Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Of Wolf And Man
G-Man
post Nov 1 2008, 11:01 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,660

I have always been a big fan of Marvel's monster characters....the modern...misunderstood characters like the Man-Thing (who I've been talking a lot about recently), Morbius, Satana...and her brother the Son of Satan. I would love to see a limited series that was in essence a twisted version of the Fantastic Four featuring most of these characters...and one more.

Michael Morbius....in the Reed Richards role.
Son of Satan....and his sister Satana filling in for Johnny and Sue.
And the Man-Wolf....the strong guy with a temper.

Now that's project a guy would sell his soul to write....well maybe not go that far....but I would beg a whole lot to get a chance to write something like that.

One of the characters in that cast....the Man-Wolf (a.k.a....John Jameson...son of skin flint J.Jonah Jameson) has been mentioned as one of the possible villains that may be appearing in the next Spiderman film. I'm not sure if that will really happen...but it's enough to make me want to spend some time looking back at the history of the character.

Amazing Spider-Man #124-125 marked the first time we saw JJJ's beloved son turned into a super-powered werewolf. At the end of Spider-Man #125 Spidey rips the moonstone from John Jameson's neck seemingly curing John of his curse at the same time.

Giant Size Super Heroes #1 sees John tranformed into the Man-Wolf once again thanks to Morbius re-attaching the gemstone back to John's neck in a feeble attempt to use the blood of the Man-Wolf as a cure for his own self induced vampirism.

He would next appear in Marvel Team-Up #36-37...at the conclusion of that story he is placed in S.H.I.E.L.D. custody...but he soons escapes....into his own book.

Man-Wolf took over the leading role in the Creatures on the Loose book as of issue #30. The book featured artwork by George Perez in one of his first assignments for Marvel. Man-Wolf is actually hunted by Kraven during his run on the book (a storyline that would look very good on the big screen, especially if someone could persuade Gerad Butler to play Kraven)....Creatures on the Loose would be cancelled with issue #37 before the storyline being told by David Anthony Kraft and George Perez and that saw Man-Wolf stalked by mysterious warriors from the moon could reach it's completion.

Kraft and Perez would see their storyline reach it's conclusion in the pages of Marvel Premiere #45-46...in the fan favorite "Star-God" story. At the conclusion of issue #46...John had returned to Earth....denying his destiny as the protector of Other-World.

After returning home....the affects on the moonstone gem starts to act like a cancer and makes John deathly ill. He's placed in cyrogenic deep freeze until a cure can be found...but he is later abducted by Spencer Smythe who finds a way to control the Man-wolf and uses him as a pawn in an attempt to get revenge on J.Jonah Jameson...by having the son kill the father. Thanks to Spider-Man his plan fails...but it appears the John Jameson dies as Smythe apparently blows his up by triggering an explosive device secretly hidden on the younger Jameson.

This story...by Marv Wolfman, John Byrne, and Jim Mooney really makes it difficult to pick a favroite Man-Wolf story...up this point it was the Star-God story....with this story....it's a serious toss up between the two.

And as for the fate of Man-Wolf.....

Writer David Anthony Kraft would come to the Man-Wolf's rescue....revealing that his beloved character had not died in that explosion but instead hurled into the Other-World realm once more and back into the reluctant role of Star-God. She-Hulk and Hellcat help save the troubled world and free Man-Wolf from his duties as a savior he never wanted to be.

John Jameson would finally be cured of the curse of the Man-Wolf in Peter Parker Spectacular Spider-Man Annual #3. Jameson would go on to become a pilot for the Avengers and Captain America.....briefly transform back into Man-Wolf and Star-God a time or two in Amazing Spider-Man....and actually marry She-Hulk....but we're not really going to mention that storyline here.

As far as I'm concerned.....I'm waiting for my copy of Essential Man-Wolf which features the above stories from Amazing Spider-Man #124 all the through Peter Parker Annual #3.

If Man-Wolf is really in Spider-Man 4 I wouldn't doubt if Marvel would release that book...come to think of it...I own all this stuff already...I'll just have to make time to read it all in order.

That should be a howling good time.

--------------------
"Reality is only for those who lack imagination" don't know who first said that....but it works for me!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Glen Davis
post Nov 2 2008, 01:52 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 2,419

I'm a big fan of Man Wolf myself, especially the Marvel Premiere story. Man Wolf, with a sword, IN SPACE! How cool is that?

Jameson transformed into the Manwolf during the infamous, much derided "Cap Wolf" storyline.

Are you reading Astounding WolfMan? That's great werewolf action!

+Quote Post
G-Man
post Nov 2 2008, 02:21 PM
Post #3

I read the first two issues of Astounding Wolf-Man....and actually liked it. But I didn't pick up any more issues , not because the book wasn't godo...I just have to really limit what I buy.

I saw they recently collected the first five issues or so in a trade paperback. I might pick that up. Saw it mentioned in Monster Pile Up #1...which I picked up because of the Perhapanauts story.

I liked the Star-God story so much as a kid, I created my own Space Werewolf character....called him SPACE WOLF.....how's that for originality and creativity at it's best!

You know that character wasn't half bad.....maybe I should knock the cob webs off the guy.

--------------------
"Reality is only for those who lack imagination" don't know who first said that....but it works for me!

+Quote Post
Dave Arhar
post Nov 6 2008, 06:48 PM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Member No.: 2,478

When I was a youngster back in the mid-70's, I had the version of the Man-Wolf/ Spidey story that came with the lp record. The narration and sound effects scared the hell out of me! Oh yeah! Good stuff!

--------------------

+Quote Post
G-Man
post Nov 6 2008, 08:28 PM
Post #5

Good stuff indeed!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Glen Davis
post Nov 6 2008, 09:52 PM
Post #6

Advanced Member

Member No.: 2,419

I sitll have it somewhere.

+Quote Post
ChuckMoore
post Nov 7 2008, 01:03 PM
Post #7

Site Creator

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1

I listened to that Power Records Spidey so many times when I was little I think I wore out the grooves on the 45...

--------------------

+Quote Post
Dave Arhar
post Nov 8 2008, 11:14 PM
Post #8

Advanced Member

Member No.: 2,478

Ah, so good to know I'm not the only one who remembers that one! A true classic! Thank you for posting that G-Man! I need to pick that up, along with the Justice League record! I pretty much buy up all the old Man-Wolf appearances when I see them, and I have a sneaky suspicion the record might have made Man-Wolf fans out of more kids than just me. I really miss it.

Not to change the subject too drastically, but does anyone remember a haunted house record from the '70's with a bright orange cover? It was narrated by a spooky sounding woman, and one of the tales was about Chinese water torture. Also, in one story, I think it might have been the last one on the record, a spaceship lands on an alien planet, and you can hear the astronaut's bones crunching as they're being eaten alive.

Good times!

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd October 2014 - 12:23 AM