Total Votes: 32
Guests cannot vote 
Hamlet
post Mar 5 2008, 08:14 PM
Post #21

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 13,886

Allright someone voted for me. Thanks. I like to give critiques but I find out that you learn more by doing i still haven't grasp this anatomy issue yet.

Greg's reminds me of a Mignola design piece.

Anthony's a basic head piece something you would find on the bottom of a comic book in the old days like a spiderman face on the bottom in a rectangle.

Mr Fixit comes closest to qualifying in an actual Eagle comics page.

and last Mr. M a Jim Lee, Liefield era period especially with the bullet cracks.

Interesting if you put all these pieces together you can make a Judge Dredd comic book. The Cover(greg), the pin up(mine), the insignia(Anthony) and the two interior(Mtopolski and Fixit).

--------------------
Stop the persecution of Falun Gong practitioners in China!

www.faluninfo.net

A journey of a thousand [miles] starts with a single step.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Anthony Lee_merg...
post Mar 6 2008, 03:40 AM
Post #22

Advanced Member

Member No.: 14,100

("kuzuSkot":3cfhjui0)
btw- anthony, that's a pro ink job on that head, very, nice.
it looks like your using a brush, if so, what type?

Thanks, man. Though I'm definitely not pro on the inking side...
I use whatever seems to work. On this piece, I used Faber-castel Pitt pens for the outline to give it a thick outline, microns for the hatching, and I have a Pentel brush pen that uses cartridges much like a fountain pen, to do any brush strokes. Unlike many "brush" pens, this actually is a brush. It's almost a japanese calligraphy pen. I highly reccomend them. They come with 4 cartridges included in the pack, drawing ink, not writing ink.

--------------------
HEY, KIDS! WHY NOT CHECK OUT MY CRAP? ER... I MEAN... WONDERFUL WORK. YES... THAT'S WHAT I MEANT.
ANTHONY'S COMICSPACE

OR EVEN COMMISSION SOME ART!

+Quote Post
kuzu
post Mar 6 2008, 10:42 AM
Post #23

Advanced Member

Member No.: 2,967

ah, the pitt pens, i've found to be a hassle when it comes to erasing pencils, one of the main reasons i use non photo blue... the microns are by far the worse.

The pential brush pen i've heard allot of good things about, however more then one artist i've talked to has mentioned, change the ink they come with... none have really been forth coming with why or with what.

Raphael link makes a really good brush, i used them while at the Kubert School, but quickly switched to the W/N series 7... however like most fine art supplies from W/N they nolonger are worth the money, they split even in water tests.

tools are important, depending on what your going for. I've been using staedtler pigment liners and copic multiliner sp's. i resently picked up a brush pen from copic, but haven't had the time to try it.

+Quote Post
Anthony Lee_merg...
post Mar 7 2008, 09:52 AM
Post #24

Advanced Member

("kuzuSkot":34wu2sag)
ah, the pitt pens, i've found to be a hassle when it comes to erasing pencils, one of the main reasons i use non photo blue... the microns are by far the worse.

The pential brush pen i've heard allot of good things about, however more then one artist i've talked to has mentioned, change the ink they come with... none have really been forth coming with why or with what.

Raphael link makes a really good brush, i used them while at the Kubert School, but quickly switched to the W/N series 7... however like most fine art supplies from W/N they nolonger are worth the money, they split even in water tests.

tools are important, depending on what your going for. I've been using staedtler pigment liners and copic multiliner sp's. i resently picked up a brush pen from copic, but haven't had the time to try it.

I think it could be that the ink in the provided cartridges can smudge quite easily. And it can bleed out a little on some art boards. It seems to take a while to dry, but if you go carefully it's OK.
I always pencil and ink with a piece of copy paper under my drawing hand, that seems to stop smudges too.
And thanks to whichever misguided soul gave me a vote... I feel the love... :)

--------------------
HEY, KIDS! WHY NOT CHECK OUT MY CRAP? ER... I MEAN... WONDERFUL WORK. YES... THAT'S WHAT I MEANT.
ANTHONY'S COMICSPACE

+Quote Post
kuzu
post Mar 7 2008, 10:19 AM
Post #25

Advanced Member

thats such a better reason the "it just sucks" or "it's crap" which is the normal answers i've heard.

and copy paper under the hand is a good trick,for inking and penciling.

also a thin white cotton glove with the fingers cut off is good to use with HB pencils and helps keep the smugging down, it's washable and reuseable :)

+Quote Post
gregforry
post Mar 7 2008, 10:45 AM
Post #26

Advanced Member

Member No.: 14,266

("Hamlet":1m6v6s3b)
Interesting if you put all these pieces together you can make a Judge Dredd comic book. The Cover(greg), the pin up(mine), the insignia(Anthony) and the two interior(Mtopolski and Fixit).

Ha, ha... cool idea! : )

Thanks to Hamlet and to anyone else that had a compliment...it's much appreciated.

And especially thanks for any honest crits, as they are invaluable to improving the work.

Yeah,... some of you've noticed my severe slacking in the inking department. (*BUSTED!*) I kinda did a half-assed job inking (admittedly)...under the gun on other stuff...but that's never a good excuse, especially one one's looking for work in this area.

I intend to bring "tighter" stuff in the future... : )

All the other entries look a good bit more professional, too... good job everyone!

+Quote Post
Mark Topolski
post Mar 7 2008, 10:47 AM
Post #27

Mark A. Topolski

Member No.: 14,169

Just a few quick comments, if there is a tie, then I am given my vote for Mr. Fixit to pick the next topic, just cuz his is more finished than mine. If I happen to do win, does anybody have any suggestions? Would like to hear them, since I don't have a clue...

And lastly, I was reading Anthony Lee and kuzuSkot convo on inking, you can also just get an old sock, cut the bottom part off where your toes usually go and there ya go, a quick, cheap way of keep things clean, plus I do recommend using a piece of copy paper too, I usually cut a small square out that just covers my hand. I have been inking that way for the last fifteen years! Besides this last doodle, done in markers... don't ask me why!

Peace
MAT (mark)

--------------------
Peace
Mark A. Topolski

My email: mtopolski1@mac.com
My blog: http://www.markatopolski.com
My Art Gallery: http://mtopolski.deviantart.com
My Twitter: http://twitter.com/marktopolski

+Quote Post
mr.fixit
post Mar 7 2008, 10:53 AM
Post #28

Advanced Member

Member No.: 14,200

well i know some people have been itching to draw robots and such. How about we leave the next contest open to something like steampunk/cyberpunk?

there could be some cool entries with that. eh?

--------------------
huh? what you say?

+Quote Post
vector
post Mar 7 2008, 11:14 AM
Post #29

Advanced Member

Member No.: 3,125

the poll will close tonight at 12mid. I'm sure we can figure something out.

Steve

--------------------

+Quote Post
kuzu
post Mar 7 2008, 11:17 AM
Post #30

Advanced Member

mtopolski: honestly, the sock is a great idea! i hadn't thought of the glove in years, the guy that taught me that trick has passed on :(
markers, well known one really seems to care about original art anymore so i too use markers when i need to fill blacks. sharpie are the worse, but there cheap.

gregforry: yeah, busted, i would have liked to see you and anthony jam on that, it would have been much stronger.

also you touched on the main reason i stepped up and said something, i know you guys are looking to break in, if not today, one day... someone once told me, editors will look at your work and knock it down about 2 grades to get an idea of what your work will "Really" look like when pages start coming in. now i'm not sure how many really do that, but i do know, this board gets a fair amount of traffic from industry people, so it's a good idea to bring your A game.

but look on the bright side everyone, if it's steam or cyber punks for the next contest, you'll mostlikey get to take some shots at me :)

+Quote Post
Hamlet
post Mar 7 2008, 04:47 PM
Post #31

Advanced Member

How about a sequential page. That way you can build up your portfolio. Could be a fight scene quiet scene or dailaogue scene.

--------------------

www.faluninfo.net

+Quote Post
The Leader
post Mar 7 2008, 06:41 PM
Post #32

Advanced Member

Member No.: 13,924

Remember we do have sequentials coming up for the next Willow installment... did we ever get a determined winner on that Bill?

--------------------
Jake Sullivan

http://www.viciouscirclecomics.com/ Go read some issues.... costed for free

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Vicious-Circ...156351684413147 go "like" us on facebook for updates...

"Writing is a form of therapy; sometimes I wonder how all those who do not write, compose or paint can manage to escape the madness, the melancholia, the panic fear which is inherent in the human situation." - Graham Greene

+Quote Post
Bakersart
post Mar 7 2008, 06:44 PM
Post #33

Advanced Member

Member No.: 14,234

I didn't have time to do the art thing with so many grown up things to do - like taxes and home improvements, but I liked what all you guys did this week. I even missed the Willow contest and I was so bummed. I went with Hamlet's this time around because of the growth I've seen in his work. Good job dude. The only thing I would have done with that entry is crop it above about mid thigh - the knee thing is troubling, but the rest of the drawing shines. Sure there are some weak points but overall it was dynamic uncluttered and heroic.

Anthony I love your work, but the floating head thing was a little un-inspiring. Maybe its just me, but when you design something so - in your face (pun intended) the line quality should be - like perfect. Maybe not the right words, but take for example the upper right part of the helmet. As you are using rhythm lines to fade into a shadow - it would work so much better if you had rendered them better (even and consistant ). Just my opinion. Crits do sound harsh yikes!

Mtopolski (Mark) great entry - would have chosen yours (loved the rabbit, but trix are for kids- sorry just had to say that) but the bottom quarter was just too distracting. Sometimes less is more. Detail is great unless it distracts from the overall piece. It just made no sense spacially or otherwise so why is it there? And if he's in a spotlight even though the shape should be elliptical - a compassed circle would have looked so much better than free hand. Its such an important element.

Mr. Fixit Your entry was the flashiest and instantly drew in everyones attention, but the drawing had some fundamental flaws I couldn't get past. In this case, the great coloring hides some design issues. This is why the major houses want to see only inks, or only under drawings when you show your work. This isn't meant to be harsh (why am I always saying that) First, Dredd has no body. Second the hand coming out of the head albeit gory is really cartoonish. The hole closed in around his hand?! Too many elements are too confined. Example - triangles are strong compositional elements, but not when it confines all the action. Dynamically speaking you would have had a much stronger piece if thug in foreground's arms were outstretched not mimicking the shape of Dredd's left arm and being lost over the body of thug #2. Nice paintjob - great effects on the 3-d blood, but the painting is hiding the drawing not enhancing it. Do you know what I mean?

Greg nice entry, but the greyed character doesn't really fit does it? If its supposed to be a colored element then it should be finished that way. Its kinda busy and distracting. If it was a distance thing then his index fingernail wouldn't be over Dredds eagle arm guard/shoulder thing. Nice job on the shield, inks on Dredd a little weak and the arm could have worked better compositionally if it were off to the left (his right). It looks a little clumsy out in front of him. I think it has to do with where his shoulder and deltoids would need to be. I think if his arm were in that position his shoulder pads would have to come forward.

That's all I have to say. Hope it wasn't too much. I hope to be back at the drawing table soon.

+Quote Post
Hamlet
post Mar 7 2008, 10:54 PM
Post #34

Advanced Member

Good crits Baker. It's hard for me to be descriptive with critiques and you nailed it on these. thanks.

--------------------

www.faluninfo.net

+Quote Post
Mark Topolski
post Mar 7 2008, 11:20 PM
Post #35

Mark A. Topolski

it's a tie, so mr. fixit, go for it, I give to you...

Peace
MAT (Mark)

--------------------
Peace
Mark A. Topolski

+Quote Post
Anthony Lee_merg...
post Mar 8 2008, 03:06 AM
Post #36

Advanced Member

("Bakersart":2guytmmw)
Anthony I love your work, but the floating head thing was a little un-inspiring. Maybe its just me, but when you design something so - in your face (pun intended) the line quality should be - like perfect. Maybe not the right words, but take for example the upper right part of the helmet. As you are using rhythm lines to fade into a shadow - it would work so much better if you had rendered them better (even and consistant ). Just my opinion. Crits do sound harsh yikes!

No, that's not harsh, I understand it completely.
I look at the piece myself and see cut corners where time got the better of me.
Had I the luxury, I would've done some dry-brush on the helmet blacks, just to give it a little more sheen.
This is why I like this board so much... no-one will post a simple "you suck" and then run back to the anonymity that the net offers. Everyone steps up and tells people why it's not working without being insulting. It's all offered in the spirit of mutual improvement, and passing on something you may have learned.
I've stopped posting on some other boards due to some real haters out there that don't back up their opinions.

--------------------
ANTHONY'S COMICSPACE

+Quote Post
vector
post Mar 8 2008, 09:52 AM
Post #37

Advanced Member

Member No.: 3,125

it is a tie, you can leave it as a tie, or go for a draw off,or the both of you could make the choice of the next contest. let me know.

steve

--------------------

+Quote Post
Anthony Lee_merg...
post Mar 8 2008, 10:11 AM
Post #38

Advanced Member

Congrats guys! I look forward to the next subject!
Please... not the robots, with the angles, and the mega detail, and the geometry that breaks my brain... wibble!
Unless, perhaps maybe if those robots were those good old mutant hunting sentinels..? They're pretty cool.

--------------------
ANTHONY'S COMICSPACE

+Quote Post
Mark Topolski
post Mar 8 2008, 11:42 AM
Post #39

Mark A. Topolski

I don't care we can do whatever, a draw off sounds kind of cool, but how much time do we have and what is the subject?

My suggestions are these for the next subject(s) not in any order; Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy, TMNT (Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles) The Joker or Joker and Harley Quinn, Women of X (X-Men women), Buffy the Vampire Slayer and or Vampirella. Oh, maybe Superman just cuz it was his 70th birthday so we could do a Happy B-Day thingy, just a thought...

Peace
MAT (Mark)

--------------------
Peace
Mark A. Topolski

+Quote Post
mr.fixit
post Mar 8 2008, 12:47 PM
Post #40

Advanced Member

Member No.: 14,200

I'm up for either a draw off or superman. Either one is cool with me. :)

--------------------
huh? what you say?

+Quote Post

4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th October 2014 - 09:16 AM