Reply to this topicStart new topic
Who we are--how we came to be
Mark Ellis
post Aug 8 2009, 11:34 AM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,619

Millennial Concepts is publishing imprint formed in 2008 by my wife Melissa and I.

Although I've been a full-time novelist for the last 15 years, I worked as a creator in the comics field throughout the 1980s, writing most of Adventure Publications' titles, as well as scripting books for Innovation and several other publishers.

In 1990, Melissa and I formed Millennium Publications with a third partner and we published some very successful titles such as Anne Rice’s The Mummy...

...a series based on The Wild Wild West

And what is generally considered to be the most faithful comics adaptation of Doc Savage.

During our time at Millennium, we gave artists like Darryl Banks and the late Mike Wieringo their first major exposure.

In 1993, we sold our interests in Millennium but retained ownership of a number of comics properties, such as Nosferatu, The Miskatonic Project and The New Justice Machine.

Over the next decade-plus, I focused on building a career as a novelist and pretty much assumed working in the comics field was in the past.

In 2007 when Melissa and I were contracted by Adams Media to produce The Everything Guide to Writing Graphic Novels, we learned that the graphic novel form had exploded in popularity over the last few years.

We realized that graphic novels had supplanted comic books ("floppies") as the preferred graphic narrative, Melissa and I decided to take the properties we owned and present them as graphic novels.

After putting together Death Hawk: The Soulworm Saga, I queried Gary Reed about publishing it through the newly formed Transfuzion. I was aware of Caliber during the 90s and had met Gary on a couple of occasions at trade shows. I had always been impressed with the diversity of Caliber’s output.

Melissa, a professional graphic designer and photographer as well as a writer focuses on the layout and design of the graphic novels. She is the author of The Everything Guide to Photography, 2nd Ed., and the just released The Everything Ghost Hunting Book.

As a homage to our first company, we decided to call ourselves Millennial Concepts and we revived the first Millennium ‘M’ logo as designed by Melissa nearly 20 years ago.

Although we've released several books in conjunction with Transfuzion, we've had to rethink our strategy after the recent Diamond distribution policy changes affected the viablility of gearing our product for the direct market.

Currently, Millennial Concepts has a number of projects in production and the planning stages...I'll post regular updates.

This post has been edited by Mark Ellis: Mar 12 2010, 07:59 AM

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Glen Davis
post Mar 11 2010, 07:20 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 2,419

I own that Wild Wild West series. Pretty good stuff.

+Quote Post
Cary
post Mar 11 2010, 07:28 PM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 2,957

Hey cool! I actually owned some of the Anne Rice adaptations. I met Anne in New Orleans and had her sign them! Great to see you guys getting back into the game so to speak!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Mark Ellis
post Mar 12 2010, 07:45 AM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Member No.: 2,619

QUOTE (Cary @ Mar 11 2010, 08:28 PM) *
Hey cool! I actually owned some of the Anne Rice adaptations. I met Anne in New Orleans and had her sign them! Great to see you guys getting back into the game so to speak!

Thanks, guys...we've had a couple of delays but we still have books not just in the planning stages but in production. We came out with Nosferatu: Plague of Terror this past fall. Our next TPB will be another Mr. Holmes & Dr. Watson volume.

I haven't spoken of this before, but last spring we were contracted to produce an ambitious educational graphic novel about the global disappearance of honey-bees.

That (paying) project has been taking up most of our production time--not to mention putting the final touches on Cryptozoica and various and sundry projects like running writer's workshops, editing gigs, scripting Gulliver of Mars, and stuff like that--oh, yeah and a Green Hornet story.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Cary
post Mar 12 2010, 11:53 AM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Member No.: 2,957

Gulliver of Mars sounds really cool!

--------------------

+Quote Post
SkeleTony
post Jul 21 2011, 02:25 AM
Post #6

Member No.: 2,688

Any more updates Mr. Ellis?

--------------------
"I am in a very peculiar business; I travel all over the world telling people what they should already know." - James "The Amazing" Randi

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd September 2014 - 04:18 AM