Reply to this topicStart new topic
About Indy-Pendant
Gonzogoose
post Aug 1 2009, 10:28 AM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 589

This must be a column-themed day. First the announcement of the return of Journey of a Wannabe, now this.

Those of you who have followed me for a while will recognize the name of this post well. For others, this was the name of the first comics column I ever wrote over at www.comicavalanche.com back in 2005-2007. It ran for 75 installments, and covered independent creators, publishers and titles.

The column was a way to force myself to pay more attention to independent comics, and also to give the little guys some much needed exposure. And since that fits very well into the theme and purpose of Comic Related, I thought what better place to bring it back to than here?

I have talked with Chuck about this in the past, but was waiting for the right time to bring it back, and I think now is the right time.

That said, I am only bringing it back in archive fashion... for now. That means I am "reprinting" all 75 installments on a weekly basis starting soon. Once those 75 run we'll go from there.

These columns are currently not available anywhere else as CA took them down eons ago. And some of the companies I talked about are no longer in existence. But it's still some interesting stuff that may entice you to track down some of the books.

Now, I'm sure you are all wondering why I misspelled the word "independent" in the title of this post. Basically, when I came up with the title of the column I thought I was being clever with a little play on words. The "Indy" is obvious, but the "Pendant" was meant to represent a gem of sorts, calling independent comics indy pendants if you will, hence the spelling and the hyphen. A little corny in retrospect, but it is what it is, and that's how it's staying... I think.

Anyway, I hope you enjoy these as much as I enjoyed writing them. I'll keep you posted when they will go live.

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Jon Hodges
post Aug 1 2009, 11:01 AM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 2,809

QUOTE (Gonzogoose @ Aug 1 2009, 12:28 PM) *
Now, I'm sure you are all wondering why I misspelled the word "independent" in the title of this post. Basically, when I came up with the title of the column I thought I was being clever with a little play on words. The "Indy" is obvious, but the "Pendant" was meant to represent a gem of sorts, calling independent comics indy pendants if you will, hence the spelling and the hyphen. A little corny in retrospect, but it is what it is, and that's how it's staying... I think.

And here I thought you were referencing Hermie from Rudolph, the Red-Nosed Reindeer. wink.gif

+Quote Post
Gonzogoose
post Aug 1 2009, 11:09 AM
Post #3

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Jon Hodges @ Aug 1 2009, 01:01 PM) *
And here I thought you were referencing Hermie from Rudolph, the Red-Nosed Reindeer. wink.gif

Ha, nice one. smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
ChuckMoore
post Aug 3 2009, 08:30 PM
Post #4

Site Creator

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1

Looking forward to reading them!!!!!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Crazz
post Aug 3 2009, 09:11 PM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Member No.: 2,835

I thought they named the Dog Indiana?

tongue.gif

--------------------
You can Email me or visit my blog, Desultory Views, which I do update when I get the chance.

+Quote Post
Cary
post Aug 4 2009, 11:17 AM
Post #6

Advanced Member

Member No.: 2,957

QUOTE (Crazz @ Aug 3 2009, 10:11 PM) *
I thought they named the Dog Indiana?

tongue.gif

ladies and gentlemen, Chuck Kennedy has returned!! Kneel before Chuck Prime! biggrin.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Crazz
post Aug 4 2009, 12:29 PM
Post #7

Advanced Member

smile.gif

That made me laguh!!

--------------------
You can Email me or visit my blog, Desultory Views, which I do update when I get the chance.

+Quote Post
Cary
post Aug 4 2009, 05:41 PM
Post #8

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Crazz @ Aug 4 2009, 01:29 PM) *
smile.gif

That made me laguh!!

it's even funnier if you read it back using the Darth Vader voice. just...saying. cool.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Jason Berek-Lewi...
post Aug 5 2009, 06:44 AM
Post #9

Advanced Member

Member No.: 2,831

These were great columns - you even got me to try out some new books. But, that was before indy books cost me $8 per issue!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Cary
post Aug 5 2009, 11:04 AM
Post #10

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Jason Berek-Lewis @ Aug 5 2009, 07:44 AM) *
These were great columns - you even got me to try out some new books. But, that was before indy books cost me $8 per issue!

not ALL indy books cost you that much. smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Crazz
post Aug 5 2009, 12:54 PM
Post #11

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Cary @ Aug 5 2009, 12:04 PM) *
not ALL indy books cost you that much. smile.gif

In the Luxury suites at the Dallas Cowboys new stadium they are charging $46 for a mainstream comic and $62 for Indys!!

Sorry Cary, I was just over at that thread and I couldn't resist that comment, which would probably be true at ANY NFL luxury suite.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Cary
post Aug 5 2009, 02:02 PM
Post #12

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Crazz @ Aug 5 2009, 01:54 PM) *
In the Luxury suites at the Dallas Cowboys new stadium they are charging $46 for a mainstream comic and $62 for Indys!!

Sorry Cary, I was just over at that thread and I couldn't resist that comment, which would probably be true at ANY NFL luxury suite.

lol nah that's cool. it's not like we haven't derailed every other thread Brant has started anyway. smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gonzogoose
post Oct 11 2009, 01:03 AM
Post #13

Advanced Member

Two months later and I'll try to get it back on track, Cary. smile.gif

Is everyone digging the column? This is more of a question for those that didn't read it the first time around, but I'll gladly read comments from the peanut gallery that did as well. smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2014 - 05:57 AM