Reply to this topicStart new topic
"Real" Superhero Fiction!
Andrew Salmon
post Aug 7 2009, 05:57 PM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,185

Okay, here's where we get down to the nitty gritty!

We all know that pulp fiction gave birth to the superheroes we have today. So having my pulp work on comicrelated makes more than a little sense.

But the site is called COMICrelated and one should have, at least, dabbled in superheroes to show one's face around here.

Well, my contribution to the superhero genre to date is poor ol' Fred Brand, a most unlikely superhero. I've been chronicling his adventures in a serial novel running in A THOUSAND FACES magazine. I've done 5 tales to date and they have appeared in issues #0, 2, 3, 5, 7.

The first tale, "SOAR" ran in issue #0 and was supposed to be the only Fred Brand tale. The premise is this: Fred Brand has an addiction: he's addicted to flying. Flying, superhero-style. As a young punk he was caught by Madame Chance and flown to prison and that feeling of dangling above the city was the best feeling in the world, better than any drug he'd ever taken. So he spent the rest of his life committing crimes just to get caught and be flown to prison by superheroes.

When we encounter him for the first time he's in his early 40s and life is looking bleak. So he decides to go for the biggest flight of his life and winds up with powers of his own. The ensuing tales deal with Brand's struggles to come to grips with what kind of hero he wants to be in a world where being a hero might not mean what he thinks it does.

This stories have been a lot of fun to write and I've got another cooking along right now.

If anyone is curious, they can be checked out at http://www.lulu.com/thousand-faces
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 1st October 2014 - 10:17 AM