Reply to this topicStart new topic
Cover Gallery
Cary
post Aug 7 2009, 11:26 AM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,957

I figured since this might be the first place new folks get exposed to the series, I'd show you the covers to Fallen Justice. So here they are!

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Gonzogoose
post Aug 7 2009, 12:47 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 589

While I love all the covers and Harold's art in general, it's wild to see the progression and improvement from cover to cover. The broken glass one's still probably my favorite, and I love what Ross achieved with the coloring on that one, differentiating between the glass and the photo underneath. Beautiful.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Cary
post Aug 7 2009, 01:40 PM
Post #3

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Gonzogoose @ Aug 7 2009, 01:47 PM) *
While I love all the covers and Harold's art in general, it's wild to see the progression and improvement from cover to cover. The broken glass one's still probably my favorite, and I love what Ross achieved with the coloring on that one, differentiating between the glass and the photo underneath. Beautiful.

Man, there's SO much history in just the covers to this series! The cover to issue 1 was always the cover. That one was the one right out the gate. Issue 2 was the same way.

Issue 3...we had some hiccups. We had...three different covers for that one. I'll show you some of those later when I have time to dig em up. But after we settled on the art, then Ross developed two variants on THAT one! So that was a big thing to decide which to use in the end. I finally went with the orange version because we'd had so much blue up to that point and I wanted it to really stand out. You can see the blue variant in some places still around. I used it on a couple of ads in various books, and I think that's the version I used in the PDF previews as well. Can't remember. I'lk find it and post it up as well so folks can see.

Issue 4 is funny. I LOVE that cover. And Harold hates it. So much so that he actually redrew the entire piece! But that one would have to be my second favorite of all of them.

Issue 5 is also my hands down favorite cover. The whole issue is probably among my favorites, so it would stand to reason that the cover would rank highly too, but both Harold and Ross really knocked this out of the park. Bit of trivia for you guys. Can you spot the mistake? smile.gif

Issue 6 tosses you a little foreshadowing it you're observant enough to catch it. And that's all I'll say about that.

and Issue 7 was...murder. We looked at doing so many things with this, but ultimately I decided to go with a pretty simple design. The original intent, believe it or not was something along the lines of the "Snowblind" cover that John Byrne did on Alpha Flight. Always loved that cover, and that type look really suited the feeling I wanted to evoke. So Harold turns in the basic cover and we send it over to Ross. Who goes apeshit all over it! He really did an incredible job on it and I couldn't stop looking at it. Notice the flames underneath and the stars and light in the upper portion? All Ross. But we weren't done. We were already having a couple of things made up for the internal pages on issue 6 as overlays. (You'll see down the road) So Ross suggested that we do up something to fade into the cape of the cover, and that was all she wrote. We ended up with...5 or six overlay tests all total for the cover, and picked the one you see here as the most powerful.

So yeah, anyone who things the covers are the easy part...they need their heads examined!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ross Hughes
post Aug 10 2009, 10:44 AM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Member No.: 2,898

Did someone mention the blue variant?

Man, I still want to go back and re-work those covers (1 and 2). I'm going to get around to it eventually, and then Cary will have some variants for those as well. I can really tell how raw I was. I may do that once I get the colors for issue #7 wrapped up.

I'm on the fence about the cover for issue #4. There are some parts that I really like, but of the 7 covers, I felt like this one didn't fit. Probably because the star of the show wasn't on it. I think you can get away with that in an ongoing series, but in a mini-series, I would want to show the main character as much as I could on the cover. Maybe that's just me.

The cover to issue #5 isn't my favorite, but it was the most fun to work on. There was an interesting contrast in the creative process for me. When I was coloring the picture of the group, there was this great familial vibe going on and everything just felt good about it. But then as soon as I overlayed the broken picture frame, the vibe just changed. Like, "oh, damn. Something bad had to have happened here."

Mistake???? .....Neurosis....taking....over.....What mistake!??!?! What did I do???

The cover to issue #6 is actually my favorite. I'm not sure why. I think maybe it all came together just a little bit better than issue #5's cover. I know what the foreshadowing is, but I'm not going to ruin things.....

The cover for the seventh issue was pretty fun, especially since I got involved early in the creative process. Usually colorists get the finished lineart and just do what we do. It was really cool to kick around ideas with Cary and Harold about how we wanted to handle the cover. Harold was churning out incredible sketches that we ended up picking different parts of to get to the finished product. The end result gives the perfect mood for each character. Here is the cover split:

And Cary, we totally need to do a trivia thread. There are so many inside jokes, easter eggs, and nods to other comics in this series that we could go on for days just trying to find them all. Not to mention the back stories for why we did certain things.

For example, the cover to issue number 6. The character on the ground that is colored in green and orange, originally showed up in issue #4. If memory serves, it was just a throw-away appearance and he only appeared in one panel. At the time I was coloring #4, I thought it would be funny if there was this flamboyantly gay superhero that was running around out there, so I colored him in pink and purple. Then the cover to issue #6 came around and I realized the same character was now laying on the ground after having been killed by JT. I remember thinking about how politically incorrect that cover might appear when it's got JT going ape-snot over a old man, a black guy, and a gay guy, and decided to diffuse that by making the guy a Mirror Master clone. Or was I over-thinking it? biggrin.gif

--------------------
Ross Hughes

Freelance Digital Colorist
Samples can be found here: My Gallery

E-mail me for rates and availability here:
Hughescoloring@comcast.net

Follow me on Twitter:
@hughescoloring

+Quote Post
Cary
post Aug 11 2009, 09:36 PM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Ha! There you go Ross thanks for the save on the blue cover! We're fully gonna use that somewhere at some point...lol just not sure where!

And you know, you're totally right about the cover to issue 4 being different because it doesn't have Justice Theta on it. In fact it's the only one that doesn't. But there were a couple of reasons for that. One, because we get ugly in issue 4 in a lot of ways. I won't spoil things here because that's not right, but I think once people read issue 4 they're gonna have a whole other weird stance on the whole series. It's one of those "oh wow." things that is gonna really take people by storm. The second reason was I wanted a break from Justice Theta, and who better to give it to than Dynagirl? She seemed like the natural choice. But yeah it's jarring when you look at all seven covers together and say "Hey! Wait a second!" lol I hadn't considered that till you mentioned it Ross.

hehe As to the mistake...nah, this isn't something you did at all Ross. This mistake was fundamental from the ground up in the piece itself. I'll see if anyone can get it before I spill it.

HA! See i never even realized that was the same guy with the variance in colors! The guy you're talking about appeared in issue #4 and I named him Jumper. I'd just watched the movie 'Jumper' and had been coming up with hero names non stop for hours and it just felt right, so I used it. (a bit of trivia here, I also used an expression and a banking term as hero names in the same issue!) But yeah man come to think of it, he IS the same guy! hehe I like that! More trivia for the thread!

And of all the covers I'll have to say right now #7 was the most fun. Having Ross in the mix tossing ideas around was a lot of fun for both Harold and I and it brought a whole other dynamic to the process we hadn't taken advantage of before, mostly because the other covers in the series were pretty straight forward. But yeah, it rocked having all three of us making with ideas and suggestions. It only served to further underscore the fact that the book has been such a collaborative effort from the word go. There is no simple "artist" or "writer" or "colorist" on this project. We've all crossed borders so much it's become that group dynamic.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Paige
post Jan 22 2010, 02:13 PM
Post #6

Advanced Member

Member No.: 19,241

QUOTE (Ross Hughes @ Aug 10 2009, 11:44 AM) *
Did someone mention the blue variant?

Man, I still want to go back and re-work those covers (1 and 2). I'm going to get around to it eventually, and then Cary will have some variants for those as well. I can really tell how raw I was. I may do that once I get the colors for issue #7 wrapped up.

I'm on the fence about the cover for issue #4. There are some parts that I really like, but of the 7 covers, I felt like this one didn't fit. Probably because the star of the show wasn't on it. I think you can get away with that in an ongoing series, but in a mini-series, I would want to show the main character as much as I could on the cover. Maybe that's just me.

The cover to issue #5 isn't my favorite, but it was the most fun to work on. There was an interesting contrast in the creative process for me. When I was coloring the picture of the group, there was this great familial vibe going on and everything just felt good about it. But then as soon as I overlayed the broken picture frame, the vibe just changed. Like, "oh, damn. Something bad had to have happened here."

Mistake???? .....Neurosis....taking....over.....What mistake!??!?! What did I do???

The cover to issue #6 is actually my favorite. I'm not sure why. I think maybe it all came together just a little bit better than issue #5's cover. I know what the foreshadowing is, but I'm not going to ruin things.....

The cover for the seventh issue was pretty fun, especially since I got involved early in the creative process. Usually colorists get the finished lineart and just do what we do. It was really cool to kick around ideas with Cary and Harold about how we wanted to handle the cover. Harold was churning out incredible sketches that we ended up picking different parts of to get to the finished product. The end result gives the perfect mood for each character. Here is the cover split:

And Cary, we totally need to do a trivia thread. There are so many inside jokes, easter eggs, and nods to other comics in this series that we could go on for days just trying to find them all. Not to mention the back stories for why we did certain things.

For example, the cover to issue number 6. The character on the ground that is colored in green and orange, originally showed up in issue #4. If memory serves, it was just a throw-away appearance and he only appeared in one panel. At the time I was coloring #4, I thought it would be funny if there was this flamboyantly gay superhero that was running around out there, so I colored him in pink and purple. Then the cover to issue #6 came around and I realized the same character was now laying on the ground after having been killed by JT. I remember thinking about how politically incorrect that cover might appear when it's got JT going ape-snot over a old man, a black guy, and a gay guy, and decided to diffuse that by making the guy a Mirror Master clone. Or was I over-thinking it? biggrin.gif

Love the last one with Dynagirl crying..... Your artist really gave the perfect look to you Characters... Like his style was made just for them....

--------------------
Creator of Pinpont...
e-mail me unitedmindsstudios@yahoo.com..

+Quote Post
Cary
post Jan 23 2010, 12:17 AM
Post #7

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Paige @ Jan 22 2010, 02:13 PM) *
Love the last one with Dynagirl crying..... Your artist really gave the perfect look to you Characters... Like his style was made just for them....

Oh yeah Harold has fully made these characters his own in so many subtle ways. Once you get the whole story you'll be able to see how prophetic the fade into the cape really is. It's kinda funny actually because I didn't notice that at first. Glad you like it sir!

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st August 2014 - 09:56 PM