys it sounds like a show I DEFINITELY should check into. Thanks for the info about the additional showing Sunday night. Sounds like a good way to end a weekend to me!

--------------------
"Reality is only for those who lack imagination" don't know who first said that....but it works for me!

+Quote Post
ChuckMoore
post Sep 11 2008, 10:44 AM
Post #5

Site Creator

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1

I missed it, but I've heard they're planning to reshow it Sunday. I hope to grab it then. Everyone at the office was talking about it yesterday. I didn't hear a negative word in the bunch.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ron Fortier
post Sep 11 2008, 11:57 AM
Post #6

Chuck, without spoilers here for those who didn't see it and are planning on catching it Sunday, here's a snippet of dialogue I remember
almost verbatim from this premier.
Character one - "How long has he been dead?"
Character two - "About five hours."
Character one - "Hmm, alright. Question him."

+Quote Post
Glen Davis
post Sep 11 2008, 12:28 PM
Post #7

Advanced Member

Member No.: 2,419

I watched the premiere, and was disappointed. I'll give it a few weeks to convince me.

+Quote Post
Ron Fortier
post Sep 11 2008, 02:24 PM
Post #8

Sorry, it didn't wow you, Glen. I just like this cast a lot, and have to admit that ending did surprise and raised my appreciation by several notches. At the same time, the story taking place primarily in familiar New England settings was a big plus for me.

+Quote Post
ChuckMoore
post Sep 13 2008, 05:38 PM
Post #9

Site Creator

Tivo is programmed and I Katie wants to see it as well based on recommendations here. I hope to get to watch it while recording tomorrow night.

--------------------

+Quote Post
G-Man
post Sep 15 2008, 04:14 AM
Post #10

FINALLY got a chance to watch the first episode of Fringe although ANOTHER power outage almost got in the way. Over all.....wasn't that impressed. It may help to have been an X-Files fan....I never was....and from what I saw of the X-Files....this is better.

A couple of big reveals in the last thirty minutes of the ninety minute broadcast made me glad I didn't switch over to the Browns/Steelers game and was enough to bring me back Tuesday night at 9:00.....at least one more time.

If I had my choice...I would have liked to have seen how Daybreak (Taye Diggs series a few years back) ended than buy into the Fringe series.

--------------------

+Quote Post
G-Man
post Sep 16 2008, 08:33 PM
Post #11

Second episode of Fringe, much better than the series premiere. Just the distraction I needed. I didn't even mind Joshua Jackson that much. Great cliffhanger.....and killer cameo by That 70's Show.....Vista Cruiser!!!!

--------------------

+Quote Post
G-Man
post Sep 24 2008, 05:26 AM
Post #12

Third episode...could have easily been called "Crash Course In Brain Surgery". I think the show has gotten better with each episode so far and believe I'm officially on the verge of being hooked. Opening scene of last night's show was ...horrifying to think how realistic something like that can be. Nice touch in making it a "Fringe" type event.

I first thought the character of Roy was a cheap version of Issaac (one of the few characters on Heroes who has stayed dead....so far)...but they did a great job of making him very different.

I'm beginning to appreciate and identify with the characters Peter and Walter Bishop...Walter has become my favorite part of the series.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ron Fortier
post Sep 24 2008, 07:41 AM
Post #13

G-Man, I'm really glad to hear the show is slowly winning you over. I honestly think the cast is terrific and each of them pulls off their
personalities perfectly. I mean even the FBI agent assistant last night who helps them translate the latin phrases. Its those small touches
that, as I writer myself, I appreciate as they add layers to these characters. And that opening was totally a creepy Fringe opening. Now
if Josh Whedon's DOLLHOUSE proves as much fun, then this is really going to be a super TV watching season.

+Quote Post
ChuckMoore
post Sep 24 2008, 12:51 PM
Post #14

Site Creator

Dollhouse... I'm dying to see that show.

Three Fringe episodes safely locked away in the tivo cue. Soon they will be watched! Katie and I have been spending the last few months watching X-Files (she for the first time, me for the memories). We're about 12 episodes away from finishing the entire 9 season history of the show. Having Fringe waiting sounds like it will be a nice follow-up to the flavor of X-Files.

--------------------

+Quote Post
G-Man
post Sep 24 2008, 07:24 PM
Post #15

When you get a chance to watch it....let me know...was that a duck? Or was that a rabbit?

--------------------

+Quote Post
G-Man
post Sep 30 2008, 08:31 PM
Post #16

Ten things that made tonight's episode of Fringe the best thing I've seen on t.v in the last ten days.
In order of appearance.

1. Perfectly placed cover of Patsy Cline's "Crazy", sang by Willie Nelson.
2. "Roast beef sandwhich. On a roll. Meat as raw as possible. Room temperature water. No Ice. Do you have any jalapenos?"
"Yeah. I think we have those."
" Eleven of them , please. On the side."
3. The chemical composition of Root Beer.
4. Creepy phone calls late at night.
5. A mysterious mercenary, classic muscle cars, bad ass machine gun.....(kinda like an automatic , sawed off 12 gauge shotgun), and telepathic nose plogs.
6. Project Thor.
7. Weird bald guys with no eyebrows who "like to watch."

(No. Not this guy.)

8. "Apples. Banannas. Rhinnoceroses."
9. Cocoa Cocoa Puffs and Kentucky Boubon makes you see dead people.
10. No Massive Dynamics connection.

The only thing I didn't like about this episode.....I have to wait for two weeks to see a new episode because of something called.......baseball?

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ron Fortier
post Sep 30 2008, 09:05 PM
Post #17

AAGHHH! Which is the sound Ron makes on reading your review of this, the first episode he had to miss because he was at the airport picking up his wife. And no, I don't have TiVo. Damn, here's praying when rerun season comes round, this will be re-aired. ohmy.gif

+Quote Post
G-Man
post Oct 1 2008, 03:48 AM
Post #18

It's "strange" you should mention "sound".

"2 mghz to 4 mghz, and back again."

How's that for subliminal use of quotation marks?

--------------------

+Quote Post
G-Man
post Oct 1 2008, 05:25 AM
Post #19

In my haste to get last night's post up before hitting the sack I "accidentally" cut off the complete quote for item # 8 on the above list. The complete statement should have read....

8. "Apples. Banannas. Rhinnoceroses. I Want To Hold Your Hand. Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds"

We now return you to your regularly scheduled forum.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Midnight Fiction
post Oct 1 2008, 08:39 PM
Post #20

Advanced Member

Member No.: 2,468

Great recap G-Man! I agree it was a great episode! The more these characters are revealed the more interesting they get.

--------------------

+Quote Post

22 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th August 2014 - 05:13 PM