3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
What a Season!!!
Ron Fortier
post Oct 7 2009, 11:59 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,427

Well, if you were lucky enough to catch that tie-breaker final game between the Detroit Tigers and the Minnesota Twins last night, you saw a humdinger of a 12 inning dog-fight that was perhaps one of the finest game played all year long. Somehow a fitting end to the season. Sadly the Tigers came out on the short of the stick losing 6-5, but they have nothing to
be ashamed of, both teams left it all out on the field.
So in a few minutes now, the play-offs begin full tilt.
Rockies vs the Phillies.
Yankees vs the Twins,
Dodgers vs the Cardinals,
and then tomorrow night it will be
Red Sox vs Angels.
Lets hope these games are half as exciting as the Tigers/Twins wrap-up.
And as always, may the best team win.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Glen Davis
post Oct 7 2009, 12:08 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 2,419

That was a great game. A nail biter to the very end.

+Quote Post
Glen Davis
post Oct 7 2009, 03:33 PM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Phillies won 5-1. All the Phillies runs came in the 3 inning, but the Rockies never gave up, scoring a run in the top of the 9.

+Quote Post
Ron Fortier
post Oct 7 2009, 04:04 PM
Post #4

Cliff Lee was great. But I'm not counting the Rockies out. As you said, they battled even at the top of the ninth. Looks to be a good series. Now its time for Aaron's Yanks against the bulldog Twins.

+Quote Post
Glen Davis
post Oct 7 2009, 09:14 PM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Yanks won, in what I hought was a desultory manner.

Next up, Cards and Dodgers.

+Quote Post
Ron Fortier
post Oct 8 2009, 10:45 AM
Post #6

Well, guys, we actually had one surprise! Dodgers beat the Cardinals. Honestly didn't see that coming. What with how bad the Dodgers have been slumping the last month, and how good pitcher Chris Carpenter is, odds-makers had the Cards walking away with this one. Hmmm. Okay, so here's how we stand now. Yanks, Phillies and Dodgers each
with a victory. My continued predictions. Yanks will sweep Twins. Yanks totally out-gun them. Colorado will take at least one, then fold. And I'm still betting the Cards come out on top of the Dodgers.
As for Red Sox and Angels that kick off tonight. Angels ended season on strong beat, while Red Sox were bloody awful. Still, these are the play-offs and anything can happen.
I'm rooting for the hometown Sox, but don't have a warm fuzzy feeling.

+Quote Post
Glen Davis
post Oct 8 2009, 12:52 PM
Post #7

Advanced Member

The pitching for the Cards just wasn't there.

+Quote Post
Glen Davis
post Oct 8 2009, 04:41 PM
Post #8

Advanced Member

The Rockies edged out the Phillies for game 2. What a great game. it was down to the last pitch.

+Quote Post
Ron Fortier
post Oct 8 2009, 08:48 PM
Post #9

Dodgers pulled it off in the bottom of the 9th!! Wow. What the hell is wrong with the Cards? Thrilled the Rockies pulled it off and are going back to Denver all tied up. Now
watching the Red Sox and Angels go head to head.

+Quote Post
Glen Davis
post Oct 8 2009, 09:37 PM
Post #10

Advanced Member

The Cards choked! I don't even want to think of the calisthenics and laps I'd have to do if I ever screwed up like that in a high school game.

+Quote Post
Ron Fortier
post Oct 9 2009, 08:23 AM
Post #11

Talk about a jaw-dropping moment!!! I still haven't completely recovered. Just plain nuts!!! As for the Red Sox choking, what's new? That's how badly they've been playing the last two months. Why should the play-offs be any different? Still my team, but realistically, they're done for this year.

+Quote Post
Ron Fortier
post Oct 10 2009, 06:34 AM
Post #12

Sox are down 2 games to zip. Sorry to say I totally predicted that one. As for the Yankees 12 inning walk off against the Twins, just plain scary. Nobody can beat those guys.
End of story.

+Quote Post
AaronSmith
post Oct 10 2009, 06:43 AM
Post #13

Advanced Member

Member No.: 2,836

This years Yankees' lineup is the most resilient team I've ever seen. They just don't give up.
And the poor Twins. Every single time they've played at Yankee Stadium this year they had the lead and wound up losing.
I hope these last two games finally get people to shut up about A-Rod's postseason problems. He's driven in 5 of the Yanks' 11 runs so far.

That was a bad call by the umpire last night when he called that ball in left field foul; should have been a hit for Joe Mauer, but missed calls are part of the game.

I'm kind of sorry to see the Red Sox doing so badly. Facing the ASngels in the next round scares me more than the Sox this year.

This post has been edited by AaronSmith: Oct 10 2009, 06:45 AM

+Quote Post
Ron Fortier
post Oct 10 2009, 09:02 AM
Post #14

Trust me, Aaron, the Angels pose no threat to the Yankees. They are just looking good because of how easily they are beating the Red Sox. Truth is, for the past two months
the Red Sox have been bloody awful and can't pitch or hit. Ergo, their defeat to the Angels comes as no surprise. And if the Angels go to New York with some kind of pumped up self-worth because they beat the Sox, they are being delusional and the Yankees will wake them up fast. They are no match for the Bronx Bombers. No team is.

+Quote Post
AaronSmith
post Oct 11 2009, 02:18 PM
Post #15

Advanced Member

Ouch. Poor Red Sox. I knew they were done as soon as they decided to walk Hunter to get to Vlad. I know Vlad's older and hasn't done so well in the postseason, but you don't walk a guy to load the bases for the guy who's knocking on Cooperstown's door! I thought they would take game 3, but it wasn't to be.

I hope the Yankees can finish off the Twins tonight and get some rest before the Angels come to town.

+Quote Post
Ron Fortier
post Oct 11 2009, 03:23 PM
Post #16

Aaron, it was totally bad managing from the start. Papelbon has been lackluster all season and at the bottom of the eight, with two outs, Francona should have allowed Wagner to finish the inning. Instead he brings hi Pap who immediately gives up a shot that brings in two runs and brings the score to within one run. Right there and then I knew we were done. He can't get one out, how the hell is he going to get three in the ninth? And of course he didn't.
None of this was a surprise. As you recall, I predicted this last week. And I'm still telling you, the Angels have no chance against your Yankees. The real predictor here seems to be my wife, Valerie. All along she said it was going to be the Dodgers and Yankees, with Joe Tore going up against his old crew. Looking more and more like she's going to nail it.

+Quote Post
AaronSmith
post Oct 11 2009, 06:24 PM
Post #17

Advanced Member

Looks like we have a serious pitcher's duel tonight. Pettitte vs. Pavano with no score so far in the 5th. Pettite has allowed only 1 baserunner so far, and 2 for Pavano.

+Quote Post
Ron Fortier
post Oct 11 2009, 06:43 PM
Post #18

Lately the hallmark of the American League has been the stellar pitching. This year was no exception. Voting for the Cy Young in this league is always tough as hell, as you have so many damn good candidates.

+Quote Post
Glen Davis
post Oct 12 2009, 10:20 PM
Post #19

Advanced Member

Phillies beat the Rockies. I really thought for a while the Rockies would take it, but they lost their composure.

+Quote Post
Ron Fortier
post Oct 13 2009, 05:27 AM
Post #20

Aaron, it was totally deja vue, reminding me of Jonathan Papelbon on Sunday afternoon unable to put the Angels away at the top of the ninth. So here are the Rockies, one out away from winning a forcing a game five, and their closer, Houston Street, can't get one final out!!! All too weird. Anyway, Valerie is so smug these days, her prediction of
a Yankees - Dodgers series only one round away.

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st September 2014 - 04:06 AM